== Martian Death Ray Club ==

:censored:

I had a whole long response typed out, but my Wi-Fi signal went out.

Anyways, here's my (slightly) revised profile for the Volkite Ballista ('tanks, depthcharge!)

Volkite Ballista

Range 36" S 7 AP 4 Heavy 6, Deflegrate, Haywire

Please, give your feedback to the Feedback God. He needs it. :tongue.:

No means to rain on any parades, but 6 shots with haywire is insane @_@

It means you can kill a spartan a turn.

It would make it better than the Glaive at stripping Hull Points :x

So... we've had about four hours and we've already created our first OP unit. Result! :lol:

Do you think dropping the number of attacks would be worth it, or shall we just drop Haywire?

So... we've had about four hours and we've already created our first OP unit. Result! :laugh.:

Do you think dropping the number of attacks would be worth it, or shall we just drop Haywire?

Drop haywire and make it a Gauss/Arc/Tesla-like Instead? So auto-glancing a vehicle on a 6? Its already S7 so it can threaten anything not Av14 and it has higher volume of fire than its other two guns.

Drop haywire and make it a Gauss/Arc/Tesla-like Instead? So auto-glancing a vehicle on a 6? Its already S7 so it can threaten anything not Av14 and it has higher volume of fire than its other two guns.

Definitely not Tesla. That would make the weapon ridiculously good at wiping out hordes, even more so than before. We'd be swapping a bona fide AA monster into an anti-horde monster instead. Not a big fan of the Gauss rule either. It doesn't really fit, imo. Arc, however, makes the process messy. By inflicting two extra S5 AP- hits for every six rolled, it'll get in the way of the consequences of Deflagrate.

Maybe use Lance? That'd make it a genuine threat to the big birds of the sky and heavy armour alike.

Definitely not Tesla. That would make the weapon ridiculously good at wiping out hordes, even more so than before. We'd be swapping a bona fide AA monster into an anti-horde monster instead. Not a big fan of the Gauss rule either. It doesn't really fit, imo. Arc, however, makes the process messy. By inflicting two extra S5 AP- hits for every six rolled, it'll get in the way of the consequences of Deflagrate.

Maybe use Lance? That'd make it a genuine threat to the big birds of the sky and heavy armour alike.

Lance or Ordnance?

OK. How 'bout duel profiles? I'm thinking something like this:

Volkite Ballista

Standard

Range 32" S 7 AP 4 Heavy 6, Deflegrate, Lance

Overload (once per game)

Range 100" S 10 AP 1 Ordnance , Deflegrate, Haywire, Lance

And jack up the price to 55 points

Edited by The Psycho

So I heard this was where you posted your volkites? Chooooom!

http://imageshack.com/a/img913/904/Dxwsar.jpg

How are people dealing with the "heavy" stat on these babies? I find it quite difficult to get good value out of them...might be because of my local meta too though...

So I heard this was where you posted your volkites? Chooooom!

How are people dealing with the "heavy" stat on these babies? I find it quite difficult to get good value out of them...might be because of my local meta too though...

My thinking (I haven't tested this yet) is to run them up closer on turn one, ideally into some kind of cover in an area the enemy is most likely to advance on you. A 30'' should result in something getting in range before too long unless you're playing long tables. 

Does depend heavily on enemy army types - most of the people I'll end up fighting will be coming to me with a handful of exceptions (even the dirty Tau love outflanking kroot and the farsight bomb - I do so want to CHOOOM some kroot hordes). If you're fighting more gunline-y types, it may prove more challenging to use them. 

Anyways, here's my (slightly) revised profile for the Volkite Ballista ('tanks, depthcharge!)

Volkite Ballista

Range 36" S 7 AP 4 Heavy 6, Deflegrate, Haywire

Looks alright to me. I think the range will need to be double checked against it's official cousins but besides that, I like it. :tu:

I very much like the idea of something akin to grav amps for them.

Maybe alter profiles to be either high strength low ap single shot or more shots at standard profile and then a disperesed flamer template at low strength high ap.

