Inquisitor Valeria Mane Retenio

I see what you mean.  I might have to take an additional 10 models (5 for a squad and 5 for command squad of Guard).  That could give me a group of troops to provide stationary cover fire for my warband.

It looks like you have the required 10 bullgryns, all you'd need is a PCS, and you could run the rampart detachment, which is essentially a walking ADL, they get a 3+ save while in base contact, and 4+ cover to any unit behind them. Plus they still shoot. You wouldn't get Nork, but still, you wouldn't have to go unbound to get all of your bullgryns, thus allowing you to keep your command benefits with your inquisition det.

Just food for thought.

Hmmmm good advice, I could run Sgt Jones as a Bonehead instead of as Nork.  of course if I just wait a few months they will probably give the Guard D cannons, special rules and independent characters for anything that touches the table.  

Go go Decurion Inquisitors!

I did get the weird idea that dust will build up on my models and I did not like that idea after spending this time painting them.  So I decided to make a small display shelf for the warband.  I took some 1/4 inch plywood and a small piece of plexiglass and spent the afternoon making a small box that I will turn into a diorama for displaying the Inquisitors growing warband.

I used a little caulk to clean up the corners, and the plexiglass slides sideways to allow me to get to the models.  I plan to add a small light to the top on a timer so it shows up in the morning and afternoon when I am home.  I am blindly entrusting my ability to paint "happy little trees" on the background.  The hill is made of styrofoam with napkins coated in PVA glue.  I hope my artistic abilities hold true for a short while longer.  I still need to varnish the box and add a frontal frame (like a picture frame) to it.  

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20007_zpsrxjpqppc.jpg

The raised hill area has soggy PVA glue loaded napkins covering it.  Use the power of imagination to see it covered with brown flocking, some rocky outcroppings and some suitable snow effects to simulate a cold wintry world.  

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20005_zps9yvmilgm.jpg

I will be able to secure this to the wall easily with some wall anchor screws and since it is so lightweight, it should be stable unless someone rams into it.  

IF it works well, I plan to create similar boxes to display the rest of my models.  In army specific cases, with lighting and all on a timer.  or I could just keep them all on my normal bookshelf gathering dust and kitty hair for the next couple years.  

I really hope this works.

Here is what it looks like with the current models crammed into it.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20021_zpsy1zyilfh.jpg

I know it's a more expensive option, but a Detolf would do the trick beautifully, and it comes with a light. I actually need to get a couple, one for my Warhammer collection, and the other for My Macross Collection. They come out to about 60-70 USD, which isn't that bad considering (It'll probably be more for you being on an Island and all, unless you have an Ikea close by...). Still you might find them on ebay for cheap. It also looks a bit nicer than a plywood shadow box, since it's glass al around and is lighted, you get more light on the models and it shows off the detail better. 

As for collecting dust, mine spend most of their time in the cases unless I'm playing, since I have nowhere to display them, and the less nerdy stuff I have displayed around my apartment when I bring a guest home, the better.

That would be sweet if I had any space for it.  Tiny island and expensive rent means little room and hard to get furniture.  I am hoping that I can make shadowboxes that cover the walls like paintings.  I have loads of room for that and no worries about "guests"  mine has been around for nearly six years.  She actually prefers me doing this than drinking with the boys at night.  

I got lucky on the girl, shes as nerdy as me.  

You sir are fortunate, on the wife, not the lack of space. I'm not really a bar kind of guy, too expensive, and I generally dislike people, and I have a bad habit of getting tossed out. 

I looked at your conversion work over in the Guard Subforum,  I didn't realize that you had only six bullgryns with slabshields and grenade gauntlets, you'd need 4 more for the rampart detachment (Sanctus reach supplement, I forget what page but it's in there), and you couldn't take the power maul guys. That may not be the way you want to go, I just thought I'm mention that.

Made some good progress on the display tonight.  I painted the inside and outside and managed to sprinkle dirt and snow flocking on the base.  I might get a little more fake snow, but overall I am pleased with how things are working out.  The Land Raiders made the box pretty deep, but I would like to try making a few other shadow box dioramas to display and keep my models dust free.  I still need to make a frame to fit around the front of the box to give it that "picture on the wall" effect I want.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20001_zps2ycnt1ev.jpg

A slightly crooked picture of the display case showing the OP light I had lying around from an old aquarium setup.  

