A Lesser Son of Greater Fathers: Dabbling in Epic

Suzerains and Leviathan are currently on the painting table. I have to say, I am a little intimidated by them, I have a colour scheme that works perfectly in my head but it's easy to second-guess yourself as to whether it actually works on the model...

In the meantime, something I did just for fun, a Siege Breaker Consul (!) of the Imperial Fists Legion (!!) which is the first yellow model I've painted in almost 12 years (!!!). (That's enough exclamation marks - Ed.)

I mentioned this to Dosjetka a while back, and whilst nowhere near the standard he consistently produces, his boys were one of the inspirations behind deciding to try my hands at the Fists again. When I started this hobby as a youngling - before the Heresy, before Imperial Fists were popular, back when GW staffers used to tease anyone who painted yellow ("a poor man's Iron Warriors" as one staffer used to say) - my first army were the Fists. Needless to say, it felt funny to be painting one of these guys again.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/IMAG2116_zpslj9t8tao.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/IMAG2118_zps6sczprah.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/IMAG2117_zpskqvqlryz.jpg

before Imperial Fists were popular

The Imperial Fists are popular now? That's news to me... they don't particularly strike me as being any more popular than any other Legion or chapter, though I might just be out of the loop...

Looking good, man. Hope to see more Fists from you in the future. :tu:

I read the title and immediately thought of that picture/meme and wondered how it would fit with your army. I have to say just seeing a random Imperial Fist was a nice surprise. My second painted* army was the Imperial Fists. They were dreadful looking but they were mine.

*I am being very generous to myself with that word.

Saw thread title and expected something about D'n'D and Muscle-Wizards, but was instead met with an amazing Imperial Fist. :wink::biggrin.:

Ahahahaha. If only 40k still had that level of silliness about it, I could just imagine an Imperial Fist going full muscle wizard.

Should've never stopped painting yellow. Looks awesome, bro. A possible stepping stone to include some more Shattered Legion Fists, eh? :wink:

Cheers mate :) To be fair if foundation paints had been a thing back in the day, I might not have stopped haha. Shattered Legion could be an option, this guy really just came together out of spare bitz, but I like the idea!

He's beautiful my friend. Nice and gritty. Also that may be my favorite helmet on a model.

It's a great head isn't it. Was trying to figure out for ages what to do with it, didn't like it on my Ultramarines, but when I threw together a few random bits to make this guy it just...worked.

So what's the Fist's story?

TBC. More than likely a survivor of the Retribution Fleet, but we'll see.

before Imperial Fists were popular

The Imperial Fists are popular now? That's news to me... they don't particularly strike me as being any more popular than any other Legion or chapter, though I might just be out of the loop...

Looking good, man. Hope to see more Fists from you in the future. :thumbsup:

Heh. You know, I used to get laughed at at my local GW (Plaza, London) at the age of 10-12 by staffers whenever I brought my Fists in, it was genuinely an army they couldn't understand why you'd want to paint (the yellow was seen as girly). The fact that at any one time half a dozen Fist logs are viewable on the first couple pages of the WIP forum here, and that I've seen a notable increase in their uptake at events in both 30k and 40k in the last two or three years (especially since they got Chapter rules in 6th ed) is a little mindblowing. Especially considering I was literally the only Imperial Fist player for a fair radius in my area back then.

Yeeees, nice muted yellow!

Seems that 2017 will be the Year of the Resurgent Fist for others than me :biggrin.:

I like that name!

I read the title and immediately thought of that picture/meme and wondered how it would fit with your army. I have to say just seeing a random Imperial Fist was a nice surprise. My second painted* army was the Imperial Fists. They were dreadful looking but they were mine.

*I am being very generous to myself with that word.

Aye it is a bit random. And yep, I feel you, my Fists at that age had a natural bonus to their armour save thanks to the copious layers of paint globbed on to them. I thought thinning your paints meant putting them on a treadmill, apparently...

Blackshields and tulwars and Fists, oh my!

Nice to see you branching out and do awesome stuff with other Legions.

Also, because I made it a while ago and it matches your thread title now:

http://i.imgur.com/GNb5GKJ.png

• 3 months later...

Slaughter at Manachea

After Armatura we all wanted vengeance. We'd seen combat against the traitorous foe before, having bloodied our blades on XII Legion castaways and deserters who'd remained behind on the war-world, but it wasn't enough. The dead of Armatura still haunted our dreams, still plagued our waking thoughts. We'd seen our Legion's proudest sons culled like chattel, their corpses piled in mounds reaching to Armatura's darkened skies, seen our greatest stronghold violated and rent asunder by men we'd trusted as brothers. I wanted to do the same to our enemy. I wanted to stand before a warrior of the World Eaters and savour the pain in his eyes while I gutted him like the honourless whoreson he was.

