[HH1.0] 30k Ultramarines tactics

GreyCrow

Yeah, it's a shame an Allied Detachment is so limited in scope - One of each slot bar troops which is two is just not much...!

Completely agree on the Augmented weapons aswell, it's a massive shame they become useless in Genecrafted.

Also discovered (unless they changed it) Militia Shotguns are only S3... Boo!

Infiltrating Ogryns could be really cool though, especially with S7 Power Axes, though a shame the Initiative boost is useless bringing them to 3 or still at 1 with an Axe anyway! But probably something to be said about having a boarding shield or two in there and Carapace armour. Nice chunky bodyguard for the Force Commander/ first wave of attack.

Then after that there isn't any Infantry in the FA or HS slots of the Militia, so you don't get the scoring or Infiltrate bonus.

What about the marine part of the force? I suppose the main advantage is cheap Recon Squads to paint units for the LA:U rules and be the compulsory troops but they don't seem to do much other than unlock some Stormeagles...

Edited by Charlo

• 4 months later...

Ahoy, frater of the 500 worlds!

Thought I'd breathe life back into this thread with a load of questions!

I've got a narrative event coming up for which I need a 1k, 2k and 3k list for three separate games. The idea is the 1k force is a scouting force (based on the Centurion ruleset) that calls in the 2k list as support, which then escalates to the big 3k list for the last game.

2k/3k I have a reasonable idea of what I'm doing, but the 1k list has me stumped. I'm looking at two fairly minimal tac squads in Rhinos as my Troops, but my HQ is a mystery to me, as is pretty much everything else.

I'd happily go with a Chaplain, but he's only really benefitting a single squad with Zealot. A Vigilator is possibly a good alternative with the pre-Turn One shot that, if the dice are friendly, will do a decent amount of damage before the game even starts, but he's not that great a force multiplier after that. Forge Lord is a good beatstick, but doesn't do much for the rest of my dudes either. However, as far as I can tell, those are my top three at 1k points.

Not really looking at the Delegatus or plain Centurion for narrative reasons, and in order to get the most from a Siege Breaker I'd need to commit to artillery and quad launchers, which seems like a bit of a jerk move at this point level!

Similarly, as it's supposed to be a scouting force, I'm looking at Outriders with Melta Bombs and/or Las-Javelins for AT to run alongside the mechanised tac squads, which will take me pretty close to my 1k, but that obviously leaves my HQ with not much to do, and without any way of getting anywhere.

I'd take a Damocles Rhino if I could, but I don't think I can under at 1k or lower, so if I go with a Vigilator he'd be either in a Volkite or Missile HSS on the back line, or a Chaplain/Forge Lord in a Rhino with Weapon Master Vets, but I don't like the idea of Vets in a forward scouting force from a narrative sense.

Any thoughts? I'll edit the post with a real list if I get some time!

Here's this (probably terrible) list -

+++ Ultras - 1k (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [1000pts] +++

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain: Artificer Armour, Bike with Twin-linked Bolter, Space Marine, Bolt Pistol, Legatine Axe, Melta Bombs

. . Consul

. . . . Chaplain: Power Axe

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. . Categories: Infantry, Legiones Astartes, Compulsory Troops, Troops

. . Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion: Extra Armour

. . Standard Wargear: Bolters

. . Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. . Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion: Extra Armour

. . Standard Wargear: Bolters

. . Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

+ Fast Attack +

Attack Bike Squadron, Legion

. . Attack Bike, Legion: Autocannon

. . . . Chainsword or Combat Blade: Combat Blade

. . Attack Bike, Legion: Autocannon

. . . . Chainsword or Combat Blade: Combat Blade

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron, Legion

. . Javelin Attack Speeder, Legion: 2x Hunter-killer Missile, Multi-melta, Twin-linked Lascannon

Outrider Squad, Legion: 3x Space Marine Outrider, Legion, Twin-linked Bolter

. . Additional Wargear: Melta Bombs

. . Power Weapon: Power Sword

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Support Squad (5), Legion Missile Launcher

If I drop the Extra Armour from the Rhinos I think I can pop a Legatine Axe on the Chaplain, which I'm assuming is absolutely worth it.

Remember that the crozius can't be traded away, per the latest FAQ.

And it wouldn't be. The Legatine Axe is, IIRC, an upgrade to the Chainsword/Combat Blade which the Chaplain still has. If I went down that route I'd swap the Crozi-axe which he currently has for either a Maul, in case I'm up against Mechanicum at any point.

sounds like a theme is in order. You seem to be heading towards a Vigil Opertii ROW. it all depends if you want the militia models in your army,

I am likely heading that way, but not at 1k points! Bringing in a Praetor and then the mandatory allies would be too cost prohibitive, and I'd end up being all troops and nothing fun!

Remember that the crozius can't be traded away, per the latest FAQ.

And it wouldn't be. The Legatine Axe is, IIRC, an upgrade to the Chainsword/Combat Blade which the Chaplain still has. If I went down that route I'd swap the Crozi-axe which he currently has for either a Maul, in case I'm up against Mechanicum at any point.

Per the FAQ

Replaces their chainsword or combat blade (or power weapon if in Terminator armour) with a Crozius Arcanum, which is a power weapon (type as shown on model). The Crozius Arcanum is a Chaplain’s symbol of office and may not be replaced by any other weapon.

So that'd be a nope.

Centurion rules from Eye of Horus podcast (the guys that invented the centurion play-mode):

• Tanks, Fliers, Drop Pods, Superheavies are not allowed.
  • Bikes, Attack Bikes, Jet Bikes, Artillery, Monstrous Creatures, Leviathan Siege Dreadnoughts are 0-1 choices.

So you can take a unit of 3x javelins and a unit of 6x scimitars. Not really a loophole, its pretty much one of the rules that define Centurion games.

• 4 months later...

Coming back to the stuff I posted months ago now further up the page, I've just received the event pack. Rules for the 1k game is an adapted version of Centurion, with the following conditions - 

• All Infantry, Jump Infantry and Dreadnoughts (other than Leviathan or Telemon pattern) are allowed with only normal restrictions per their army list entry and Rite of War (if applicable).
  • Bikes, Attack Bikes, Jet Bikes, Artillery, Monstrous Creatures, Leviathan or Telemon Dreadnoughts are 0-1 choices. In the case of Leviathans, this is 0-1 model, not 0-1 Talon.
  • Tanks with combined Armour Values of 32 or less (counting side armour once) are allowed, provided they do not possess any weapons with the Ordnance type (so no Medusae!).
  • In all cases, ignore the “Support Officer” (or functionally identical) rules. This is to reflect that a Scout Force could feasibly be commanded by an otherwise junior officer.
  • Drop Pods may be taken as dedicated transports for Infantry only. No Dreadnought Drop Pods or Castaferrum Dreadnoughts in standard Drop Pods may be taken.
  • Flyers, Super Heavy Vehicles, Lords of War and Fortifications are not allowed

I've come up with a 1k list I'm pretty happy with for now, but could use a hand expanding to 2k and 3k, if you guys don't mind. As it's a narrative event rather than a proper 'tournament' I'd like to stick to a theme of a Codex-Testbed force, i.e. using only units which have a 40k analogue. Tacticals are Tacticals, Seekers are Sternguard, etc. etc. As the games increase in size I'll add in other units representing the Company Captain realising that at this stage and against Legion opponents, Guilliman's Draft Codex is too limiting and he needs to bring in the bigger guns.

1k list is as follows -

• Vigilator - AA, Power Axe, Plasma Pistol
  • Tactical Squad (x 10) - PF/AA, Rhino
  • Tactical Squad (x 10) - PF/AA, Rhino
  • Seeker Squad (x 5) - 4 x Combi-Plas, PF/AA, Rhino
  • Outriders (x 3) - Plasma Guns, Melta Bombs
  • Javelin (x 1)- Lascannons, Multi-Melta, 2 x HK

That's 1k on the nose. I don't think there's much there that's unnecessary spending, although the HK missiles on the Javelin might be overkill because I'm unlikely to face much armour. I feel like 25 bodies at this point level is a healthy number, but I can drop something to take more doods if that seems necessary. 

The 1k game is based around a single objective - a comms relay in the exact board centre that starts the game as either Loyalist-controlled, Traitor-controlled or contested based on a D6 roll. Whoever controls it at the end of the game gains 2 VPs, with the highest VP winning the game. Secondary objectives are StW & FB.

Loose battleplan would be -

• Javelin & Bikes target any transports or elite/2+ units to try and slow the baddies down/aim for First Blood
  • Vigilator rides with Seekers, hopefully softening whatever their target unit is with his pre-game attack
  • Tacticals provide fire support and counter charges as/when needed
  • Rhinos give me sweet, sweet to hit re-rolls thanks to LA:U once everyone's out of them, and then possibly become speed bumps

I'm aware that this list will be somewhat weak to a CC-focused army like SoH, EC or NL, but I'm not toooooo fussed about rolling the dice on that because most of the traitor players seem to be Alpha Legion or Iron Warriors, so I'm more likely to go up against them. 

For the 2k & 3k games, the only restrictions are no Primarchs or named characters, and no Knights armies or allies (though we can take a single Knight as an LoW). Everything else is fair game.

The event is at the end of August, and I'll be using ETL to paint up everything I need - Thus the time has come to lock down the rest of my lists.

Any thoughts, mon Frater? I'd really appreciate the help and any tactical advice. This is my first event and I'm much more of a builder/painter than a gamer!

Edited by StruManChu

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I want to make sure this list is allowed under the Logos Lectora rite of war

HQ

Praetor

Master of Signals

Elite

Apothecarian Detachment

-3x Apothecaries

Invictarus Suzerain Squad

Terminator Squad

-Land Raider DT

Troops

3x 15 man Tactical Squads

Fast Attack

2x Xiphons

Heavy Support

2x Sicarans

Lords of War

Rowboat

What are people's experiences with Fulmentarus Terminators, either fielding them or being on the receiving end ?

Are the missile launchers the only valid set up ? 

What about Reaper autocannons - yay or nay ?

I'm considering to include some of them in a small 1k pts. allied detachment, but haven't made up my mind as of now.

Right now, it comes down to decide between a squad of nine, all missile launchers, DS'ing in with an attached Warmonger, costing roughly 800 pts. or just a small unit of five, carrying Reapers, deploying normally, costing 350 pts.

• 9 months later...

So, what are people's experiences of using XIII Legion Breachers with power swords? Love the kit and am looking to pick up some new units to work on while I'm stuck working from home over the next few weeks/months...

Great models but it's lacking the Wrath of God feel to their rules if you think of the points costs.

So, what are people's experiences of using XIII Legion Breachers with power swords? Love the kit and am looking to pick up some new units to work on while I'm stuck working from home over the next few weeks/months...

Great models but it's lacking the Wrath of God feel to their rules if you think of the points costs.

I guess a base squad of ten, with no other upgrades other than the Power Swords and Artificer Armour on the Sergeant does come in at 260pts...

Outside of ZM you'd probably need to give them a Land Raider as well wouldn't you?