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20004_zps0qjcsr6r.jpg

I am still waiting on my psykers to show up.   I doubt they will arrive in time to finish for the ETL, but I worry more that they will fill the display case to maximum.  I must think of some ways to maximize ways to hold more figurines without creating a huge horizontal space.   

Seriously love the display case idea. I've got a glass fronted unit that I wanted to use to display my models. You've inspired me to get on with it (post ETL of course)!!!

I managed to build a frame for the front and have the whole display case mounted to the wall now.  I am really happy with how it came out, and I am especially happy that I do not have to worry about dust or cat hair building up on my models.  http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20008_zpsyd2aum1c.jpg

Hopefully my psykers will arrive soon and I can add them to the warband. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am still waiting on my psyker models to arrive, but I did enter the Liber challenge and took the time to create an easily overlooked member of the war band.  Dr Albious Brighton.  Sitting just slightly to the right of the Blessed Inquisitor Valeria Mane Retento.  

I present Inquisitor Brighton 

Name:  Dr Albious Brighton   
Planet of origin: Rigant     

Theatres of War engaged in
Dr Brighton was born 714 M41 as part of a genetics project of the Ministorium Pharmacologica.  He was 
raised as an apprentice of the medical services of the Administratum researching alien devices and 
their usefulness regarding human applications.  During his education he was able to repeatedly make 
direct contact with Eldar and demi human groups to directly research their methods of medical 
services.  Several Inquisitorial agents involved with the Ordo Xenos collaborated directly with Ordo 
Hereticus oversight to ensure that no dangerous programs would be allowed to filter back into 
Imperial programs.  

Dr Brighton worked as a direct person of contact with the Eldar of Trathain Exodite world.  His 
personable nature and advanced research regarding Eldar customs and behavior was of great value 
during this rare collaborative program.  The Eldar, usually reserved and Xenophobic had a need of 
External sources of distraction for the Current Military leadership to retain stability of their 
civilian population.  Dr Brightons visits were widely regarded by the Eldar as an attempt by the Mon 
Key to Seek aid against the growing threat of Tyranid incursion.  In reality the Pretense brought 
forth of Tyranic threat from Hive fleet Behemoth was a diplomatic ice breaker to gather insight into 
the elusive society of the Exodite Eldar.  Dr Brighton would travel back and forth to his homeworld
of Rigant several times while visiting the Exodite Eldarr bringing data samples each time.  During his
most successful trip he was entrusted with a small relic in the shape of a stylized sun with a circular
moon in the middle of it.  Polished steel without any seam and slighty vibrating to the touch.  A rare Eldar
Displacement field generator that could mask the appearance of a small transport so as to disappear
and seem to be several feet away from its true location.

Earning such a rare present from the Eldar brought Dr. Brighton to the attention of the Ordo Xenos 
Inquisitors he was Assigned under.  They quickly secreted the item away and worked to find its source 
of power and how it could be controlled.  Inquisitor Caelumix Aranthos of the Ordo Xenos assigned to 
the Exodite project brought the young doctor into his personal retinue and began careful observation. 
 Suspicion and worry about Xenos tech and corruption of the human spirit always hung in the 
background of their activities.  Dr Brighton continued in his service to Inquisitor Aranthos for 
several more years, developing a more involved understanding of the methods used by the Inquisition 
and how he could use his skills and intellect to advance the cause of humanity.

In 745 M41 Hive fleet Behemoth appeared as an unstopable force moving acros the galaxy.  Inquisitor 
Aranthos was one of several Inquisitorial agents sent to investigate this new threat and to assess 
the realistic danger and threat of these biogenic monsters.  Dr. Albious turned his education toward 
the tasks of understanding the Tyranid weapons and lifeforms brought to him.  His skill at handling 
these dangerous beasts and insight into their alien ways brought him much acclaim.  It was during 
these early experiences with the Tyranid, that he was recalled to a Black warp craft and brought into 
the Inquisition as a full Agent.

He was assigned into the Ordo Xenos with a focus on the Tyranic threat.  A modest starship, the 
Midnight Watching was granted to him  and he took on a full staff of medical personnel and military 
personnel.  Their task was to gather any relevant data about locations, activities physical 
adaptations and genetic weaknesses that could be used by the Imperium.
It was during this time that the good doctor also began using a modified mark IV dreadnought suit to 
assist him with heavy lifting on larger Tyranic lifeforms.  Weapons mounts were added to provide some 
degree of combat readiness after regenerative properties were discovered in several specimens that 
were wrongly thought to be fully dead.

