Vostroyan Firstborn Regiment 185th Reporting In!

Hello Everyone.

I've been a lurker on Bolter and Chainsword since I first discovered 40K in 2010. It's only recently I've decided that my painting has been good enough to show in public (Let's just say the Hall of Honor has scared me in that regard).

Thus, I thought I might post a few images of my growing Vostroyan Firstborn army. I've dubbed them the 185th 'Frostreavers'. I'll probably write more about them later on, along with an actual army list, but for now just the models.

Squad Ak - Lead by Sergeant Fedir Evanko

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Squad%20Ak_zpsmt8fjwyy.jpg

Squad Ba - Lead by Sergeant Valer Starnechuk

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Squad%20Ba_zpsdb87kpq3.jpg

Hellhound 'Zlo'

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Hellhound%20Zlo_zps2ivcxvey.jpg

Ah, possibly my favorite Guard figures of all time. You're off to a good start! The freehand numbers on your Hellhound could use a little more practice, and though I prefer the khaki-grey vehicle paint scheme by the studio, it's a nice job job on the camo.

I'm liking the look of your guard. Nothing to worry about the paint job. There's plenty of people who'd like to be able to paint that well. The trick to improving is posting close ups of the miniatures and asking for advice on how to improve. I've been painting for 2 decades and still constantly ask for second opinions. ;)

I'll look forward to seeing those close ups.

Welcome to the B&C, what an entrance to make! We need more Vostroyans ;) Especially ones well painted like this, I like the vehicle scheme in particular. Keep us updated with your progress and don't worry about the quality - what matters is you're always improving :tu:

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I have to admit, I was a bit unsure how my painting might been taken, as I've been painting for years in a vacuum, with only online pictures and Games-workshop quality minitures to judge myself on.

Anyways to more specific points:

@ Kage - This was actually my first attempt at freehand so I hope to improve. Do you have any suggestions on how to get better at freehand? I'd love to learn.

@SW1 - I will try to do just that. I unfortunately only have a phone camera to work with, so I will see what I can do.

@WarriorFish - I'll continue to add pictures as I go. I have a couple more vehicles and a squad to take pictures of and add, which I'll do in the next couple days.

Once again, thank you for the kind responses thus far!

Hail Captain welcome to the BnC

Love Vostroyans (see pic) don't worry so much about your painting, they look good :) maybe add some wash on the gold.

Don't forget the BnC is a great place to talk with like minded folk who love to see people try their best. If you still have some unpainted we would welcome the 185th in the ETL this year.

Feel free to post up your background and battle reports (with pics of course) if you like doing that sort of thing.

From Lord Lee

that hellhound is ace! and the freehand is a lot better than what i did when i started painting (and even now i'm not good!)

the heavy bolter/meltagun conversion has me a bit baffled though. what is it supposed to be?

The Vostroyans look ace, I've always been tempted by those models, even with a whole Death Korps at my beck and call!

In particular, I quite like your, "inventive" base for the heavy bolter. 

In regards to freehand, I'm no master at it myself, but I found a useful trick is to write in pencil on the model where you intend on doing numbers/letters. A reference of that sort helps a great deal, as does using as fine a point a brush as possible. The closer to the tool behaves to a writing instrument, the easier it will be for you (I have used black sharpies from time to time where the model permits such things...).

Ah, right. The heavy bolter conversion. I was wondering when someone would ask.

I don't have an army list set in stone as of yet, but I do know that I want to use veterans, if only the keep the costs down. Vostroyans are fairly expensive after all. That said, special weapons models are a bit difficult to find outside of ebay, so I decided to get a bit creative to create three counts-as meltas. Thus the converted heavy bolter/melta.

I know it would probably have been easier to troll ebay, but I had the models on hand. Waste not want not, especially with metal minitures to my mind.

Welcome to the guard, dont see too many  Vostroyans  welcome addition too the barracks here. You've got some well painted models there with more practise you'll get better and better. Good use of the Mars pattern camo on the hellhound you don't see that too much either. Look forward to seeing more. ETL vow???

So like a said, I have a couple more images of my growing regiment. This should be it for it for a bit, as life is getting a bit busy just when I though I'd have some time to paint. Curses!

