Skitarii and Mechanicum HARD DATA review

Seathal

All it's made me realize is I need two more boxes so I can get triples of the special weapons....!

By which I mean two start collecting boxes so I can grab some Crab tanks and Dominii in the process...

Luckily thought ahead and built all three specials last night, after having a small melt down because I thought I'd already used the only Aquebus-compatible body/ legs...

In terms of Kataphron, I'm in need of some data...

For both Breachers and Destoryers, what are the best load outs? Or am I best just magnetizing EVERYTHING so I can run them as anything? The weapons are so separate it seems rather easy.

For arguments sake though, what are people running on them?

On Kastelans, whatst he ratio of Fists/ Flamers and (F)Phospher? One fist and flame for every Triple Phospher?

Arc breachers are IMO the ultimate tank hunter unit. 36" range (+6" movement) is a huge kill-any-vehicle bubble, Carl increasing the BS for a round makes one squad kill a land raider. If you don't face vehicles, the grav is the go-to. Those are still good against regular vehicles, but don't make sense against superheavies.

On a side note, played today against orks, 2500p with the Fall of Cadia mission concerning orks. Well, it ended with half the vanguard/rangers dead, and tabled orks on turn 3. Orks came into range, killed stuff (with a gorkanaut and stompa), lost a lot in return fire, charged and killed a bit, then the remains were shot to bits.

Carl was pretty boss this time, with opponents actually not runnung away from him, but the opposite. Tanked most of the stompa shooting without a scratch, got charged by the stompa and nobs. Killed a challenging nob with the mechadendrites (snake eyes on the nobs' armour), then went ahead with his servitors to haywire the remaining 6HP off the stompa. Which fell into the bulk of the ork remains, and went kaboom with a 6 on the explosion chart. Then Carl and retinue charged and killed the gorkanaut. He lost 2 HP against the gorkanaut, but regained them as fast as he lost them.

@Tykis

To each his own I guess! the only time I used cawl was in a giant apoc game where he died to an eversor assassin so My ideas are not from that much experience. on paper though I would have guessed that the dominus is more valuable than him in the cohort cybernetica.

That sounds like some terrible luck. I'd say give him another shot because he has been great for me!

All it's made me realize is I need two more boxes so I can get triples of the special weapons....!

By which I mean two start collecting boxes so I can grab some Crab tanks and Dominii in the process...

Luckily thought ahead and built all three specials last night, after having a small melt down because I thought I'd already used the only Aquebus-compatible body/ legs...

In terms of Kataphron, I'm in need of some data...

For both Breachers and Destoryers, what are the best load outs? Or am I best just magnetizing EVERYTHING so I can run them as anything? The weapons are so separate it seems rather easy.

For arguments sake though, what are people running on them?

On Kastelans, whatst he ratio of Fists/ Flamers and (F)Phospher? One fist and flame for every Triple Phospher?

For Kastelans, I only have one squad and I built both with guns. I'm thinking about a second squad, and I'm not sure if I would want to build one with fists. The guns have much more potential to hurt things (since it's a slow unit and the guns have decent range) and even without fists they're dangerous in cc. Anything they can't hurt in cc without fists they won't be able to hurt with shooting either, so offensively you'll be losing at least one Kastelans shooting just to charge with the fist. It is a better option defensively, but I just don't think I would want to sacrifice 6 s6 ap3 shots every turn just in case something av13+ or t9+ charges me.

Long story short, the guns just add way too much versatility and power for me to give one a fist right now.

For Kastelans, I only have one squad and I built both with guns. I'm thinking about a second squad, and I'm not sure if I would want to build one with fists. The guns have much more potential to hurt things (since it's a slow unit and the guns have decent range) and even without fists they're dangerous in cc. Anything they can't hurt in cc without fists they won't be able to hurt with shooting either, so offensively you'll be losing at least one Kastelans shooting just to charge with the fist. It is a better option defensively, but I just don't think I would want to sacrifice 6 s6 ap3 shots every turn just in case something av13+ or t9+ charges me.

Long story short, the guns just add way too much versatility and power for me to give one a fist right now.

True, Gun- Fists are the better option most of the time.

At the moment I have got 3 Phosphor and 1 with double fists. Next box will be another 1 full Phosphor and 1 more with double fist.

Fist seems to be fun against CC walkers (you struggle with S6 to hurt them and 1 single smash attack with WS 3 is nothing to rely on). Double fist also gives them an extra attack for second CC weapon.

I have seen a BatRep in which 2 double fist Kastellans murdered a big squad of Mega-Nobs in 1 round of combat, no wound taken in return.

