Ryza pre and post heresy army : painting blog

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Long time without posting...

I've finally finished my third knight.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Imperial%20Knights/7CEA0530-E788-4CCF-890A-FF59E68519C6.jpg

Now I will concentrate on my deathwatch project as I reached the playable goal initially planned but I want to make further adds on like more onagers and have lots of skitarii vanguards (those shiny oplites look really inspiring :D )

Weathering looks really good here, have you improved the recipe or is it a case of practise makes perfect? Great work on another excellent model :D

Actually the technic is unchanged : brown applied with blister foam then metal on the edges... The only difference is that I ran out of rhinox hide and used dryad dark... :D

• 4 months later...

Threadomancy!

I've started to expand my skitarii since the release of Belisarius (I now can use skitarii in a CAD yeepee!)

I want to play a troop heavy list such like this :

Belisarius

10 Hoplites

10 peltasts

10 Peltasts

10 Vanguards with 3 arc rifles

10 Vanguards with 3 arc rifles

10 Vanguards without special weapons

10 Rangers with 3 transuranic arquebuse

1 sydonian dragoon

1 sydonian dragoon

2 Onagers with neutron laser

2 Onagers with neutron laser

2 Onagers with eradication rays

I've always loved the description of the skitarii as expandable troopers and I wanted to play a list that reflect this aspect.

But in order to play this list, I need to paint more model, and it starts with a big one : Belisarius Cawl... Or I may say Iaghova Retsam, the Grand Orderer of Ryza.

This is a WIP shot after one hour of work :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Mechanicus/37C2CE55-F335-405F-ABEF-ED86A4E22ED1.jpg

More to come in a few days... :wink:

Edited by Master Avoghai

Wow... you get  lot done in an hour's work. I look forward to the finished result.

Those Knights look wonderful. I'm surprised I've not seen them before. I hope my Knights turn out as well when I try working on them.

Great finish!  He has a very "ancient and gritty" look to him, like he's been sorting through musty archives and personally engaging in mining expeditions.  I think it's a perfect fit for the backstory of the Archmagos!  :happy.:

Cawl and the Rangers look brilliant! I'm looking forward to my own Ryza-themed Cawl in due course, so plenty of inspiration here. Looking forward to seeing the batch of Vanguard!

• 2 weeks later...

MOAR vanguards!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Mechanicus/CD83A68E-A6AE-4676-AF45-10A30054AA77.jpg

Now my force counts :

- 10 vanguards with 3 arc rifles

- 10 vanguards with 3 arc rifles

- 10 rangers with 3 transuranic arquebuses

+ 3 additionnal vanguard with plasma calivers

I stil have 4 more bodies, I think I'll use them to make 3 rangers with plasma calivers for the case I want to play a full plasma war convocation.

The next step will be to mount 10 peltasts and 10 hoplites. Then I think I'll mount 2 more onagers in order to play a 1500 pts list. I'm reaaly looking forward mounting those hopltes and peltasts because even though it's still vanguards, it's new type of designs to paint...

Nice work!  I love how everything in your army has a grungy, battle-worn look to it.  As if they've been on campaign for a looong time without a return to the blessed soil of Ryza  :)

The picture of the Ballistarius is great, but due to the way the magnetized parts are positioned it looks like he's rescuing somebody from quicksand. :) I like the heavy weathering you've applied around the feet in particular.

I've started working on the FW skitarii variants.

I first wanted to make them all 20 together, but after starting the skag brown layer of the 14th skitarii, I realized how much this idea was bad :rolleyes:

So I've continued the work only on the peltasts and will do the hoplites after...

Here's the WIP

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Mechanicus/FE7982C7-60F9-4A46-8E34-1C43CDAD888E.jpg

Looking really neat. Breaking down into smaller batches does help if you're worried about getting burnout. Perhaps I'll do the same when I start my next batch of Skitarii.