Index Traitoris: Pertinaax Helborne

Paradigm

PERTINAAX HELBORNE

The grenadier companies know as the Helborne come from the fallen world of Pertinaax III. Elitist and proud, only their astartes overlords are held in higher martial regard. Fundamentally an airborne force, the Helborne typically deploy via grav-chute directly on top of enemy positions. This rapid-strike doctrine ensures the sight of their bronzed valkyries are followed by terror and great bloodshed.

HERALDRY

coming soon...

HOMEWORLD

Located on the border between the Segmentums Obscurus and Pacifus, at the very edge of the Astronomican's range, Pertinaax III was spared the encroaching Imperium for nearly three thousand years. Initially insistent on retaining the independence they'd enjoyed since the end of Old Night, a bitter war ensued, and was only won by the combined might of several regiments of Imperial Guard and the now extinct Hounds of Ultramar chapter. While this war devastated the planet, the relentless bombing unearthed previously unknown mineral deposits. Eventually causing the Pertinaax system to become quite wealthy despite its isolation.

FOUNDATION

In M37 xenos forces from the halo stars invade the system. The weak planetary defense forces are greatly outmatched. A distress call is swiftly sent to Hydraphur, but goes strangely unanswered. A nearby warband of the Eighth Legion, hears the psychic distress signals and invades the system. The Night Lords known as "The Beasts of Sahkre" drive off the xenos and crush the broken PDF. Taking Pertinaax III as a recruiting world, the populace view the Night Lords as saviors, despite their heavy hand.

Sahkre, leader of the warband, his namesake, builds anew the Pertinaax PDF to better defend the system. When some PDF companies begin to emulate their benefactor’s method of warfare, Sahkre merges them into a new regiment. Utterly loyal, what would become the Helborne were used as a suppression force, then realizing their potential, the warband retrains them as airborne grenadiers.

SUMMANUS AND WAAAGH ZAZCAPF

By early M38 Pertinaax had become a society completely dominated by the ideals of Sahkre's host. All vestiges of the Imperium were either forgotten or corrupted into obscurity. They had a vast trading network among the myriad renegade worlds, with the heretek forge world Summanus their primary partner. The PDF ensured the system was defended and loyal, while the Beasts of Sahkre would leave for decades at a time to pursue the long war.

Around this time, Waaagh Zazcapf invaded the Summanus. While the Hereteks managed to slow the invasion, they knew their world couldn't hold, and requested assistance from their nearby trading partner. The Night Lords descended on Summanus, driving the orks offworld, but unknowingly send them towards Pertinaax. During the ensuing invasion Pertinaax's PDF managed to defend itself admirably, but Zazcapf's forces were overwhelming them. Only a desperate gamble by the Helborne's commandant prevents a collapse. Many valkyries are lost to swarming stormboyz, but the Helborne manage to insert their forces directly over Boss Zazcapf's location, and attack, killing him and driving his followers into infighting and disarray. The arrival of the Night Lords effectively ends any further threat, and the Orks scatter into the void.

Sahkre's return to Pertinaax had been delayed due to negotiations with Summanus. Eager to cast off any debts, the Heretek Magi of Summanus agree to exclusively outfit the Beasts of Sahkre with advanced weaponry and patterns of equipment unseen since the scouring. As a reward for their heroic offensive the Pertinaax Helborne are permitted to carry heavier, armor piercing weaponry, and are given access to select items from this new advanced arsenal. The regiment is further honored when Sahkre choose them to accompany his warband on raiding missions.

URIAH III

When the Exalted's warband uncovers a hidden callidus base, the Beasts of Sahkre answer their brethren's war summons. While the Pertinaax Helborne are onboard the Beasts' flagship, they are forbidden from participating in the battle.

DEFENSE OF PERTINAAX

coming soon...

ENTER THE BOUND

coming soon...

THE NIGHT OF A THOUSAND REBELLIONS

coming soon...

WARGEAR OF THE PERTINAAX HELBORNE

Summanus Pattern Autogun: More powerful and of superior craftsmanship, the Summanus Pattern fires it's ammunition with a much higher velocity than conventional auto guns ubiquitous among the traitorous masses. When combined with the adamantium rounds crafted from Pertinaax's mineral veins, all but the hardest armor is rendered useless.

Perdition Pattern Carapace: Superficially similar to the carapace of Cadia, the Perdition Pattern lacks many of the advanced features found in its cousin. While this affords it somewhat less utility, Perdition carapace is easily a protective equal.

Hello, Fortnight. It's been a while hasn't it? :)

Interesting start, although obviously you'll have to switch tenses as you edit the article. Having an article in the present tense feels a bit off. :wink: 

love the idea, though I dont believe a Night Lords warband would be the most likely to bring cultists or keep a dominion, though not all Night Lords think alike. Should of entered these bad boys in the current liber challenge, we need more chaos renegades to match the imperials!

Yay, Fortnight's back biggrin.png

It's a good place to be.

Hello, Fortnight. It's been a while hasn't it? :)

Interesting start, although obviously you'll have to switch tenses as you edit the article. Having an article in the present tense feels a bit off. :wink:

It has. I agree about the use of present tense. I always struggle to keep the appropriate one, in all my writing.

love the idea, though I dont believe a Night Lords warband would be the most likely to bring cultists or keep a dominion, though not all Night Lords think alike. Should of entered these bad boys in the current liber challenge, we need more chaos renegades to match the imperials!

Sahkre isn't your typical Night Lord, he wasn't fond of betraying the emperor, and for his warband, only about fifty years have passed since the end of the scouring by M37. Don't worry though, regimes have a habit of changing.

I'd have loved to have joined in on the liber challenge, but the Helborne aren't an entirely new creation. They were created for a campaign, called Assault on Pertinaax, I wrote a few years ago. I wrote the synopsis, and we had special rules for the different factions. While I'd intended to fully fluff out the story, life got in the way. If you search for Pertinaax you'll likely find the core of the story in fan fic. Since I'm just starting my R&H army, I thought it'd be fun to diy and use the Helborne fluff as the basis. Rest assured, in spirit, The Helborne are participants. The challenge certainly inspired me to get to work either way.

Archived