Liber Challenge III - Imperial Guard/Traitor Guard/Cults

Aqui

Back on topic, my fluff can be viewed here. I dare not say it's done until the Liber gives it the go ahead.

Whilst there are minimum requirements to complete the challenge, ultimately, your fluff is finished when you're satisfied with it smile.png

You've fulfilled the requirements (I haven't read it yet - I'm off to sleep soon, but I'll read it when I get back up! laugh.png ), so as long as you're satisfied with it, then it is complete happy.png

Well, uh, without trying to sound like a git - which bits did you add? There's no specific 'History' section, so I can't really tell. unsure.png

Whilst there are minimum requirements to complete the challenge, ultimately, your fluff is finished when you're satisfied with it smile.png

...if i may... it may depend on what your purpose for writing the article is.

my marines are my main narrative vehicle and i thought i'd take the opportunity to explore (lightly) their interaction with the guards who would obviously be a ubiquitous element within their operational sphere. and who i knew very little about.

i didn't really care too much about the ig force itself, which would contrast highly (possibly) with someone who actually played ig and wanted to fluff them out.

so for me it was enough (to my own ends) to consider the ig in light of how they fit into my marine's sector... perhaps a cursory glimps at how my marines feel about them... or at least that's how i see the content.

...if i may... it may depend on what your purpose for writing the article is.

my marines are my main narrative vehicle and i thought i'd take the opportunity to explore (lightly) their interaction with the guards 

i didn't really care too much about the ig force itself, which would contrast highly (possibly) with someone who actually played ig and wanted to fluff them out.

so for me it was enough (to my own ends) to consider the ig in light of how they fit into my marine's sector

This is pretty much how I looked at it as well. Rather than have any particular interest in guard (not that I dislike like them, just they're not as interesting to me as other things ie. my DIY space marines) i chose to use the guard regiment to help create a larger world that my DIY fit into. It helped to show a small interaction and how that interaction might seem/affect the other party. It was an interesting process and to be honest made me want to learn more about the IG after all.

As such, here's my attempt. Hope it rates

Hidden Content

Name of Regiment:

Iaxis 88th Infantry “The Kingsguard”

Home Planet:

Iaxis, a hive world within the Arc Stars, in the Ultima Segmentum has given rise to over 200 Imperial Guard Regiments. The 88th Infantry is one of the most highly decorated and honoured regiments founded on Iaxis. Iaxis, almost a fortress world in it’s own right, is the regiment’s training ground, recruitment centre and munitions depot and it is here that the 88th Infantry, as well as all Iaxis Regiments, are based.

Name Of Founder:

General Tamed Ven, in celebration of the coronation of King Hergen Fass in 789 M.39, created the Iaxis 88th Infantry. As King Fass himself had wanted to serve in the Iaxis Regiments himself, General Ven could think of no greater way to celebrate the rise of the King than by creating a new regiment in his honour.

Organisation:

The Iaxis 88th Infantry is organised into 7 companies. Each Company is organised in the same manner, predominantly infantry based, made mobile and supported by light armour in the form of sentinels and Valkyrie transport ships.

Each infantryman and vehicle proudly bears company colours on their uniform and competition between companies is often encouraged by the Regiment’s officers. However it is well established within the regiment that certain companies fall into and out of favour, depending very much on internal politics and regimental command.

1st Company – Red “Redguard”

2nd Company – Black “Black Jaws”

Currently regarded as the veteran company of the regiment, the Black Jaws have seen several campaigns to completion and suffered very few casualties. The Company even received honours from the Serah Encarmine Adeptus Astartes chapter, who noted that they fought with honour and valour during the Flax Crusade. This has led veterans of that campaign to discretely refer to themselves as “The Blooded”, something Commissar Ferin is eager to stamp out.

3rd Company – Blue “Blue Birds”

4th Company – Yellow “Yellow Hats”

5th Company – Green “Green Hornets”

6th Company – Gray “Grey Bats”

7th Company – White “White Lions”

The “White Lions” have been the victim of superstition and bad luck within the regiment for over a decade. Twice the entire company has been wiped out and rebuilt from scratch due to casualties, and almost inevitably the 7th Company will be assigned the most dangerous objectives or tasks during campaigns. This bad luck started during the battle of Kasper Hive, when the company was sent to hold a manufactorum district alone against and onslaught of Tyrannids.  The company held out for three days, yet failed to hold out long enough for reinforcements to arrive. The fallen Captain Harlin, was dishonoured posthumously for this failure. Since the Battle of Kasper Hive the “White Lions” has followed this with efforts in several campaigns, yet all have been doomed to failure and the current Captain of the Company, Juon Illin, is adamant the reputation earned will be changed in his time.