After the Battle of Maccrage, the Tyranic fleets dispersed widely into small manageable hordes and it 
was during this time that Dr. Brighton honed his skills at tracking data and Warp signatures to 
predict sites where Tyranids would appear.  This often brought little succor to the worlds in the way 
of these micro fleets, but with proper preparation, many were spared or made able to evacuate.
Having performed such a singular activity within the Inquisition, the next few decades stretched on 
into centuries of the doctor dissecting the bodies of reported aliens thought to be Tyranids and 
searching for their disappearing trails.  As an aged scholar and warrior of nearly three hundred 
years, the doctors worst fears proved true.  A Tyranic attack appearing in the Eastern Fringe.  

Hive fleet Kraken was announced by the upheaval of Ichar IV and the genestealer infested population 
heralded the arrival of a shocking mass of Tyranid specimens.
Roused from his laboratories deep within the Fortress upon Talasa Prime to research the extent of 
this new Invasion.  Once again, the doctors ability to predict routes and forces of the invading 
organisms was astounding.  When the beasts were found to be headed towards the Eldar craftworld 
Iyaden.  The decision to allow the Xenos threat to handle itself was unanimous among his peers and 
with little effort to keep the monsters from straying from their path of Xenos destruction, the 
Imperial forces restrained themselves from wasting resources.

Because of the good doctors long ago standing with the Eldar species, he was assigned two young 
Inquisitorial acolytes from the Ordo Hereticus.  Each was assigned the task of observation and also 
military activities in the region.  Acolyte Rogal Harth was a dour man raised from birth aboard 
starships.  He had never known anything but military life and the endless metal passageways of the 
massive craft used by the Empire.  Acolyte Valeria Mane was born planet side in an Echlesiastic world 
in the Ophelia system.  She was devoted fully to the imperial doctrine and possessed a keen mind.  
Her ability to absorb the massive information the doctor could offer endeared her to him despite the 
obvious reporting she would do on his activities.

In 997 M41 hive fleet Leviathan appeared across the galaxy in a bold new attack.  The doctor found himself 
researching new mutations and species that were unknown before.  With the overwhelming force 
presented, confusion reigned as the Tyranids attacked mercilessly.  The doctors home world of Rigant 
was attacked when tendrils of the fleet consuming Tesla Prime discovered the doctors research 
facility there.  

Having long since worked out what parts of the Tyranid mind was responsible for controlling smaller 
specimens, the doctor would remove the required parts, link that to life support and then connect 
pain amplifiers to it.  Using Psykers as living energy boosters, these experimental projects of his 
would lure Tyranids to a specific point then assault them with a intense scream of raw pain that 
overwhelmed their minds for as long as the devices were active.  The cost for human psykers was an 
acceptable way to use their filthy abilities and recieved the full support of the Ordo Herecticus 
during his trials.

Drawn by the macabre experimental specimens, the Tyranids were butchered as they were lead to traps, 
and carefully planned incidents.  Sadly the once luxurious plains of Rigant were destroyed and would 
never bear wholesome fruit again.  During one of these incidents, the doctor was severely wounded and 
required extensive life support to extend his life.  His dreadnought unit was modified to allow him 
to integrate fully into its systems.  However, he was no longer able to be trusted with his own 
safety after being exposed to so many psionics during his experiments.  Truly, his experimental 
devices had enfeebled his mind to a great degree and he became almost oblivious to the world.
But he retained a final spark of brilliance.  The psionic backlash of those devices had amplified his 
ability to predict upcoming events and those that had passed.  Never again could his mind be able to 
act independently, but his mind was far too valuable to waste. 

During those final days, the Assault mentally and physically from the Tyranids had killed one of his 
Ordo Hereticus watchers, but The Acolyte Valeria Mane was promoted for her service to the Inquisition 
and in her holy goodness, took Dr. Brightons crippled body and his battered dreadnought war machine 
and forged a new holy shrine from it that she might face her enemies and have all the faithfulness of 
her wisest teacher alongside her always.  His voice lost to psychic damage, but his words ever spread 
by his holy pen as he scribes the details of all that passes for only her eyes to see.

Notable characters engaged with 

Inquisitor Kryptman often engaged in overlapping operations.  Dr. Brightons resources were always 
focused on laboratory work and only would venture into combat if needed or to collect specimens.