Multi- wound T5 models? - I dont care!

FnP on T5 models? - I dont care!

2+ save? - I dont care

Front armour 12 or higher walker? - I dont care!

Nothing to sneeze at, especially when you can double the attacks thanks to the protocolls and reroll hits thanks to Canticles. They should easily be able to rip open a Knight if it is not able to finish them before they strike !

Phosphor is better most of the time, but I want some big bad CC robots to smash faces ! At least until Fires of Cyraxus lets me field my 3 Domitar wub.gif

Well the rules say "plasma weapons as defined by the rule book."

Which are Plasma Guns, Plasma Pistols and Plasma Cannons...

The Plasma Caliver and Culverin aren't defined sad.png

GW really need to address this. In theory there is no reason why Starcannons cannot be classed as plasma weapons, so listing Plasma Culverins and Calivers sounds likesomething that should appear in an FAQ sometime soon. In fact, having the word "plasma" or "flamer" in the weapon profiles of weapons from 8th ed onwards would clear up these sorts of debates. Treat it as a category like "blast" or "gets hot" even.

True, Gun- Fists are the better option most of the time.

At the moment I have got 3 Phosphor and 1 with double fists. Next box will be another 1 full Phosphor and 1 more with double fist.

Fist seems to be fun against CC walkers (you struggle with S6 to hurt them and 1 single smash attack with WS 3 is nothing to rely on). Double fist also gives them an extra attack for second CC weapon.

I have seen a BatRep in which 2 double fist Kastellans murdered a big squad of Mega-Nobs in 1 round of combat, no wound taken in return.

Multi- wound T5 models? - I dont care!

FnP on T5 models? - I dont care!

2+ save? - I dont care

Front armour 12 or higher walker? - I dont care!

Nothing to sneeze at, especially when you can double the attacks thanks to the protocolls and reroll hits thanks to Canticles. They should easily be able to rip open a Knight if it is not able to finish them before they strike !

Phosphor is better most of the time, but I want some big bad CC robots to smash faces ! At least until Fires of Cyraxus lets me field my 3 Domitar :wub:

Nothing you're saying is wrong, I think my meta is coloring my view. I've yet to see anything across the table they couldn't mess up without fists, except maybe a unit or two they will never catch up to. None of my regular opponents have used stuff like walkers with av12+ or anything.

Salutations fellow adept,

I've now fielded the glorious Belisarius Cawl on about four occasions now and he is truly a beast. My regular gaming group have adopted some sort of phobia of him after he minced a squad of marines in close combat. I've stuck him with a bunch of bare-boned vanguards a couple of times to give him some ablative wounds as the piston across the table. It's been decent, but they die like flies, and won't give any advantage in close-combat really.

I cannot count the amount of grav, and bolter rounds he soaked during a 3k battle against marines, and the ability to regenerate is brutal. He does the job in close combat as well, if you ram him into something but overly strong. 

Question: How to protect him the best whilst running him around the battlefield. 

A: 15-20 Hoplites. Offers plenty of extra wounds, lots of haywire (which is always fun), and a decent invul save. Also looks fantastic.

B: 10-15 Fulgurite Electro-Priest. Offers fiendish close combat utility. Will never break, and improves the Canticles. Having Cawl taking wounds while they cross might actually make the priests viable. 

I just bought a bunch of E-priests because I like the models (I know, I know...) and I want to run them with Cawl. I think it'll take people off guard and I love the idea of it. Not sure yet between Fulgurites or Corpuscarii. 

so I played against the new eldar army today (the yenari) with the dude bringing a casual list (in his oppinion) to go up against my list which he soon dubbed 'competitive'

We played the first malestrom mission at 2,000 points and I brought a grand convocation containing the following:

Grand convocation

Dominus w/ skryerskull precipitous and conversion field

enginseer w/ meltabombs

base ranger squad

base ranger squad

vanguard squad w/ 2 arc rifles

destroyers w/ grav

HS 1: x2 onagers w/ neutron lasers

HS 2: x2 onagers w/ neutron lasers

Imperial Knight Paladin

Skitarii maniple

elite 1: x10 skitarii peltasts w/ omnispex

van 1: x10 vanguard w/ omni-spex and arc rifles

van 2: x10 vanguard w/ omni-spex and arc rifles

van 3: x10 vanguard w/ omni-spex and arc rifles

he brought:

eldrad

x2 shadowseers

a farseer

x4 warlocks?

