paulJams Space Hulk and HHB@C and Epic WIP

paulJam

This is weird. Why do you apparently have the tiles and markers but not the models?

There's a lot of people on eBay selling the tile sets and counters. My best guess is that they bought the full sets and then sold the models individually.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Y'know, if I had a 3d printer, I'd have probably made a 3d space hulk board by now. As it turns out, I don't, but I have made a start at casting resin recently, and the reason is because of the desire to make a 3d board. All I need to do is make the prototypes. :-)

I have to say, your tiles look pretty damn awesome. I look forward to seeing what shape this project takes. :-)

Y'know, if I had a 3d printer, I'd have probably made a 3d space hulk board by now. As it turns out, I don't, but I have made a start at casting resin recently, and the reason is because of the desire to make a 3d board. All I need to do is make the prototypes. :-)

I have to say, your tiles look pretty damn awesome. I look forward to seeing what shape this project takes. :-)

cheers DistroyA.

i'm also planning on exploring casting to make some consoles, displays, pipes and stuff when i'm finished with the framework.

JeffTibbetts made a nice little 1 page casting tutorial a few months back that i'm itching to try.

it's a love-hate project. the printer was sitting there doing not much so i thought why not? turned out to be a lot of repetitious work but hopefully will be fun once it's done.

they'll look better with a spray of metal paint - what doesn't :smile.:

most of the stuff is modeled on sketchup. if you need ideas or motivation on your version when you get round to it, i'm happy to help and look forward to seeing your progress.

Edited by paulJam

You're very welcome. I have to say, it's definitely worth getting into casting. Making a two part mould is tricky though, and I learned the hard way that using a silicone based release agent is the worst idea ever. If you do end up making two part silicone rubber moulds, definitely use petroleum jelly on the first half of the mould before you pour the 2nd half in. After that, the fun part begins. :-D

I look forward to seeing your casting processes if or when you decide to pick up the resin and rubber. I'll definitely post progress once I start my space hulk board. I'll even link the page I found that inspired me (of which is very insightful too). :-)

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm.... i can see this project rapidly transforming into a homebrew Space Hulk and homebrew HH30kBaC.

having seen the board in action it doesn't have the same space/size issues as SH which was my impetus for the SH project in the first place, but i can see myself wanting a bigger board and perhaps hex based terrain bits that slot into a board cell.

come on little 3d printer we've got hexes to print !!!

have decided to print out all the bits from space hulk, rather than just the ones for my small missions. the reality is that once the project is useable/playable i'm not going to want to go back and print more after i start painting.

• 1 month later...

Love this. Reminds me of some of the old homemade stuff I've seen... There is a guy out on the intertwebs somewhere selling cast resin space hulk sections. He was doing this before the fancy 3rd edition came out! His were very detailed, clearly a labor of love (self hate)...

He had unique stuff to...

Wow... Just Google image searched "resin space hulk board"

I want to play in these people's rec rooms for the rest of my life...

Wow... Just Google image searched "resin space hulk board"

I want to play in these people's rec rooms for the rest of my life...

i hear ya, those google searches have definitely played a part in my own minor ambitions.

the amount of detail they put into the segments, the maps, well all of it really is pretty spectacular. some of the maps are on a Zone Mortalis kinda scale.

fortunately my own requirements are 25% hardware and 80% imagination so i can afore to do a (much) rougher interpretation. plus they're actually for playing on anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that's really impressive dedication to a boardgame many people believe to be a "throwaway" just to get their hands on the HHBAC models.

You should sell those hexgrids-- they can double as tile holders for Settlers of Catan and other hex grid games :P

Edited by The_Chaplain

Wow, that's really impressive dedication to a boardgame many people believe to be a "throwaway" just to get their hands on the HHBAC models.

i'm going to interpret that as "you know what you like and did something with it," rather than "you're a crazy m0f0 obsessed with a format no one cares for much."

so thanks The_Chaplain :)

i don't like playing 40k, there i said it. the only guy i play with now days lives 300 clicklometers away so that's a rarity.

40k-lite on the other hand i can convince people to play. so now i actually get to move all the models i carefully painting around in anger. it's good.

i can't recommend it enough for anyone feeling meh with the big game.

• 3 weeks later...