Liber Challenge III - Imperial Guard/Traitor Guard/Cults

Aqui

Thank you very much.

Yes, as commissar WarriorFish says, it's an LED. I had seen the Wraith-to-Ad Mech conversion many times and thought I'd better add something to make mine original.

I might edit in a bit on my rough rider lancers when I get the chance as it seems I forgot to put them in!

Vow added! happy.png

Apologies for not being around lately. I'll have to get my skates on and get my vow done soon - only three days left! blink.png

It can be smile.png However, as the Age of Darkness will get their own challenge, if you wanted to enter that and wanted to enter an Auxilla, it would have to be a different one (if that makes sense) smile.png

Well I wont get it done my Midnight tonight but I should be able to get it done by Midnight Tomorrow...

Our Australian and New Zealand members have until 04:00 on 17th june their time msn-wink.gif This time zone business gets rather confusing sometimes laugh.png

My vow is finally up. Again, it's not my best work, but still laugh.png

After writing about a few of the regiment characters, I'm sorely tempted to model two of them...

Tentatively, I submit the Forten Yellowbacks as a completed regimental IA. Just before the deadline, too. ph34r.png

Regimental History

The Forten Yellowbacks, 134th Regiment

The Forten Yellowbacks, named for the bright yellow chitin found on native insects, are primarily fielded as either an infantry formation or a mechanised one. The 134th itself, at least this iteration of it, has been on active duty for the last decade fighting on frontier worlds in their home and surrounding sectors. Forten troops are well versed and adapted for fighting in scrublands and semi-arid conditions, the 134th being no different seeing prolonged frontline fighting on Idris, Bhugeddon and Al Baghta.

As a unit, the 134th has existed for fifteen years seeing the worst of the brief but incredibly violent Brinome Incursion in their formative months. With such a well known conflict under their belt, they were called to garrison the semi-arid agri world of Idris. Five years the regiment held the natives in check, ensuring that the yearly tithes were met, seeing to it that bandits and vagabonds did not get away with theft and pillaging.

In the sixth and final year on Idris, a full blown uprising occurred in the wake of the planetary governors death, with every group imaginable vying for the right to succeed him. Bloodshed erupted quickly and soon all the 134th could do was safeguard the capital. Rotated from duty by Marshal Underwolt and replaced by six heavy infantry regiments, the 134th moved onward, toward another uprising on Bhugeddon.

Infamously dour and pragmatic, the people of Bhugeddon had taken exception to the local battlefleet press ganging the natives. Three whole hives shut down as the populations rioted and set upon any Naval official they could find. The entire tour on Bhugeddon would last four years, each hive proving hard to pacify. The results, bloody as they were, brought Bhugeddon back into line. The three hives that were responsible for the trouble were sent to a penal legions en masse, millions of men and women sent to die against the xenos threats far from home.

Lastly, Al Baghta, a world of severe heat and little water. This theatre would prove to be the most gruelling for the 134th as they pursued a seek and destroy mission against a wayward band of Orks. Again, a tour that would last just shy of four years, the 134th Yellowbacks first destroyed any permanent holdings the greenskins had created and then chased them across the wastes to the north. The entire campaign virtually broke the 134th, with no more than twenty percent of the original four thousand men still standing. It was in this theatre that the 134th became a mechanised regiment, receiving vehicles from the munitorum in a timely two months after they had landed on Al Baghta.

Many of these vehicles survived, battered but alive, to see the 134th back to civilisation in the south. It is here that the regiment is now billeted, awaiting orders for redeployment elsewhere.

Home planet

A planet orbiting close to it's parent star, Forten Majoris experiences years lasting fifty-six Terran days. Although not yet tidally locked, Forten Majoris orbits so close to it's red dwarf parent that the days have stretched out far longer than a normal Terran day. On Terra, the diurnal cycle lasts roughly twenty-four hours. On Forten, it last for one hundred and ninety hours. As such, native Fortens live in urban conglomerations governed by artifical day and night cycles, venturing out into the scrublands beyond only when necessary.

What with the star shedding red light down upon Forten, the native flora have experienced somewhat of a change in the millennia since they were introduced by the first colonists. Leaves and flowers range from red to ebony, often using yellow as an accent for enticing insects. The local Yellowback Beetles, kept as pets due to their sedentary nature, are perhaps as large as a feline and boast impressive mandibles and horns.

Founding Regiment C/O

Colonel Ephraim Logue, commander of the 134th, has overseen the regiment since it's inception. A veteran officer from the 40th Yellowbacks, Logue has spent enough time commanding men to know how to get the best out of them. Although his efficiency and effectiveness of command is commendable, his attitude towards infractions is notably draconic. A great believer in the old Forten idiom "Dead men can't repent.", Logue will almost always defer capital to corporal punishment, much to the chagrin of the regimental commissars. Indeed, every capital punishment enforced in the 134th has always been at the hand of a commissar, usually summary in nature. Logue knows better than to fight the commisariat on such a matter and will take the loss in his stride rather than dwell on the matter.

