Skitarii and Mechanicum HARD DATA review

Seathal

I played a game on saturday against Eldar Light (no wraith stuff, only two D scythes, still lots of psykers) and lost by one point (or tied if I counted first blood before or not)

Some things: My haywire and generally rolls to wounds were awful. I had two squads in rapid fire range against a wave serpeant turn 1 and it only barely died because of failed jink rolls. I wish we could re-roll wounds too, but that is just me.

Dont overextend when the opponent has almost everything coming in from reserve on a 2+. I had guys across the table turn 1 and when turn 2 came around my backfield was swarming with eldar and I had no way of fighting that. maybe keep some guys back a little to deal with things threatening your Onagers.

Skryerskull is almost mandatory for me, sadly. you mile may very.

You do realize the Scryerskull does nothing for haywire, since those are not penetration rolls? You're on your own there, sadly.

Also renta-pod is no longer an option. Anyone try other options, like the Land Raider formation and just embark on turn 1?

I know, but I think I really needed it anyways when my icarius failed utterly against a D-Scythe flyer

For once I have played against AdMech, found some interesting bits. Pre Heresy Alpha Legion vs. Skitarii&Cult. My units were mainly elite, including veteran tacs with apothecaries, laser rapiers and a sniper squad, supported by landspeeders and a StormEagle (StormRaven, just aesthetically awesome). The AdMech list contained a bit of everything. 2x3 grav kataphrons, dominus, 3 shooty baymaxes, barebones vanguard and ranger squad, 2 neutron onagers, balistarii, dragoon, infiltrators, Coteaz.

Just the essentials:

-elitist marines don't fare well against that, as there are simply too many too shooty units

-choosing City Fighting (named character can do that) was the only reason I wasn't tabled. 3+ cover held most AP2/3 at bay, even the cover-reducing phosphor blasters can be survived by 4+ cover and FnP

-AV12 on onagers is still squishy. Had my opponent kept them at maximum range, I couldn't have touched them, but he didn't. So the laser rapiers (36" S9 TL Ordnance) reliably beat the crap out of them. First one lost his neutron beamer and was immobilized, second one lost all but that (2x Weapon Destroyed, both times on stubbers)

-Dominus in a challenge is impressive, but power axes still get the job done

-baymaxes may be survived, but to kill them while killing vehicles with the bigger guns is quite hard. Couldn't kill one of them, so I killed vehicles instead

-AP4 pie plates (StormEagle has 2x S5 AP4 5" blast) will go through skitarii like mad. Killed most of Coteaz' vanguard and half the rangers with a salvo each, while being mostly underwhelming otherwise

Again, the same List as last time, but against Salamanders (Drop Pods):

My 1850 point list:

Tech Priest with BS2 Snapshot Relic (Warlord)

2 x 5 E Priests

3 Plasma Servitors (with the Priest)

3 Grav Servitors

2 Phosphor Kastellans

Holy Requisitioner with

Tech Priest with Eradication Ray

4 Breacher (1 Torsion; 3 Haywire)

3 Haywire Breacher

Knights

1 Knight Lancer

We did a Agnels of Death mission, the one with 1 objective in the middle worth 5 points, and 1 VP for every unit killed. SM had everything in reserve, I had everything in reserve except the Lancer. I wanted to avoid my Servitors getting killed by Salamander flamers in an alpha strike.

Lancer did nothing, got killed turn 2, failed a turn 1 charge.

Breachers shot down the 200 point flyer in hover mode, killed an Ironclad in overwatch !!! and then locked some Vanguard in CC and killed a Marine here and there. Totaly worth it !

The Tech Priest of the Holy Requisitioner just killed some marines here and there, I think about 6 or so. Not to exciting, but still alright. He also ate a lot of fire.

Kastellans have been solid as always. 36" S6 AP3 is so amazingly good against Marines.

Destroyers are amazing as well. When they arrived turn 2, hell broke lose and they killed many many Marines.

E Priest killed some Marines and got shot afterwards. The did better then against daemons, but still, not amazed.

The HQ Tech Priest healed some Plasma Servitors (gets hot) and charged 6 Marines and killed them. Yeah... nice as always.

