Ultramar's Photo Album

INKS

Ryld: I'm really digging your army. I like seeing all of those matching marines in one spot--they just look smashing together. Do you mind if I ask a couple of questions?

1) Why are the shoulderpads so shiny?

2) Why do the bases of your squad commanders all look like they're pure mud when the rest of your army seems to have grass on them (this is at least true for the majority of squad leaders in the front row).

Thanks for the kind words. The shoulder pads are shiny because I use a decal product called micro set and micro satin. I use micro set to soften the decal when it is first applied. This works really great on the chapter symbol, allows it to fit the shoulder pad better, then I use micro satin after the decal is dry to protect it. I have found decals get worn out after years of abuse.

The bases aren't quite finished. There are a few transfers to apply, and a couple of bases to flock with static grass. The tournament is next weekend, so a few days yet. :(

Where you able to get Micro Set?

Hobby Craft? And other hobby places I guess?

Greart models btw

Loving your Drop Pod!

Thanks.

I got the micro set from a local hobby shop, but the product is made by microscale industries. Have a look under their finishing product on their web site.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a whole lotta models there Crazy.

I dig the shields on your command squad. It seems a really basic idea, but I've never seen it (or thought of it) until now:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/maddog7558/65.jpg

What did you use for the emblem on the top of this rhino?

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/maddog7558/GetAttachmentCA3KPF2T.jpg

And just what is this monstrosity? Is this some sort of pseudo-Baal predator conversion?

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/maddog7558/08.jpg

Lastly, I don't suppose you have a decent army shot tucked away somewhere, do you? I couldn't find one in that album. Keep up the great work.

The only possible complaint on those would be there aren't enough of them. More more more!

My thoughts exactly. Excellent work Sir Clausel, especially on the terminators. The models are well painted, the powerfists and bases are fantastic.

Edited by Ryld

Finally had time to take over lounge table to present my army ready for a few pics

Here is the first of a few more to come

This one is of my company all laid out

(Basically all my marines in one place)

As there are a few men/vehicles that are not exactly Ultramarines

Such as the right hand side Land Riader, at the back, and the squad of 5 Adeptus Arbites from Necromunda if I remember rightly

And my Emperor's champion and his 'body guard'

But they still look good

Anyway, enough talking

Here is the pic

gallery_34095_2098_82637.jpg

More to come within next few days of close up's of squads and main characters

Mad Rob

Lookin good from what I can see, but maybe try backing away from the models a bit to get them in focus. If we get clearer pictures we can probably offer better advice.

FYI Commander Y is one of the best painters on the Bolter & Chainsword. He won a Golden Demon with the Blood Raven Librarian that you have as your avatar IIRC.

Here are the rest of my pictures I have finally uploaded

Silly thing wouldn't upload for a while

Dunno why

But hey

Here they are...

Calgar on his thrown

gallery_34095_2294_59746.jpg

Skullz Standard Bearer

gallery_34095_2294_28418.jpg

Classic Land Raider - Paint not not mine though

gallery_34095_2294_435852.jpg

Captain Sicarius - First paint job

gallery_34095_2294_224475.jpg

Classic Chaplin with jump pack

gallery_34095_2098_311809.jpg

Full army as of present

gallery_34095_2098_82637.jpg

Here is my latest paint job.

The base is not yet done - What do you guys think about the red psychic hood and the red cabling and the red inside the gauntlet.. I tried to do something that links the open hand to the model but not over doing it with too a bright colour...

I am not sure about it... I am happy with the yellow and the blending...

gallery_27112_1347_18827.jpg

Side shot with the Book...

gallery_27112_1347_17916.jpg

The yellow robes are excellent for sure. Good detail work on the books. Mostly a very well done miniature.

The red cabling is okay with me, I guess. Not totally reminiscent of freshly butchered intestines. If I didn't know that they were cables, would I think those cables are okay? I don't know.

The red hood... makes me think of badly painted red hair more than anything else, unfortunately. It's too red and not very tech-y for my tastes.

The red gauntlet... makes me think the Librarian escaped the Crimson Fists chapter & joined the Ultras.

The rest of the Termie Librarian is excellent, though... Hence the harshness of my criticisms.

What would you like to know mate? There is alot on that model - Practice and patience are very important. I do bits at a time.. maybe an hour or two here and there. I cant sit down and just do it. I get bored.

Have you had a look in my gallery? (link in my signature)

That model took about 25 hours to do... Its a centre piece model so I put a bit more effort in... I still have not done the base...

Thanks Guys for the C+C -

I agree with you - I wasnt sure on how to paint those parts. I did all the red black orginally but it looked bland and the face didnt grab attention like I wanted it too (the books drew it) So I went with red - It does what I want it to do but like you have said - it doesnt really suit the model.. Should I change it and for what colour? I would pefer a brighter colour but not too bright as to keep focus on the face area - you cant really see it in the pic but the blue big casing around his head is a brighter blue than the rest fo the model - its only subtle but it helps

Edited by Brother Tual

Cool paint job Seahawk! I like the lightning coming from the eyes look.

Personally I like the new Tigurius a lot more than my old Tigurius(way more impressive), but really I think the paint job can make or break the model. My new Tigurius has a Hellfire glow in his eyes and the eyes of the staff's skull. Makes it look like he's casting something. (Hood Of Hellfire....made it seem appropriate)

Thanks Guys for the C+C -

I agree with you - I wasnt sure on how to paint those parts. I did all the red black orginally but it looked bland and the face didnt grab attention like I wanted it too (the books drew it) So I went with red - It does what I want it to do but like you have said - it doesnt really suit the model.. Should I change it and for what colour? I would pefer a brighter colour but not too bright as to keep focus on the face area - you cant really see it in the pic but the blue big casing around his head is a brighter blue than the rest fo the model - its only subtle but it helps

My issue with light colors around the face is that some colors will just disappear/make the head look bigger, and I'm guessing most people have that experience. A blended yellow tone, off-white, or something like that could simply make the head look fat... but I also see how black might not be that useful around the face.

Insignium Astartes has the hood & face-surrounding stuff in Blue. I don't know if that's being lazy or "how the Codex says it should be". The slightly lighter blue could be extended into that area that is currently red, and nobody (except a Punk/Emo) would mistake the blue for hair.

You might also do the same with a Green color. A purple tone might also work, I guess... it's close to blue. Orange might be too hair-like.

Of course, my gut instinct would be to do it like Seahawk did with his Tigurius... a metalic paint job on the tech-ish bits in there.

You are probably right White Radish..

I have to paint up a pair of raiders in a week - not easy - for me anyway.. one is almost done -

anyway - In two weeks time - or there abouts - I will take some photo's on flash and some close ups like Seahawk's nice model.. I might chuck in a few pics of my landraiders (although they wont have the free hand work on them that I wanted to do - I simply dont have time)

I did his base too - Its a simple ruin scene - no dead bodies on it - built up alittle bit but mostly a dark greyish tone with some touches of dark (midnight) blue - Looks OK me thinks - a bit of snow aswell -

Thanks for your imput. see what happens in a few weeks.. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the 10th, scout,, comp[any had no shoulder trim

But liking the look

Do like the marine on far left in the picture

With the pouches on his shoulder pad

I have never thought of putting them on there before

Your idea of a strike force, sounds like a deathwatch kill team

But with only marines of the same chapter, and not marines taken from numerous chapters

Mad Rob