wraithguard w/ d flamers

x3 scatterbikes w/ lasers

x3 dark reapers

x3 dark eldar venoms

unit of x3 vaul's wrath batteries w/ d barrage weapons

so he had first turn and I was lucky enough to not get hit by his chain reaction soul burst attack he was planning (psykic power combined with killing servitors, vanguard and probably one squad of onagers) along with him not getting his veil of tears power on the wraithguard squad so I could actually shoot them to full effect. he also picked off the small vanguard squad and almost killed one full one before it was my turn.

unit analysis:

Rangers: they held the main objectives in my back field, with one squad proving vital in absorbing fire towards the end (they went to ground in a bastion for a 4+, and I made almost every save for them) they didn't do any damage besides pot-shotting a biker but held the objectives well.

arc vanguard: Surprisingly only two squads got wiped out this game, which is a first for me. They worked really well too, and I finally was able to shoot at full strength for most of the game. van1's arc rifles managed to blow up a venom and killed 3 dark reapers inside before they slaughtered the rest of them the next turn w/ 12 wounds in one round. van 1 spent the rest of the game holding objective 4 near the imperial knight. Van2 actually did the deathblow on eldrad and the last wraith guard, and turn 2 managed to kill a warbike and warlock squad... which triggered a soul burst action with the D artillery that had them immediately slaughter van2. Van 3 got destroyed down to 3 guys after turn 1 and did diddly besides provide my opponent the assassination card. Overall I am very happy with them, as they provided so much firepower and killed quite a bit throughout the game.

Dominus and Servitors: Servitors got pretty much annihilated by a bunch of combined fire turn one, with only 1 remaining with the dominus. the servitor did manage to kill 3 wraithguard however with the dominus the shadowseer I think, so they did well! he did get killed the next turn, leaving the dominus all alone. The dominus then proceeded to kill one biker and healed a hullpoint on an onager before just staying alive the rest of the game... which was more than eldrad did! rolleyesclean.gif

Knight Paladin: He didn't get into close combat once, but he did provide the longest range in the game! turn 1 both his shots scattered 12" after targeting the wraithguard, so he managed to kill one scatterbike, turn 2 he took a hullpoint off a venom on the other side of the board and made it snapshoot, turn 3 he destroyed it and turn 4 he killed some dark reapers. he was the scariest unit on the board, and he survived for a full game intact. I didn't get him close enough to really do anything though, as the vaul's wrath battery would probably have killed him instantly.

Neutron onagers: HS1 and HS2 didn't wow me all too much this game. HS1 killed 3 wraithguard turn 1 and threatened the rest of the board but didn't do much else that I can remember. HS1 could have killed 6 of them but of course they rolled 3 one's and missed half their potential... good thing I had backup fire! HS2 managed to insta-gib a venom with their neutron lasers due to lack of targets, cracking it open before their untimely demise thanks to another dark reaper squad and the D battery blasting them to hell and back. They were good as I said, but not amazing. POTMS did allow them to split fire though, so their guns were not wasted and shot some bikers to kill one.

Peltasts: these guys did well! through the non nerfed sheer weight of fire they managed to slaughter a dark reaper squad and a bike squad/warlock before capturing and holding the midfield objective for the rest of the game. Even with almost half the squad missing by turn 2 they still did well and hurt quite a bit. still a must take, and I would hazard to say they would still be good even after forge world brings them down to heresy levels.

Overall game comments: Veil of tears is probably the most pain in the arse eldar power I have seen in a long long time. forcing you to turn your range from 72" to 2d6 times 2 inches? that is just disgusting. My opponent used it on his D artillery battery to create a sort of 24" bubble of a stand off, with my side unable to even really target the D cannons because to even get it with two sixes I would have to get within range of 3 strD barrage weapons and that was not going to go well for me. So, spent every turn from 3 onwards backing up to one side of the long table edge while he took the other side and we had a stare-down for the rest of the game. it was only through lucky malestrom cards that I was able to win by one point.

Soulburst is also a major, major buff to the already powerful eldar. taking an out of turn shot during my turn because I destroyed a unit? it was sickening the amount of damage the wraith guard could have done turn one had he not failed a power or two he needed.

Admech victory, 11 points to 10

All Hail the Hollow Forge!

Took the Grand Convocation to an ITC tournament on Saturday (gotta keep my top ITC spot as long as possible) and places first. This is what I took. I made it with as an all-comers list but with a slight bent on what I had to offer when faced with a Gladius.