Also, what is ETL? I've heard of it, but I don't know the rules or anything.

Anyways, onwards to images!

Squad Nizh

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Squad%20Nizh_zpsrhm0ttvr.jpg

Squad Nizh's Chimera

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Squad%20Nizh%20Transport_zps87vkbtxq.jpg

Basilisk 'Snih'

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Basilisk%20Piece%20Snih_zps5ubvdqet.jpg

Commissar Andrew Darrow

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Commissar%20Gavorn_zpscjqqqgo6.jpg

ETL is a inter sub forum painting challenge that helps everyone get painting done, its quite the big thing you can find out sub forum section pinned at the top of our sub forum :) have a look at all the info for the last 2, its very inspiring to see all the great models painted and the sheer point total of models done on the BnC.

Lord Lee.

How many more models do you have to do?

Not as many as I'd like, but I think I have enough for an ETL vow or two. I have a partial command squad, a Lord Commissar and a chimera. I believe I'll have a couple more squads coming in by the end of the month, but I'll see.

Looking good Baranov. I love the Vostroyans, they look great. My particular favorites in the old metal line are the Kasrkin. I have 7 right now, and I want more of them I'd like my current squad to number 10, and I'd like another 10 man squad. 

I'd also really like to have some of the Steel Legion minis. 

Liber Challenge: Imperial Guard Regiment

Seems a good enough time to actually get this posted...

The Vostroyan Firstborn 185th Regiment "The Loyal Few"

Introduction

Hidden Content
From the world of Vostroya comes the 185th, a regiment of renown across the galaxy, but also one with a dark reputation, of dark events and darker treachery, drawn to them like heretics to a flame.

It is this reputation that has irrevocably marked the 185th with the sardonic moniker, “The Loyal Few”, for the regiment has an unnatural propensity to both find and fight chaos wherever they find themselves, be it from within our without. Bitter are the names of their most famous campaigns, and bitter still are the soldiers who serve under the banner of the 185th.
Yet, despite this, the regiment holds the belief that not one of the soldiers with the regiment has fallen to chaos, all choosing death before corruption. This is an overview of this loyal but cursed regiment.

Regimental History

Hidden Content
First Founding (274. M33)

The original founding of the 185th was an unusual one to say the least, if only because of the choice to draw specifically from a region on Vostroya known as Ukrosa. The region was sparsely populated for an imperial industrial world with only two notable hive metropolises, the twin cities of Runesk and Orlinsk. Yet, it is known for breeding men stubborn, proud and, most troublingly, quarrelsome. This streak, born of a tumultuous unification with the whole of Vostroya in millennia past has only been tolerated due to the skill and ingenuity displayed by the population, though the question of nuclear destruction is ever an unspoken threat above the regions should full rebellion occur.

Thus, to wholly create a regiment from this region seemed quite odd, let alone the two that would actually come of this experiment. Despite such misgivings, two regiments were founded, the 185thand its sister armored regiment the 72nd, in the imperial year 274.M33. Colonels Valerian Kirov and Symon Relcornivich lead these brave regiments, the first Ukrosians to exit the atmosphere in millennia.

First Steps into the Stars (274.M33 – 990. M34)

From the very beginning, it was clear that something was odd about the regiment, though few could pinpoint what exactly it was. Yet, it seemed as though the 185th had an unexpected talent for sniffing out corruption wherever they served, be in active service or shore leave. Some might view this as a boon, but in truth corruption seemed to dog every step the regiment took. Though it was rare for the 185th themselves to be found wanting, many of those who they served beside or under would invariably turn to chaos or other such corruption.

This was first revealed in the consecutive deployments of The Siege of Zanzil, the Darkening of New Vino and the Heavenfall Crusade, all of which ended with the whole of all three campaigns engulfed in anarchy and chaos-tainted madness, with few regiments escaping to tell the tale. Tellingly for some, the 185th always were founded among such survivors. This served to create the reputation of being beacons for chaos that would forever color the name of the 185th and, to a lesser degree, their allies in the 72nd.