Today my psykers arrived.  After a perilous voyage that took weeks, they have materialized from the warp and are preparing to recieve their purity seals and other minor modifications.  Perhaps I can even squeeze them in before the ETL finishes.

I am rather curious what models they were originally.  I have had no luck figuring it out on my own.  

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20001_zpsmk6cdnr2.jpg

Awesome!  I figured the bodies out too.  Flagellant warband.  I was going nuts trying to sort out where these models had come from.  Thank you so much for the insight.

This morning I had the chance to add some decorative bits to these psykers.  No man or woman of the Empire should be trusted with psychic abilities without the most careful of safeguards.

Chained by the neck, and bearing Imperial seals of purity, these psyker acolytes are entrusted to the care of Inquisitor Mane.  Individually able to generate a small mental blast, when they combine efforts the blast becomes shockingly powerful and able to clear hordes of enemies.  

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20001_zpshwhmxdqk.jpg

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20002_zpskgvredu6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do love your female Inquisitor.

Always found the Karamazov a fairly boring static model myself.

He's an old man that's sitting down, mate! What else do you expect tongue.png?

That you've made a wall space for your models blows me away. It looks very nice so that's always good, too. That's one too many psykers for me but, hey, every Inquisitor knows what they like.

That you've made a wall space for your models blows me away. It looks very nice so that's always good, too. That's one too many psykers for me but, hey, every Inquisitor knows what they like.

A Parade of Vengence, Blackjack and Hookers!

The imperium is run by people hundreds of years in age, he has no excuse. ;)

The main question should be Radical or Puritan?

A Parade of Vengence, Blackjack and Hookers!

The imperium is run by people hundreds of years in age, he has no excuse. ;)

The main question should be Radical or Puritan?

Most definitely puritan...in a radical way.

• 2 weeks later...

Puritan.  But with a rare acceptance of Psykers and Abhumans.  Heavily influenced by a deep distrust of anything alien or even of the political games of humans.   

Speaking of Psykers.  

Robes stained deep crimson weigh heavily upon the tired bodies assembled.  Tears and mysterious stains their only decoration.  A long rusted chain is welded into place upon their leather collars.  Brief glimpses of worn and rusted armor are visible between the folds of their dark robes.  Each man wields a towering spear fashioned with a grinning skull insignia.  Tattered scrolls of ancient text bearing words of condemnation and praise are affixed to spears, the bright red rubbery wax forging a permanent seal to the rusted and worn weapons.  And hidden just beyond view, concealed within their darkened hoods, green sparks of light break forth from each mans eyes.  The malevolent power of the Pyker overflowing their tired bodies and leaking painfully out through the windows to their souls.

Inquisitor Mane climbs aboard her might dreadnought chassis.  Dr Brighton at her side in a permanent study of things unknowable.  Mr Bob freshly replaced with a most entertaining young man who would call himself nobility.  She motioned her mighty armor forward up the loading ramp of her transport shuttle.  Her Repentia host silently following her in two single file rows.  Each womans step timed perfectly with the others.  Moving in an undisciplined mass  her new Psyker adepts huddled together and followed their new Liege aboard.  Finally the Bullgryn Brutes shambled up the ramp in two orderly lines.  A hiss of electrified air signaled the raising of the loading ramp.

Soon she would be back in orbit landing in her flagship.  The Black form of the freighter that brought the Psykers had already fallen into line with her Cruiser.   Tonight she should receive word of where to meet these Predatory Astartes she had been asked to investigate.  Carcharodons, assigned to turn the route of a Tyranid fleet.  Dr Brightons growing anxiety betrayed his mindless activity.  Sporadic reports of Tyranid related topics would come up.  And  partial reports of these grey armored marines.  Savagery and a history of isolation.  In the darkness of space, what had these mighty foes become while away from the Emperors light.

The 10 Pskyers assigned to Inquisitor Mane.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20003_zpsho9tdlc4.jpg

Tattered robes and rusty armor.  The green glow of warp produced psyker powers leaks from the eyes and fingers of these men.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20001_zpsnmiunurz.jpg

When mobilized to action these men pool their thoughts into a single blast of great power.  Able to fell mighty beasts of take down powerful armored foes.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20014_zps9mf9dihk.jpg

Flanked by Bullgryns for protection and with Repentia furiously attacking in front of them, these psychic warriors succumb to the fury around them.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/aaron_hunt3/Iphonepics%20013_zpstpxuxzzg.jpg

Archived