Grand Convocation:

Cawl

Dominus

~ Conversion Field ~ Mortispex

Dominus x2

~ Stasis Field

Dunecrawler (3) x2

~ Neutron Laser x2 ~ Eradication Ray x1  ~ Extra Stubber x3

Dunecrawler

~ Icarus Array

Vanguard (10) x4

~ Arc Rifle x3

Destroyers (6)

~ Grav

By far the most difficult was my first matchup against a Smurf Gladius. No, he did not have Robot Girlyman. Had a total of 11 drop pods, 8 with basic tac squads, 2 with devastators, 1 with an assault squad. Pretty much every special weapon he could have was a melta except for the grav amp. Also had a Landspeeder, a unit of bikes and a Librarian Conclave. This one put my army to the test having so much in my face so quick. The entire game was very close. My saving grace was the PotMS allowing the Dunerawlers to split fire and the Arc Rifles. In the end, I won by a lot of points but only because of a hail mary kill to shoot him off an objective. Game ended 15 to 5.

Next game was against Black Legion and Demon summoning. At the end of my turn two he conceded giving me max points since he only had his flying demon prince left.

The last game was definitely interesting. I got to test out how much firepower I could actually dish out if focused on one unit. My opponent was an Orc player that is quite good. He brought a Stompa and loaded it out with a 4+ invuln and repair grots. My opponent told me if I could kill it turn one he would concede and give max points to me so naturally I had to try to accommodate. I shot everything I have except the eradication beamers at the thing but came up short. Got it down to 5 HP, which he repairs up to 7 on his turn. Next turn things went basically the same, got it down to 2, which he repaired up to 4. Then the made the mistake of assaulting Cawl and friends. That was the end of the Stompa. Luckily the D explosion did not take Cawl with him. That game also ended in max points for me and 0 for my opponent. 

All in all, I have to say I love this Grand Convocation detachment more than any other detachment. PotMS was absolutely the best thing about the list in each game. From exploding Defilers and removing summoned units to exploding 4 drop pods in one turn, I certainly would take it over scout or obsec. With firepower like this that can split fire, the only time I see Obsec being a problem is with super fast units like eldar bikes. Any other time, I have no doubt I can wipe out any units that might get close enough to an objective to be a threat.

The Grav on the Destroyers generally serves me well since it is so versatile but in the event, I would have been better off with Breachers. I think next time I will try 4 Breachers and another unit of Vanguard w/Arc Rifles instead. I like the Grav mostly for dealing with Riptide Wings and Stormsurges, especially when Cawl is taking but the Breachers will be much better against super-heavies. If I had the Breachers, I might have killed that stompa sooner. And more MSU with another unit of Vanguard will make life a little easier against Gladius. Breachers with skyfire would be quite effective as well, allowing me to replace the Icarus.

I am interested to know how this list is going to preform against an all knight list. The battle cannons, Gattling, and Thermal will each mulch a unit of VG a turn so it will be interesting.

Another thought I had was adding Coteaz since Obsec would fix a potential problem and Divination is pure Gold for Skitarii.

BTW, does anybody know what faction a Grand Convocation counts as? I was forced to choose a faction for the ITC rankings and chose Skitarii since most of the army points are spent on Skitarii but as far as I can tell, Grand Convocation has no faction affiliation. Even the standard warlord trait reroll does not list a specific codex trait table like most (all?) do. It just says you can reroll.

I'm really torn on the whole "vanguard with arc rifles" thing.

Surely it's totally misaligned with their normal weapon, which is designed to murder things with T. Or does it just make them the ultimate generalists?

Coteaz is an idea I had too, you get some tasty obj sec and super-interceptor. Basically making the list immune to pods. But can you just pop him in the Grand convocation?

Surely it's totally misaligned with their normal weapon, which is designed to murder things with T. Or does it just make them the ultimate generalists?

it turns them into genralists and gives them extra str6 shots against targets, so it's not too missaligned. it means that you will never have a unit of vanguard be useless for a turn if something is in your weapon range.

@Dawnstrider: how was the lack of scout? was it painful to lose it or did it not matter?

I see. I forget they are S6... Pretty good.

Just to clear my own head out, as it's S6, when shot at AV12 and below, does that mean each shot has a chance to remove two HP, one from armour penetration and the other from the Haywire rule.

I did not even miss scout one bit. One opponent brought the fight to me with drop pods. Partly thanks to the increased range of the Arc Rifles, the VG were still useful even when outside their 18" range, just meant firing at a different target. The only thing scout could have helped me with is getting linebreaker. I did not even come close my first game and the other two it was immaterial. Other than that, I don't see any use I would have had for it.

No Charlo, the Haywire roll replaces the normal armor pen roll so 1 HP max.

