Daemons ongoing projects - Back to the Mechanicus

Right, been a while. Trying to motivate myself by kick starting some Ad Mech. My idea is to do a magos who is on the outside of the Mechanicum society, roving the rust seas, and junkyards of Mars, scavenging, surviving on scraps. So I wanted a bit of a ragtag look. To start with, a mech wraith, one of many that hunts the debris fields of Forge Worlds, slowly loosing their grip on humanity. This one has enough left to align him with a Magos.

27061947211_b797c39a30_z_d.jpg

26524780024_d58ff14e99_z_d.jpg

• 1 month later...

After promising myself to paint what I have before I built, I've spent the weekend building new stuff. I decided the Interrogator was to good to go with the old Inquisitor and needed some new friends.

28145074642_120583d872_z_d.jpg

27968216220_5d13af907a_z_d.jpg

A former member of the imperial guard, now employed as a tracker in the service of the inquisition.

I was flicking through the old Inquisition rule book and a few pieces of artwork really jumped out at me. One of my favourites is that of Sgt Stone, a gland war vet. I didn't want an exact copy, Stone is very barbaric, bare chested, skull and helm trophies, and a glaive. I swapped the glaive for a rifle, but kept it bayoneted, and decked him out with as much gear as I could. I used the most messed up head I could find, I think just looking at him would scare most heretics. I liked the description of the imperial guard veterans in the book, basically to live that long against all the horrors in the universe they tend to end up a little more then psychopaths who would kill anyone, but are very good at taking orders, making them the most skilled warriors in the imperium, after the Astartes. Perfect for an inquisitor.

Thought welcome.

Oh man I missed a lot (and others too, judging from the lack of comments), which is a complete shame, as your conversions of late have been stunning. Wow! So characterful, so detailed and intricate. I really like the sniper/scouting guardsman - whose equipment comes closer to what an actual soldier would carry to war. The Interrogator and hound look great, even though they are stock models. But my favourite by far is the Mech Wraith. Wooow! Creepy is hell!

May I ask: where did you get the extra mechandrite cables? They are a very off colour from GW plastic, and I know they aren't FW. I'd love to get my hand on them. If they are resin, perhaps you can heat the ones on the back up a little and bend them slightly, so they are more in tune with the movement of the rest of the model?

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but... WOW. Great looking stuff, I love the creepy vibe.  So many cool options with Inquisitors and their companions. I wish GW supported them better with rules.

Thanks dude. I don't mind the rules stuff though, not having to think about what's legal means I can build with a certain freedom. Thanks guys.

Next model, I want to paint in pairs because that's about as much as I can manage, a psyker. I read through the dark heresy rule book and took some ideas from the sactiding ritual but also the void born stuff. I wanted a guy who looked physically week and slightly malformed. Not enough to be considered a mutant (well physically speaking) but not quite 100 percent healthy human.

27812298474_eb9cf4abc9_z_d.jpg

27812298354_b15a43bcb3_z_d.jpg

Orriginally I wasn't going to add any robes and leave him in the modified Elysian armour but I thought the robes might help normalise him. I'm not 100 percent in them, it added a little bulk but has eccenterated his stance making him look a bit hump brackish which I like. Would love some thoughts?

• 2 months later...

I've finally got my new inquisitor built, here he is chilling with his boys. The tight arm looks rough but it's much better IRL. The sword needs a bit of soothing before painting. In quite excited to get some paint on these guys now, and write down some background for them.

29733708216_d8f55f09b8_z_d.jpg

And something else. This is one of those, start with an idea and spiral out of control, models.

29707583182_951004b94d_z_d.jpg

He was going to be a true scale EC Praetor, but things got out of hand. He's actually taller then I initially planned, in fact he's bigger then a marine made using terminator legs, despite having no terminator pieces on him. I bulked out the legs and will do the same with the arm. I just need to decided what to arm him with. I'm not even sure what chapter to go for, or if I just paint him as a DIY chapter, or 30k black shield (but would black do the model disservice?).