Did you use the Corpuscarii or the Fulgurite Priests? Against Marines, I think the Fulgurites are the better variant, especially if one doesn't have an Inquisitor to lower their toughness.

So I finally played another game with skitarii, and this time it was also against skitarii! I finally got to 1,500 points with the help of my knight (who didn't do that much honestly). 

Most importantly, I know see the light and power that is a x3 neutron onager squadron. Man... I just pointed them at something and it got deleted. I wish it had splitfire, but for the entire game they were the thing I could most count on. I think i'm going to try two squads of 2 each soon to see if I could spread the love even more.

Also, I should leave my dominus warlord in the back or in better cover rather than leaving him at the back of a squad in the middle of the open board. He and his vanguard got annihilated by the knight crusader.

I ended up losing the Maelstrom game because of incredibly poor draws and luck where it mattered (didn't blow up the last onager when I had an Afront to the Machine god, or not killing the crusader with my errant on my turn for blood and guts.)  BUT I left my opponent's skitarii army with literally only 5 guys left that I couldn't reach while I had 2 skitarii squads and my onagers.

I have to say I am loving almost every game with my skirarii compared to my marines.

Did you use the Corpuscarii or the Fulgurite Priests? Against Marines, I think the Fulgurites are the better variant, especially if one doesn't have an Inquisitor to lower their toughness.

Corpuscarii.

As I said, I had everything in reserve. They just had 1 round of shooting and then got killed. In this case, Fulgurite would have done nothing.

By I am planning to build some Fulgurites on my own. Maybe I steal your idea with the flagelants ph34r.png

Some stuff relevant to the new Skitarii/Secutarii/whatever and Mechanicum units in 40K:

This will be the first appearance of the adeptus mechanicus in an IA book, and will see several 30k mechanicum units (not all of it) added to the admech of the 41st millenium. however the automata shown are now 10,000 years old and are crazy, mad and blood thirsty. not the calm automated killing machines of the heresy.

there are two units that have been shown so far. The Hoplites and the Peltasts.
these will be resin upgrade kits to the plastic skitarii sets from GW
the Hoplites carry shields, spears and large generators on their backs, the more men in a squad the more power their generators crate, allowing them to get better saves and even shoot lightning out of their spears.
the Peltasts carry grenade launchers by default and have special ammo to allow them to act in defensive and offensive manners, including gas rounds.
the field missions for the Secturii is to assist the titan legions on the battlefield, by fighting enemies too small or close for the titans to practically shoot at. they also have the mission of recovering the titan princeps and crew when a titan falls in battle, then guarding the wreckage from the enemy, alongside simply guarding the titans encampments from intruders.
they will first see printed rules in the next imperial armour book later this year, and will then see 3ok rules at the end of the year in inferno (prospero)

Source https://www.facebook.com/Garroheresy30k/

Some stuff relevant to the new Skitarii/Secutarii/whatever and Mechanicum units in 40K:

This will be the first appearance of the adeptus mechanicus in an IA book, and will see several 30k mechanicum units (not all of it) added to the admech of the 41st millenium. however the automata shown are now 10,000 years old and are crazy, mad and blood thirsty. not the calm automated killing machines of the heresy.

there are two units that have been shown so far. The Hoplites and the Peltasts.

these will be resin upgrade kits to the plastic skitarii sets from GW

the Hoplites carry shields, spears and large generators on their backs, the more men in a squad the more power their generators crate, allowing them to get better saves and even shoot lightning out of their spears.

the Peltasts carry grenade launchers by default and have special ammo to allow them to act in defensive and offensive manners, including gas rounds.

the field missions for the Secturii is to assist the titan legions on the battlefield, by fighting enemies too small or close for the titans to practically shoot at. they also have the mission of recovering the titan princeps and crew when a titan falls in battle, then guarding the wreckage from the enemy, alongside simply guarding the titans encampments from intruders.

they will first see printed rules in the next imperial armour book later this year, and will then see 3ok rules at the end of the year in inferno (prospero)

Source https://www.facebook.com/Garroheresy30k/

Oh man I'm excited for them... they sound so fun and different than what we have... plus all those awesome tanks. I pray there is an ordo reductor list for 40k too, but that's only a dream!

