Chronicles of the Venak’tor Nox

Trysanna

Update
Seeing as how the Knight Pilot remains my most popular mini, I've got something to share. May I present Mistress Vassit, Regent of House Patraxi, and oathsworn defender of the War Forge Kalixus.

http://tarvick.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/035.jpg

I had a blast both modeling and painting Vassit. She has been a fantastic little project that really helped me get back into this hobby, as well as kickstart this project. Big thanks to everyone who's commented, the kind words really motivated through the painting process. And as I mentioned in my last update, musical inspiration. I don't have much to say on the choice this time around, for me it just clicked with her character and how I've imagined Vassit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax0k5rxaXiU

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks of the finished Regent. I'm pretty proud of her myself!

Replies
@Kraut
Thanks! Means a bit coming from the Huntsman himself. Hopefully you find her loyalties to your liking.

@Chaplain
Glad I could help you out! Happy to see another Protoman fan, although I didn't expect it to be on the B&C. tongue.png

Your regent is great-- the use of the servo skull as a helmet is a great idea, and was executed very well.

Glad I could help you out! Happy to see another Protoman fan, although I didn't expect it to be on the B&C. tongue.png

I could talk music all day brother; although I must confess the enjoyment I receive from The Protomen is immensely eclipsed by the sheer fanaticism I have for the band they covered, Iron Maiden. That sort of music is my lifeblood, haha.

Update

I managed to get a little progress on the Dominus, who is currently employed by both the Venak'tor Nox and Vassit. I've yet to name him/her/it, but here's where I'm at.

med_gallery_60514_11008_529677.jpg med_gallery_60514_11008_663918.jpg

I've gone for a blue glow with the Volkite/Plasma weaponry, mostly to contrast the red, and because my original plan of warp color glow didn't work out to well. I am pleased with the red robe, as well as the armour plating on his back. Next is Khârn, who has received his helmet and crest. I wanted to go for a very threatening pose, something that radiated aggression.
med_gallery_60514_11008_595997.jpg med_gallery_60514_11008_287118.jpg
And lastly is the Templar, who just needs his eyes painted before I call him done. For the previously bare shoulder pad, I went with some scrawled text and a mini templar cross. Thanks for the inspiration on that, Flint.
med_gallery_60514_11008_140760.jpg med_gallery_60514_11008_203990.jpg
I'm hoping to begin painting 3rd Claw soon, as well as attempting to finish building the 'Zerker squad.Oh, and I'm going to convert a Venerable Dread into a Night Lords one, because Heresy, mostly. Comments and thoughts welcome!

The Templar and Dominus are looking great. Gotta love both models. Great job on the right pauldron! Very characterful conversion.

Khârn is a boss to be feared, seriously. One thing I would nitpick about is the facing of the helmet. Without the helmet, what really made me go "wow" on the model was that you effectively altered his fast, left-oriented run into a looming, right-oriented pose. That effect is completely gone now that you faced his helmet to the 'middle', and my apologies but I think he looks a little awkward like this. Would you consider having the helmet face right and showing us a picture of that? I get that you're going for a bit of a 'come-at-me-bro' kinda thing, but I suspect that will also very much come across when his face is oriented to the right.

Y'know, I was feeling a little iffy about the facing but I was thinking it was just me staring at him for too long. I'll change the head direction when I get home tonight and post a photo. Thanks for commenting Augustus, always helpful go get another opinion.

Cheers, Tarbick! I'm happy you took it the eay it ead meant: constuuctive critigue, offered to help you achieve the effect you want. A more specific suggestion is to have the head's facing be parallel to the direction of his right upper leg. He'd really, really be the epitome of an aggressive 'come at me' look. Looking forward to it!!

Your thread is only teo pages long but I suspect I will be returning here very often to gorge on your work. You deserve to be called artist.

Thanks for the praise Augustus. I very much appreciate your critique! it's nice to know what someone else thinks, especially with your experience. You might see things that aren't working, and I'm glad you pointed it out and explained your thoughts. Speaking off, I've got some photos!

med_gallery_60514_11008_385767.jpg

Thoughts?

I've been thinking about picking up a Dominus just as a small project for fun. Yours might just have swung it into a certainty. Beautiful work.

Your wish is my command! :P

med_gallery_60514_11008_674539.jpg

I whole heatedly recommend the Dominus model. It's got everything I want in a mechanicum mini, and its been a joy to paint. That, and you get a couple cool bitz.

Update

The Dominus stands completed! Took me a little while longer than I originally intended, but I'm happy with the result. I'll try to get some more professional looking photos soon.

med_gallery_60514_11008_647101.jpg

I've also been continuing work on the Khorne unit. I need to grab some more Raptor legs and arms, but here's 6 members of the Claw. The main pieces are in place, but I've still got a fair bit of gap filling ahead.

med_gallery_60514_11008_203807.jpg

med_gallery_60514_11008_1208111.jpg

med_gallery_60514_11008_117481.jpg

I've also gotten some work done on 3rd Claw. They are currently base coated and I'm going to start working on the blue.

Those Berzerkers are looking great. Mixing them with the Raptor legs has given them a distinct, almost Blanche-y look, and that's never a bad thing at all. Kudos.

Update

I've been slowly working on 3rd Claw, and I'm pretty happy with how they're coming along. The blue is completed, and I'll be working on the bronze next. I plan to add personal heraldry to each member, even if it's something small. I'd love to hear some ideas if anyone has any.

med_gallery_60514_11008_322033.jpg

med_gallery_60514_11008_1127046.jpg

@Kobrakei

Thanks. I'm a huge fan of the Blanche style, glad I can get a bit of that style in my Zerkers.

That's a beautiful shade of blue. Really liking the extreme-looking highlights, especially on the mk vi marine (and honestly, I almost hate mk vi).

Also, those splashes of red really balance out the squad as a while. I especially like the completely crimson lower leg on that top (stage) right tactical. Looks great. Any particular reason or inspiration for that?

• 3 months later...
Update

I heed the Call! 

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted in here. I've been dealing with a lot of personal issues, which has put a damper in my hobby enthusiasm, unfortunately. I've tried a few times to get back into my Night Lords, but nothing stuck. I've been keeping myself busy with the Khorne Bloodbound from Age of Sigmar, and slowly working through some smaller items. 

Call of Chaos seems like a perfect chance to help me get back into my Night Lords, and clear a few items off my list. Here's my vow:

I, Tarvick, shall answer the Call of Chaos! I vow to complete 6 Khorne Berzerkers, Khârn of the World Eaters, and a Helbrute before December 15th 2015. Completion will award me glory for the War God, and failure will award me naught but shame.

And with that, here's a photo of them all together. 

http://tarvick.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/014.jpg

@Salvation

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad I could convince you of the glory that is Mk.VI! The idea behind adding red was to use it as a spot color on my non-Khorne units to visually tie them to all the awesome brass and red stuff I plan on adding. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Thanks to a few days off work due to the weather, I've had a little extra time to work on my Call. I've gotten the 'Zerkers basecoated and ready for washing, and Khârn is coming along nicely. If anyone is curious, the leather straps are taken from the Khorne Wrathmongers kit.

med_gallery_60514_11008_94035.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update

After a bit of stalling on Vermintide, I've managed to finish the first part of my Vow, Khârn the Betrayer. 

http://tarvick.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/001.jpg

I'm fairly happy with how he's turned out, even if it's taken me almost a year to paint him.

Archived