Thinking of Starting Sisters.

Rommel44

Hey mates. With all the fuss going on with the new Marines going on, it reminded me that while I am a fan of Space Marines, I have always wanted to field a Sisters of Battle Army but never had due to numerous reasons. That being said, I am in a position to possibly get a solid foundation for an army going here in a bit, but before I make any big purchases, wanted to ask you guys some things about the Sisters of Battle.

* Would they make a good Mechanized List or are better as a Defensive, shooting list?

* Best units on the current Codex (heard Saint Celestine, Seraphim, and Dominion Squads are good choices for infantry).

* Any word on plastic models? Biggest reason for not going them earlier is the lack of models available to run them and the fact they are Pewter still. Which leads me to this question.

* Thoughts on using regular Space Marine models with Sisters of Battle rules? Or would there be a better option?

* The Avenger Strike Fighter is the only fighter that the Sisters can take correct?

Appreciate the help mates.

1. Sisters are really good as a mechanized force. Defensively, not so much, if only because the guns we have access to are short to medium range. Natively, the longest ranged gun we have is 48".

2. Dominion Squads hands down. Exorcists in heavy support, though lately I've been getting mileage out of Heavy Bolter Retributors. Saint Celestine is great if you have a squad of Seraphim she can run around with - T3 on a 2+/4++ is still very flimsy without Eternal Warrior, even though she has surefire Hit and Run. I've personally found that a Canoness with Rosarius, Mantle of Ophelia, and Eviscerator can pull similar weight without folding to S6+ stuff.

3. Plastic model rumors have been floating around for years. It takes a certain love for the army to build it regardless of the rumors - I believe they will come out when they come out. If they do come out eventually, then hooray, more models for us, and we can finally model those things that (at least for me) were never used because there was no model available. Power Axe on Sister Superiors? Combi-weapons up the wazoo? Yes, please!

4. Take a look at Salamaders, they have the same love for Flamer/Melta weapons.

5. There is another flyer that is rarely taken, it's another Forgeworld thing. Arvus Light Fighter (?)

Appreciate the feedback mate. Main reason I asked about using Space Marines is if anyone else has done that or should I invest the time and effort to get Sisters of Battle models. Or has anyone done any conversions that worked out.

Every time I've tried to play Sisters defensively I've been thoroughly wrecked. It is my opinion/experience that we have to play aggressively to win. Hit early, hit hard, and never let up, because T3 is unforgiving and it seems like there is a lot more AP3+ out there than ever these days.

5. There is another flyer that is rarely taken, it's another Forgeworld thing. Arvus Light Fighter (?)

Arvus Lighter. It's a flying Rhino, except it has no guns. You can buy one gun for it, but that gun can only ever fire at BS2. Sisters also get the Aquila Lander, which is more like a flying Razorback (Nose-mounted Autocannon but only 7 transport cap). It's also the single most Imperial looking model ever made in my humble opinion. biggrin.png

Appreciate the feedback mate. Main reason I asked about using Space Marines is if anyone else has done that or should I invest the time and effort to get Sisters of Battle models. Or has anyone done any conversions that worked out.

There are a few conversion projects floating around this forum at the moment, shouldn't take more than a couple of moments to dig them up. smile.png

I'm still in the process of building my own sisters force, so I am a complete Sororitas novice, but I will echo Sedibear and the good warsmith and say that sisters are most definitely an aggressive army. Since most of our firepower is short ranged, the codex firmly encourages getting into flamer range as soon as possible in order to start burning all of the things! :lol:

Model wise, I still firmly believe that the current sisters models are some of the nicest looking minis that geedubz has ever produced. They may be lacking in variety, but painting them is an absolute delight imo.

To expand on my answer because I am not on my mobile this time:

Would they make a good Mechanized List or are better as a Defensive, shooting list?

I mentioned my thoughts on playing them defensively, but I also feel that they do mech very well. The Immolator and the Exorcist are both very good, and the Rhino is what it is. We lack an organic assault transport, so if you want to run Repentia or Battle Conclaves it gets trickier, but still doable even without allies.

Best units on the current Codex (heard Saint Celestine, Seraphim, and Dominion Squads are good choices for infantry).

You have heard correctly. Celestine is a beast even with T3, and Dominions are the rock stars of the Sisterhood. Seraphim are good, but you really need to get them to the right target. In addition to that, I find that my Retributors routinely punch well above their weight. I'd never bother with Heavy Bolters on my CSM, but the girls somehow make them work.

Any word on plastic models?

They are a constant rumour and a consistent failure to appear. The sudden release of an Adeptus Mechanicus army for 40k has lead me to believe that anything is possible except knowing the minds of the GW heads. They will come when they come, if at all.

Thoughts on using regular Space Marine models with Sisters of Battle rules? Or would there be a better option?

As a proxy to see if you like the army's play-style and to choose which units to invest in first I say, "go for it." As a permanent option I say, "you will not regret buying metal Sisters if plastic Sisters come out, but you WILL regret NOT buying metal Sisters if plastics NEVER come out."

The Avenger Strike Fighter is the only fighter that the Sisters can take correct?

As has been said, there are more options. The Avenger is a good attack aircraft and worth taking. I can't afford the FW model, so I made a conversion out of the considerably less expensive Ork Dakka Jet and an Immolator gunner.

