Task Force 18 - Death Dealers WIP

Really, the wings and fuselage aren't too bad. Protip: DON'T GLUE THE WINGS ON. They will actually slot very nicely into the fuselage, especially after priming, so you can make your life 1000x easier by leaving them detachable (for transport).

Also, don't be afraid to convert a Vendetta if you want one. I was intimidated by this at first until I looked up a few tutorials online; it's surprisingly easy with some bit scrounging/trading if you have the patience! happy.png

Really, the wings and fuselage aren't too bad.  Protip:  DON'T GLUE THE WINGS ON.  They will actually slot very nicely into the fuselage, especially after priming, so you can make your life 1000x easier by leaving them detachable (for transport).

GAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS!!!!!

My next flier will be a Vendetta, probably in a couple of weeks or so. I'm planning on using these http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=229 for the wing lascannons and then the lascannons that come with the Valkyrie for the hull-mounted ones; one on each side. I hadn't thought about not glueing the wings on, that's a great tip. When I put that one together though, I won't be messing around with the interior, I'll just glue the canopy on when I build it and paint it.

Just got a present today, a number of packages came early! This includes all of the heads, legs, and special weapons from Anvil Industries and a set of etched brass from Forgeworld. Combined with what I got from the Warstore last week, I can now begin to put together my infantry.

Scion WIP 1

First up is my test Scion:

Scion WIP 2

Scion WIP 3

Scion WIP 4

Scion WIP 5

As stated above, the heads and legs are from the Republic Grenadiers from anvil, the torsos are from the dreamforge eisenkern stormtroopers, the eagle is etched brass from Forgeworld (to make it look a little more imperial) and the arms and backpack are from the GW scion kit. Overall I'm pretty happy with the finished look, the anvil stuff is a little smaller than the regular scions but are gorgeous casts with almost no flash and crisp detail. The torsos are right on scion scale but have a little trouble fitting on the legs due to the slight scale difference and the pouches and pistol that extend up from the legs. The neck hole is a little deep so I might need to get a bit creative with putting them on. Looking forward to finishing the squad though, should look great!

Just finished the squad to include the tempestor and 2 plasma guns. The plasma guns are the anvil industry ion rifles, I think they look cooler and sleeker than normal plasma guns and I will do some OSL that should make it pretty clear on the battlefield exactly what they represent. Producing the squad was a pain and took forever (it also looks like the scions were designed to deliberately frustrate people trying to kitbash) and it's no where near perfect but hopefully some judicious painting will cover any blemishes.

Scion WIP 6

Scion Plasma WIP 1

Scion Plasma WIP 2

Tempestor WIP 1

And finally, a look at my commander using arms from the scion box:

Commander WIP

I agree the kit seems to be designed to stop kit bashing. Bit like the Bullgryn/Ogryn kit. They are more and more making the kits so you end up with a carbon copy.

I used some scion bits on guardsmen, to come up with some carapace vets, and it was a pain to convert them shaving the shoulder joints down, shaving down the nub on the neck so they didn't look stupid. It was a pain in the butt. I will never do that again. 

I wanted my Company HQ to wear carapace armor, so I kitbashed them with Cadian heads/arms and Scions torsos. It took much longer than I predicted. 2/10 would not convert again. dry.png

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the first scion this morning, the Tempestor. He's also the test mini for the rest of my infantry.

Scion Sergeant Final 4

Scion Sergeant Final 3

Scion Sergeant Final 2

Scion Sergeant Final 1

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with him. I think the lenses all came out really well and the blue wash on the armor and the black wash on the cloth came out fantastic, it's the first time I've really used them and I'm very pleased with the results. What do you guys think? Any suggestions or advice you can give me? I'm going to be moving to Virginia and starting a new job in the next few days but hopefully I'll be able to knock out the rest of this vow in time to begin a new one by the deadline.

shaving down the nub on the neck so they didn't look stupid. It was a pain in the butt.

I found it easier using a dremel and increasing the recess in the torso. Much quicker :)

shaving down the nub on the neck so they didn't look stupid. It was a pain in the butt.

I found it easier using a dremel and increasing the recess in the torso. Much quicker smile.png

Well, mine came out ok, but still I don't really want to do it again. I think I'll just keep buying Kasrkin...