The Regiment wears combat armour of light tan and beige, with cream fatigues. The colours are the same for all Iaxis regiments and are a reflection of the arid training grounds in which personnel of the 88th train. The Regimental banner bears the emblem of the Royal House of Iaxis, in honour of King Fass. This is borne on a black background with the Arc Stars emblazoned below the emblem.

Significant Battles Joined:

Battle of Alexia Valley

The 88th Infantry, supported by elements of the 116th Harakoni, 12th Mordian Armoured and Furin 9th, ambushed and utterly destroyed a marauding Ork warband that had devastated the cities of Furin Prime and annihilated all forces sent to oppose it.  Although 3rd and 7th companies were almost entirely wiped out in the battle, it was still considered a major victory for the 88th.

Purge of Hraxis Secundus

The 88th assisted in the purge of the genestealer cult on Hraxis Secundus in conjunction with a strike force of Blood Wardens space marines and sisters of the Adeptus Sororitas. The Purge was a success although two platoons of the “White Lions” were purged following a joint effort with Blood Warden forces. The Blood Wardens noted to the command structure that the platoons had been exposed to dangerous information and as a result had to be purged themselves.

Rundel Campaign

The Rundel campaign was a series of battles against Eldar forces across the Ullanda Sub-Sector. The 88th formed part of the Imperial Forces in the Sub Sector, with other Imperial guard Regiments, Adeptus Mechanicus forces and elements of the Black Templars chapter. After several initial successes in engagements with the Eldar pirates, the Imperial forces found themselves very quickly on the back foot when  the Eldar rallied and massacred the forces at Delgur Base and crippled the Navy flagship, taking away the Imperium’s manoeuvrability within the sub-sector.

This setback reduced the contribution the Astra Militarum could make to the campaign. As the Black Templars and Adeptus Mechanicus were forced to fight engagements further and further from support, the viability of the campaign was reassessed and many of the regiments were pulled out to re-deploy in greater strength.

The Iaxis 88th were one of the few to be left in the sub-sectorand as a result suffered heavy casualties in their engagements with the Eldar corsairs, yet were able to defend Alpha Station on Rundel Tertius, a vital command bastion for Imperial operations.

Notable Characters:

Commissar Delon Ferrin;

Commissar Ferin is one of the longest serving members attached to the 88th Infantry. It was during the battle for Alexia Valley that Ferin first showed his courage to the men of 2nd Company; leaping to the defence of their wounded captain and single-handedly cutting down an ork warboss. Since, Ferin has been welcomed amongth the regiment as few commissars ever are, however he has found himself at odds of late with his former close comrades. The members of the 2nd company, after fighting alongside the Adeptus Astartes have started to show a disproportionate loyalty to the Seraph Encarmine whom they fought beside. Even unofficially nick naming themselves after the Astartes, Ferin sees only pride in his fellows;  that could soon spiral into something that would require a firm hand to deal with it.

Sergeant Evas Far

A sergeant of 7th Company, Evas is proud to serve in the “White Lions” despite the reputation the company has earned of late. A true and loyal veteran, he is able to inspire the fresh recruits who are assigned to 7th Company to serve with valour and honour.

I notice my entry isnt marked as complete, any things I need to add?

No, I haven't had chance to edit the post. It should be done now smile.png

I don't mean to be a nuisance, really, but I've made more fluff as asked, placed it in the first post of my thread, and have been stuck in limbo as to whether or not this challenge is finished for me. Any help what be appreciated.

I don't mean to be a nuisance, really, but I've made more fluff as asked, placed it in the first post of my thread, and have been stuck in limbo as to whether or not this challenge is finished for me. Any help what be appreciated.

Yep smile.png Should be marked as such in moment smile.png

Christ it has been a while since I've frequented these parts. Damn it, I'll give this a go!

I, Ferrus Manus vow in the name of the God-Emperor to create an Imperial Guard Regiment. This I shall vow or be forever damned!

Christ it has been a while since I've frequented these parts. Damn it, I'll give this a go!

I, Ferrus Manus vow in the name of the God-Emperor to create an Imperial Guard Regiment. This I shall vow or be forever damned!

Vow added, Brother. Welcome back! happy.png

img_2729.jpg

I get the feeling I'm deploying this a little too often these days. :lol:

[First half]

Name - 88th Kierdale’s Shrineworld Expedition

Planet of Origin - Kierdale’s Shrineworld

Name of Founder - Lord Hugh Kierdale (nee Burnett)

Homeworld History -

Located in the galactic west, the nearest other Imperial system to Kierdale’s World is the Adeptus Mechanicus-claimed world of Alceforge. Settled long ago during the Great Crusade with a name now long-forgotten, the colony was cut off from the Imperium for many millennia by warp storms following the Horus Heresy and, starved of communication and trade, civilization reverted to a feudal state. This regression was far from smooth: noble houses who had once sworn loyalty to the planetary Imperial governor waged war upon one another. The events surrounding the actual overthrowing of the governor are lost to the mists of time though contradicting rumours state that he became a tyrant, fell to the taint of chaos or died a martyr opposing a rival lord who had fallen to the temptation of the Infernal Powers.

None but the Ecclesiarchy were safe. The members of the priesthood shrewdly chose to side with whoever was in power at the time, and maintained neutrality when there was no dominating lord. These civil wars seemed fated to continue endlessly until one of the priesthood’s friars returned to the head temple professing to have witnessed a vision of the end of days.

This priest was brother Kierdale.

It was Kierdale’s great charisma and oratory skill which managed to first convince his superiors of the veracity of his claims and secondly to unite most of the noble houses.

When the warp storms which had isolated the system suddenly cleared, many of the priesthood’s supporters viewed friar Kierdale as a false prophet and a puppet of the Ecclisiarchy: had they not set up this pawn with his fabricated `prognostications` in order to seize power? A great many houses who had sworn allegiance to the priesthood turned from them, viewing the ending of the storm as deliverance.

Many of those who refused to believe soon changed their minds once again when a Greenskin hulk was spotted entering orbit above the planet. Those who still refused to flock to Kierdale and the priesthood’s banner found themselves butchered by the first Greenskin assaults as a Waaargh of combined Snakebites, Deff Skullz and Blood Axes lead by the Snakebite warboss Gobsnaga Skarzog fell upon them. Friar Kierdale himself refused to remain at the head temple and instead returned to his wandering ways, accompanied by a chosen band of comrades, lending aid where he could. It was during one of the first clashes with the Xenos that Kierdale lost his left arm, hacked off by one of the foul beings and later replaced with a cybernetic prosthetic.

Under friar Kierdale and the priesthood’s leadership the Greenskins were first driven back and finally wiped out, the climactic battle taking place upon the plains where the Ork hulk had crashlanded. Friar Kierdale fell in combat that day and Lord Burnett, leader of the majority of the household troops who took part in the action and slayer of the Ork warboss himself, chose to rename the planet in honour of the prophet. He also proclaimed that all future ruling lords of the house would bear the title Lord Kierdale.

Soon after destroying Waaargh Skarzog contact was reestablished with Alceforge and the greater Imperium. Tech adepts and magos from the Mechanicus world, learning that Kierdale’s World had been long cut off from the Imperium, quickly ventured there in search of STCs and lost technology. They found that the ecclesiarchy had quite wisely hoarded the majority of the planet’s technology and, though much was in disrepair, agreements and pacts were made betwixt the two entities for mutual benefit.

Contact reestablished with the Departmento Munitorum, the armed forces of Kierdale’s World (or Kierdale’s Shrineworld as it later became known) were organized into formal regiments.

House Kierdale, formerly house Burnett (renamed overtly in honour of the planet’s savior) was granted hereditary governorship of the planet with the blessings of the ecclisiarchy and the Mechanicus. Indeed, with the sad assassination of bishop Symon (at enemy hands as far as investigations could determine) at the end of the war with Waaargh Skarzog, house Kierdale saw to it that one of their scions was appointed the new head of the priesthood onplanet.

Regimental History -

The 88th Expedition was formed in M34 from remnants of several other regiments which had taken heavy casualties fighting `the old foe` (Greenskins), and was tasked with the continued prosecution of war against the Ork as a combined arms force. All of the dozens of noble households of Kierdale’s World contribute men (both direct members of the houses and their serfs) and materiel to the planet’s garrison and the Imperial Guard regiments drawn from it.

