I`ve recently started a catachan army and just noticed some more affordable sets taken out from GW webstore - namely the defence force and HWSs.

Although it says they`re 'temporarily out of stock', do you think they`re actually gonna be back?

What do you think about popularity of Catachans and their future in general? Are they gonna make it?

Stock quantities vary. iirc the Catachan range hasn't been selling very well for the past few years, to the point where I haven't seen a box of them in-store since 2011/2012ish. If they aren't selling there isn't really an incentive to restock them as frequently. I could be wrong, mind you.

They really could do with an update, though. The Catachan's haven't aged well at all, although they do offer more dynamism in comparison to the Cadian's. I'm hoping we'll at least see a revamped infantry platoon set for the pair of them in the next few years. Either that or retire the Catachan completely and phase in another prominent IG regiment, like the Valhallans.

If the unit is still there in the store and it says "Temporarily Unavailable" or the like, but has an "E-mail Me" button, then it is likely coming back. If the item is "No Longer Available", then it's gone and isn't getting remade/reprinted and will likely be taken out of the store soon.

If the unit is still there in the store and it says "Temporarily Unavailable" or the like, but has an "E-mail Me" button, then it is likely coming back. If the item is "No Longer Available", then it's gone and isn't getting remade/reprinted and will likely be taken out of the store soon.

You sure `bout that? No need to stock up on Catachan Heavy Weapons while they`re available at my local retailer?

I hope Catachans will remain one of the main plastic IG/AM ranges - they`re the only reason I considered and started an IG army and I even like their Infantry squad sprues - I totally understand why people don`t like them, but I do :) even though they could deffinitely use more bits and cool equipment parts.

Personally, I don`t see Valhallans/Death Korps of Krieg taking their place as being too much of a direct "Soviet/Nazi spinoff, not to mention Tallarn...

Steel Legion/Vostroyans are a different story though. But do you think Catachans are really that much inferior to those other IG regiments in terms of popularity?

You sure `bout that? No need to stock up on Catachan Heavy Weapons while they`re available at my local retailer?
Yes, I'm absolutely sure that's how the store works. Now, as far as Catachan Heavy Weapons Squads being available at your local retailer, if you feel the need to stock up, do it; they are Web Store Exclusives in the U.S. and still available on the U.S. web store right now.

Death Korp of Kreig is a FW thing, they aren't very likely to become a main GW product. Some FW stuff has been converted over, but not much of it.

No one who does not directly work for GW can actually tell you any real numbers on sales to be able to say which type of IG is selling better or not (even FLGS can only tell you how different regiment types sell in their store), but you can somewhat tell which items don't sell as much in stores by those things that have been made Webstore exclusives (realize this doesn't actually tell you whether they are popular or not, simply that they don't really sell enough to keep producing store stock quantity levels).

To my knowledge the Catachan HWS box is fine, it's the troop box that is showing serious signs of age. We're still very much hopeful of new models for the next update to the Guard codex. Catachans are long overdue some love at the very least. If GW is really nice they might even add some other regiment types...

I'm currently looking at filling a few holes in my guard with plastic Catachan's. To be honest I'm likely to be using the command sprue much more than the normal sprue as it's not as bad looking. Though to get enough bodies and legs I'll have to raid the grunt sprues for those.

I need to clarify what I said though ... I've seen some amazing paint jobs on the grunts sprue which has "made" them look good. But the amount of effort needed to make them look good in comparison to say the better sculpts on the command squad I find unappealing. Though when push comes to shove and i need a few fillers to make up a squad numbers I'll have to use them.

Yeah, the troops sprues are in bad shape and have so much space for more parts to be included. I think the sprues are about 15 yrs old or so. They are in desperate need of a resculpt.

The worse part is the command sprue, which is wonderful scuplted, is of a smaller scale than the troops sprue. They really don't crossover that great. The troops arms are too big for the command sprue and the command sprue heads are too small for the troop sprues.

Honestly, I would not be surprised to see them pulled. Maybe if the IG AM get a re-issue for 7th in a year or so, we may see new sculpts more in line with the command sprue. Pure speculation on my end.

With the original post, I grabbed all that I needed before I began my current foray. You may want to call around to other game stores and see what you can find or even venture onto Ebay

V

Archived