Example

Volkite caliver with fusion cells (+10pts per model ontop of volkite cost)

Focused beam ; S7 Ap3 heavy(or ordinance?) 1 lance

Normal profile

Coil dump (name anyone for an emergency vent style thing) ; S5 ap5 assault 1 template blind

And also in regards to heavier version. How about something akin to the nanyte blasters large blast template after a succesful kill. No propogarion but would be a great horde mincer.

Personally, if you're 'amping' volkites, I think permanently nudging the strength up by one and the AP down by one would seem sensible, and perhaps give them a 'Gets Hot!' drawback or something.
So hows about this then

Superconducting coils (squad wide 50pts)

Give the following profiles

Focused burst : +1s -1ap ordinance (no of shots halved rounded up) lance

Standard profile of volkite

Dispersion wave : -1s Assault 1 template, torret, blind

Volkite cascade SR : each time the unit makes its attacks at the modified profile roll a d6. On a 1 the unit suffers d6 str4 ap5 hits and the wargear ceases to function. On 2-5 nothing happens. On a 6 the wargear overloads granting the following turns of attacks at +1s ontop of any other modifiers.

Available for any unit equiped solely with volkite weaponry (terminators, heavy and tac supports)

A one size fits all wargear.

Also loving the 6 haywire shots. I see me some knights that need a killin.

Edited by v6v77

CHOOM~

The combi-volkite was a suggestion of mine back during Betrayal. If it were to happen (did I not imagine seeing one already?), what profile would be best to use? Charger or Cavalier?

Another thing I will claim to notifying people about is the concept of the Sicaran volkite carronade, one which I do believe IHF is bringing to life in due course.

How do we know if membership has been approved?

There's no official vetting, brother. Just stick one of the images in your sig. ;)

Also, as ace as the volkite MDRC ribbon is, are there any plans for a CHOOM~ version?

It's possible. Wait and see.

Do we have a source of sound via the medium of YouTube or some such that can more clearly define choom? In case one were to go a bit crazy and add that sound to a sound box to play when that person pulled the trigger on a faux weapon.

I'll be honest, I haven't looked for an aural representation for 'Choom'. When I concocted the sound, it was entirely onomatopoeic - I spoke the noise to 'feel' it out.

I suppose this comes reasonably close. It's not exactly the noise I'm after but it's certainly in the ballpark. I found it after a relatively cursory search as I wrote this post. ^_^ 

Thought I´d drop by and say CHOOM. Just like all of you I love Volkite, and have made many of my local players hate/fear it with the help of these guys:

http://i.imgur.com/EPRKdVP.jpg?1

Mmmmm.... Culverins...

Anyway, on the topic of choom sounds, I think this one is quite nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50dsuoFmF8s :biggrin.:

Do we have a source of sound via the medium of YouTube or some such that can more clearly define choom? In case one were to go a bit crazy and add that sound to a sound box to play when that person pulled the trigger on a faux weapon.

If you've ever played Halo Reach, the best sound would be the one the Covenant ship lasers use when they're glassing the the planet.

It's like a charge up with a high whine and then a deafening Choom

See,a big problem for me is the Culverin seems too small for a Dreadnought, especially a Contemptor. Maybe something inbetween a Culverin and a Demi-Culverin. A... I don't know what it would be called, the rest of you can come up with something.

Deci-Culverin? Deca-Culverin?

Ohh...

I've just had a thought.

A Deredeo with volkites. Think of all the delightful CHOOOMing. Call it a twin-linked volkite cascade, or something. And give the Eddy the option to replace its heavy bolters with volkite culverins.

CHOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Emperor-damn it. Where's IHF when you want him? :laugh.:

Guess you could always use the twin-linked Volkite Cascade & Targeting Auguries from the Sicaran Lanius?

The potential to cause 12 wounds, with re-rolling to hit + wound, and pinning on top is nothing to sniff at.

Still working on painting this mofo, but I have a double serpenta moritat in the works! 

My moritat is using an older, more volatile version of the more common Mars pattern serpenta: the Phaeton-pattern Serpenta hand-cannon.

CHOOM!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shadow/40kstuff/1FEBFFD9-EBA5-4CCE-B1E4-9FC4CA774B26_zpsh6vgf0hx.jpg