Thus, in the two millennia after the founding of the 185th and its sister, the 72nd armored company, the regiment served as well as such a cursed regiment could; with tainted distinction, but scant honours and evident distrust. To compound this, the 185th often found themselves dispatched to put down rebellious worlds and reclamation campaigns, with the inevitability of chaos corruption on such worlds only adding to their cursed reputation.

Fall of the 185th: The Reclamation of Vitae Secundus (991 M34)

Yet it was not corruption or rebellions that destroyed the original 185th, but rather a seemingly simple search and reclaim campaign, headed by an Adeptus Mechanicus Explorator Fleet. Spurred on by the barest reference of an STC machine buried deep an isolated world known as Vitae Secundus, now since claimed by the orks.

The mission seemed simple enough at first, thus only a limited number regiments were called to serve, as would be expected for a short term search and reclaim mission. Yet, just as the expeditionary force arrived above the isolated world, the Exporator mission caught to interest of an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor named Xartin Zoltarus. Zoltarus was a young and zealous man who dreamed of an imperium brought back to its full glory through reclaiming all their lost worlds from the xenos of the galaxy. He viewed this expedition as a prime opportunity to inch closer to such a goal.

With the complication that came from the inclusion of the inquisitor, the mission on Vitae Secundus became a full on invasion, though it did not have the numbers needed for such an undertaking, especially against such implacable enemies as the orks.

As expected, the mission would end in failure, as the Zoltarus split the already small gathered army, taking to the majority in order to begin the reclamation effort. He perhaps hoped to call for more aid once they had established a beach-head on the world, a risky proposition even if the exploratory host had been adequately sized.

United, the Imperial Guard host might have succeeded in finding the STC and survive to tell the tale. Yet, just as the Mechanicus-lead force discovered the shrine factory that held the STC, reports came in that Zoltarus’ had been butchered to a man after landing in the midst of some sort of orkish gathering.

The Mechanicus took the few remaining troops, of which the 185th was reluctantly a part of, to search for the STC archotech in the ruins of a factory hive on the outskirts of the capital. As Zoltarus’ ill thought out landing met its bloody conclusion, the STC was found, damaged, but intact. Yet, this was cold comfort for the three regiments who knew they had only hours left once news of the massacre spread.

As Colonel Ivan Kirov of the 185th came to the leader of the Mechanicus to discuss possible extraction options, he was given a cryptic message in holy binary by the leading tech priest: "01100111 01101100 00100000 01101000 01100110". The party of tech priests and their prized STC were engulfed in golden light and vanished without a trace. No doubt they returned back to their ship with prize in sacred metal hand.

It is unknown how long the 20 regiments left behind on Vitae Secundus survived, but they surely died to a man. Of course, the STC was successfully retrieved and was found to be in remarkable condition given the circumstances. Yet, strangely, the STC and the tech priests that had found such a valuable prize were not seen nor heard from again.

The Dark Period (010.M34 – 924 M35)

News of the destruction of the 185th found its way to Vostroya over the next ten years, after which it was viewed that perhaps the grand experiment of a wholy Ukrosian regiment had failed, forgetting, as often was the case, the 72nd armored regiment. Whatever the case, the admistrative body of both Runesk and Orlinsk declined the possibility of refounding the 185th for the next nine hundred years, citing that their firstborns would be of better use in other regiments or, as the rumours went at the time, remaining in the Ukrosian region. While such rebellious thoughts were never substantiated, the 185th sister regiment the 72nd received markedly fewer reinforcements during this period.

Refounding (945.M35)

The Second Founding of the 185th came in the dying years of M35 through the iniative of Anton Kirov, the descendent of the same Colonel Valerian Kirov who lead the first interation of the 185th. A driven man and a brilliant officer cadet, Anton Kirov had been weaned on stories of the 185th, the most famous regiment from Ukrosia, often forgetting it’s cursed status. Thus, when it time came to be drawn into service, Kirov pushed for the refounding of the 185th, citing the glory of the past regiment and the possibility of catapulting Ukrosia back into prominence on Vostroya.

While his thinking was suspect, for Vostroya had other, more pressing worries than the seditious backwater region of Ukrosia, Kirov’s wish was granted in no small part to the political machinations of his noble family and the no-to-be-understated wealth that such a noble family held underneath them.