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY finished moving into the new place. Between two consecutive weekends of moving and the first week of work, the time to dedicate to painting has been scarce and, until this evening, I had no computer with which to upload images of what I had done. Fortunately, that has been rectified with the help of U-Haul and the fine craftsmanship of IKEA.

I finished four scions a few days ago:

Scion Group 1

Scion Group 3

Scion Group 2

The last image is to show off the base detail - not because I have any exceptional skill in modelling and painting such but more to demonstrate the little scenery bits that Anvil Industries includes on every set of legs. The more I work with their stuff, the more I enjoy it, I can't recommend them highly enough.

I am also hard at work on my plasma dudes:

Scion Plasma 1

Scion Plasma 2

The intent is to paint the weapons with OSL to make it easy for opponents to pick out what they are and who is holding them as they are not GW. The white is the base of that process, the remaining "glow" will be the last thing painted on these models.

And finally, after a lot of thinking and probably far too much research, I settled on the Taurus APC from Puppets War as my "counts-as" Chimere because I have never liked the way the Chimera looked and I want a slightly more refined feel for my army than what you normally get with IG. The package arrived the other day from Poland loaded with stamps which is the first time in years I've seen a package use stamps instead of a print out lol.

Taurus 1

Taurus 2

I got two of them, one is fitted together and the other is in its component pieces for you to get a better sense of how it works and they will have both the turret and the hull-mounted weapons from the Chimera added to them for WYSIWYG. I must say though, while they look good and have a solid feel to them, the models are lower quality than GW, Anvil, and Dreamforge (I just realized that my army is going to be made up of components from 4 different manufacturers - 5 if you count Forgeworld. Why did I do that to myself?) with small bits here and there miscast, some pretty heavy flash in areas, and not a very solid fit between the components which I'm guessing will probably require a hot water bath and a bit of reshaping before I can glue it together. Does anyone have any advice on working with large resin models besides doing it in a well-ventilated area?

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to finish my current vow in time to pledge another one within the next 24 hours or so so I believe my first ETL experience will conclude in the next week or so.

Coming along nicely :) For resin, patience is always the key. If you're careful when cutting and bending then it'll be ok - rush and you risk damage. Best to do reshaping in stages if it's a fairly big warp, leaving it in a good position to properly harden again in the right shape is very important too.

Always wash your resin in lukewarm water with soap!  Gotta remove the casting material or paint/glue won't set right.  Also, stick to sanding.  Avoid cutting or bending resin (unless it's been warmed first) since it tends to snap off and shatter easily.  Get eye protection and a mask when sanding/drilling, and you should be fine.

I'm surprised you didn't go for Eisenkern APCs since you're using Dreamforge stuff anyway.  Those are absolutely BRILLIANT models.

Thanks for the advice! I did as suggested and I think it turned out ok, just need to figure out the best way to mount the Chimera turret onto the resin brick vehicle.

I've briefly halted painting and focused on building the rest of my army so I can start getting some games in, the first to be held this afternoon hopefully. In the meantime, group pictures!

Army WIP Group Shot 1

Army WIP Group Shot 2

Plasma squad with transport

Army WIP Group Shot 3

Melta squad with transport

Army WIP Group Shot 4

Command Squad and fire support squad

Army WIP Group Shot 5

Scion squad

Army WIP Group Shot 6

And the painted Wyvrn, the other one only having been base coated. Don't worry though, it and the scions will be finished in time for ETL though!

This constitutes 1000 points and I have no idea how it will perform, having never really seen a list like this here or on any other forums, I am of the opinion that it will either be very competitive or somewhat of a flop. It should be a fun list to play either way though! All of the special weapons took a lot of time to model and most of the torsos and arms arm from the Cadians I had purchased to support my Grey Knights back in 4th edition. I need to finish 'decorating' the models and transports with the etched brass and random other bits but after I will be able to focus on painting them, I hope to have the entire group painted by the end of August. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments, I'm pretty proud of how this turned out.

Great work, now you've just got to paint them :P I already know they're going to look great on the table, as they've got a great theme and colour scheme so it might seem a lot of work now but it'll all be worth it :D Keep us updated on your progress Gunmonkey :tu:

Archived