Carlson's College of Arms and Graffiti

I... might want the keep + another element not yet present for my Inheritors...

One of the Rooks with something else added? Easy enough to accomplish, think. 

Well, I was thinking of a hybrid aquila inside the rook (the wings from one image and the central body+heads+talons from another).

Which particular Aquilas you thinking of having combined? The 'Dead Chicken' from the current Imperial Knight sheet? (Hmm... need to revise my Aquila sheet with that one.)

You want ragged wings (little notches here and there) or smooth? Kinda hard to tell at the resolution of the source image.

And that'd be black Aquila on white rook on black shoulder pad, correct?

Smooth? Smooth. Yeah, smooth. I think.

Yeah. Black bird, white castle, black pads. Thing is - I'm completely reinventing my oldest Chapter's heraldry on nothing more than whim. Shot in the dark, and all that. Beats repurposing the White Consuls symbol, though.

Sorry, Olis. Had a small family "emergency" that cost me a day (sitting at my folks house babysitting their dog that has separation issues while they did a rescue/transport on a couple fostered Great Pyrenees elsewhere in the state).

Anyway, just had time to load the Inheritors sheet to my Google Drive. Lemme know how that works for you.

Ooohhh... I really like the keep no. 10. No idea what I'd use it for (Heresy Imperial Fists Company identifier, maybe?) but I like it.

Maybe replace the Angels Revenant burning skull with the Imperial Fists...umm, fist. Treat it like a campaign badge, perhaps. Maybe swap the crossed gladius for a more IF iconographic weapon pair...

gallery_80588_10710_90280.jpg

Okay, The Psycho. Right now I'm listing this as an "Imperial Fist Campaign Badge". Except for #1, they all use IF iconography (the crossed gladius in #1 would be more Ultramarines, I think).

gallery_80588_10710_48243.jpg

Edited by Carlson793

Ooohhh... I really like the keep no. 10. No idea what I'd use it for (Heresy Imperial Fists Company identifier, maybe?) but I like it.

Maybe replace the Angels Revenant burning skull with the Imperial Fists...umm, fist. Treat it like a campaign badge, perhaps. Maybe swap the crossed gladius for a more IF iconographic weapon pair...

gallery_80588_10710_90280.jpg

Okay, The Psycho. Right now I'm listing this as an "Imperial Fist Campaign Badge". Except for #1, they all use IF iconography (the crossed gladius in #1 would be more Ultramarines, I think).

gallery_80588_10710_48243.jpg

I'm personally a big fan of the first one. The simplicity of the gladii speaks to the ideal of the Imperial Fists in my mind, Astartes using simple, efficient, and effective weapons in the performance of their duty. The more ornate Templar swords are very nice, but they feel just a tad too fancy for my personal image of the VII, and the axes, while already an established part of Imperial Fist iconography, have a connotation of brutality due to Fafnir Rahn and the future Executioners chapter. So, yeah... sorry if this train of thought makes absolutely no sense. But no. 1's still my favorite. :)

Also, if you make a sheet of these, would you mind doing two versions of this sheet? One with black icons and one yellow?

Also, if you make a sheet of these, would you mind doing two versions of this sheet? One with black icons and one yellow?

Yellow icons, huh?.. Might cause some problems visually (I wouldn't recommend yellow on white), but here are a few ways we could do it.

gallery_80588_10710_13314.jpg

Project: Blades of Alaric

Sponsor: Brother Arkley

This one turned around fairly quickly, but with the back-and-forth on the design I thought I'd show how a decal sheet changes from concept to completion (battle plans never survive contact with the enemy; decal concepts never survive contact with your graphic designer).

Brother Arkley started with this description:

So I was thinking they are called the Blades of Alaric, so a Downward pointed DA style sword with 3 6 pointed stars in white.

Not knowing at that point what kind of 6-pointed stars he wanted, I did a solid one for the concept, plus a second version with three different looks for those stars.

gallery_80588_10710_226409.jpg

Seeing his concept realized, Bro. Arkley came back with a few modifications he wanted:

The hilt of the sword can its be thickened and like the pommel

sorry to be a pain could you try with this picture for the star... Do you thikn 3 is too much? Would a 8 pointed star like the pic I link be better under the sword hilt?

...with a link to the specific star he wanted (from one of the Horus Heresy books based on the art style). Which looked a lot like the stars making up the Steel Brethren CSM chapter, which I'd created a sheet for long ago (Has it really only been a little over a year I've been doing these? Seems so much longer.).

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/3/39/Steel_Brethren_badge.png

I prepped another sample but the three stars just hanging out around the sword just didn't feel right. So tried a couple rearrangements: one that added a star and spaced them closer to the sword, and another that kept just three stars, but overlapped the guard and pommel.

gallery_80588_10710_59886.jpg

Some more modifications from B.Arkley:

Can you do one with the Star at the back and just one star? And make the cross guard like the pommel? And the sword over the star?

Since I was thinking the star would be centered on the guard, I needed to lengthen the rays of the star to show up.

gallery_80588_10710_47240.jpg

One last suggestion:

Any chance of the star points abut half their size? and half way down or would that look too odd?

...and we had this:

gallery_80588_10710_67070.jpg

First concept post: 5:50 pm

Final design approval: 8:51 pm

Sheet loaded and approved: 11:00 pm

(Those times aren't typical. I'm usually spending days messaging back-and-forth with a 'client' in another part of the world; with this one, we just happened to be online at the same time. Also, the design complexity here didn't need much work - the DA sword is simple to duplicate; the hardest part of doing stars is telling Illustrator how deep to make the points; and the 'open star' I lifted straight from a previous sheet.)

That shoulder pad picture is actually from the 4th Edition Chaos Space Marines Codex. Just FYI. :)

Also, great work! I really like that symbol. And the eight-pointed star is very nice... hum...

Okay, this one's been on the back burner for a long while. A request got me thinking about it again, and how to cover as many bases as I could with one sheet. Since I've started layered PDFs, the idea is a lot easier to implement. Basically: enough squad markings for a battle company, but accounting for the differing markings for each role. That way, folks who prefer the 'explosion' mark instead of the 'chevron' for their Devastator squads can toggle the appropriate layer to get what they want.

Oh, and markings for Rhinos with the 'top hatch split'.

Will also, of course, have sheets in different colors should you want red/blue/whatever color.

gallery_80588_10710_91417.jpg

Ya know, I have yet to figure out just what is wrong with me. I mean, I tell one sponsor that I'm gonna take a few days off to get caught up on life before getting to the couple sheets they requested, and within 24 hours I have the basis for both sheets in the 'scale and duplicate' stage. SHEESH!!

This one started as a request by Brother Arkley*, and morphed into yet another "I've been meaning to do X sheet, so might as well do it now." In addition to all the chapter and squad symbols, Insignium Astartes has a page showing Army/Campaign Badges. Well, a slow day at work, and the base designs are done. Figure I'll skip the usual 8mm Shoulder Pad size and stick to 5mm (Knees) and a larger version for vehicles (12-16mm). Might have to go A4 instead of A5 so I can get enough vehicle sized ones for a decent army.

(Brother Arkley: the ones you requested are sampled on the bottom row.)

gallery_80588_10710_267879.jpg

*Gimme a break, Arkley! Three requests in a week! I play Mechanicus - that doesn't make me a machine, ya know?! :wink: