[225]10x Tactical Support Marines - Volkite Calivers

Fast
[210]Xiphon Interceptor - Chaff launchers

Heavy
[2xx]Spartan Assault Tank
[1xx]Vindicator Laser Destroyer
[1xx]Vindicator Laser Destroyer

Now Tictacs

Guilliman, the Chaplain and the Suzies all rock up in the Spartan. Boring but meh, Ive not done that with my Blood Angels. On the charge its a whole world of pain.
Rhino Marines are for mid field objective grabbing.
Volkite Marines camp backfield objectives, the Mo Signal joins one unit and makes em shootier. 30 inch range, str 6 and deflag can be pretty tasty, can take out light armour too.
The VLD's both have tank hunter thanks to Guillimans Preternatural Strategy rule. They also camp back field.
Xiphon comes on, kills flyers then other tanks.

Now a rules questions.

The RoW states you cant take more units with the Tank or Flyer rule then Infantry units. Now as you can see from my list, I'm at 6  to 5. The question is do the characters count as infantry units? Thus making the list legal and giving me a score of 6 to 8. If not I need to drop a tank or 2.

I don't think characters count no, as that would be a bit too easy to skirt by. However, the red book lists ICs a unit, so you'd technically be fine. I'd email FW to get a ruling though.

10 volkites is already quite hefty in my honest opinion, yet 10 marines in a tactical squad feels light. I'd almost want to drop the rhinos in favor of more tacticals, especially with the benefits conveyed by rite of war, but meh.

I think it's a good all around list and you should keep nearly everything the way it is. I might suggest switching out one of the volkite squads for a heavy weapons squad to complement the MoS barrage but I think you've got everything pretty well knocked down. This list might fear facing a Typhon though as it could very well just eliminate a whole volkite squad and cut your anti infantry in half.

Make sure to use the rerolls for your squads by firing at stuff with your rhinos and tacticals to get quasi markerlights.

Other than that, it's a solid list.

So I had my first game today. Proxyed to hell using my Blood Angels vs Neils World Eater / Dark Angel / Mechanicum based Nightlords. http://www.leeds-nightowls.co.uk/forums/Smileys/akyhne/cheesy.gif

I used the above list, assuming that the HQs count as an infantry unit for the purpose of the RoW. 

I forgot a load of rules but overall the list was brutal and took Neil apart. I'll not do a full battle report. But I'll do rough summaries of each units effectiveness

Deployment was Vindi far left flank, Support squad with Mo Signal (in woods), Rhino, Spartan in the center, Rhino, Support Squad (in a bunker), Vindi far right board edge
Neil ran a null deployment Drop pod based Nightlords. With Curze, Raptors and terror Squads.

The Logos Lectora (RoW) - Dont know what to think of this.  The extra troops and mandatory HQs are a pain to fit in. The restrictions with tanks and flyers and units is a bit fuzzy rules wise (my list is possibly illegal) and I dont think the bonuses are worth it. BS2 overwatch is ok but nothing to write home about. Counter attack on tactical or support squads is pointless and rerolling run is... well... yeah.... This will probably be ditched.

Mo Signal - Didnt do much himself. However the physical threat of the D3 Str 8 Ap3 Pieplates stopped the Nightlords deepstriking and shooting, they had to spread out. Forgot about the whole +1BS thing. I liked him, for the points hes very effective. I wouldnt ever upgrade him though.

Chaplain - As is, he was Ok. He is there purely for the rerolls in CC. I may ditch the Artificer armour as he's in a unit of guys who can all issue and accept challenges and have Artificer themselves.

Tactical Squads - Did exactly as I wanted. Moved flat out turn 1, while waiting for the pods to drop in. Disembarked turn 2 on midfield objectives and shot stuff.

Support Squads -  First ever use of Volkite weapons. Silly range, loads of shots and overwatch at BS2 makes them not bad at all. However I think FoL bolters would of done the same type of damage. These may be swapped out to make the Tactical Squads larger. Need further play testing.

Suzies -  Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.... Oh so very wrong. Every Alpha Legion and Ultra marine list will have these now.  They are fecking nuts. Even more so when you give them rerolls to hit (chaplain) and rerolling 1's to wound (warlord trait).  This unit killed Curze (Guilliman had challenge Curze out tbh) and his Squad along with another named NL character (Servetar?) and his squad, at the same time. Dont get me wrong, they do have counters, but they are very very good.

Xiphon - Not bad, not special either. Im guessing this was due to a lack of tanks to fire at though. May be swapped to a Storm Eagle. Needs further play testing.

Spartan -  Delivered the Suzies and co to the target. While killing a few marines. Nothing much else to say.

