Tallarn 30 Corps, 4th LRRS WIP!

If you do,i would suggest dremeling away the face and trying to keep the hat intact. It's afterall a sign of his office.in the gaunt ghost series gaunt frequently removes his cap and suspends it on his belt for camo reasons if i recall correctly. You could do a similar thing here, after all the new headdress would hide most of the new face anyway so you could use a head from your bitzbox for him!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions everybody!

After a bit of a crazy time at work I've finally managed to detox with a bit of painting. Now whilst certainly not the best paintjob (or photography!) I've finished my paint scheme and with out further adieu I present one of my sergeants!

FullSizeRender (4)

Now what to do for the bases?

Classic Tallarn, nice! :D He looks brilliant well done :tu: As for the base... a sand one is perhaps too obvious but would look cool. Maybe spice it up a bit and use the new Martian Sand look? Otherwise a nice urban basing scheme usually works, and would look good with this scheme I reckon :)

I like the idea of sticking with some sort of sand/desert scheme for Tallarn.  Perhaps try out the Agrellan Earth technical paint?  It's very easy to apply and gives you a great parched, cracked earth finish.  You can even wash or highlight it after painting to go for a dried mud or even salt flats look.  In either case, great job on the test model!

Though it's cliche, it screams for an arid basing. I use quickcrete as my basing material, I'm probably going to get some brown and green static grass and add that to give my bases a bit more color, though, as I'm going for a very hindu kush type of environment.

As an aside, I've been trying to toy around with a fluffy competitive 500 point list and have so far come up with the following, any thoughts would be much appreciated!

HQ 

Captain Ja-Zaieel & Squad mounted in Taurox 

Troop

Taurox Vets w/ Heavy Flamer

Taurox Vets w/ Heavy Flamer

Heavy Support

Avenger Strike Fighter

Your probably correct about the flyer although my local meta is brutal (WraithKnights in 500pts!!!! Yikes!!!), how about this?

HQ 

Captain Ja-Zaieel w/ Bolter & Squad  w/ 4 Flamers mounted in Taurox 

Troop

Taurox Vets w/ 2 Plasmaguns

Taurox Vets w/ 2 Plasmaguns

Fast Attack

6 Rough Riders

It all clocks in just 3 points shy of 500

In pulling a stunt like that he's told you all he needs to about the type of player he is... so go find a proper opponent ;)

It can't be that bad though, since your solution is to add Rough Riders. As much as I love them I can't claim they're a brilliant unit :P However at 500pts that's just where they might shine, I'd try and give them an upgrade but that might be difficult. Perhaps drop a couple of flamers from the CCS? They'd be more use on the RRs and still let them be killy.

Yeah, no kidding!

I think the rough riders can be really great at this points value, after all 7 Strength 5 AP 3 I 5 attacks on the charge is nothing to sneeze at! My hope as well is that most players won't waste firepower on them either!

Not sure about dropping lances for other weapons though, wouldn't that negate their charge abilities?

This 500 pointer is something of a shift for me, I've been continually pulled to converting Taurox's with wheels and giving them flatbeds with canvas coverings and strapping jerry cans all over the place. All in all it seems a lot fluffier for me to have Taurox's than Chimera's to fit the light infantry recon group theme.

I'll probably spend a decent amount of time making this army look great on the battlefield and when I want to scale up in points, just call in a steel host detachment.

The lances are good, but sadly one use and you can't choose when you use them. As a fast moving special weapon platform they're not bad I think, a flamer or two would give them additional use though they probably won't do much more than their first charge so it's not essential at 500pts :)

Sounds like you've got a great plan for this army, so I'll be keeping an eye out for your WIP topic in the barracks :tu:

Image Samples inbound!

Afghanistan_18.jpg

http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_122261_en.jpg

http://hindu-kush.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/37618856571f131e5a14b.jpg

http://www.traveladventures.org/countries/tajikistan/images/khakha-fortress02.jpg

For a bit of variety, I'll give you some images of the Korengal and Shahikot Valleys as well. 

Korengal

3833010621_d5150ee9a9_b.jpg

Chichal,_Korengal_Valley,_Kunar_Province

Laniyal_from_Ali_Abad,_Korengal_Valley,_

Shahikot:

http://armedforcesmuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Shahi-Kot-Valley.jpg

http://www.sgtmacsbar.com/Articles/ValleyofDeath/Valley01.jpg

There was a documentary on Netflix called Restrepo a while back, that was the Korengal Valley, there's currently a Documentary called Korengal which is a follow up. US airborne Units have been getting torn up in that Valley since the start of the War in Afghanistan. If you played the 2010 Medal of Honor Game, that was the battle of the Shahikot Valley, and the Battle for Takur Ghar. The scenery in those the media should give you a pretty good idea of what kind of terrain you're looking at. It's actually so similar to Arizona and New Mexico, that most modern films set in Afghanistan are actually filmed in the Southwest US. 

Alternatively you could also look to Southwest Afghanistan, Like the Helmand province for some inspiration, it's a huge rain shadow desert created by the Iranian plateau. Afghanistan is a really intriguing place from a meteorologist's point of view, it presents all kinds of unique and interesting challenges.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the inspiration Ulrik! I have actually seen Korengal.... my brain occasionally is prone to lapses of memory....

I've already gotten some of the materials necessary to create a similar basing scheme (although with more "mud".... gotta keep it Grimdark after all).

About those rough riders.... well I've gone and made a test model up, he's a kit-bash of various elements, the other 5 will have various different stowage setups to have a 

bit of variety. I'm still debating the head however, in a perfect world I'd like to source some of the pig iron desert rat heads. The tutorial for GS headdress earlier in this thread did is amazing but I quite like having goggles and other bits on the headdress as well.

At the moment he is held together with putty, but I'll pay a bit more attention to the gaps when using GS. I'm also struggling with the notion that he may not feel different enough from a marine scout biker.... i'm hoping Tallarn head dresses will sort that out though. Any suggestions for alternate and easily source able or convertible legs would be welcome, as I'm not to happy with the Scout Biker bottoms...

He may also come off as a bit "Cadian" at the moment. I'm hoping the paint job will sort that....along with the fact that flowy robes + motorbikes = tangled robes and stalled engines...

FullSizeRender (7) bike

FullSizeRender (8) bike

FullSizeRender (6) bike

FullSizeRender (5) bike

Cheers!

Jahx

A rebreather mask would work too, if you've got any spare command squad bits around.  I love this conversion; it's a shame he has to be cavalry because IG Bikers would be an awesome unit!  (surprised FW hasn't thought of this)

Well... Cavalry is better is it not? +1 W, T, S right? Biker is only +1 T, but gets relentless and a jink... Rough riders, I have to say I like better than bikes, especially after I tried using ravenwing with my guard, which wasn't bad, but they didn't do what I needed...

Archived