What ships do inquisitors use?

I know that they can requisition any imperial forces, but in general, what do inquisitors use as there personal ships to get from point A to point B, when on there own? I would imagine it would be strike cruisers, but I am uncertain.

Anything they want. There's no such thing as "in general" when it comes to Inquisitors. Grandiose Monodominant types might have an Emperor-class battleship and its supporting fleet permanently attached to their forces. More discreet Inquisitors might simply book passage on a civilian transport. Eisenhorn often made use of a Rogue Trader. The most radical Inquisitors may not even limit themselves to Imperial options - Czevak being an obvious example.

The famous Inquisitors - Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Vail - all used whatever ships were available rather than having their own personal ship. That said, Ravenor tended to keep a rogue trader on retainer, while Eisenhorn often came back to the same rogue trader when he needed guaranteed reliability.

Its not glamorous, but most Inquisitors are hitch-hikers.

It's important to keep in mind how ludicrously expensive and administratively intensive operating an Imperial Navy vessel would be. Inquisitors are free floating investigators and trouble shooters and generally remain focused on their tasks and remits lest their peers begin to think they aspire to repeat Vandire's heresies. Coteaz is a special character because he's the exception, not the rule.

Eisenhorn often made use of a Rogue Trader. 

It's going to sound pedantic to point it out but, as far as I can recall Maxilla wasn't a Rogue Trader - he was just an eccentric merchant captain. I don't remember a writ being mentioned. There's a chance I could be wrong seeing as it's been a few years since I last read the Eisenhorn books - I just felt like it needed to be mentioned.

My budding idea for an inquisitor has him using a loaned Astartes frigate as a black ship, though this is due to his close ties with the chapter and a sororitas order[/

A chapter would give an Inquisitor a ride maybe even second a ship to him for an extended period.

Archived