Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

== Martian Death Ray Club ==

MDRC Volkite 30k

• Please log in to reply
2040 replies to this topic

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,375 posts

Having stood at a distance and having lurked through this thread since its inception, I hope if this humble offering is sufficient to get me into your cool and august club.

Without a doubt, brother.

acceptance-clipart-k3864912.jpg

Great pose on your Contemptor, btw. Dynamic. ^_^

Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,474 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons
I have a difficult decision to make...

I have 6 chargers and either I put them on tarts with LCS and a hflamer for some horde-control or on a supports quad...or a command squad...

What to do what to do...
"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pngEcJeVZz.pnggallery_48988_13169_1292.pnggallery_48988_10069_14888.pnggallery_61265_13249_83587.png

Brother Pheidias

Brother Pheidias

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,480 posts

On the Tartaros, no doubt in my mind!

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,375 posts

I'd lean that way too but I'm not sure on the effectiveness of the other options vs the Tartaros. Ah, bugger it, the Tartaros sound good anyway. :wink:

Posted Image
Posted Image

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,035 posts
  • Faction: To be decided later

Tartaros and choom, what's not to like?

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,723 posts

Tactics question for the MDRC:

Caliver Support Squads - to give them extra CCW or not? I figure if they're getting assaulted they're probably doomed anyway, but it would be a nasty surprise for a non-dedicated assault unit.

What legion?

There are some where this is a crazy good boon - like WE where they can then have Chargers and Chain Axes, or BA with the extra +1 to wound etc.

RandomMarine

RandomMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,281 posts
  • Faction: Iron Ravens
Why would you swap power axes for chain axes ? It seems silly

geordie

geordie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 205 posts
  • Faction: XVIth Legio
I think we all know where this is going. Choom on every chassis I say.
SOH8

SOH9

Edited by geordie, 22 December 2016 - 09:56 PM.

• Shaolin_Monkey, lokkorex, Olis and 3 others like this

ETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_01.jpgETL_2013_Forum_Champion_12_Honour.jpg

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,375 posts

You get some choom... and you get some choom... everybody gets some choom! biggrin.png

I must say, brother, that the predator conversion looks perfect. It works so well I am surprised there isn't a proper choom variant in the official rules... happy.png

Posted Image
Posted Image

Zujara

Zujara

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 259 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

Centurion armed with some choom, did him for the boxing day challenge:

bdc1_zpsgkf7kbtq.jpg

• librisrouge, Olis, Brother Pheidias and 2 others like this

gallery_48988_15465_10320.pnggallery_48988_15465_42927.pnggallery_48988_15465_13594.png

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,955 posts
I may copy that pic...
Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because Posted Image Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 Posted Image millenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

Formerly Wolf Lord Kieran

+++This is my Mod voice. There are many like it but this one is mine. I never wanna have to use it, so let's all be excellent to each other+++

Posted Image Posted Image

Nomus Sardauk

Nomus Sardauk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,207 posts
  • Faction: The Steel Legion

I think we all know where this is going. Choom on every chassis I say.

med_gallery_20674_11646_33962.jpg

giphy.gif

Edited by SanguiniusReborn, 26 December 2016 - 09:40 PM.

• librisrouge, helterskelter and Hellex_The_Thanatar like this

tn_gallery_4536_13905_53919.pngFbm7BxJ.jpg6ACBl6j.jpg
Formerly SanguiniusReborn, proud Creator of the Scarlet Sentinels, my 18th Century British Redcoat Chapter and the Steel Legion, my Cyberpunk-inspired Lost Legion!

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,166 posts
  • Faction: Inkspillers
We need to get some BotL in the (death ray) club

Shaolin_Monkey

Shaolin_Monkey

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 544 posts
Discussion time:
After planning it for a while and the awesome inspiration of seeing one already completed here in the thread I've gotten well under way with my Choomhammer super heavy.
Mostly I intend to use it as a Stormhammer that just looks cooler but may also dabble in some MDRC rules for it too.

All this got me thinking about whether it would be possible for a volkite to work as a blast weapon?
Thy make sense as a multiple shot laser or constant beam but I can't really make a Blast version work in my head fluff wise.
Anyone agree/disagree?

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,692 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)
Some kind of rail gun that launches a mini-volkite-turret that beams off in every direction? Think mini-tarantula-launcher?
sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,375 posts

Short of a Volkite grenade (first suggested by infyrana and then elaborated on by Twisty) that looses off a deluge of beams, an actual blast would probably (in my mind) need the Deathstar-laser tereatment - multiple minor beams focused in towards a main beam as it fires, striking a target with so much energy that they don't just deflagrate, they explode. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,035 posts

Death rays do not mesh well with circular areas of destruction IMHO. What I could see is that some volkite weapons can be "walked" across the battlefield creating an area of destruction either like the template area or like a cake slice. The latter has the  advantage of allowing you to modify the length and ange involved but you would have to introduce a new mechanic.