Thus, the 185th was refounded as similarly in scope and make-up as it had been during its first founding, though with few differences. The tales and reputation of the 18th, now over nine hundred years old, were still remembered and recorded by both the Inquisition and the Departmento Munitorum. An order for an ordinate number of commissars were placed upon the regiment, the condition though which it might serve. Kirov agreed to these terms, overcome by his life-long dream coming to fruition to think more farsightedly.

Beyond the Warp and Far Away… (946.M35 – Present)

In many ways, the reformed 185th’s serve career has been a mirror of it’s predecessors, despite all efforts to change this. Chaos and corruption still seems to dog the regiment, even with the added oversight. This phenomenon initially caused heightened monitoring by the commissariat officers within the regiment, with executions being field almost daily in same years. Yet, as the years dragged on, it soon became clear that whatever curse that the 185th served under had little to do with the men within the regiment. The executions started to wan as this realization came about, perhaps due to newfound remorse, or perhaps because of the sudden spike in commissar fatalities on the battlefield.

Thus, the 185th served must like its predecessor; with distinction, but scant honours and great distrust. Yet, as the centuries turned into millennia, the 185th remains a stalwart and implacable enemy to the foes of the Imperium, both intentionally and by their own misfortune.

Notable Battles and Campaigns

Hidden Content
First Founding

Siege of Zartil II (457.M33)

- The first deployment of the original 185th, the Seige of Zartil II should have been a relatively routine capture and destroy campaign, but soon was ingulfed in infighting and out-and-out bloodshed between the assembled imperial guard regiments. This came to a head with the 43rd Fontierian Artillery bombarded the camp of two regiments of the Vertazi light infantry. The Vertazi were vaporized in a matter of minutes and the Fontierians were outted as traitors, along with two other regiments from Fontier. The response was swift but brutal on other sides, with only the 185th and three other regiments escaping with their lives, the fortress world of Zartil II still untaken.

Heavenfall Crusade (980.M34)

- The Heavenfall sector was one of the many still unpacified worlds that escaped the reach of the Great Crusade, making it a prime target for the Imperium’s conquest when it was found in late M34. Housing not only two bountiful agri-worlds and a proto-forge world, the resources along created a prize not often seen. Thus, after negotiations failed, the Hammer of the Emperor was sent in to pacify the sector.

- The Crusade fought well, but was halted on the agri-world Uriel Quentus, when it was discovered that the population had been corrupted to the chaos god Slaanesh. Empowered by their dark master, the denizens of the world pushed back to the Imperial Forces for nearly twenty standard years, before a great chaos fleet emerged from the warp to defend the sector.

- The Imperial forces were routed then and their plans for the sector dashed. The Conquest of Heavenfall would have to be put off for another hundred years before the Imperium would return redoubled and with Astartes at their backs.

Recovery of Virtae Secundus (991.M34)

(Detailed above under ‘Fall of the 185th’)

Second Founding

Heavenfall Massacres (954.M37)

- [information Redacted Under Inquisitorial Mandate]

The Cleansing of Fornax X (802 M41)

- During a routine regiment rest period upon the world of Fornax X, members of Tretyy Company stumbled upon a genestealer nest operating within a brothel in the capital city of Coitoria. The genestealers secret exposed, the whole planet urupted into open rebellion, fuelled by the planted tyranid agents. Through quick thinking and an overabundance of municions, the 185th were able to level the nest before evacuating the world. The cleansing of Fornax X would be an ongoing operation for nearly twenty years, though it has been speculated that this would have continued far longer without the timely destruction of the main next.

Lumi IV (870.M41)

(Detailed Below under ‘Shostyy Company’)

Iron Star Campaign (994.M41)

- The most recent deployment undertaken by the 185th, the Iron Star Campaign took place within the Friggus Ferrum Sector against a heretical tech priest sect that appeared to worship a lost ship core buried deep within the desolate worlds of the sector. As fighting grew heated across all the sector, the planets themselves seemed to quake and move as they were revealed to be great world-ships of some dead xenos race. The campaign is still on going as overall campaign command plans there next move with this new information.