Coteaz is an idea I had too, you get some tasty obj sec and super-interceptor. Basically making the list immune to pods. But can you just pop him in the Grand convocation?

This. I really dislike using arc rifles with vanguards. Min squads of rangers with omnispex and two arc rifles for me. Then just as many vanilla vanguard as possible. Their base guns do nothing to vehicles and are wasted on them. They want to be firing at infantry or monstrous creatures, where granted S6 helps, but their base guns are actually better against T7 statistically and pretty much identical against T6. 

This is because 3 shots vs 2 rapid fire, with 5+ or 4+ to wound T7/6  VS 6+ to wound against the same toughness, but with double wounds inflicted, so effectively poison 5+ for anything above T3. 50% more shots means 50% better than AR vs T7 and the same vs T6. 

The rad saturation rule and 3 shots when at T3 or less is much better than ARs again- so ARs are only good with vanguard against the T4/5 niche- commonly occupied by 3+ saves... so AP5 will not help regardless- best off not to be paying 24 pts per model for that.

For me, having dedicated MSUs of cover reducing haywire rangers is perfect. Move through Cover means they can square in on the enemy better through cover than vanguard can. S4 guns means they can chip away at AV10, and precision shots helps take out characters while the S6 pummels away too, if you end up aiming at nonvehicles.

Shooting range wise- having the bulk of your points in a squad being in rage before your special weapon is important IMO. using 18'' range vanguards to haul a measly 3 shots of haywire at a critical vehicle is :cussty when you're pulling your vanguard away from where they want to be for the rest of their guns in the future, potentially.

This. I really dislike using arc rifles with vanguards. Min squads of rangers with omnispex and two arc rifles for me. Then just as many vanilla vanguard as possible. Their base guns do nothing to vehicles and are wasted on them. They want to be firing at infantry or monstrous creatures, where granted S6 helps, but their base guns are actually better against T7 statistically and pretty much identical against T6.

This is because 3 shots vs 2 rapid fire, with 5+ or 4+ to wound T7/6 VS 6+ to wound against the same toughness, but with double wounds inflicted, so effectively poison 5+ for anything above T3. 50% more shots means 50% better than AR vs T7 and the same vs T6.

The rad saturation rule and 3 shots when at T3 or less is much better than ARs again- so ARs are only good with vanguard against the T4/5 niche- commonly occupied by 3+ saves... so AP5 will not help regardless- best off not to be paying 24 pts per model for that.

For me, having dedicated MSUs of cover reducing haywire rangers is perfect. Move through Cover means they can square in on the enemy better through cover than vanguard can. S4 guns means they can chip away at AV10, and precision shots helps take out characters while the S6 pummels away too, if you end up aiming at nonvehicles.

Shooting range wise- having the bulk of your points in a squad being in rage before your special weapon is important IMO. using 18'' range vanguards to haul a measly 3 shots of haywire at a critical vehicle is :cussty when you're pulling your vanguard away from where they want to be for the rest of their guns in the future, potentially.

I definitely prefer arc on vanguard to rangers for the simple reason that I don't like rangers. They just don't perform and they cost more. People talk about using them for camping objectives and shooting from afar, but I honestly prefer vanguard for that (since they're way more dangerous when charged and odds are they'll get charged). Also, if they're camping backfield they aren't useful at wrecking vehicles. Since my vanguard are always up front, they are always in range of some vehicles. Sure, you lose the rest of the squads shooting, but at least their shooting is worth something sometimes. And since I always have tons of vanguard I have yet to find myself wishing I had one or two more radium shots at the MCs on the board. And while vanguard can hurt MCs, they just don't have a good output against them, so if that's your worry, bring some gravaphrons.

Simply put, the arc rifles don't have synergy with either unit, so that isn't a compelling argument. And vanguard guns are good for a cheap troop gun, but they aren't so good that upgrading them is a bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I have some 1850 games come up at the end of the months, with a bit of luck I'll have stuff painted to run some Ad Mech (with Custodes to make up the extra points maybe...)

Here are my models, what sort of list can I make from these?

Cawl

Techpriest (could be a Dominus/ Enginseer how I base him)

6 Kataphron (loudouts to be glued)

10 Skitarii Vanguard (1 of each special, Taser & Radium Pistol)

2 Kastelan & Datasmith

+ 6 Custodes (3 Spears, 3 Sword & Board.... Probably will build one Vexilla)

No objections to buying more either, was heavily considering a Start Collecting Box anyhow.

Lists will be mid-strength, so expect some powerful opposition - but nothing tournament grade filth/ nob WAAC lists.

Archived