Datasheet Discussion: Space Marine Command Tanks

Jolemai

bl.php?text=Datasheet%20Discussion:%20Space%20Marine%20Command%20Tanks&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Each entry within our Codex is known as a Datasheet. However, there are a number of Datasheets found outside the Codex for the Blood Angels to use but to date, there is little discussion into their use and synergy with our forces. The aim of this article is to 1) share and impart our collective knowledge to our fellow captains and 2) to get some discussion going on the lesser-known potential boons to our forces. I want this thread to remain in flux and will happily edit the first post as people reply with their own ideas so we can get the optimal use out of each unit.

Further discussion guides can be found from post #6 onwards on the BA resource thread.

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Availability

sml_gallery_62972_10948_428619.jpg
Rhino Primaris

Currently, the Space Marine Command Tank boxset is only available as a Warhammer World exclusive. However, a re-direct has been found on the GW website, so they may well appear on there in due course. Alternatively, the rules can be googled... ph34r.png

Space Marine HQ Command Tanks:

gallery_79873_10492_5796.png

Conversion opportunities for the Rhino Primaris would be using your Damocles Command Tank and fitting a hatch gunner with two plasma guns or a Ravenwing plasma talon. For the Land Raider Excelsior, replace the Twin-linked heavy bolters with a grav cannon and grav amp, and add some bling and a "nipple" torso out of the top. Both may well benefit from options on the command sprue. An unboxing review can be found here.
sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Rules

General

• Both tanks comprise one HQ choice
  • Both tanks have to be purchased together, but otherwise operate independent of each other

Rhino Primaris

• Same stats as a Codex Rhino - Overcharged Engines is currently unknown
  • Twin-linked plasma gun, searchlight, smoke launchers
  • Transport capacity of six, no fire points, Access Points as per a Codex Rhino
  • Options to take: storm bolter, hunter-killer missile, extra armour, dozer blade
  • Orbital Array (From turn two onwards you can perform an Orbital Alpha Strike [infinite", STR 10, AP 1, Ordnance, Barrage, 7" Blast, One use only, Orbital {scatter full 2D6 in direction of arrow}] or Coordinate Reserves [unit is Reserves will automatically arrive without a Reserves Roll])
  • Servo-skull Hub (A unit within 12" at the start of the Shooting Phase can get one of the following once per game buffs: Targeting Data Skull [snap Shots and Overwatch at full BS until next turn], Repair Skull [On a D6 roll of 2 or more, the targeted vehicle gains one lost HP], or Vox Skull [Target becomes Fearless until next turn])

Land Raider Excelsior

• Same stats as a Codex Land Raider
  • Grav cannon, two twin-linked lascannon sponsons, searchlight, smoke launchers,
  • Aquila Aegis Field (6++, ignore Crew Shaken and Crew Stunned damage table results), Grav-amp (re-roll to To Wound/Armour Penetration roll when using the grav cannon)
  • Transport Capacity, Fire Points and Access Points as per a Codex Land Raider
  • Options to take: storm bolter, hunter-killer missile, extra armour, Rod of Command (increases range of Tactical Authority to 18"), combi-plasma
  • Assault Vehicle, Power of the Machine Spirit, Data Augurs (+1 BS if within 24" of one or more Rhino Primaris'), Tactical Authority (Friendly Faction BA model within 12" receives one of the following until next turn: Counter-attack, Fearless, Hit & Run, Interceptor, Preferred Enemy, Skyfire, Split Fire, Tank Hunters

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Use

sml_gallery_62972_10948_401656.jpg
Land Raider Excelsior

Both tanks have to be purchased together and are considered to be one HQ slot on our FOC.

First off, you want to keep both tanks within 12" at all times. In a sense, the Land Raider "Tanks" for the Rhino and yes, opponents will try to take out the Rhino first. So there's a need for redundancy and a mechanised force will benefit well from these. If using the Land Raider offensively (i.e by taking advantage of the Assault Ramp), things like Preferred Enemy and Hit and Run become very interesting. As a support tank, giving a Predator/Land Speeder Squadron or even bikes Skyfire or Tank Hunter can potentially become really nasty. In defense, Interceptor on a unit of Devastators has potential too. These buffs can be augmented to 18" with an upgrade, but that really depends on the Tank's usage.

The Rhino Primaris plays similar to a Damocles. However, this one can transport six models so perhaps a Techmarine and Servitor Entourage can be of use for keeping it alive. In addition to firing a single 7" Blast Orbital Barrage, we have a one-use buff to throw about. Each one is a support/defensive buff but can combo up quite nicely with the Excelsior. For example, giving Counter Attack and Fearless/full BS Overwatch to a unit about to receive a charge is a great deterrent. As for the repair skull this can a) be used to repair a friendly (read non-BA battle brother) vehicle or even a Flyer on a 2+. Or failing that, a Super-heavy or a Titan... Or, you can use the full BS Snap Shots skull to knock a Flyer out of the Sky with, say, Sternguard or a bike Squad, or to take down an Invisible unit. Finally, if you don't fire the Orbital Barrage you can bring a unit in reserve on automatically. This is huge when you have something like a Fire Raptor sat in reserves.

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Summary

There you have it; one quick review on the new tank units. As we use these models and generate more experience, please reply below with further comments so I can update the thread. Keeping the thread in flux is the best option as it keeps everything fresh.

As always, I eagerly await your thoughts. As for what they look like in red:

gallery_79873_10492_12223.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_21044.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_21090.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_932.jpg

So need to get these. Hopefully it won't take to long for them to go up on the GW site.

As for the rules, without a points value it is a little hard to determine. With those abilities I would consider 400-550 to be where it sits. 

The lower end would make it ideal, and with a little build around this would be awesome fun. The higher end would still be fine just lees options for the rest of the list.

