== Martian Death Ray Club ==

Culverin are dangerous. Best range, 4 shots a piece plus deflagarate. See ref: depth charge dead spartan/anthrawes librarian heavy squad combo

Give them IF Rules (or Siege Breaker) for Tank Hunters and anything Av12 and below is going to have a bad time - add in the Above Libby Combo for malediction and you can re-roll for more Rends!

Edited by Slipstreams

Sure..if you get lucky with your psychic powers and have 550 odd points spare!

I usually play at 3-5k So in my case, I sure do :p

With the heavy slots being so hotly contended, do you find them worthwhile compared to other options for those slots?

My most contested slot is Elites. I usually have 1-2 Heavy Support slots open. The stuff I'd bring for HS can usually be taken as a Dedicated Transport Anyways (Land Raiders) and HS is usually Deredeo + Sicaran and/or Achilles so I can usually fit a Culverin Squad in. The only time HS is full is when I'm playing 4k+ and need to shove in as many points dense units as possible. Namely that 300 Point Brick o' love known as the Achilles especially since it can take a serious beating and keep going.

But...but...Spartans....!

Basically my current units look like the following:

Khan

2 x 15 tacos exchange bolters for axe in a Spartan and apoth each

5 x butchers in landy

Venator

Adding in the following:

2 x kheres contemptors

10 x plasma support squad in rhino

And I have access to a sicaran from my wolves for friendly games

So obviously with the Spartans and sicarans my heavys are very competitive however I won't nesercerily run all of them all of the time so was thinking the culverin for a bit of variety

That being said if I did want to run close to the whole lot, I could quite easily fit in another support squad. Being a close combat WE armour, the Spartans are kind of a big deal.

Are the calives worth a looking in my situation being a kind of middle ground? I figure if I'm running contemptors that have that fire range covered but open to adding in calivers

The Advantage I have is the Spartan usually being a Dedicated as are most of the Vehicles I bring in my lists.

Calivers are in a weird place. They're Heavy 2 and 30" so vs a Charger, your trading Mobility for Added Range but, the Culverin does that better having 2 more shots and 15" extra.

To me, they're the "poor mans" culverin. HS slots full? Take Calivers.

Yes I realise, I just meant there's no need for a transport I take it

Eh, you could give them a Rhino and use it as LoS blocking if needed.

I'm here to claim two kills with my Terror Squad and their love for choom!

First was a game saturday where they killed my opponent's Forgelord (HQ):

​Those fools in the Atramentar had barely even slowed the IVth's command squad and that brute waving around his servo arm before being hacked apart; the least they could have done was kill the remainder of his bodyguard. Regardless of their incompetence, the prize was now ours for the taking, though that bastard Sevetar wanted it for himself; that line about 'duty' wasn't fooling anyone. Still, if we didn't hurry he'd have beaten us to it; as we rounded the corner of the ruined predator we saw the Forgelord tinkering away on one servos or another while his bodyguard advanced without him, perhaps the 1st Company was useful for something after all. "Volkites set to maximum", ordered Headsman Sathad. The prize was ours.

The second was a game sunday where the same squad killed my opponent's drop sentinels (Elites):

We had timed our attack well, those cowering mortals would be at the mercy of the night for another three hours; more than enough time to break them. Our initial strike had already sent them reeling; our own squad had already destroyed one of their flimsy scout walkers, sending the rest limping away, and we could hear the unique screams of humans being crushed together by graviton pulses. However, the mortals hadn't seemed to have have fully appreciated their fate as the walkers continued to harass us with heavy bolter fire, the rounds wasted on our heavy mkIII plate. "Stop toying with them and secure your objective", came the First Captain's voice across the vox ,"we have another wave of enemy aircraft closing in on our position". His message was interrupted by Torun incinerating another walker, the death ray igniting it's fuel reserves causing it to explode in a burst of flame and shrapnel, killing the pilot of the last walker and igniting more of their comrades lurking in the marsh. The objectives didn't matter; fear was its own reward.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

So Guys, I have a 1500 pt list here, Which legion would this best suit? (SoH, IW or IF) I was thinking the Tactical Support squads use mk2 armour (As they've had both their weaponry and armour a long time) mk4 for the vets, and mk3 for the Heavy support. What do you guys think?

Maximum Choom (1495pts)

• HQ (140pts)
    • Legion Praetor (140pts)

Artificer Armour, Combat Shield, Thunder Hammer, Volkite Charger

• Master of the Legion

Pride of the Legion

• Troops (1015pts)
    • Legion Tactical Support Squad (225pts)

Legion Sergeant, 9x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Calivers

• Legion Tactical Support Squad (225pts)

Legion Sergeant, 9x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Calivers

• Legion Tactical Support Squad (165pts)

Legion Sergeant, 6x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Calivers

• Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (200pts)

Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 4x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Outflank, Volkite Charger, 3x Volkite Serpenta

• Legion Veteran Sergeant

Power Weapon, Volkite Serpenta

• Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (200pts)

Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 4x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Outflank, Volkite Charger, 3x Volkite Serpenta

• Legion Veteran Sergeant

Power Weapon, Volkite Serpenta

• Heavy Support (340pts)
    • Legion Heavy Support Squad (340pts)

9x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Culverin

• Legion Sergeant

Augury Scanner

Edited by Altis

(A quick WIP. Couple Contemptor Plasma Cannons arrived yesterday, along with a second Styrix. And double apologies, but A] weather in Louisville has been terrible the past month or so, so the picture is bad even after Photoshop adjustments and B] I just couldn't resist the 'lore' once I had some chopping and gluing done...)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

The Ratling king bellowed for his weapon and turned towards the armored giant. “For that arrogance, I shall see you dead.”

As he strode towards Cam’bell, a flash of light and a thrumming sound like their lasrifles, though deeper, more ominous, accompanied the king’s sword exploding into shards. All eyes turned to the armored warrior.

“Yeah. Alright, you Primative Abhumans, listen up! See these?” he said, raising his handless arms above his head, the tip of the left one showing a fading yellow-orange glow and vaporous haze. “These… are my CHOOMSTICKS! Contemptor Pattern Volkite Culverins. Mars’ top of the line. You can find these in the Legiones Astartes Armoury. That’s right, these sweet babies were made by the Forges of Mars. Costs about a hundred and nine lives. They’ve got ceramite casings, void forged steel, and hair triggers. That’s right. Buy far. Buy Mars. YOU GOT THAT?”

The Ratling host shuddered, each nodding their agreement…

gallery_80588_10579_741395.jpg

Contemptor Plasma Cannon with Jetbike Volkite.

Now that that's done, let's hope the weather improves so Mr. Ancient Grenn there can get the rest of his paint job.

How could you guys forget about the Volkite Incinerator? This chest mounted weapon for the Ursarax is currently the only Volkite weapon that can also bring the choom in close combat. It has the same range as the Volkite serpenta but twice the choom and in close combat can be used to make a blast attack at Str 6, AP 2 with instant death!

While a fair point, I give you, I do briefly mention the weapon under the Serpenta entry in the OP. Regardless, welcome to the club, brother - and if you intend to stay, why not grab yourself one of the nice shiny badges to put in your sig? :D