Historical Members

Hidden Content
Original Founding

Colonel Valerian Kirov

The first Colonel of the 185th, Valerian Kirov served for over two decades before falling in battle against cultists during the Siege of Zartil II. A truly unimaginative man, Kirov was notable for using tactics that had been outdated for nearly a millennia, leading the deaths of most of the 185th in the opening years of their service amongst the stars. Only the long suffering service of his major and captains saved the 185th from destruction. It was rumored soon after his death that his Second-in-Command was the true instigator of his fall, a claim that was never vigorously pursued.

Colonel Fedir Voloshin

Said to have been the most successful Colonel the 185th ever had as well as perhaps the longest serve, at over a hundred years in command. Voloshin went a long way towards dispelling the image of the regiment as a magnet for chaos and its adherents through many successful campaigns without the hint of corruption in sight. This was cruelly changed when Voloshin was murdered in his sleep by a chaos agent, shortly before the incident known as the Night of Fallen Heroes fell upon over fifty regiments of imperial guard, destroying all but the 185th and two other regiments.

Colonel Ivan Kirov

The final Colonel to lead the original 185th, Colonel Kirov had only served for two years previous to the assault upon Vitae Secundus, cutting his coreer short. He was said to have been a quiet man, who left much of the leading to his subordinates.

Captain Oleg Baranov

The first commoner to reach the rank of Captain within the regiment, who took charge of Chetvertyy Company after the whole of upper command for the regiment were killed in an artillery barrage. For his service, Baranov retained his rank until his death fifteen years later. The Baranov family have since become prominent nobility through his noble deeds, a fact not forgotten by any within Ukrosa.

Second Founding

Colonel Anton Kirov

The first Colonel of the refounded 185th, Anton Kirov was weaned on the stories of the original 185th, thus, when he was called to serve as every Vostroyan first born is, he used his families connections to attempt recreate the 185th for the ashes that it had wallowed in for centuries. Though his efforts were ultimately successful, he did not live long to savor this success. He fell during the maiden campaign of the regiment to orkish axes.

Colonel Hadeon Ralkachuk

The Colonel that saved the 185th from total destruction upon the world of Fornax IV. Through the quick use of Vulture cover fire, Colonel Ralkachuk was able to gather his scattered regiment from across the hive world and plan a counter assault in under 24 hours. His career prior and after this were considerably less noteworthy.

Captain Gregor Fedirovich

Captain Gregor Fedirovich was credited as the shortest serving captain within the 185th at only two days, after which he shot for insubordination by his accompanying commissar, on grounds that ‘Perhaps we should simply talk to them?’ is not a valid suggestion during planning sessions. Coincidently, Commissar Daenin Fidelus, his executioner, went on to take successfully take his place. He served as brevet captain for almost ten years.

Trooper Volomir Derkinsky

Credited with the furthest shot made with a long-las across the Vostroyan Firstborn at over three kilometres, killing the Chaos Warlord known as Ralgath the Firetorn.

Regimental Quirks

Hidden Content
Commissars

As would be inevitable for a regiment prone to surviving chaos corruption as well and as unexpectedly as the Loyal Few, the 185th is home to more commissars that should be usual. Such was the suspicion of regiment during its second founding, the 185th was forced to accept a commissar as second-in-command as well, in order to better monitor the regiment for signs of corruption. Thus, the rank of Commissar-Major has become a fixture of the 185th, for better or for worse.

White Uniforms

As one of the few regiments founded primarily from the Ukrosa region of Vostroya, the 185th takes the traditions and history of this region quite seriously. One of the most prominent legends from this region is the siege of Karkov during the Unifikatsiya Viyna, the Unification Wars that occurred during the early centuries of Vostroya before even the Age of Strife. So the legend goes, the proud residents of Karkov Hive, noted for their sparkling white uniforms, spent thirty years fighting off the forces of Unification before submitting.

Karkov Hive was razed for its defiance, but it is said that the capital of the region Runesk is said to have been built upon the rubble of this rebellious city. Though the legend is older than the Imperium itself, many  within Ukrosa feel close to it, with most of the regiment taking up white uniforms instead of the usual red of Vostroya. Such a colour makes them even greater targets on the battlefield, but they still wear the white proudly.