Cobbled together from the survivors of other regiments, the 88th was a mongrel regiment in the eyes of larger, more formal Astra Militarum regiments though the 88th has always prided itself on its appearance. Always equally ready for a parade or an assault upon an enemy stronghold. Indeed much of the 88th units are clad in the same uniform for both activities.

After Kierdale’s World was reunited with the greater Imperium, Departmento Munitorum officers set about organizing the planet’s armed forces and, in an attempt to unify the planet’s guardsmen, shipped in vast stocks of uniforms and arms from Mordia. The noble houses acquiesced to dress and arm their infantry so, but units other than these stubbornly clung to tradition: rough rider and many veteran units still wear shining plate armour and have helmets decorated with colourful plumes.

Markings

Units of the 88th Expedition (and the great majority of Kierdale’s Worlder regiments) wear uniforms with coloured markings indicating their battlefield roles in a manner akin to Arcadian regiments (c.f. the Arcadian 5th):

Units fulfilling a command role such as company command squads display yellow markings.

Units in a support role have blue markings. Examples include heavy weapon squads and dedicated transports. Of note is the fact that tanks also display this colour, a holdover from the days when such weaponry was mounted on gun carriages which were all but immobile during battle.

Assault units such as cavalry and many veteran units are marked with green.

Infantry squads and other such line/tactical units are indicated by red markings.

Black indicates penitents.

Infantry display these colours on hat bands, trouser stripes and epaulets (in the case of those wearing `soft` armour) or as a vertical stripe over the helmet and the front, back and lower side trim of shoulder pads (in the case of those wearing `hard` armour). Should an officer wear an aiguillette, the primary colour will be that of his unit type, with yellow or gold tips indicating his command position. Dual roles are indicated by combining two colours in these locations.

gallery_63428_8145_35699.jpg

This medic (white crescent trim) is assigned to a company command squad (yellow epaulets and hat band). Were he assigned to a platoon command squad he would have white trim on red epaulets.
gallery_63428_8145_3184.jpg
This veteran is a member of a company command squad, hence his yellow markings.
gallery_63428_8145_6654.jpg
This lieutenant commands a platoon command squad, hence his yellow hat band and the fact that his epaulets are yellow trimmed with red and his aiguillette is yellow tipped with red. Note that while platoons may include support and/or assault elements (heavy and special weapon squads) their colours are not indicated on the markings of the platoon command squad.
gallery_63428_8145_16645.jpg
This sergeant commands an infantry squad, hence his red hat band and the fact that his epaulets are red trimmed with yellow and his aiguillette is red tipped with yellow.
gallery_63428_8145_2965.jpg
This guardsman belongs to an infantry squad, hence his red markings.
gallery_63428_8145_32215.jpg
This sharpshooter belongs to a special weapons squad, hence his blue markings.
gallery_63428_8145_17251.jpg
His squad leader here too has a blue stripe and blue trim. As he is not a sergeant he lacks yellow markings (which would be a single yellow stripe along the top trim of the shoulder pads).
gallery_63428_8145_11278.jpg
This guardsman is a member of a veteran unit assigned to a close-assault role (tank-hunting, specifically) and so has green markings. Note that many veteran units dirty up their unit markings in the field to reduce their visibility.
gallery_63428_8145_26020.jpg
His sergeant: green trim and yellow command additions, weathered.
gallery_63428_8145_5022.jpg
This unit of homo sapiens variatus has a non-regulation standard in black, indicating their penitent status. Their custodian, a junior priest, has black trim upon his armour to indicate their role and his acceptance of leading the flock to their retribution.

Ground vehicles primarily display these colours upon heraldic shields (mounted on the right side of any turret present), and occasionally other locations.
gallery_63428_8145_12606.jpg
This Medusa fulfills a support role and so its shield has a blue background.
gallery_63428_8145_6459.jpg
This is the shield of a Chimera transport assigned to a command squad, thus it displays both blue and yellow, with added red to reflect the squad’s role in commanding line units. The golden wreath indicates the high rank of the officer aboard.

