A Lesser Son of Greater Fathers: Dabbling in Epic

Been away from the hobby for quite a while due to real life being mental. However, there's a bunch of stuff from a way ago I haven't posted, so here's a little tester of one concept I had:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030166_zpshdrj12f1.jpg

The idea is Tartaros plate refitted with extra armour that puts it somewhere between Cataphractii and Tartaros patterns, with much less sustainable consumption of power as a result of the strain placed upon Tartaros plate without Cataphractii generators. Gamewise, it'd function as Cataphractii. I kind of like the hybridised look but most people either love it or hate it. Thoughts?

More updates to follow soon. Thanks for the comments and suggestions as ever :)

I'm digging the look with the hybrid mix. Cataphractii shoulder plates just scream 'old school' because of the artwork we used to see.

I even did an arm swap on an old termie and gave him the newer plastic cataphractii arms and shoulders and he looked good.

Hope things can settle down so we can see some more awesome minis.

Lament of the Ancient

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030142_zpsp1zokcsy.jpg

Do you remember the day we joined the Legion, brother?

I remember.

I remember fighting back-to back in the trials, as a dyas, youthful and full of pride and ambition.

I remember proving ourselves and earning the right to bear the cobalt-blue.

I remember it was my greatest honour that I did so at your side.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030144_zpsflie2hez.jpg

I remember fighting by your side for a hundred winters.

I remember the victories of a century of warfare.

And I remember the black pall of defeat.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030145_zpsh838j7cv.jpg

I remember we were inseparable, brothers bound by more than honour, by more than a code of arms and loyalty.

By blood - ours and the foe's.

I remember the day you cast me aside.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030146_zpsq8iejphk.jpg

I remember the day you earned the crest of honour - when 'battle-brother' became 'brother-captain'.

I remember shared honour and a brother's pride.

Pride that my brother was a hero of the Legion; the whispers of men didn't bother me then.

I paid no heed when men no longer called us brothers of a shared name, but 'the Greater' and 'the Lesser'.

I believed you could do no wrong.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030147_zpshb9hivly.jpg

I remember the day I fell.

I remember the howl of eldar weapons and the sound of my flesh being ripped apart.

I remember you came to me, lying in ruin amidst the fallen.

Though my sight had been taken from me, I know you were there.

I lifted my fingers to the skies and asked for mercy, begged for the Warrior's Peace as your eyes beheld my ruined form.

I know you heard me.

I know you saw my plea.

You could have allowed the Lesser to fall in battle as I was meant to do. As I was always fated to do.

You could have allowed my memory to pass into oblivion, obscured by the deeds of the Greater. And I would have welcomed that.

But you let them take my body away and steal my soul and cast it into this iron prison.

You condemned me to a cold eternity of torment and oblivion entertwined.

I remember, brother.

Do you?

Edited by Brother-Captain Arkhan

Yeah. :cuss yeah!

The leviathan looks phenomenal, bud! I am surprised that Word Bearer didn't just off himself because he is screwed! Also like the helmet you used!

Edited by Bryan Blaire
Don't violate the B&C rules by dodging the Swear Filter by replacing letters with symbols, even all the letters.

Gorgeous work, brother. Found a Leviathan I'd forgotten I picked up the other day while sorting through my things, this will serve as a great inspiration as I get down to building him. Great writing, as ever, too.

Regarding the Tartaros/Cataphractii hybrid... I honestly can't quite make up my mind whether I like it or not. It's definitely a neat design, but mentally blurring the distinction between the patterns throws me for a loop. It's... odd. But cool.

Fantastic stuff as always! The Leviathan is phenomenal, looks great in the black and blue. The Word Bearer cut in half with the blood trail is a really nice addition to the base as well.

Regarding the Hybrid Terminator, I like the idea and he looks really good. My only "negative" comment regarding him is to do with his right arm holding the combi melta, I feel like it looks a bit "off". It would look more natural if his right arm was in a more relaxed position in my opinion if that makes sense? Either way, once you've slapped some paint on him he will look great!

Can't wait until the next update.

Guys, thanks so much. Really appreciate the kind words. Hope you like what comes next too.

Gorgeous work, brother. Found a Leviathan I'd forgotten I picked up the other day while sorting through my things, this will serve as a great inspiration as I get down to building him. Great writing, as ever, too.

Regarding the Tartaros/Cataphractii hybrid... I honestly can't quite make up my mind whether I like it or not. It's definitely a neat design, but mentally blurring the distinction between the patterns throws me for a loop. It's... odd. But cool.

Cheers mate. Nice name change haha. I know, the Tartaros/Cata is a bit odd but it's grown on me a lot.

Fantastic stuff as always! The Leviathan is phenomenal, looks great in the black and blue. The Word Bearer cut in half with the blood trail is a really nice addition to the base as well.

Regarding the Hybrid Terminator, I like the idea and he looks really good. My only "negative" comment regarding him is to do with his right arm holding the combi melta, I feel like it looks a bit "off". It would look more natural if his right arm was in a more relaxed position in my opinion if that makes sense? Either way, once you've slapped some paint on him he will look great!

Can't wait until the next update.

Is everyone changing their name now? :wink: Cheers mate! Really appreciate your feedback. I take on board what you mean, I'll have a look at him again when I build the rest of his squad. A more relaxed arm pose might be better.

Before the next update proper, here's a quick teaser of something else coming set in 30k (but maybe 40k too...?)

'Makyaveli of Old Terra once said, "It is better to be feared rather than loved if one cannot be both".

I wonder if perhaps he would have recanted such an odd phrase, had he lived to see our times.

For myself, I have always found that the cultivation of fear to be quite insufficient in pursuing the martial necessities of our dark era.

It is not enough that a man should fear death; he should be wholly broken down, his humanity stripped and flensed from his spirit, inured to suffering and adversity such that he feels no more the fear of death than a knife feels the fear of rust and disuse. For just as the knife is a tool used to strip flesh from bone, so is the warrior a tool of war in his own right, and should know of no other application in his brief existence.'

-Calid Valiev, Lord Marshal Militant of [fragment missing]

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/19688390_10155156679335546_1633549088_o_zpspdsnzc7j.jpg

Edited by Brother-Captain Arkhan

As I already said in the Post Your Dread topic, that leviathan wins the internet this week! :tu:

Also, I'm not in the 'hate' camp per sé on the Cataphracti/Tartaros terminator camp, but I'm no fan. I think it loses a lot of the 40K vibe, making it far too comic-y....

It's always astonishing how much depth and gravitas you manage to imbue your models with! That Dread is really something -- and he looks great with all that black!

I kinda like the hybridised Cataphractii/Tartaros guy, but I would argue that giving him a more original helmet (and not a stock Tartaros one) would work even better for the cobbled-together look.

The Lord Militant is looking quite promising.

Keep up the excellent work! :)