New to the game. Deathstorm boxset questions

FatSlim

Hello to all.

I'm very new to the game, still trying to grasp the concepts and the rules of it and I bought the Deathstorm boxset to start (my wife will be playing Tyranids). I have some questions to ask, specially regarding weapons loadouts and the models per se.

Also I was thinking in doing some magnetizing but I'm now thinking if it's best just to assemble everything and play the box as it is, with all the missions inside. What do you think?

So, on to the questions...

1- I already assembled Captain Karlaen and I'm assembling Cassor the Damned atm. Just stoped because of these issues:

1.1- Can I change the storm bolter to the heavy flamer that is provided as extra, while still maintaining this Dreadnought as Cassor? Or I am obliged to follow the suplement book to the letter?

1.2- If I decide to magnetize the arms, can I use the right arm of the Furioso Dreadnought variant (long range weapon) and replace the right arm of Cassor, using it in other games as a normal DC Dreadnought? (Yes, I know DC company is mostly close combat. Just trying to take advantage of the spare parts).

1.3- Is it ok to give a little bit "life" to the models? I mean, in the box, Cassor is just portrayed straight with his arms in a static position. Is it ok if I just to a more lively position and/or magnetize the body to be more mobile?

2- Raphen's Death Company:

2.1- It is stated in the suplement book that Raphen has a Thunder Hammer and a bolt pistol. But the model only comes with a 2H Thunder Hammer. Is it ok to stay like this, or can I attach a Bolt pistol to the model?

At the moment, these are my questions. I'll be most appreciated for all the answers. I'm very new to the game, trying to learn all of this and at 35, the little hamster in my head just doesn't run like it used to smile.png

howdy =)

the box and the supplement are pretty cool (especially for the start), but you may buy the codex blood angels for more background and options smile.png (and for your wife, the codex tyranids too tongue.png)

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Blood-Angels-Codex-ENG

for the dreadnought, of course you can build him modular and with a cool pose tongue.png you don't need to clue the arms on, which is pretty awesome smile.png

for raphen, if you want to use the dataslate, all of his gear (and of his guys) should be correctly modelled ... but oc, you can build the poses as you wish (and give him a bolt pistol if he has it in his rules)

Benvindo Primo!

Onto your questions, it depends on who you play against, most people in a casual setting will be OK with Proxying weapons(saying that the weapon is different than what is on the model), others won't be. Tournament and competitive play DEMANDS what we call WYSIWYG(what you see is what you get).

and completely off topic: Sportinguista ou Benfiquista? ;)

howdy =)

the box and the supplement are pretty cool (especially for the start), but you may buy the codex blood angels for more background and options smile.png (and for your wife, the codex tyranids too tongue.png)

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Blood-Angels-Codex-ENG

for the dreadnought, of course you can build him modular and with a cool pose tongue.png you don't need to clue the arms on, which is pretty awesome smile.png

for raphen, if you want to use the dataslate, all of his gear (and of his guys) should be correctly modelled ... but oc, you can build the poses as you wish (and give him a bolt pistol if he has it in his rules)

Thanks for the reply smile.png

Yes, I was thinking in sticking a magnet in the coupling below the canopy just to make him rotate. I noticed that the arms can be detached and they hold well. I'll skip with the magnets on that part. Regarding Raphen, yes, that dataslate states that he has a bolt pistol. The model is lacking one though. That was what was bugging me.

Regarding the weapons change Storm Bolter --> H. Flamer, Blood Talon--> Frag Cannon... if I do it, it'll end being just a regular DC Dread, losing the Cassor uniqueness and special rules/traits?

Benvindo Primo!

Onto your questions, it depends on who you play against, most people in a casual setting will be OK with Proxying weapons(saying that the weapon is different than what is on the model), others won't be. Tournament and competitive play DEMANDS what we call WYSIWYG(what you see is what you get).

and completely off topic: Sportinguista ou Benfiquista? msn-wink.gif

Olá!! (Hello!!)

Well, I'm in this just for fun. I'll try to go on the 27th for a small tournament in a little shop I discovered, just to see how it's played, but I don't know if I have time. Unfortunately I'm one of those that end up working on Saturdays sad.png

The off-topic... never been a fan of soccer, sorry biggrin.png If I was, BENFICA!!! all the way laugh.png

Neither: Manchester United.

tongue.png

You wish !!! Thanks for replying though! Was worth the effort tongue.png

Regarding the weapons change Storm Bolter --> H. Flamer, Blood Talon--> Frag Cannon... if I do it, it'll end being just a regular DC Dread, losing the Cassor uniqueness and special rules/traits?

yep ^^

All deathcompany with thunderhammers can carry bolt pistols but they can't wield a hammer and a pistol at the same time, so it really doesn't matter. Nobody cares if secondary weapons are modeled. Tactical squads all have pistols but there's only a handful of them in their kit.

I can't build a dread kit without hacking the legs to pieces, but I wouldn't be in any rush to do that if its your first dread. I have ones several years old that still need the cables remade with some kind of wire and putty.

The DC thunderhammer guy in the box is a two part hammer just do not use the bottom part of the hammer toss the left hand.  Right hand still has the hammer. Use a different left hand with a bolt pistol.  

All deathcompany with thunderhammers can carry bolt pistols but they can't wield a hammer and a pistol at the same time, so it really doesn't matter. Nobody cares if secondary weapons are modeled. Tactical squads all have pistols but there's only a handful of them in their kit.

I can't build a dread kit without hacking the legs to pieces, but I wouldn't be in any rush to do that if its your first dread. I have ones several years old that still need the cables remade with some kind of wire and putty.

Ok, thanks for the info. Has i said, I will just had the magnets to make him rotate and also to change the storm bolter to the heavy flamer when needed.

The DC thunderhammer guy in the box is a two part hammer just do not use the bottom part of the hammer toss the left hand.  Right hand still has the hammer. Use a different left hand with a bolt pistol.  

Yeah, I noticed that and was thinking if it would look good, because Cpt Karlaen also has a thunder hammer in just one had and a bolt in the other. I'll see if there is a bolter left when I assemble the DC ones.

Many thanks to both of you for your help

Archived