I think they are cool, though I like Land Raiders so a bit biased. The only thing is the look too 'Ultramariney" with those doors. Change those and all sweet.

The rules are amazing but I think we struggle to utilise them as BA. We are generally a fast army that uses our mobility as a main strength. These tanks aren't fast like our others and, as stated, without redundancy will be THE fire magnets of the game and vulnerable to alpha strike.

6++ should be 5++ in reality, Daemons get it so a relic LR should be more than capable!

They could support a firebase and the LR can potentially afford to roll up with the troops and carry a decent combat unit inside (vets and a priest come to mind) but I'd always keep the Rhino out of sight sending off buffs and repairs. Although, imagine the raider with a techy inside and the Rhino nearby, basically 2 free hull points for a turn back!

Hit and Run seems the obvious choice for us. Really help those DC out!

• 3 months later...

Thread updated.

Following the interest in these from earlier this week, I've updated the guide/review to the latest format and tidied it up. Also, I'm considering adding an image to all the unit entries from now on, so it's being trialed here.

As always, let me know if I've missed anything; if you have anything you want to add and of course, your experiences with using the tanks.

If I were to buy these, it's between them and a Sicaran as they compete in terms of cost :P

I really like the rules though and I think could work wonders. Would love to see a quadruple orbital bombardment list with these, a damocles, chapter master and inquisitor.

If I were to buy these, it's between them and a Sicaran as they compete in terms of cost :P

I really like the rules though and I think could work wonders. Would love to see a quadruple orbital bombardment list with these, a damocles, chapter master and inquisitor.

Aren't they about double the cost of a Sicaran? Or did you mean pounds rather than points?

Think the special rules are great but the units are average indeed. Best use I can see is a mech heavy list in support of a pred squad or the like. For me they take away from storm ravens points budget, one of our strenghts.

Great article thanks Jolemai!

• 1 year later...

So. I had a work trip to Nottingham and stopped by WHW and picked these babies up.

Any new synergies with angels blade?

Giving hit and run to dreads?

Grant interceptor to a predator (squadron) with the excelsior and add snapshots at normal BS from the rhino to take down fliers?

I think the uses are probably too myriad to use - it certainly really plays into the feel of Marines being flexible and able to counter anything.

The fact its a ~400pt HQ choice that cannot be taken as a part of an AB means that you're going to need to bring some scouts and a pod (assuming FTSF) to use it with one, which is already a crazy amount of points.

....Though typing this I guess you mean the book in general and maybe not the specific detachment. It's weird they aren't in there actually, as they were in a few of the formations from Angels of Death I believe.

Looking at it, the Rhino can cause one unit to come on from reserves without rolling. Oh hey OIF/ Golden Host - welcome to the party.

Pop it into the Lost Brotherhood and it gives you some great firepower and a really nice assault Transport. Plus you can pop in a techmarine from the Lucifer formation to give it scout to keep up with the speed of everything. MASSIVE shame you can't take it as a part of the Lucifer really! You'll be in a nice poisiton to give out all those tasty special rules (Counter-Attack, Fearless, Hit & Run, Interceptor, Preferred Enemy, Skyfire, Split Fire, or Tank Hunter), Hit & Run on DC sounds lovely.

All good ideas! I'd thought of the techie in the tank, but unsure if he confers scout to a non dedicated transport?

The auto reserve is nice and guarantees a raven (squadron) T2.

I'm pretty excited by the grav cannon ok a tank (the only tank to have one?) And between twin las bs5 and thr grav amp think it can take down an enemy tank per turn.

Adding skyfire to dakka dreads would be nice.

10 scouts inside the raider seems like fun. Furious charge and preferred enemy work well. Cheap too.

The real question... Can the LR give itself tank hunter? Probably not... But a BS5 Grav Cannon +Amp an 2 TL-LC with Tank Hunter is solid as hell.

I suppose you could hilariously give it to the Rhino's Orbital Strike, meanwhile the Rhino repairs lost hull points along with a Techmarine who sits inside with some mindless pals.

Skyfire is awesome to have - especially on something like Autolas Preds.

Love the point about a Raven Squadron - or even better - that 3 Raven formation. For much bigger games you guarantee them arriving, though I suppose a comms relay or Damocles (whatever is a re-roll) probably ensures that anyway.

Ahhh, genius. Preferred enemy or tank hunter on the rhino primaris for the orbital strike!

I wish this thing was a dedicated transport for a captain, like the fluff says. Then I could add a techmarine for scout.

Looks like a triple las predator is next on my list for pref. Enemy/ tank hunter goodness.

I'm looking to cheese it up in small games with these guys. These, scouts, pod, cassor could be the base of something.

• 5 months later...

Update log:

I should add that this came with 7th edition rules. I have been led to believe that when the 8th edition hits, this box will contain updated rules (and apparently, if I have a word with customer services I can get my hands on a copy to update this for 8th, but we'll see).

Yes, I'm hoping they get some decent rules. The 7th ones are ok, but nothing super special for a LR that can still be one shotted. With LR's becoming theoretically more survivable, these should get more milage. 

If the rumoured character rules are true (cannot shoot a character that's within 12" of another unit unless they are the nearest target) , and they make this a character, that would be hilarious.

I honestly didn't know we had something like Tank commanders for a very long time. Everybody knows about the AM Tank commander and some even know about the Tau one that's not even a real commander....but how many do actually know that SM have some as well? :D

I honestly didn't know we had something like Tank commanders for a very long time. Everybody knows about the AM Tank commander and some even know about the Tau one that's not even a real commander....but how many do actually know that SM have some as well? biggrin.png

Well, those who read my updates in the BA Resources do ;)

(Time permitting, I will try and get it more up to date once the 8th edition hits...)

Archived