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys. I'm slowly working at a pace a glacier would be embarrassed of.

I decided to paint up the mech-wraith, but the head was bugging me. He looked to normal for what was in my head for him. So I removed the Skitarrii head and replaced it with a servo skull. With the bionic eye and the big canister I imagine there's still some organic brain left within the skull. I'm not 100 percent happy with the hood so might re do it.

32467451726_06fde802ba_z_d.jpg

I though this little guy would make a nice servitor for the wraith. The white tube will become a chimney. I'm in two minds on what to do next with him, I was thinking maybe arachnid like legs, but need to figure out how to make them. I could also have him floating with some tendrils and weapons hanging down. Or there's the legs from the Sicarians kits. I have another couple of these bodies so I could make a few.

32129365870_2871a38ed4_z_d.jpg

I was thinking of the background for these fellas, I like the idea of mechanicum who have regressed a to a tribal society. I might make a tech-shaman to lead them.

• 3 months later...

Aaaannnnnddddd another long absence. I've just moved to a new place and decided to seriously clear out all my stuff. Now I've unpacked, I'm going to do my best to focus on finishing some stuff. I built this truescale marine a few weeks ago. I posted in the Heresy forum, the plan was to do some World Eaters, but now I'm not so sure. I've been thinking recently of the Badab War chapters, so that might be a possibility. I should probably work out what Shadow War is! Any way, here's the model, thoughts, chapter (or warband) suggestions, anything really.

34698071795_6093328237_z_d.jpg

You've been away for a while, but I haven't checked this thread for longer. THat truescale dude you posted September last year is fricking inspired. Finish him! Perhaps just a standard bolter as armament? PAINT him!!

I've done a lot more work on him, but I can't remember where abouts I've put him. I still need to unpack some bit so hopefully he survived my move.

Last night I removed the axe from the latest marine and tied a lightening claw, decided the axe was better!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've changed my name. I've gone back to what it was before I changed it to The Hydra. Why, mostly because I didn't like The Hydra that much. If I could have it minus the numbers I would but it wasn't possible. Anyway, little things.

Haven't really touched much GW stuff recently, but decided to see what the Primaris were like, and I actually quite like them, and think the more the posable, non starter box versions will be really good. Still, thought I'd tinker with them.

Aesthetically I don't mind the big round bits on the knees and ankles, I kind of get why they are there, but I wanted to see how much work it would be to remove them. I also got rid of one of the skull and wings designs, because I think it's a bit overdone. On face I removed all skulls apart from the chest one. I initially played around with a different right arm, which is why I had to do some GS there. The legs need tidying up on the ends, which won't take long (was going to donit last night but was to lazy). Really though I've hardly done anything to the model, which is good.

35675667732_c063f4850a_z_d.jpg

I'm thinking of going Alpha Legion with these guys, which would see me return to the faction I started with when I joined. Back then I was extending with plasticard, but then the Horus Heresy started getting traction and I got sucked into the whirlpool of indecision that brought with it. So to step back to them would bring me round to where I was 5 years ago when I joined (and the name change gains another level of meaning!!!).

Fluff wise, are they True Scale of Primaris? I don't think that needs to be answered. During the events of Deliverance Lost they stole Corax genetic research, with 10,000 years whose to say they haven't developed this into the Primaris, or something similar. Armour wise, I will probably try to add my own twist to the standard armour, just cos I like to, so there working in stolen suits, making their own version.

Painting wise, I'll probably try and go with the classic Chaos blue and green scheme, but maybe more muted.

As it was raining last night I decided to just keep messing around with Primaris. I swapped the left arm, repositioned the right arm a bit, and added some cabling for the old school effect. I also tried a number of different helms, finally settling on an HH IW one. If I could I'd change the shoulder pads but that would be a lot of work. I'm not sure if I'll go to all this effort for every marine but it's fun to see what can be done.

35055036503_365f543f06_z_d.jpg

Archived