I gotta start saving up.

I thought the combined ad mech and skitarii book was supposed to be coming out soon? Will this be in combination as the typical FW add on?

the new codex was rumoured Second quarter and the IA book is rumoured to be Autumn time. I'm really hoping that you can add the stuff from forge world into the gw admech stuff instead of it being a separate list (like corsairs).

• 2 weeks later...

Another 1850 game against Daemons yesterday. This time I had some Taghmata units with me as well.

I had:

1 Dominus

4 Arc Breacher

3 Plasma Destroyer

2 x 5 Vanguard with 1 Arc each

1 Dragoon

2 Neutron Onager

1 Knight Paladin with the Whirlwind Rocket Launcher (Stormspear?) on top

1 Archmagos (Ordinator; Paragon Plade; Power Fist; Abeyant; Machinator Array... 230 points or something like that...)

3 Thallax with Multi Melta and Destructor

1 Avenger Strike Fighter

After turn 3 we stopped. Daemons had more VPs at this point of the game, but nothing left that would have been dangerous. I had the Dominus, Plasma Destroyers, Neutron Onagers, the Knight and the Avenger left.

Well, the old units performed good as always.

Plasma Destroyers are pretty solid against Daemons; Neutron Onager are good against hordes as well as AVs; Dragoon is good in tying up Daemon units.

The Stormspear on the Knight is realy good when you want to get rid of Horrors that hide behind cover and summon Daemons. I did not kill all of them, but I got both of his units below 11, so he lost 2 warp charges and it got much harder for him to summon something.

And the Taghmate... well... not the best performance, which was to some degree my own fault.

The Archmagos tanked a lot of shots (Daemons had a Renegade Knight with 2 Gatlings ! ), but a Tech Priest could have done the same. Because of his Ordinator rule, he could have launched an orbital strike with D3 Large Blasts S8 Armourbane. But I completely forgot about that unsure.png . He is a real Tank with T6, 4 wounds, 2+, 4++ and IWND. But at is all worth nothing when a Herald of Khorne decapitates him on turn 3. So as I said before, a Tech Priest could have tanked the shots as well for half the price.

Offence wise he had Armourbane (nice with a Power Fist) and a Paragon Blade which can cause instand death. But he died before he was able to swing.

The Thallax landed from deep strike reserve right behind a Soul Grinder and did nothing. Then 1 got killed by the Torrent Flamer, they ran away and got caught by a bunch of summoned dogs. They failed moral and bye bye. They are pretty sturdy, but with a moral of 8 every single test you need to do makes you sweat.

Also, I think they arehard to field. What is the purpose of a single shot S7 AP5 gun with Shred and Rending when only BS4 and an 18" range? It os not good to kill infantry, it is not reliable at killing AVs. You need to get close so that they might get caught in CC with their 2 attacks at WS3. I am sure they are good at something, but I need to field them more often to find out.

The Avenger arrived on turn 2, missed 1 Grinder and killed him on turn 3. That was it, so he was ok, but there hasn't been much opportunity for him to shine.

Sorry if this has already been discussed I don't wanna search through 15 pages trying to find it but has anyone ever used grey knights as allies for skitarii? I think things like sanctuary could really benefit ad mech (onagers with 3++, sicarians with 5++, etc). Plus skitarii are pretty squishy at t3 and 4+ so termies or at least strike squads could soak up a lot of firepower. Any thoughts?

Draigo could we gate to make up for the lack of transports and make sure everyone is sitting on objectives as well. It's a concept I'm seriously debating trying out in a game now.

• 3 weeks later...

I played two games yesterday after far too long away from AdMech.  It was good to be back!  Having now played against more enemies and also played as BA a handful of times, my perspective has evolved on some things.  For starters, I think I am over neutron onagers.  It has been fun punching huge holes in enemy armor, but we have better ways of doing that.  Arc breachers cost a little more but are just way more reliable, especially against targets with cover.  Also, small blast is just meh for a one shot weapon.  They should consider making it a beam attack, that would spice it up a lot.  Positioning would become extremely important.  