Skull

Of additional note is the skull badge displayed by some individuals (usually on shoulder pads), indicative of an act of heroism on their part. The majority of these emblems are awarded posthumously.

gallery_63428_8145_8008.jpg
gallery_63428_8145_7543.jpg
gallery_63428_8145_41316.jpg

Significant Battles joined -

Ambush at Sidewinder Gorge

One of the earliest engagements after Waaargh Skarzog hit Kierdale’s World, tanks of the 1st Armoured advanced through Sidewinder Gorge intending to fall upon the greenskin rear as the xenos assaulted the house Dunfane city of Whitecrest. The column was ambushed by Blood Axes, rokkits taking out the lead tank and bombs bringing down the highest crags to the rear, trapping the 1st Armoured between steep mountainsides on their left and a drop into the depth of the gorge to their right. More rokkits rained down, forcing many tank crews to abandon their vehicles and flee. It was then that Snakebite boar riders, unimpeded by the rough terrain and wrecked vehicles, swept through the gorge burying hatches, tomahawks and slugs in the backs of the fleeing humans. A great many scalps were taken before the screams of the dying and the victorious cries of the alien brutes were eclipsed by the screeching of metal as a tank was pushed into the ravine and the river below. The sound of tortured metal and resulting thunderous splash were then replaced by a high pitched whine. One of the few tank crews with mettle drove aside all that blocked their way, and opened fire with their gatling cannon. The gorge was soon awash with fire and sparks as thousands of rounds ricocheted off the rock walls and the wrecks of their comrade tanks. The punisher’s heavy bolters soon joined the fusillade, and the tank’s commander opened his hatch to begin raking the high ground with the tank’s heavy stubber. The example set by that one punisher rallied the remaining tanks, chopping up their ambushers and those guardsmen who had fled their mounts, Leman Russ battle tanks and Demolishers blasting apart the ambushed tanks, sending shrapnel scything through Ork, pig and coward alike. This Punisher would later be blessed by friar Kierdale himself and named `Rectitude`.

The Defence of Alceforge.

The nearest forgeworld to Kierdale’s World, Alceforge was raided by Night Lords during M38. As fate would have it, the 88th Expedition was rearming at Alceforge at the time and rapidly resupplied and deployed alongside the Mechanicum’s own Skitaari and Cult Mechanicus forces to counter the traitor Astartes. The 88th, accustomed to a stand-up fight, was forced -after taking heavy casualties- to adapt their strategies versus the guerilla warfare and terror tactics of the Night Lords.

As the war stretched on to a degree neither side wanted, the Arch-Magos of Alceforge agreed to sacrifice one of their larger manufactorums if general Alnwick (CO of the regiment at the time) agreed to provide the bait. It was leaked to the renegade Astartes that defences at the target forge had been redirected to reinforce the Mechanicus headquarters and the Night Lords, wanting to end the conflict but unwilling to escape empty handed, struck. The four platoons assigned to guard the facility fell quickly to the infiltrating marines, who in turn were slain when the manufactorum’s reactor was sent critical by the Arch Magos.

Orders from the Order

Though no official records exist elements of the 88th were, under the orders of the Inquisition, dispatched to the arctic world of Gouri VI to secure the crash site of an Aquila lander of interest to the Holy Orders. The crash site was quickly found and a platoon from A company set about fortifying the site while veterans patrolled the perimeter in their chimera when they were fallen upon by Necron warriors. Lacking air cover to counter the alien’s own the men of the 88th saw their armour quickly destroyed before the skeletal robots themselves closed in for the kill.

Survivors of the incident were interrogated and executed by the inquisition.

Notable Characters -

The Houses

General Dunstanburgh.

med_gallery_63428_8145_68450.jpg

A member of house Kierdale and groomed for military service since birth, Dunstanburgh rose through the (officer) ranks serving in the 121st Lord’s Own Lancers, at the time serving under his uncle and at the age of 43 became the regimental commander. Always impeccably dressed, displaying his medals upon his gleaming Aquila-stamped breastplate even on the battlefield, and his saber rarely sheathed, be it used for dictating orders or (very rarely) engaging the enemy in honourable duels. General Dunstanburgh can be seen above accompanied by his servo-armourer: a gift from the Mechanicus to ensure he always has the right weapon to hand, be it his service pistol, master-crafted bolt pistol or the gilt bolt gun awarded to him by Magos Zeta upon the 88th successful defence of Alceforge.

Major Harlech IV,

gallery_63428_8145_46246.jpg

A middle-aged noble, officer, vassal of house Kierdale, and devout member of the Imperial Cult: the tank crews under his command are the first onto the pews when the ministorum priests give their pre-battle benedictions. Harlech IV himself has been known to lead his crews in prayer to the bronze simulacrum mounted upon Rectitude when a priest is unavailable.