Scout Squads

Long experience with given risky, often isolated missions due to their dark reputation, has developed a sense of self-sufficiency in the 185th. As such, each company has a platoon dedicated to recognizance. As such, each company has a platoon dedicated to recognizance rather than a single company.
Furthermore, these squads are differentiated by both atypical uniform colours and squad names. The former is coloured based on the deployment location, whereas the squad name is chosen based on the squad's preferences, rather than by regimental designation.

Current Regimental Structure

Hidden Content
Company Command

Colonel Aleksandr Kirov

- The descendant of the very first regiment commander of the 185th, Aleksandr Kirov is but the latest of strong leaders that have weathered the regiment through their many involvements, including the Lumi IV insertion and, most recently, the Iron Wastes campaign.
- Colonel Kirov himself is a strong and boisterous personality, who values his men as much as he does the glory that his duties inevitably bring to the home world. His bright red mustache is always a welcome sight for his troops, both in the midst of the battle and at rahzvod tables that appear afterward.

Major Dmitry Dorbenko

- The ice to Colonel Kirov’s fire, Major Dorbenko is a grim and efficient man who is known for a vicious streak that would make a dark eldar blanch. The disciplinarian of the regiment, it is whispered across fires that the Major would make a better Commissar that even Commissar Stahl. Still, this is never said within earshot of the Major, for he is as unrelenting to the men under his command as he is to their foe.

Commissar-Major Gregor Stahl

- While the rank of ‘Commissar-Major’ might appear to a honorary rank in many other regiments, in the 185th it is taken quite seriously. Commissar-Major Stahl is of an uninterrupted line of men who have held this post and, thus far, has served as well as he can. While still mindful of his duties, Commissar-Major Stahl is a relatively level-headed and careful man, who ends up balancing out Major Dorbenko as the more relaxed of the two. The irony of this is well known across the regiment.

Company Structure

Pershyy (1st) Company 'Colonel's Claws'

- The first of two veteran squads within the 185th, Pershyy Company is home to the principle command of the regiment as well as the most experienced special arms platoon. In theory Captain Alexei Sladenko is in charge, but in practice administrative duties fall to Major Dorbenko.

Druhyy (2nd) Company 'Data-Slate Slayers'

- Druhyy Company serves as the administrative, aquisitional and ogistical backbone of the regiment, without which the 185th would grind to a halt. Yet, like most logistical companies, the Druchyy do not get anywhere near the respect they deserve, as reflected by the company monikor. Lead by Captain Yuri Zentorov.

Tretyy (3rd) Company 'Tin Soldiers'

- he first of three regular companies within the 185th, the Tretyy is notable for being both the largest and most tactically fluid of the companies. As such, shipped in reinforcements inevitably join Tretyy before any other company. This has bred a bit of resentment from the more chronically under-strength companies such as Chetvertyy and Shostyy. Captain Borys Tortaruk, a mercurial but tactically sound man, leads Tretyy.

Chetvertyy (4th) Company 'Fire Starters'

- The Second of the three regular companies, Chetvertyy is the heavy infantry specialists of the 185th. Notable for preferring flame weapons and hellhounds over more traditional tactics, Chetvertyy is often found beside Shostyy in the thickest of the fighting, flamers in hand. Dmitri Vohonivich leads this merry band of fire starters, as he will happily tell you, cigar in hand.

Pyattyy (5th) Company 'Deathmarchers'

- Grim and introverted, Pyatty Company is the vanguard of the 185th, often arriving at the sight of the battle far before the main host, sniper rifles in hand and mines placed. While the 185th does not have a formal reconnaissance company, if they did, it would be Pyattyy. Captain Volomir Nizhinsky heads up Pyattyy.

Shostyy (6th) Veteran Company ‘Frostreavers’

Notes on Name

- The company moniker comes from the recent past, in which Shostyy Company was seconded by the Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor Torm Djalnarsson to put down a believed cult at the heart of the Arctic Hive world of Lumi VI.

- Through the tactical use of the month’s long blizzards that engulf the world, Shostyy Company was able to put down the cult before they became a threat to the greater subsector.