Thanks for the feedback. Will look around to see if any conversions catch my eye but so far no luck in that regard. Kinda annoying that GW continues to be jerks and not say a dang thing or do anything to fix this but that's the company's greed and stupidity for you lol.

What are your guy's thoughts on the Repressor Rhino transport? Is it worth taking or would I be better off with just the regular Rhino? And for the mounted Battle Sister Troop Squads, would Meltas be a good choice or should aim go with flamers? And as for Dominions, mounted or foot - slogging? Still new to them so any tips would help.

The Repressor is almost cheesy. It's five points dearer than an Immolator, and you are basically swapping twin-linked for a storm bolter, +4 transport, +6 (or is it +8? I forget) fire points, a dozer blade and FAV13.

I personally prefer the DAngel flier for Avenger conversions.

Some odd rumor has them slated to be after WFB big rule book release, but i myself do not put much credit in these rumours. Eg Oceans filled with salt story.

As a result i have been converting High Elf models to battle sisters (Sisters of averlorn). Plastic and made by GW and half the price of a full 10 woman Battle sister kit which is actually just some blisters put together by GW themselves. Not liked by all but always an option to consider. 

Edit: using them as Spacewolves (Order of the Shield maidens), but the idea behind it remains the same and nearly the same tactics, but with some more close combat options thrown in the mix.)

For flyers, basically you can take any of the Naval assets. These include the Thunderbolt, Lightning, and Vulture, as well as the Avenger. The reason the Avenger is favored is because of a line in its description, where it states that when Sisters request air support, they generally ask for the Avenger.

On a side note, technically all non-Marine aircraft are Naval assets, so if you wanted to, you could justify Valkyries or Vendettas. Of course, since those are in the Imperial Guard Codex, you will probably run into someone who objects that you don't have any IG allies other than the planes. Personally, I don't think it would be worth the effort.

And if you really wanted to irritate people, (and had the needed fundsbiggrin.png), you could get a Marauder. They seem to pack a lot of firepower.

Imperial Armour Volume 2 Second Edition has the most up to date rules, I believe.

But that one only  has a Valkerie listed as a flyer option for Sisters of battle (its the only IA volume i have actually).

IA2 was for the Repressor rules, not the fliers.

The fliers are in Imperial Armour: Aeronautica.

I don't believe Aeronautica does allow Sisters to take the Thunderbolt, etc. It only allows for the Avenger, Arvus and Aquila.

Miko is correct on this.  I got the flyer book to take advantage of my area finally allowing forgeworld and saw that Sisters only got three planes they can use.

That's what I thought as well. Granted although the Avenger Strike Fighter is only 2 HP it can still dish out a lot of firepower and even then I could just run an Aegis Defense Line.

That being said, already on the early stages of getting my army and one thing I am debating is should I go Immolator spam or should I run my Battle Sisters Squads in Repressor or Rhinos. Already plan to run Saint Celestine with a squad of Seraphim and obviously at least 2x squads of 6x Dominions with 3x Meltas and a Hvy. Flamer in a Immolator and some Exorcist but that's all I figured out at this point.

Dominions can't take heavy flamers. They can only take special weapons, and a combi-weapon for the superior.

Really, Repressors are an alternative to Immolators rather than Rhinos - they're closer to the Immolator in both price and firepower.

Ah thanks for the update. But in your opinion for the standard troop Battle Sisters, would a Repressor be worth it more or a regular Rhino for a 10x man squad. Or would the Repressor be a better choice for Dominions over the Immolator.

My opinion on that is no matter the squad size.  If the transport is dead in the water (deployment zone) first or second turn.  That entire squad has been taken out for the game for the most part.  Now that I am able to use the FW stuff.  I tried running repressors and wow I loved it.  Initial reactions especially from the guy that thinks spamming thunder wolf cavalry is fun for the opponent was cries of cheese when they didn't go down to small arms fire and autocannons first turn.  

I think of rhinos, immolators, and repressors as a cardboard box for the squads.  To me if I can push that transport for a turn or two without the cargo dieing it has done its job.  

I am sure others will tell you whats better.  For the additional points I am finding repressors are better to weather the first few turns, after that the side armor is just the same as the others.  

Appreciate the feedback and support. As it stands at the moment, I will be going with a Mechanized List for obvious reasons, and I have done well in all of the games I tested them out in. Initial thoughts:

* Repressors are just mean, plain and simple. Don't look scary being equipped with only a SB and a Hvy Flamer but they have been surprisingly effective and most people do not complain as they too are using FW.

* Celestine is still amazing in my book. Has been my MBA along with the Seraphim most games.

* Disappointed with the Avenger Strike Fighter. Can dish out a ton of damage but it has yet to survive after the turn it comes in as it gets focused, making me feel that I can use the points for something else.

* Regular Troop Battle Sisters in Repressors is great, however torn on either dropping one Melta Gun for a Hvy Flamer.

* Considered putting Dominions in Repressors as it would be effective but so.far having them outflank in a Multi-Melta Immolator has been very effective.

* Exorcists are awesome, one of if not the best Heavy Support in the game for sure. Even managed to shoot down a Hell - Drake with one.

Those are my initial thoughts so if you have other suggestions for other units please share. Appreciate the help so keep it coming.

If you find yourself outflanking your Dominions outside their transport more often than them coming on mounted, the Immolator is a better choice. The main advantage of the Repressor is that you can fire out of it with everyone - the front armour doesn't come into play as much when you're outflanking.

Archived