we were _______ once.......

so there's the luna wolves, dusk raiders, iron tenth, warhounds.......etc.

what were the Alpha Legion pre-primarch? what was the color scheme? favoured tactics?

I don't have the books, yet. so any helps would be great.

They had many names. Over 731, including Vigil, Aleph Null, the Amaranthine Coil, the Threefold Path, the Combine, and the Alpha Legion even before Alpharius came (which leads me to think he chose that name from the legion and not the inverse). They had many color schemes, including bronze, black, and amaranth.

They didn't all have names pre Primarch, most were just their numeral. It's only the Dusk Raiders, Warhounds, Imperial Heralds and the Storm Walkers (Iron Hands) who had different names before their Primarchs I think. As usual with the AL, I don't think we know much. There's an XX legion marine in Extermination still in the blue and silver; but the AL have been seen in various colours anyway.

Actually yeah the AL have had loads of names (750ish recognised cognomen according to Extermination) but none official.

They has so many pre-primarch names, it's almost pretty much a blank slate, unless you want to cover a specific group under a specific name.

Yeah, only the Luna Wolves, Dusk Raiders, War Hounds and Imperial Heralds had official names pre-Primarch. Legions like the X Legion Storm Walkers, XVIII Legion Imperial Rams, or the 731 names of the Alpha Legion.

And so, the "fun" begins.

They were the Ghost Legion.

I find this fits them best in theirbearly days. I even wrote some not awful fluff regarding them (shameless plug of my what if alpharius was found first series goes here).

Remember they were only very small back then number wise (then exploded overnight into a full legion past AO)

well crap, i was hoping to narrow it down!tongue.png

On the contrary - you should take advantage of this. You could make allusions to their Legions' (eventual) sneakiness etc by having various units saying that they are from [insert name], but contradict what other units say. That way every unit has their own name for the XX Legion (that could both be correct and incorrect msn-wink.gif ).

That's how I'd do it at least. (Hope that makes sense)

"Emperor's Children" and "Imperial Fists" were unofficial but Emperor-given nicknames that were officialized by the primarchs of these legions. The Imperial Army was the source of the IV's "Corpse Grinders" and the XVIII "Fearless" epithets.

The emperors children were named and awarded the Aquila for their sacrificial defence of the emperor during the unification wars as well I think?

No they were named the Emperors Children after a speech Fulgrim gave when he rejoined the legion, when there were about 300 left.

Oh right, they were known as it before then but he made it official then.

Yeah, the 4 Legions Kol named are the ones who changed their official names at the behest of their Primarchs. Other Legions only had informal nicknames (Storm Walkers, Corpse Grinders etc.) pre-Primarch, or the Primarchs decided not to alter their Legion's names (as I believe happened with at least Fulgrim and Dorn).

The emperors children were named and awarded the Aquila for their sacrificial defence of the emperor during the unification wars as well I think?

No they were named the Emperors Children after a speech Fulgrim gave when he rejoined the legion, when there were about 300 left.

Ahhh my bad, they were awarded Aquila, but not name until fulgrim took over, makes sense!

Ahhh my bad, they were awarded Aquila, but not name until fulgrim took over, makes sense!

Actually if I recall they were awarded the Aquila and the name together by the Emperor because he was so moved by the epic rousing speech Fulgrim delivered to his 300-strong "Legion" to restore their hope.

The new fluff is that the Emperor awarded the right to bear the Palatine Aquila after a cohort of Emperor's Children sacrificed their live to allow the wounded Emperor to escape an ambush. The Emperor and a guard of EC and Legio Custodes were ambushed by insurrectionists who used a vortex weapon to wound the Emperor. This event was known as the Proximan Betrayal. It doesn't specifically say whether this event occurred before or after Fulgrim was found, but there are other references of the Emperor's Children bearing the Palatine Aquila before the reunion.

Page 102, Betrayal

"The Emperor's Children were the only Legion to bear the Emperor's own name and his own standard - the great Palatine Aquila - granted to them by his own hand."

Pg 104-105, Betrayal

"On hearing of Fulgrim's words the Emperor renamed the IIIrd Legion the Emperor's Children, ratifying a name long known but now given full force of decree."

Hope this settles it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the 750+ names and the almost complete freedom of paint schemes is just super amazing.

think about it....you can call them anything you think sounds cool/sinister/whatever

and you have any look you want. I see the XXth as the ultimate custom army.  

Archived