The Host of Kor Gahal - a Word Bearers project. I'm back. ;)

Hi guys - long time, no posting. I've been busy with music, various other hobby projects (flirting with Warmachine on and off for a year - not really getting into it), and life in general.

In the past few months I've been doing a joint effort project with one of my buddies from my Bitter Old Painters blog, doing some Mechanicus. Along the line, I discovered that I'm ready to paint red again - I actually enjoy it! Combine this with my old love of the Word Bearers Legion - being the evilest, vilest, fanatical followers of Chaos there is, and having just read 3-4 Word Bearer novels, I got a sudden urge to finally do a project - a Word Bearers host.

It will consist mainly of units that I find interesting, and trying to avoid using any units (helbrute excepted) from my Death Guard army, and using units I find fascinating in the fluff. I think it'll be a fun army to play. :)

I've already begun work on the Coryphaeus, which will be a possessed terminator lord, an idea I've been toying with a long time, and the Land Raider, which is a very ambitious project, basically an Altar with tracks.

Pics to follow very soon - for now, here is the army list. :)

WB-list.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. :)

I've gotten a few shots today - first of my test paint scheme model - it is in no way done, it was mainly done to test the red; I quite like the way that it is dark, while still pops - very high contrast, and much cleaner than my usual dirty painting style. This army will not be quick to paint, but that's fine by me. My only concern is if it should be more crimson than red?

test1.jpg

A single shot of the Land Raider altar - not an original idea by any stretch, but I like the concept.

LR1.jpg

There will also be some recycling from a previous project, which needs an explanation;

As some of you may remember, I built an entire (and painted a few models)  Dark Mechanicus army about 2 years ago - however, they've been laying very still for almost as long, and I haven't been inspired to paint them - mostly because I spent much of the summer vacation of 2013 playing them. However, I got to the conclusion that an army with so much armour, simply doesn't make for a fun or balanced game. Sad but true. 40k rules just don't balance out in this regard. Every game I had, went one of two ways - either I curbstomped my opponent, because he didn't bring enough high power firepower to handle so much armour, or it went the other way - my opponent walked all over me, having tooled to meet my list, and bringing melta and multimelta galore.

Conclusion - while a cool concept, an all armour list just doesn't make for fun games.

So I decided to resurrect some of the models - the forgefiend, which I particularly like (though it will need to be stripped):

forgebeast5.jpg

(at the moment it looks like this:)

ff1.jpg

One of my Helbrutes:

helbrute4_1.jpg

... As well as my Hell Wheel bikes:

heretekunit.jpg

Holy.

The paint scheme on that test model is superb; perfect for the Word Bearers. I can't wait to see how the rest of your infantry and the Helbrute turn out. :p Now I want to pick one up myself.

Lovely work GuitaRasmus...

That's an excellent red you've pulled out for the Word Bearer. And I second Pearson73's comment about the faces.

Finally, those armour conversions are AWESOME! I might need to steal... uhm... several of them :D

One question about the WB... was there a reason you went for the gold trim on his armour? He looks phenomenal as is, but he might be confused with a World Eater. This will be especially true once he's surrounded by 20 - 30 of his closest friends.

Granted though, I'm aware that that is a fluff/personal choice kinda question, so I totally get if that's just the way you prefer your Word Bearers.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

Widowmaker

Thanks for the kind comments. :) I'm messing about with the possessed Terminator Lord (Coryphaeus), hopefully some progress pics tomorrow.

Lovely work GuitaRasmus...

That's an excellent red you've pulled out for the Word Bearer. And I second Pearson73's comment about the faces.

Finally, those armour conversions are AWESOME! I might need to steal... uhm... several of them biggrin.png

One question about the WB... was there a reason you went for the gold trim on his armour? He looks phenomenal as is, but he might be confused with a World Eater. This will be especially true once he's surrounded by 20 - 30 of his closest friends.

Granted though, I'm aware that that is a fluff/personal choice kinda question, so I totally get if that's just the way you prefer your Word Bearers.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

Widowmaker

Thanks! Actually, it IS Ironbreaker (gun metal) - I just washed it twice with Agrax Earthshade to get a corroded iron sort-of-look - it may be a bit too much, it was just an experiment. They won't have gold trims, that's for sure. :)

Thanks! Actually, it IS Ironbreaker (gun metal) - I just washed it twice with Agrax Earthshade to get a corroded iron sort-of-look - it may be a bit too much, it was just an experiment. They won't have gold trims, that's for sure. :)

Hah! It's probably just the color balance on my screen.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

Widowmaker

You're living my dream. I can't wait to make a LR shrine like that... must finish my Blood Angels... must stick to my task...

What's your red recipe? It looks amazing. Also, totally fantastic work on the vehicles and daemon engines. That's a wonderful helbrute.

Archived