I used the eradication ray today against Tyranids and IG, both times it was better than I had expected it would be.  I had always avoided it because I thought positioning would be too difficult to maximize the weapon, but I think I was wrong.  It was very useful against the xenos, somewhat useful against the guard.  I'm actually looking forward to giving the heavy phosphor blaster a shot soon.  I still think it should be cheaper or fire more shots or have longer range or something, but I'm going to try it out again.

Having played a bunch of games recently as BA, I do miss their mobility playing AdMech.  I really hope they give us a transport over the summer, and something like an ironstrider but with more shots that are weaker (I'm thinking like a dakka predator).  We have lots of little dakka, and lots of big big guns, but I want something more in the middle.  I guess we will see!

I used the eradication ray today against Tyranids and IG, both times it was better than I had expected it would be.  I had always avoided it because I thought positioning would be too difficult to maximize the weapon, but I think I was wrong.  It was very useful against the xenos, somewhat useful against the guard.  I'm actually looking forward to giving the heavy phosphor blaster a shot soon.  I still think it should be cheaper or fire more shots or have longer range or something, but I'm going to try it out again.

Tried out phosphor, neutron and eradication at the same time last game (against Cult and Skitarii). Eradication was taken down soon, as the large template threatened everything beside the enemy kastelans (long range), no conclusive data on that. Neutron did its job (killing kataphron across the board), just failed to scratch the kastelan (invul + FnP). Phosphor reliably put wounds on anything, not as bad as I thought. More of them might be useful, just include a few more low-AP weapos to take full advantage of them. Just failed to scratch the kastelans (invul + FnP).

Dragoons failed me for the first time, one getting grav overkilled (instead of the neutron onager), the other failing a charge and being haywired by the enemy dominus. Well, for the points, not that much an issue. More frustrating was losing 4/5 infiltrators to kastelans in one shooting phase, as Coteaz prevented them from outflanking anywhere else on that flank.

Except for that, the usual. Only extremely frustrating part of the game was the enemy kastelan squad (3 shooty ones). Removed at least half (often more) of a unit per round, soaked up insane amounts of firepower, and any time one lost a wound, a fresh one would move forward. "Highlight" was reflecting a dominus eradication shot, killing the dominus and making his servitors flee. The grav kataphron usually seem overkill to me, but against kastelan, I don't see any other way.

Locally, we started to pull our punches when playing with AdMech against something else. Unless the opponent uses the latest broken formation/detachment/unit :cuss (or knows how to deal with AdMech), it's usually overkill to use the full potential, and makes the game pretty one-sided.

I only have around 1000 points of AdMech so far, so I haven't run into that yet (also I have never seen another person run them beyond allying in some kataphrons). Gravaphrons definitely can be overkill, but I'm entirely okay with that since anything I'm pointing them at is bound to be scary. I have yet to play with or against Kastelans, so I'm intrigued at how dangerous the shooty load out seems. I hadn't thought they would be that good, but lately I'm coming around to it. I currently am debating if my next purchase should be a set of Kastelans or a pair of dragoons.

as long as this is alive again I can share some data: played a mega game on the 100th store opening event thing against the Deathwatch MegaFormation of Super Friends (deathwatch board game characters) and though they killed 3 units with one charge, I had revenge the next turn with 2 neutron onagers nuking the squad completely, killing cassius, a librarian, a chapter master and all the guys except for the terminator. it was amazing =D

Figure its about time I make my contribution to this thread with some Hard Data of my own! Currently I have played 7 games with my Skitarii (some proxyed and with what little I have already purchased) against the following opponents:

-Eldar Bike Spam

-Orks (x2)

-Space Wolves

-Chaos Space Marines

-Fish of Fury Tau

-Tyranids

-DKoK Imperial Guard

All of the games have been played at 1500pts. and I have been using the following list:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/323143-1500pts-starting-skitarii/

For the most part the results have been overwhelmingly positive while only encountering one or two tactical issues along the way which I will discuss below. Currently I stand at 4-2-1 with this army which I am quite pleased with considering I play in a very competitive FLGS where all the dirty lists you can imagine can be found. My tactical breakdown of my units overall performances thus far:

Vanguard Squads with x3 Arc Rifles, x1 Arc Pistol and Omnispex:

​Based on some comments earlier in this thread I initially had the impression that Arc Rifles may not be worth putting on these guys due to the concern that you would be wasting the rest of the squads shots, I have found this to be not the case at all. In fact I would have to say these guys have been the 2nd best unit overall that I have fielded, yes the Arc Rifle is designed for Vehicles I'm not arguing that, however the high Strength and Rapid Fire element of the weapon has come in handy more times then I care to count. Against the Tyranids, Eldar, both Orks and both Marine players they absolutely wrecked everything they came across be it infantry, MC or vehicle. In particular against the Nidzilla list (lots of Monstrous Creatures) I was reliably putting wounds on them with the Arc Rifles instead of depending on the 6's needed from the Vanguard (also needings 2's to wound Marines was useful as well as it caused him to roll more dice for saves). Granted I can see the argument and had a few cases where smaller squads of x5 would have been more tactically flexible, should be possible to try out as my collection grows. Also tempted to drop the Alpha with the Arc pistol as the x3 Rapid Fire Arc Rifles seem to be more then enough to get the job done, due to the number of Imperial Knights/Imperial Knight players at my FLGS that will be farther down the road most likely.

Vanguard Squad with x3 Plasma Cavilers and Omnispex:

Another well performing squad in every single game but one these guys combined with the Doctrinas brought the pain and much like the Arc Rifles brought another versatile unit to my army. The players at my store are pretty well informed about every army and knew how much pain they could bring so more often then not they were the first infantry unit targeted and eliminated unfortunately, this still didn't stop them from crippling my opponents armies on several occasions, in particular against the Chaos Space Marine player. Not much to embellish on here as it is a similar review to the Arc Vanguard, however both I feel are excellent unit loadouts with this bringing the punch needed for High Armor Save opponents.

Ranger Squad with x3 Transuranic Arquebus and Omnispex:

Just like many of you on here have had a mixed bag in terms of performance with the TA's I did as well. When they hit man did they ever hit, killing a Hellhound, several Nobz with Power Klawz and the like. I really only had one bad game with them against the Tau as I never could seem to wound anything that game, and in some games (Malestrom in particular) they more often then not felt out of place with the rest of my army. They are excellent for holding backfield objectives and the like however with the rest of my forces pushing up aggressively I am seriously considering not taking any Rangers at all at this time and bringing more Vanguard to push up the table.

Sydonian Dragoons:

The best unit I had in every single game hands down no question and man do I love these guys! Not once did I ever Scout with them and thanks to their movement and Phosphor Serpentas there were a couple games where I got a first turn charge off! Even in the games I lost (Tau and Space Wolves) these guys still shined inflicting horrendous casualties or keeping me in Malestrom Games by taking objectives, in particular I really pissed off the Tau player (much to my quiet enjoyment :D.)​ It also helps that I had really really REALLY good rolling with them in every single game wether it be for charging, cover saves or close combat attacks. They are one of my favorite units in the entire Codex (they are tied with Vanguard as I cant decide which I like more) and I probably will have x2 units of 6 before I'm done collecting.

Onager Dunecrawlers with Neutron Lasers, Cognis Maniple and Dual Cognis Stubbers:

Another great unit that always performed well in every game I played when it actually had a chance to do something. For the most part I was able to handle most of my opponents Armor with ease but what actually surprised me was their effectiveness at dealing with infantry, Stubbers especially if taken in pairs are no joke and can do pretty well at dealing with Swarms. The Cognis Manipulater upgrade though a little pricey did come in handy a couple of times, not so much in CC but definitely in regards to "It will not die". Personally think that this is one of if not the best loadouts for it when dealing with conventional ground forces.

Onager Dunecrawler with Iccarus Array, Cognis Stubber and Cognis Maniple:

For the most part this guy really only shined in 2 games that I played (Tyranids and Tau) and did okay in the others. However this was due to the fact that I came into little contact with enemy Flyers or Skimmers except for those 2 opponents. Before being knocked out against the Tau it single handily took out x2 Devilfish and a Longstrike Hammerhead while against the Nids it was able to drop both of his Flyrants.

