== Martian Death Ray Club ==

The Choom Contemptor is some serious anti-horde stuff and can put a good dent in MEQ units, too, with it's strength of 6 and four re-rollable shots per arm. It's not built to deal with vehicles (or other walkers) so you'll need to fill that niche elsewhere, though.

Ta. Hopefully when the First Legion list comes out there'll be plenty of volkite.

I will weep with joy when we are able to swap bolters on tactical marines for volkite Chargers and calivers. By Bligh, let it be so....

*fades into dream land making choom noises*

Soon in FW's next book:"The Unification Wars XV: Reconquest of Sol"

Ohhhhh yeah. Talk dirty to me. Whisper sweet choom into my ear.

The Choom Contemptor is some serious anti-horde stuff and can put a good dent in MEQ units, too, with it's strength of 6 and four re-rollable shots per arm. It's not built to deal with vehicles (or other walkers) so you'll need to fill that niche elsewhere, though.

I definitely need something anti armor, but the choom is so sexay!

In light of this comment earlier today:

Actually, I think such a proposition can be realistic - our current rules (LACAL) can easily be turned into what I'd call 'LAECAL' (Legiones Astartes Early Crusade Army List): Exploring options like swapping all bolt weapons for their Volkite counterparts (at cost), limitations on the number of Terminator suits you can use (probably none at all), no Thunderhawks, no Primarchs, etc, etc.

This can be done either with the Rite of War system, or created as a separate mini-list.

With a view to represent an early crusade, pre-primarch army, I have compiled this:

CONCEPT

Rite of War: Sol Crusader

Effects

- Any unit armed by default with bolt weapons in the usual LACAL entries may replace them, like for like, with volkite contemporaries listed as such for free:

• Bolt Pistol = Volkite Serpenta
  • Bolt Gun = Volkite Charger
  • Heavy Bolter = Volkite Culverin
Unit options remain otherwise unchanged.

- The army may use 0-2 relics, instead of the usual 0-1. Both relics may be given to a single non-unique Independant Character if the player so chooses.

Limitations

- You may not take units wearing terminator armour. The option in any unit entry to take terminator armour should be ignored.

- You may not take a Fortification allied detachment.

- You may not take any Primarch Lord of War unit.

Addendum:

- This rite of war may not be taken by any Shattered Legion character.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I must admit, I did struggle a little bit to add in a second advantage, so if anyone has any better/more characterful alternatives, I'm all ears. So, anyway, what does the club think?

Edited by Olis

Relics are now 0-2 instead of 0-1 each? :) to be the more widespread use of freshly recovered tech.

Maybe something abour a terran brotherhood rule letting more free allied and bonuses in combat with each other or morale, obviously discounting Salamanders and other Legions were kept back from the others. Although they'd still have some friends.

Malcador dedicated transports?

Edited by Charlo

It light of this comment earlier today:

Actually, I think such a proposition can be realistic - our current rules (LACAL) can easily be turned into what I'd call 'LAECAL' (Legiones Astartes Early Crusade Army List): Exploring options like swapping all bolt weapons for their Volkite counterparts (at cost), limitations on the number of Terminator suits you can use (probably none at all), no Thunderhawks, no Primarchs, etc, etc.

This can be done either with the Rite of War system, or created as a separate mini-list.

With a view to represent an early crusade, pre-primarch army, I have compiled this:

CONCEPT

Rite of War: Sol Crusader

Effects

- Any unit armed by default with bolt weapons in the usual LACAL entries may replace them, like for like, with volkite contemporaries listed as such for free:

• Bolt Pistol = Volkite Serpenta
  • Bolt Gun = Volkite Charger
  • Heavy Bolter = Volkite Culverin
Unit options remain otherwise unchanged.

- All models with the Legiones Astartes special rule gets Preferred Enemy (Xenos).

Limitations

- You may not take units wearing terminator armour. The option in any unit entry to take terminator armour should be ignored.

- You may not take a Fortification allied detachment.

- You may not take any Primarch Lord of War unit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I must admit, I did struggle a little bit to add in a second advantage, so if anyone has any better/more characterful alternatives, I'm all ears. So, anyway, what does the club think?

I like it so far, yet I think we should make a separate thread for it? :) just to keep this thread on choom centric ideas.

Relics are now 0-2 instead of 0-1 each? :smile.: to be the more widespread use of freshly recovered tech.

This option sounds halfway decent. It would certainly produce potentially lethal ICs.

I like it so far, yet I think we should make a separate thread for it? :smile.: just to keep this thread on choom centric ideas.

I dunno, I thought the concept was choom-centric. ^_^

Probably introduce master of the legion praetors as well, stronger than normal praetors but not quite as strong as primarchs.

And probably a leadership based bonus, to represent the strong command structures and all terran legions ?

Just built my 2000 point list and I have this so far;

Sevatar

chaplain- Volkite serpenta

Chaplain- Volkite serpenta

3 apothecaries- with combi melta

5 Cataphactrii Terminators- with 4 sets of lightning claws and one Heavy Flamer chainfist combo

7 Terror Squad 5 Volkite 1 Flamer headsman with nostramin glaive

7 Terror Squad 5 Volkite 1 Flamer headsman with nostramin glaive

7 Terror Squad 5 Volkite 1 Flamer headsman with Lightning claw

Siciran Venerator.

So I managed without listing all upgrades to get 17 volkites in as a basic list and no bolters mwahahaha

First of all, CHOOM sounds much better than PEW PEW.

That being said, where does the idea come from that the martian death ray weapons make that kind of sound? I always thought they made a sound like a lightning strike or a high voltage switch engaging

Edited by Quixus

That being said, where does the idea come from that the martian death ray weapons make that kind of sound? I always thought they made a sound like a lightning strike or a high voltage switch engaging

I am going to have to take care answering that question, mainly to avoid inflating my ego. ;)

It slightly feels odd to say so but I'm the one who coined the onomatopoeia 'Choom' - surprisingly, only back in May this year. That, I believe is the first instance I said the word on the boards and where other people began to pick it up. At the time I had toyed with the idea of how a Volkite would sound (albeit fleetingly) and had, quite early on I must stress, ruled out 'Pew Pew Pew'. It just did not sound right at all for a weapon that could burn enemies to ash. Obviously, it wasn't long after that that I made a 'Choom' sound and it just kinda sounded right to me.

But where did that noise come from? Where did I get it? Up until a few weeks ago, I had no idea. Now, I think I may know the inspiration. It lies in the laser noises Reapers make in Mass Effect 3. You can hear them quite early on in the game. Alas, sourcing a file from the internet to illustrate this exact noise has eluded me so far. Suffice it to say that this is probably where the sub-concious inspiration for the 'correct' noise came from. To me, uttering 'choom' and hearing that inspiration-sound seems like an obvious connection now, after the fact. But at the time, all I did was make the sound with my mouth and it just fitted in with the idea of how a Volkite weapon sounded.  

50s sci-fi I blame. War of the Worlds and stuff like that or Mars Attacks!

It lies in the laser noises Reapers make in Mass Effect 3. You can hear them quite early on in the game. Alas, sourcing a file from the internet to illustrate this exact noise has eluded me so far.

Is it the sound starting at 00:24 and repeated throughout the music of Leaving Earth?

No, I'm afraid not. Those are what I think of as Reaper "warhorns". I distinctly recall the laser sounds occurring at regular intervals on that allied (Taurian?) moon early on. 

Edited by Olis