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,474 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

Death rays do not mesh well with circular areas of destruction IMHO.

https://youtu.be/MZWzf3h50LU?t=1m11s

Choom choom

"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pngEcJeVZz.pnggallery_48988_13169_1292.pnggallery_48988_10069_14888.pnggallery_61265_13249_83587.png

STC Logisengine

STC Logisengine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 191 posts
  • Faction: XIX Legion, Pale Nomads

I did run into the same issue when I made my Legion Flambard Special Weapons Tank (stand in for the legion stormblade).

The problem I see with going the volkite-grenade route is that it calls for a "standard" cannon or a linear massdriver, not the destinct visuals of a volkite beam-weapon.

The solution here is to invent a whole new subset of Volkite Armaments of the Teleac-pattern: weapons that, rather than projecting a focussed beam of themodynamic energy induction, creates an area-saturation effect by using partitioned beam-emitters within the weapon that crosses the multiple individual beams at the target location in a staggered sequence a few nanoseconds apart; where the intersecting forces blows out in a spherical blastwave of thermodynamic annihilation. As this mode does not create a focussed beam active for perhaps a second or two there isn't much need to shoe-horn in the Deflagrate rule as without the focussed beam, catastrophic overpenetration of the target(s) does not occur.

"Volkite Annihilators" perhaps? Then added to the existing class-size, so the battlecannon becomes the Telerac pattern volkite Demi-Culverin Annihilator, the stormhammer cannon (and similarly sized) becomes the Teleac pattern volkite Chierovile Annihilator etc, etc.

Perhaps we can think of a better name than "Annihilator" though... msn-wink.gif

Edited by STC Logisengine, 27 December 2016 - 07:10 PM.

• Shaolin_Monkey and Fenbain like this

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,035 posts

Death rays do not mesh well with circular areas of destruction IMHO.

https://youtu.be/MZWzf3h50LU?t=1m11s

Choom choom

Yeah, circular area of destruction wasn't precise. That is one option for the cake slice shape I talked about. I thought the volkite grenade would use a blast template and on top of that used multiple emitters to get that area. A device that turns a single emitter would make sense IMHO, but as a thrown object you would have the problem of orientation.

unerde

unerde

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts
Did someone order some Choom?
Completed my 2nd 3 Destructors!

gallery_92983_12693_711404.jpg

Edited by unerde, 27 December 2016 - 05:12 PM.

• Zazel, Olis, helterskelter and 1 other like this

Shaolin_Monkey

Shaolin_Monkey

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 544 posts
Awesome Destructors unerde! Ready to Choom for the Omnissiah!

I'm more and more convinced that Blast type Volkite is too complex for now. Given that does anyone have any suggestions for what kind of rules I should try to apply to the "Ashmaker" Choomhammer guns then?

The plan will to swap all the multi lasers for Culverins which is simple enough rules wise. The front Dual Battlecannon will be replaced by Dual Demi-Culverin and the top Cannon will have a shortened Carronade.

I definitely don't want to use the Carronade rules as it seems mean, and can't decide on what else to use for it. Also tending towards just a Twin Linked Demi culv up front ruleswise.

Then comes the hard part. To convince the local scene to let me play it I will first need points for it. Suggestions?

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,375 posts

Suggestions?

Use a Chieoroviles rules, maybe? :huh: 

Posted Image
Posted Image

Shaolin_Monkey

Shaolin_Monkey

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 544 posts

Suggestions?

Use a Chieoroviles rules, maybe? :huh:

That's where I'm leaning too I think. Just such a lovely looking gun I couldn't resist using it but there is no in between of the Chierovile and the Carronade.

Maybe I'll trial a few different things out and see what works. I like the suggestion above of the crossed beams creating an effective blast, that or just that it's a massive Ray could work as a small Blast template.

Volkite Cavalcade
Str 7 AP 3, Heavy 4 Blast, Deflagrate

Or maybe even using the model under the middle of the template as copping the full heat of the impact and the ash cloud spreading around them.
So Str 8, AP 3 under the middle and the rest of the blast is just Str 6, AP 4. All Deflagrate rolls are made at the lower Strength.

STC Logisengine

STC Logisengine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 191 posts
  • Faction: XIX Legion, Pale Nomads

Why change the statline at all? My suggestion was aimed at producing a fluff-reason for the blast and lack of deflagrate rule so one can keep the units original main armaments. happy.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MDRC, Volkite, 30k

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users