VLDs - Christ! With tank hunter these things are death to things with an AV! Silly amounts of dice when rolling to pen! Yes I was only shooting drop pods but these things between em would of taken down a Knight a turn no problem.

Guilliman - Well, what can I say. He 'bitch slapped'* Curze in a challenge. By 'bitch slapped' I mean kept him distracted whilst the Suzies mopped up the unit then jumped on Curze. Murdered some poor Terror Squad Sargent who accepted his challenge (punched him so hard he exploded and killed 4 mates). Thats it. Not a lot for a 400 point LoW. But he is a force multiplier. Troops Suzies, extra LD, Tank hunter VLDs. All amazing, thus making him amazing.

Over all I really enjoyed my first game with them. They play so vastly differently to my Blood Angels too which is strange as they use the same core rules. Love it! So much Ive bought my ticket for a 30k campaign next April. Lets do this!

Project log will be starting soon!

Interesting batrep mate !

I'm very curious about what the Legiones Astartes rules (namely rerolls 1 to shooting and reroll charge distances) did for you in this game ? So far like you said, the rules, ROW of the Ultras don't seem particularly sexy but the units they have are !

It's also very interesting to see Volkite Caliver Tactical Support Squads having some use ! I've always wondered what was the point of this option, but for a long range scoring unit, it's very interesting :)

Volkite Culverins do pretty nasty things to any troop unit. Maybe switch one caliber squad out for them?

I don't think the Xiphon is worth its points, possibly take a Scorpius or a Sicaran instead. It sounds like your two Vindis did pretty well on their own vs tank threats.

The only problem you may face would be 2+ Knights, but I haven't quite seen a list that can deal with them quickly, as that's the nature of the game.

The Curze Terror list usually runs pretty competitively in my books, but I'd like to see other lists up against yours. I feel that the Suzerains are essentially keeping the list together. If someone was able to crack the Spartan and make them walk, you'd be in deep yogurt :P I feel similarly because I run 10 terminators in a Spartan. Maybe run a 2000 point list sans primarch and see how it works.

Greycow, I keep forgetting about both those rules! Whoops!

Depthcharge12. Thats good idea about running the smaller game size. I cant take the scorpion or Sicarans as heavy is full with the 2 VLDs and Spartan.

Anyhow, thanks to the joys that are bank holidays. I managed another game today, same list Vs a Dark Angel themed 30K list with a few rules from the campaign I'm going too.

(Rules pack if your interested, has a few home brew rules for the Legions FW haven't got to yet..https://www.dropbox.com/s/7a3iwx8gpxcw11v/HH_MBPack_V1.0.pdf?dl=0 )

I'll go through the list again. Like before.

The Logos Lectora (RoW) - 2nd game using this, and I dislike it more and more every game. This is gettting changed, I just wont use any RoWs.

Mo Signal - BS 5 Volkite is nice now I remembered about it. But hes not worth paying 95 points for that alone. The Barrage attack is OK but people tend to just spread out. Also getting removed.

Chaplain - He makes the Suzies great, but need more protection. Even more so if he is my only HQ.

Tactical Squads - I think frog marching these is porbably the better option. But I love rhino dashing objectives. So will stay the same.

Support Squads -  Sometimes they are amazing. Othertimes they just dont do anything. All depends on my opponents luck with there first round of Saves. The unit is 50/50 at the moment. They may get cut.

Suzies -  Died an oh so horrible death. Charged the enemy Praetor and his unit. Destroyed them without thinking. Stood out in the open for the enemy shooting phase. Took 12 plasma and 5 melta, shots to the face and died. Funny that.

Xiphon - Did me proud, Killed the enemy VLD, multiple Land speeders, Predator and a Rhino. I like it. Mostly as protection from enemy fliers.

Spartan -  took 3 HP first turn, really need Armoured Ceramite. I was very lucky that it wasnt destroyed. Delivered Suzies and co and acted as a shelter for a wounded Guilliman.

VLDs - Still amazing. Though my opponent had 1 as well. So mine got shot first and spent most of the game snap firing or trying to get Line of Sight.

Guilliman - Love this guy. Though I think he may be a bit of a crutch. He tanked multiple plasma shots (that reroll is ace) destroyed the enemy Praetor. Along with the usual army buffing stuff.

New list on the way!

Have you thought about dropping one squad only of the volks? Also I read a lot of comments on reducing gear or numbers when it comes to power squads like the suzs to prevent being left in the open after blitzing the target. perhaps reduce the overall power/size a little?

Great to read your findings, always informative!

My experience with Legion lists is limited, however I find the unique Ultramarines RoW far too restrictive to consider.

I'm glad you've had success with the Primarch. I can tell without playing him that he is a fantastic character, I actually feel he's one of the best of the Emperor's sons, rules wise - definitely in model.

Archived