Orogen ETL vow(s) update thread

Orogen

Hello all!

It's a pain to keep eyes on the prize when chasing kids around so I figured I'd start a thread and post progress, such that it is, to keep me rolling. I am apologizing in advance for the image quality - the point and effort will be to get SOMETHING posted, but when things progress a bit I'll try to get better shots. For now, it's pretty basic stuff.

So without further ado, here is my first update:

gallery_9126_10831_230927.jpg

So not a lot to write home about, but hey it's a struggle to get this far!

A few things of note:

The dread is primed and I'll start getting some color on him shortly.

This is my first major attempt at using an airbrush - I've only done very small odds and ends before.  The command squad has been based, first coated and highlighted so now I'm going back with a standard brush and hitting black and gunmetal which will start to really show what's what.  The next pic should be pretty cool looking, but I'm quite pleased with time vs coverage to this point.  VERY helpful tool that airbrush.

The power fist in the background is taunting me - I really want to paint it up for ETL (Reaver titan).  I've had it for years but I have such a backlog and it won't be seeing the table anytime soon where the rest of my grey marines might.

With my next update, I'll try to get my Sang. priests up - they're just primed for now but I don't want to do white armor so I'm struggling with color scheme.

Cheers all!

-Orogen

Keep it up brother.

I know first hand how difficult it is to find time to keep a WIP / Blog thread updated regularly, but its really rewarding in the long run.

What is that enourmous fist in the backgorund of the first picture from, some kind of Titan?

Keep it up brother.

I know first hand how difficult it is to find time to keep a WIP / Blog thread updated regularly, but its really rewarding in the long run.

What is that enourmous fist in the backgorund of the first picture from, some kind of Titan?

Thanks for the encouragement!  Did a bit yesterday, once I get the gold down I'll post another pic.  Hopefully later today.

And yup, Reaver titan.  It's just begging to get painted... but there's 2 whole bike squads at least I'd like to hit first.

Cheers!

-Orogen

Ok, they're still not much to look at but I'm just about past my least favorite part - base coating on the details. A few more things to hit, then on to ink and wash, then highlighting when it finally comes together. Will try to get the dread going next to have something to do to keep my eyes from getting crossed. Man, these new minis are so detailed, it's crazy!

gallery_9126_10831_131999.jpg Cheers!

-Orogen

I feel your pain. Its why I changed my strategy for this ETL. Last year I had promised to paint 23 assault marines in chain...I didn't make it just because there was no reward of them being finished.

This time around I get little rewards each time I finish a squad of whatever I'm painting!

Well, it ain't much but it represents some good progress. Still can't get a good pic - promise to get some good ones after this step.

So here I've got the 4 non-priest/apoth command guys inked and washed - next step on them is to pick out details, fix a few messy bits, highlight and they're set! They'll start to look like something in the next pic, which I'm excited for.

The dread has been basecoated and the red highlighted. I'll have to go thru and base the details, getting him ready for wash/ink as well but covered good ground today.

Cheers!

gallery_9126_10831_220071.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What the heck?! A guy doesn't update his thread for 2 weeks and you guys move on and bury it?? tongue.png

Ok, so seriously my plan for consistent updates hasn't exactly panned out but I have been making slow if not steady progress.

gallery_9126_10831_333304.jpg

gallery_9126_10831_292432.jpg

They're not quite done, but ~80% there I'd say.  The dread is coming along - I imagine my next update will be these 4 guys done and the dread inked and washed.  That will be a good spot - still have the apoth and priest to go but my vow is moving forward.

Sorry, I can't find good lighting at all - any suggestions?  The flash on the camera washes everything out but I don't have a good, strong light in my house I can really make them shine.

Cheers all!  Off the put the kids to bed and maybe steal a few more minutes of brush time...

-Orogen

They're not quite done, but ~80% there I'd say.  The dread is coming along - I imagine my next update will be these 4 guys done and the dread inked and washed.  That will be a good spot - still have the apoth and priest to go but my vow is moving forward.

Sorry, I can't find good lighting at all - any suggestions?  The flash on the camera washes everything out but I don't have a good, strong light in my house I can really make them shine.

Cheers all!  Off the put the kids to bed and maybe steal a few more minutes of brush time...

-Orogen

I have the same issue.

I either wait and take pictures on my stuff in natural light in the morning before work, orcut the front off a shoe box, and reflect the light from a bedside lamp onto the model with a sheet of A4 paper. (you really need two people for that one).

Thanks for the link, some good tips.  As sad as they look, my pics are actually with a digital camera - hell some even with my reasonably ok sony SLR!  I gotta root around the house and find some good lighting - even outside in natural light I'm getting poor images.  I'll try some different backdrops, even print out something and see if I can't get something spiffy together when this first group is finally done.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Ha, wow blown up like that I see ALL KINDS of problems... but at this point it's time to move on.  Got other guys to do, and would like to ramp up to vow #2!

In any case, I'm pretty pleased with the results.  Not the best around, but I'll take it.  I learned a bunch using the airbrush for the first time - I went light on the highlighting, etc and I think next time I'll have to be more heavy-handed for a bigger contrast.  I'll be working on the priest and apothecary tonight actually so may put this experience to good use already.  Got those 2 models and finishing touches on these guys then that's it for my vow.  It's taken me far longer then I wanted but I'm almost there at least.

Cheers!

-Orogen

Archived