A skilled strategist, Logue is often a man seen commanding rather than leading. Very few have been the occasions when he himself has had to pitch in with the combat itself, and it shows. His expanding waistline, not uncommon with middle-aged men, has become a running joke amongst the men of the 134th.

Notable Guardsmen

Sergeant Fandred Ingerly

Not a man to shy from dirty work, Sergeant Ingerly is the go-to choice for regimental command to give interdiction and retrieval missions. Well versed in close combat, Ingerly prefers to close the distance with his intended victims and unload his combat shotgun before making contact. His moral flexibility ensures that he is not averse to 'enhanced interrogation' either. Ingerly, adept in such matters, cannot abide patience or strategic withdrawal, a trait which his peers bet on when it shall kill him.

Captain Arc Randers

Commanding the heavy support platoons, Captain Randers is noted for his punctuality, his pedantry and his drinking. Two of these three qualities make for an excellent mortar officer. The drinking, however, has landed him in trouble with the attending commissars in the 134th on two occasions: Once when he man handled Commissar Trench, and once for brawling. Both times Colonel Logue has stepped in to mediate the floggings, Trench being just a touch too enthusiastic.

Commissar Urbton Trench

Trench, a sadistic and cruel fellow, enjoys overseeing the discipline of the 134th ever since their deployment on Bhugeddon. A capable orator and touched with a skill to cajole even the most reluctant of men into the fight, Trench has learned to cut out Colonel Logue from any punishments he dishes out if possible.

Significant battles

The Northern Wastes of Al Baghta - Crispin's Gorge
The crescendo of the campaign on Al Baghta, Crispin's Gorge is the site where the mechanised 134th ran the Ork menace to ground and exterminated the last of them. For five days did they funnel the greenskins into the gorge, only to cut them down as the exited the other end. When the lead elements were slaughtered, the rest of the Orks attempted to turn and meet their enemies, only to bunch up and jam the centre canyon solid with trukks and wagons. Battle cannons roared, lasfire sheeted like monsoon rain and mortar fire fell like deadly hail as the 134th sought to obliterate the Orks. Barring a break out attempt by a mob of kans and dreads, the greenskins were successfully corralled and wiped out. The break out attempt itself led to a bloody and costly decision to saturate the area with munitions, killing an embattled company of men but also destroying the machines.

The Riot of Sector 858
Two years into the suppression of the riots and uprising on Bhugeddon, Sector 858, once thought pacified and under martial law, once again was the scene of deadly riots. The forces on the ground when the riots began were trapped and overrun - few if any survivors made it out. Armed with autoguns, molotovs and a whole myriad of improvised weaponry, the citizens of Sector 858 burned, looted and killed for two weeks without stop. One previous attempt to curtail the rioting ended in disaster as PDF forces were overmatched in manpower and resolve, and were beaten back comprehensively with volleys of autoguns fire and home made explosives.

The 134th, sent as a second attempt to rectify the disaster, began proceedings with a sustained bombardment from their mortar platoons, levelling entire blocks of heavy resistance before pressing forward. Colonel Logue, though his attitude to punishment was a touch liberal according to Trench and his cronies, did not hesitate to order no quarter given. Many Imperial servants had died already, while the law abiding populace still living in 858 had left as soon as they were able. Everyone else, by logic, was an enemy combatant. Although the street fighting took weeks to resolve and left the regiment sorely battered, they were victorious. Few of the people left in 858 were spared and the quelling of the sector was complete.

The Challenge is NOW CLOSED! If there are members who completed their vow, but has not been updated on the second post, could they let me know as soon as possible!

Well done to everyone who entered!
thumbsup.gif

The Challenge is closed, but it nonetheless provided me with some inspiration to continue with the Challenge's focus.

I have one Tempestus Scion regiment to finish, with the penitence for failing to meet the deadline to be determined (I'll take suggestions), but there are also the Magniat regiments I want to focus on now that I have more info.

Specifically, Magniat's sudden appearance in official lore developed through Forge World has provided me with five things I must now take into account:

1. It's galactic positioning, as the FW book Tempest provided a map, placing it very close or within the famous 40k Ultramar Realm.

2. Tempest has Magniat as one of the Five Hundred Worlds, 30k's Ultramar Realm.

3. We know that it is not one of the eight worlds that make up the 40k Ultramar Realm.

4. Magniat's inscription on Guilliman's model base suggests a possible relevance or importance in the Five Hundred Worlds.

And 5. Tempest also confirms that the Titan Legio Praesagius was instrumental in Magniat's Compliance.

Archived