I do have a rules question on this one, when boosting BS thanks to the Doctrinas would this boost its BS when shooting against ground targets? I did not play it that way as I don't believe it affects "Skyfire" weapons but some clarification would be nice!

Where I Feel The Army Struggles:

Again this is common knowledge but the lack of a transport really is a big achillies heel we cannot ignore especially against certain armies. In particular the Tau, really my vehicles were the only true effective units in that game as the amount of Smart Missile Spam he had just absolutely wrecked my infantry. This also goes for when playing against Gunline lists in general, against the IG player had he taken more then x1 Leman Russ I think I would have been screwed as even with 1 he did horrific damage. Here is hoping we get an APC of some kind in the FW book when it is released.

Drop Pod armies I feel are another big weakness of our army, especially when you are not taking Allies to provide you some buffer against them. The Space Wolf player took the Blackmane Formation and that many Power Armored guys all at once eventually proved to much for army to handle (despite a valiant kick ass effort from my Dragoons). Thinking an Inquisitor of some kind with Servo Skulls might be a necessary purchase in the future, especially if Space Marines get even more popular in my local meta...stupid Angels of Death Supplement.

Overall I hope my Data Entry provided at least some light and help to the overall group, FOR THE OMNISSIAH!!

I do have a rules question on this one, when boosting BS thanks to the Doctrinas would this boost its BS when shooting against ground targets? I did not play it that way as I don't believe it affects "Skyfire" weapons but some clarification would be nice!

Sure it boosts its BS. But you can have BS 100 and would still have to make snapshots against ground targets since that is the rule of "skyfire" weapons. 

Again this is common knowledge but the lack of a transport really is a big achillies heel we cannot ignore especially against certain armies

I've played ~20 games with my Ad Mech force and I have to say that our lack of transports isn't all that crippling. Skitarii and Cult are designed to be taken as allies. Because Skitarii are fast but very squishy and Cult is slow but hits like a ton of bricks. Relying only on Skitarii can work of course but as you have experienced: Your basic troops will be wiped off the table if they are not camping in 4+ cover. And yes, the Inquisition is a very good ally as they have access to transports and provide cheap HQ units.

Glad you enjoy the holy force of the Omnissiah. ^^ Thank you for your participation in our collective battle data library.

Drop Pod armies I feel are another big weakness of our army, especially when you are not taking Allies to provide you some buffer against them. The Space Wolf player took the Blackmane Formation and that many Power Armored guys all at once eventually proved to much for army to handle (despite a valiant kick ass effort from my Dragoons). Thinking an Inquisitor of some kind with Servo Skulls might be a necessary purchase in the future, especially if Space Marines get even more popular in my local meta...stupid Angels of Death Supplement.

Last time against my brothers Salamanders I hold nearly everything in reserve. I know the alpha strike can be devastating, especially with TL Melters (Vulkan) and +1S Flamers with reroll to wound.

I had only a single Knight on the table, the back of the Knight facing the table edge. It was risky, a few lucky Melta shots and he would have tabled me turn 1. But the Knight was fine and turn 2 my whole army arrived:

Grav Destroyers

Plasma Destroyers

2 x 5 E-Priests (shooty)

Kastelans

Holy Requisitioner

Everything that was to close to my table edge got killed in an instant. I killed maybe 20 Marines with the Destroyers, Kastellans and E-Priests, and big flyer with my Haywire Breachers. He also lost a Ironclad in Overwatch from the Breachers.

The rest he had on the table or in reserve did not hit hard enough to kill my sturdy Servitors (Techpriest out front) or the Robos and he was to slow to get any field controll back.

I will use this tactic more often. Another unit he will for sure NOT kill turn 1 is the Cohort Cybernetica. If he wants to kill as much Robos as possible he needs to drop down right at my table edge and he will be right in front of my Destroyers as soon as they arrive.

A little risky, if you fail your reserve rolls you are doomed though ph34r.png

When a few other projects are out of the way I plan to run some Cult/ Skits - these are the models I have:

2 Kastellan and Smith

10 Vanguard

10 Rangers

6 Kataphrons

Other mixellanous tech priest models to use as a Fulmination Lib Conclave devil.gif

I think I'll also buy the Start collecting box.

Think this would be a good base for a force?

Archived