Lean, with a ramrod straight back despite years of combat within the confines of Leman Russes, Harlech IV has a most distinctive appearance with his pickelhaube helmet and exceedingly bushy handlebar moustache and beard. Besides being a veteran tank commander he is also an expert fencer, skilled with the epee and heavier saber. Risking through the ranks initially as a member of the 121st `Lord’s Own` lancers (a roughrider unit, in common departmento munitorum vernacular), Harlech IV is still a skilled rider in his off-duty hours. Indeed it is remembered in the annals of the 1st Armoured that at the Battle of Lathaggna he dismounted, catching one of the planet’s native equestrianesque beasts and scouted before the armoured column through the mists (a department mistake had seen no sentinels assigned to the taskforce), voxing back orders to his tanks.

Sergeant Cavendish

gallery_63428_8145_18253.jpg

In addition to the six regular crew (commander Harlech and the tank’s driver, sponson gunners, gunner and loader) commander Harlech IV is rarely seen unaccompanied by sergeant Cavendish. Harlech’s batman since his days with the Lord’s Own, Cavendish has not given up his bugle despite his superior’s move from horses to main battle tanks. He simply blows harder.

Sergeant Bomar

med_gallery_63428_8145_273564.jpg

Once a squad leader of a veteran unit of the 88th‘s guardsmen (5th Grenadiers) who lost all his men to a Blood Axe ambush in the jungles of Zilbra II, sergeant Bomar went rogue. Eaten up by survivor’s guilt and the thirst for vengeance, he is no longer an official part of the expedition forces. None are even sure how he manages to get from planet to planet, battlefield to battlefield, but nevertheless he appears just when and where his killing skill is needed. Armed with a poisoned blade, a rapid-firing flechette pistol and a demolitions charge, sergeant Bomar has turned the tide of many a battle before vanishing into the shadows once again.

The Mechanicus

Saliatus Iota.

16822046731_abcacfe961_o.jpg

Enginseer and scion of Mars, Iota (“Iota by name and Iota by nature” as he is called due to his strict attention to detail) has almost entirely shed the flesh. Now possessed of five limbs terminating in a variety of implements, as well as countless cables slick with holy oils trailing out from under his tattered crimson robes, Saliatus Iota is tasked by his Mechanicus overseers with the maintenance of the 88th’s machines, a mission he fulfills with the aid of his servitor legion. As Bede is unforgiving with breaches of the rank and file’s faith and fidelity, Iota is known to admonish those who fail to take sufficient care of their arms and armour.

The Priesthood

Cardinal Kierdale II.

Recently risen from within the lower ranks of the priesthood, the junior preacher now named Kierdale came to the attention of his betters via his claims of visions he had experienced. None could fail to make a connection to the original friar Kierdale and, while the ecclisiarchy at first tried to keep word of this new prophet a secret, rumours filtered from the monastery and the populace called for him to be revealed to them, and subsequently named Kierdale. Not of house Kierdale by blood, both the ruling house and the high priests were at first wary of this prophesizing youth and sought to bend him to their will (accepting him into the house via the renaming, and promoting him to a high position under the scrutiny of the senior preachers). The youth proved willful and was dispatched to accompany the 21st Expeditionary Force on what was believed to be an ill-fated mission to support Astartes against the Great Devourer.

Father Kierdale II returned a hero, leading the barely-injured 21st to a gloried return. His superiors within the church, old, stubborn, complacent and having ruled for too long without challenge, were soon outwitted by the rising star who soon became no less than cardinal Kierdale, never seen in later years without his hagiographer and corps of bodyguards.

Fide Defensor `Invulnerable` Bede.

gallery_63428_8145_19109.jpg

While a fire-and-brimstone preacher in the old mold, Bede is not unaccustomed to getting his gauntleted hands dirty with the blood of the unbeliever, the heretic and Xenos. Even over the boom of earthshaker cannons, the harsh roar of Bede’s battle sermons can be heard by the line guardsman, both his heart and his aim steadied.

Like many officers of Kierdale’s World, Bede wields an Aquila hammer. He also stubbornly refuses to relinquish his shotgun, despite the best efforts of regimental suppliers to reequip him with an autogun or other more advanced firearm.

