Carlson's College of Arms and Graffiti

Current Active Project: Freeblade Knights

Unit: Amaranthine, Gerantius, Domeenito Ohashi

Sponsor: Griz

A bit of a roll today with three more Freeblades prepped. Looking at the space I have left on a standard A5 sheet, I may be cutting it close, especially considering Retribution Incarnate has logos that fully cover each shoulder.

Amaranthine

Hidden Content

gallery_80588_10710_45051.jpg

Gerantius

Hidden Content

gallery_80588_10710_461946.jpg

Domeenito Ohashi

Hidden Content

gallery_80588_10710_441116.jpg

Unit: The Crimson Reaper; Dyros Kamata, The Scorched Knight

By my count, the below two leave me with just one more Freeblade (Retribution Incarnate) left for this commission.

The Crimson Reaper

Need to work on the white paper backgrounds on this. Looks to my eye like they need to be darker.

Hidden Content

gallery_80588_10710_153484.jpg

Dyros Kamata, The Scorched Knight

The decals that are intended to be destroyed :happy.: After giving a close look at the source art, it looks like his ion shield bore a variant of the House Hawkshroud crest, so that can be used from the current Imperial Knights decal sheet.

Hidden Content

gallery_80588_10710_26821.jpg

These are gorgeous, Carlson!  Definitely makes the codex Freeblades much easier for us "artistically challenged" to achieve.  :smile.:

As for my request, I'd agree that we should pull back on the transfers covered by FW (though the prices they charge for the sheets are absolutely criminal).  That said, hopefully you're still planning to do the iconography that we can't get through other means!  :wink:

As for my request, I'd agree that we should pull back on the transfers covered by FW (though the prices they charge for the sheets are absolutely criminal).  That said, hopefully you're still planning to do the iconography that we can't get through other means!  :wink:

Yeah, best not to answer criminal prices with criminal deeds - that leads to a criminal price on my head, and I'm not bringing in enough (or any) cash doing these sheets to cover that! Still, I'll continue putting out sheets for stuff GW/FW isn't covering.

Unit: Retribution Incarnate

And this completes the design side of the Freeblades. Now need to divvy them up into sheets- probably need to do two A5 sheets, though making it an A4 sheet would easily allow all to be printed on one standard sheet of decal paper.

Retribution Incarnate

Hidden Content

gallery_80588_10710_146645.jpg

Discovered a small issue today (I'd mis-scaled a good number of the decals for the sheet) that's gonna delay the Freeblades upload until tommorrow. I did, however, manage to print out what I had before leaving work so I could test fit them. Should give a rough idea of the decals in position...

Hidden Content

gallery_80588_10710_121484.jpg

Ya know, it doesn't seem like a proper week if I haven't posted a sheet in the downloads. So, with that in mind, I've added a third category to my queue: Generics. These are gonna be just random things that strike my fancy. Some might be from my mind; others might be 'Ooo...did you see this?' suggestions from folks, things they think's neat but that they're not wanting for themselves. Note that the Generics won't have a 'schedule' to them - I'll work on them during free moments working on other sheets, in whatever order I feel like.

Active Project: House Col'khak/September Knights

Sponsor: Carlson793

Active Project: Legio Tempestus

Sponsors: Hammer of Olympia, WoT

WIPs for not one, but two Public commissions!*
First up, a new style for the House Col'khak sheet. I realized I was focussing too much on their Legio Atarus affiliation, so decided to tap into it without being too blatant (thus the flamberge in the house livery) as well as their 'itching for some payback' post-Istvaan (the symbols for the three betrayed Legiones Astartes and Legio Atarus).
Hidden Content
gallery_80588_10710_116325.jpg
Next, the too-long-moved-to-the-back-burner Legio Tempestus. Just the main icon so far, but I will be giving it some more attention while working on Private commissions (though think I need to go back into the logo and fill in the gaps a bit - tough to be sure when the source logo was small and had ink bleed).
Hidden Content
gallery_80588_10710_49583.jpg
Edited by Carlson793

Well, I've been sitting here at work, 4.25 hours into an issue that shouldn't have occurred if they'd tested it earlier in the week when we didn't need the issue to work correctly. Seems like a good enough reason to get a decal sheet prepped!

What originally drew me to 40K was the Legion of the Damned. Just loved the look of them, and when I read the 'are they X or Y?' lore, the love just grew. Buuuttt, if I wanted to put them on the table, I'd need a non-LotD force to avoid losing with no models on the table first round. I decided on the LotD's possible precursor, the Fire Hawks. And, even though I've moved to and stuck with the Salamanders, the Damned Legionnaires and Fire Hawks still hold a place in my heart.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&record=2307&id=466&full=1

Project: Exorcists - Badab War Era

Sponsor: ScorpioDanger

Okay, a small apology on this one. SD's Exorcists are a fairly recent addition to the work queue, but they're already done?!? What the <bleep>, Carlson!?

Well, as noted earlier, an issue at work kept me there late, but because of the nature of the issue, I had a good bit of free time. Well, I looked over my queue, saw SD's logo was very easy to do (about a half hour in 5 minute blocks), so I knocked it out.

Hidden Content

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&record=2309&id=467&full=1

Unit: The Living Litany

Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dread and no facts to cloud his mind.

While it's always useful to have a few tonnes of adamantium and ceramite piloted by a half-dead Space Marine on your side, the quotation is "…if he has a dream…", not a dread.

Edited by Lucien Eilam

Unit: The Living Litany

Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dread and no facts to cloud his mind.

While it's always useful to have a few tonnes of adamantium and ceramite piloted by a half-dead Space Marine on your side, the quotation is "…if he has a dream…", not a dread.

I took the quote straight from the banner appearing on The Living Litany in the current Imperial Knights codex. There, the word is 'dread'. If you compare 'dread' to the word 'mind' printed below it, the last letter matches the D in 'mind', not the M.

However, looking at it again, the end of the quote should read "...if he has a dread, and as facts to cloud his mind." Course, seeing as “[his] words are garbled, unfamiliar even to those that know that archaic language. On and on the phrases are murmured, almost as if the voice were struggling to master human speech. The little that can be understood beseeches the Emperor, while damning the woes of the universe”, he could very well be crazy, possessed, or both.

gallery_80588_10710_106894.jpg

Edited by Carlson793

I took the quote straight from the banner appearing on The Living Litany in the current Imperial Knights codex. There, the word is 'dread'. If you compare 'dread' to the word 'mind' printed below it, the last letter matches the D in 'mind', not the M.

It's an old "thought for the day", printed in various old rulebooks including 3rd edition. It's definitely supposed to be "dream". Repeat their typo if you like, but the resulting sentence doesn't make much sense.

However, looking at it again, the end of the quote should read "...if he has a dread, and as facts to cloud his mind."

That makes even less sense than their typo.

Personally, whether GW made a typo or not, the commission was to recreate the imagery for the various Freeblades, which has been done (minus the one 'no'-in-place-of-'as' misread on my part. And ultimately, it is fitting for the Freeblade described: someone who's a touch mad, spouting out bits of Emperor praising verses, though the words are altered in their madness.

• 2 weeks later...

Current Active Project: Imperial Harbingers

I've said before: it's just doesn't feel like a good week until I've posted a decal sheet. Well, while working on a commission that'll take another week or so to complete, I checked my records and saw it's been two weeks since my last sheet posted. Went through my back log of projects on the pile and noticed I hadn't touched my 'Missing Chapters' folder - the chapters from the '04 How To Paint Space Marines that don't yet have B&C sheets - in quite some time. A couple are quick jobs to knock out, sooo...

Hidden Content

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&record=2317&id=471&full=1