I think, even back then, I'd begun to lose my way. Discipline Master Xeones saw the signs, of that I am now sure. It was still many months before the executions began, of course, and a long while before the warriors of the Black One Hundred were forced to make the bleakest of choices. Yet I am sure that Armatura set in motion the events that led to the Breaking of the Hundred. Coriolanus disagrees with me. He says it was the Slaughter at Manachea, and the bastard Sons of Horus that drove us into the dark space beyond Ultramar, that set us onto the darkest of paths. I say the rot set in earlier. I still had what I thought was honour, and I still believed in the Legion's code. But I lost my faith in the Imperium the day I walked amidst Armatura's ashes.

The story of our departure from Armatura is one I'll recount another time. Suffice it to say that when Ardent Vigil, our strike cruiser, broke from the Warp a week after departing Armatura, we'd already seen combat against enemies and byblow horrors that none of us could have imagined in our darkest nightmares.

We emerged from the Warp into an ambush. The Sons of Horus were waiting for us. How, or why they chose us, when there must have been countless other XIII Legion units isolated after the retreat from Armatura, I'll never know.

They destroyed Argent Vigil. Our cruiser burned and the Brother-Captain ordered us into the pods onto the nameless rock below us. A fifth of us never made it to the surface. We still called him by his name, then. He hadn't earned my hatred or the cognomen many of us gave him after the Breaking.

The Sons of Horus followed us onto the planetoid below. We fought through the ruins of an Imperial mining colony and made them pay for every inch of ground they took trying to catch us. Eventually we were cornered in a refueling outpost in the mountains. For six hours we fought like lions. Sixteenth Legion fast movers kept us pinned in the outpost and even our Knight support couldn't break the enemy's armoured units. I, and every man in the Hundred, knew the end was coming.

to be continued

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/IMAG2231_zpsx4z1nkoy.jpg

Sons of Horus units surround [fragment lost/error 914] [XIII Legion unit, unidentified, marked slain in action]

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/IMAG2229_zpsq7nsub5p.jpg

[scribal note: XIII Legion command element in pict-capture - confirm size of XIII Legion strength at Manachea? No records available]

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/IMAG2228_zps2tx52fhr.jpg

[Final pict-capture, cf. Manachea Incident - presence of XIII Legion sanctioned unit {titular 'Black One Hundred'} confirmed]

Really happy to see this thread updated again, as this is clearly one of the most interesting Heresy era threads on the board, and easily one of the best Ultramarines projects to boot (along with Apologist's true scale Ultramarines). I also keep coming back to the Black 100 for inspiration when it comes to nailing down the look and feel of my own 30k project -- which is deliciously ironic, indeed, as my own project happens to be Armatura-themed World Eaters ;)

Anyway, keep up the excellent work, is all I'm saying ;)

Really happy to see this thread updated again, as this is clearly one of the most interesting Heresy era threads on the board, and easily one of the best Ultramarines projects to boot (along with Apologist's true scale Ultramarines). I also keep coming back to the Black 100 for inspiration when it comes to nailing down the look and feel of my own 30k project -- which is deliciously ironic, indeed, as my own project happens to be Armatura-themed World Eaters :wink:

Anyway, keep up the excellent work, is all I'm saying :wink:

Cheers mate. I've been following your guys for a while now with interest. I am particularly fond of your massacre of Angrons ;)

Great battle shots. Your Ultras look great up close and at gaming-distance.

Excited to see what you've got coming up next!

Cheers pal. I think they're best at gaming distance, but that may be because I compare them to the standards on here, which are super high, and the guys I know/game with most frequently are great painters. Appreciate it, though :)

Is that a Blood Raven? *listens for disembodied voice of Gabriel Angelos*

Actually do have a Blood Magpie at the conceptual stage, been meaning to do one of them since forever, but it ain't this fella.

Fantastic fluff, as always.

Blackshield marines inbound?

Yes sir! One half of the answer there...

Sons of Tyr ?...

...and there's the other half...glad someone remembers ;) Yes, something big coming. Here's a pic of that dude properly colourised.

Kalev Ashan

formerly of XIX Legion

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030136_zpsj5e8oofy.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030137_zpsu5tcgios.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030141_zpsan1zfvbv.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030140_zps0r9rclhc.jpg

Those of you who remember the old Survivors of Istvaan log in my signature will notice that Kalev Ashan was the first warrior in my old band of Raven Guard survivors to be painted up. How he came to be bearing the unconventional weaponry here, and the non-standard iconography, is for another thread. For now this is a teaser of a project I want to get started on soon in conjunction with the Black One Hundred.

Oh, and here's the inspiration for the paint scheme, from the pages of Retribution.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/med_gallery_88327_11704_377316_zpsjakp9qiz.jpg