Father William `The Shepherd`

med_gallery_63428_8145_164311.jpg

Something of an idealist and a priest who idolizes the original friar Kierdale, father William is rarely seen apart from the 88th penitent conscript units. The preacher leads his flock of homo sapiens variatus, not looking down upon them as many of the common guardsmen do, but rather encouraging them by telling stories of those mutants who fought alongside friar Kierdale and urging them to seek redemption in service to the Emperor. It is with a heavy heart and a steel will that he detonates the spinal bombs implanted in any of his charges should they turn from His holy service.

The Commissariat

Commissars Smith and Jones.

gallery_63428_8145_7540.jpggallery_63428_8145_19495.jpg

Assigned to the 88th to oversee morale and discipline. Jones, as evidenced by the ornate saber at his side, has done certain favours for the houses of Kierdale’s World, whilst his comrade, Smith, has remained stalwart.

[second half]

Units of Renown -

Throughout its history it has comprised elements of the following units:

41st regiment of foot (most renown being the A(ngels) company) - the rank and file guardsmen of the 88th Expedition. Armed and equipped in a manner akin to those of Mordian regiments, Kierdale’s Worlders consider it a great honour to give up their family’s hereditary laslocks for the lasrifles of the Imperial Guard.

Bearing the unit motto “Spectemur Agendo” and the unofficial motto “Damnatio ad bestias”, the 41st regiment of foot also includes penitent conscript units of homo sapiens variatus in memory of those tainted souls who sought redemption at the side of friar Kierdale in millennia past. To ensure loyalty each conscript has an explosive device surgically implanted into their spines.

5th grenadiers - many of the Expedition’s veteran units are from the 5th, their better arms and armour differentiating them from the guardsmen of the 41st.

121st `Lord’s Own` Lancers - while the expedition’s CO is from the 41st Foot, he never fails to be accompanied by a unit of his household’s traditional lancers, mounted on the finest steeds available. These equestrian warriors specialize in scouting as well as close combat, and are well trained in the use of both anti-armour and anti-personnel weaponry. Often enemy commanders have dismissed these mounted soldiers to their own chagrin.

1st Armoured - a tank regiment which won a great many laurels during the war against Waaargh Skarzog, though bears eternal shame at their inability to protect friar Kierdale in the climactic battle, the Leman Russes of the 1st Armoured are a welcome sight to the guardsmen of the 41st Foot.

9th Psionic Gestalt -

med_gallery_63428_8145_229936.jpg

a unit of battle psykers (Wyrdvane Psykers to use the newer Departmento Munitorum term), the 9th consists of witches formerly native to Kierdale’s World, their talents discovered and the individuals subsequently sent offworld for psychic training and conditioning. Upon their return to their homeworld and the regiment, fitted with restraining collars for their own good, they are put into use in combat. Viewed with great suspicion and superstition by both the common guardsmen and their officers, those who know what is good for them keep their distance from the 9th PG for those who have seen battle psykers fall to the whim of the warp often disappear themselves too after debriefing with commissar Smith or Jones.

The 9th PG consists of a large number of witches with a variety of skills from the ability to fry the brains of enemies via psionic screams, though showing foes their greatest fears and shrouding the regiment’s units in invisibility to conjuring great conflagrations to incinerate enemy forces.

1st Stoutfort Rangers - The touch of Chaos is felt all across Kierdale’s World even after the ending of the warp storms which once cut off the planet. It’s touch is seen in the witches and beastmen born to Worlders of all social strata, but these are not the only abhumans to call the planet (and the regiment) home: when the homo sapiens rotundus homeworlds were consumed by the Tyranids a small number of refugees made it as far as Kierdale’s World. These squads were too few to establish a genetically viable colony and continuation of their race but, at the urging of neighbouring Alceforge’s Arch Magos, the governor of Kierdale’s World overcame his displeasure at allowing more abhumans onto his planet, and a treaty was made: the ancestors and most technically adept of the refugees were relocated to Alceforge and the Mechanicus installations on Kierdale’s World, while the rest would serve in the planet’s regiments. There proved to be so few of the latter that a single regiment, the 1st Stoutfort Rangers, was formed and its units disseminated across several Imperial Guard regiments. These diminutive soldiers proved to be excellent sharpshooters, often customizing their arms themselves, with a particular passion for the hunting of Tyranids...

Though not part of the 88th, tempestus scion squads of the Omnicron Snakes, better known as the Black Adders have fought alongside the Expedition with increasing frequency.

....and that's me done. smile.png

Im currently out of the UK at the moment, so I'll mark it as complete when I get back unless Ly, Conn or Olis does it before I get back :)

Archived