Alpharius and Insideous mastermind

v6v77

The XXth greets you brothers (and sisters)

I was wondering what peoples interpretation of Alpharius' insideous mastermind rule is.

As i understand it it basically states that on a 4+ the enemy reserves dont come in and yours if of the same unit type (e.g any infantry for infantry be it termies for tacs. Doesnt have to be like for like) comes in instead automatically.

Can some one just check i havent made a mistake so i can apologise to the necron player i just beat by bringing in my fire raptor instead of his transport flyer with lychguard and proceeding to unleash seven hells against him. So much win.

But i digress

Thanks

V

the insidious mastermind rule really only works for legion vs legion. its supposed to be alpha legion marines pretending to be another legion, until the last moment when they show their true loyalties.

"Same exact unit entry type" is very specific. Unless you necron player was somehow intending to bring a fire raptor in from reserves, you would not be able to bring on your fire raptor as a replacement.

~K

• 2 years later...

That makes this rule very situational, probability of the enemy army having the exact same unit type in reserve as you do is quite low. So its a pretty useless rule.

That makes this rule very situational, probability of the enemy army having the exact same unit type in reserve as you do is quite low. So its a pretty useless rule.

In pick up/random/tournament games, yes. But the game is mostly oriented around the narrative. And the narrative of the AL is based around using others stuff; bringing in a unit of your regular opponent's elite with Coils of the Hydra, for example.

The thing that makes it more situational is that you're bringing in your reserve just before the enemy shooting phase, without an opportunity to run into Cover or shoot, which is logically their reason for existing.

The way in which is works best is by using it to counter an enemy Drop Pod list. As any unit comes in via a Drop Pod, you can quite easily attempt to remove the Drop Pod by bringing in your own drop podded unit. 

Hehe, so when opponent is bringing in a drop pod from reserve, if you also have one, yours come in instead regardless of the content of the opponent's and your drop pod. How sneaky and Alpha Legionish! :)

Archived