- The Inquisitor dubbed the company as such, invoking low gothic name of the raiders of the inquisitor's home world of Talvaheim.
- Since then, the company's officers have taken to the colour white instead of the traditional Mars red to demonstrate the pride they hold for such an honour. The veterans themselves occasionally have re-inlaided their traditional knives with white wood or ivory in a similar display.
- he previous moniker of the Company was the 'Poor Men', an allusion to the rich tastes of the Company's previous Captain Josef Orzhov.

Notable achievements and characteristics

- Shostyy Company is one of three veteran companies within the 185th of them, it is perhaps the most decorated. The ‘Frostreavers’ have served with distinction across many campaigns ever since the second founding of the regiment, with notable actions including the swift resolution of the Fargate Skirmishs through their brazen assault on the tau leader and the mined bridge that lead to the fall of Hive Tarkar in the Bor Star Campaign.
- Yet, for such bold action and hasty judgements, Shostyy Company is further noted for being one of the few companies to interact outside their own regiment. Due to this the past and present leaders of Shostyy have often served as ambassadors to other regiments when regimental command is otherwise occupied.

Company Command
- Captain Nikolai Baranov
- Commissar Andrew Darrow
- Corporal Andriy Capernik

- Medical Officer Sergei Dordansky
- Fleet Representative Yosef Salko
- Trooper Orik Dornko
- Trooper Nalishy Gorgansky
- Corporal Alexei Umarkavich

Squads

Ak Squad
- Lieutenant Fedir Evenko

Ba Squad
- Sergeant Valeri Starkovich

Ce Squad
- Sergeant Havril Lorzinsky

Dek Squad
- Lieutenant Borys Dzikachuk

En Squad
- Sergeant Mikhail Adamovich

Fy squad
- Sergeant Viktor Orlansky

Ger Squad
- Lieutenant Ivan Korpenko
Hal Squad
- Sergeant Olek Moran

Ih Squad (KIA)
- Sergeant Hadeon Savansko

Jas Squad (MIA)
- Lieutenant Pavlo Valdorn

Kyr Squad
- Sergeant Taras Bondarenko

Ler Squad (KIA)
- Sergeant Oleg Gorbenchuk

Siry Scout Squad
- Sergeant Yuri Sevnchuk

Nizh Scout Squad
- Lieutenant Aleksandr Voloshin

Shys Scout Squad (MIA)
- Sergeant Ivan Palansky

Really like the choice of going with a regiment from a traditional world rather then a DIY world. The slavic sounding names and terms really help the world building aspect of the regiment. my only complaint is the number of companies seem rather small for a regiment, though Imperial forces organization has always seemes odd to me

Really like the choice of going with a regiment from a traditional world rather then a DIY world. The slavic sounding names and terms really help the world building aspect of the regiment. my only complaint is the number of companies seem rather small for a regiment, though Imperial forces organization has always seemes odd to me

Thank you for your kind words :) I did what I could to better create a sense of believeability for my regiment, which I thought turned out pretty good, all things considered.

As for the size of the regiment, I was ball-parking about 1,500 troops for the regiment based on a off-handed comment in a Ciaphas Cain novel. Not exactly the most reliable source, but it is a bit rare to find actual numbers for imperial guard regiments. Plus, if the 185th is a wee bit small, it only serves to fit the theme I think ;)

Commissar-Major Gregor Stahl

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmozsm8zb.jpg

Captain Nikolai Baranov

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxo4tuspy.jpg

Fleet Officer Yosef Salko

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspwyzx83n.jpg

Medical Officer Sergei Dordansky

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf7ypxv4h.jpg

Corporal Andrey Capernik

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsznnwlz1e.jpg

Corporal Alexei Umarkavich

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsafzpv3er.jpg

Riflemen Orliko Dornko and Nalishy Gorgansky

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjku1vx0u.jpg

Command Chimera

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Doorward/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsz9bvv0aq.jpg

Right, so this long and image filled post is from the first completed ETL vow. Through the painting, I came to the conclusion that I think my Vostroyans look better in white and, unsurprisingly, proceeded to repaint them to fill this view. Thus, I am at am impasse: do I repost the repainted miniatures or level it as is. Decisions, decisions...

Archived