NOOOOooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition !

Our chief weapon is fear. And surprise...

Our TWO weapons are fear, surprise, and a ruthless efficiency...

Oh, I'll come in again !

First draft, planning on rereading soon to review... once my eyes become unfamiliar with it again... 'scuse the spelling.

*History of cool grimdark assassin order here*

I don't know much about Imperial Assassins, but these guys are pretty awesome. biggrin.png

My only bit of C&C is that there's a section where you use the word 'callous' or 'callousness' twice quite close together. Maybe consider 'ruthless' or 'ruthlessness' for one of those, and I'd say that's pretty much all the polish it needs.happy.png

Aquilanus - I notice that I'm not marked off as complete, yet. What else do I need to do? smile.png

I thought I'd read that you were going to review it, before marking it as complete. I'll take a read in a bit and get back to you, but I think you've hit all the points smile.png

Edit:

Perfectly fine, Brother! thumbsup.gif Marked as Complete! happy.png

Okay. Well, I'll refine the article over what time we have but it's pretty much there, I think. Short of C&C from anyone, I think I've done alright. ;) 

Okay. Well, I'll refine the article over what time we have but it's pretty much there, I think. Short of C&C from anyone, I think I've done alright. msn-wink.gif

I didn't see your post after I edited my last one. It's all good thumbsup.gifhappy.png

First draft, planning on rereading soon to review... once my eyes become unfamiliar with it again... 'scuse the spelling.

*History of cool grimdark assassin order here*

I don't know much about Imperial Assassins, but these guys are pretty awesome. biggrin.png

My only bit of C&C is that there's a section where you use the word 'callous' or 'callousness' twice quite close together. Maybe consider 'ruthless' or 'ruthlessness' for one of those, and I'd say that's pretty much all the polish it needs.happy.png

C found to be concise and helpful & C appreciated.

"ruthless" works for me, cheers Brother Ace thumbsup.gif

i got my first (well only) metal Eversor way back when... they were metal. a psycho bezerker literally on steroids, or blow, or both. what's not to love?! considering getting a couple more and moding them now that i don't need a soldering iron.

[later] just bought two mmmmmouuhhahahahaaa...

vow complete

Well, for now I have a loyalist:

I, Teetengee, vow to create Inquisitor Zorn, the Wrecker, by the 17th July 2015 at 18:00 (GMT). This I vow or will be eternally damned by Him on Earth!

and what I have so far:

Hidden Content
Born in Hades Hive, Armageddon 933.M41, Zorn spent her early years fighting for life within the bowels of the Hive. Eventually she found herself as part of the household guard of one of the more powerful families. When the Orks came Armageddon, the heavy warfare cost her most of what she had gained, in addition to her left arm.

The first assaults lead to rioting which ended up claiming the life of Zorn’s employer. Unable to find a living outside of fighting, Zorn enlisted. Her previous experience served her well and allowed her to survive the hell of combat alongside thousands of haphazardly trained guard, defense forces, and conscripts. Some of her best war stories are still from fighting alongside Commissar Yarrick during one of the Ork offensives into the Hive, even if she did have her concerns about some of his methods. Towards the end of the battles for Hades Hive Zorn received the wound that would change her journey forever.

The loss of her arm meant that until she could be given a cybernetic replacement, her usefulness in a field combatant role was almost nil. Fortunately, her sergeant had noticed Zorn was a quick learner and recommended that she be transferred to logistics. Although she internally railed against the indignity of such a post at first, Zorn realized that it was the only realistic thing she could do, but never lost sight of her true passion, bringing death to greenskin filth.

Zorn excelled at her new post but always kept an eye out and a prayer on her lips for an opportunity to get back in the front lines, with a combat ready bionic of course. Her prayers were answered in the form of Inquisitor Malak of the Ordo Xenos. Malak had come to Armageddon to investigate the methodology which was used to defeat the Ork menace. The inquisitor believed that the use of Ork technology and customs against them seemed to be more deadly than would otherwise be expected, and aimed to find out why this was the case. Although personally believing it was just psychology, Zorn jumped at the chance to provide “a native and well versed guide for the region and methods in question” when Malak requisitioned an aide.

This began Zorn’s induction into the Ordo Xenos. Under Malak, Zorn not only gained a formidable combat bionic in the form of a brutal yet dexterous power gauntlet, but gained invaluable knowledge on fighting the greenskin menace. Eventually becoming an Inquisitor in her own right, she sought out Ork battlegrounds all over the region in order to test herself against them and to aid the Imperial war effort.

Inquisitor Zorn found that her particular talents were best suited in destroying the ramshackle creations and vehicles of the green tide. The path of destruction she and her henchmen wrought upon the fields of battle earned her the nickname of Wrecker amongst the Mek-boyz of the enemy. This interest also lead her on more than one occasion to cross paths with inquisitors from other Ordos when reports of tech heresy arose. On one such occasion Zorn ended up putting her anti-armour expertise to use not against xenos, but against the foul legionnaires of the Iron Warriors. Her efforts there were unfortunately insufficient to protect the planet against the need for exterminatus.

It is no surprise that when Ghazghkull Thraka returned in force to Armageddon, Inquisitor Zorn was not far behind. Working behind the scenes, she and her servants eliminated dozens of Ork offensives before they could even begin by cutting down supply lines and eliminating transports. Enraged with the stalemate that ended the war and seeking vengeance for the affront to her homeland, Inquisitor Zorn left at the conclusion of the conflict to help hunt Thraka and the other Ork leaders to the end of the galaxy. Though so far deprived of her prize, and having butted heads with emissaries of both Yarrick and Helbrecht on multiple occasions, Zorn has not lost on ounce of faith that her furious road will end with Ghazghkull’s head on a spike.

Can we have radical/renegade inquisitors/assassins/dudes?

A radical Inquisitor is still an Inquisitor, even if only in name. msn-wink.gif

but renegades?

They were Inquisitors once, even if they have fallen completely off of the 'NO-HERESY' wagon. :P

Radical Inquisitors and those who have fallen to that which should not be named are welcome smile.png

Vows updated! happy.png

I, paulJam, vow to relay he summary history of Domen Rathari Inquistor of the Ordos Xenos, by the 17th July 2015 at 18:00 (GMT). This I vow or will be eternally damned by Him on Earth!

yes, a second one. it occurred to me (belatedly) that i should have fluffed out one of my setting's more influential characters given the opportunity.

now with its own thread in case i feel creative later...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/312055-liber-challenge-iv-doman-rathari/?p=4140047

I, Airinhere, vow to create Inquisitor Dr. Albious Brighton and Inquisitor Valeria Mane Retento, by the 17th July 2015 at 18:00 (GMT). This I vow or will be eternally damned by Him on Earth!

I present Inquisitor Brighton 

Name:  Dr Albious Brighton   
Planet of origin: Rigant     

Theatres of War engaged in
Dr Brighton was born 714 M41 as part of a genetics project of the Ministorium Pharmacologica.  He was 
raised as an apprentice of the medical services of the Administratum researching alien devices and 
their usefulness regarding human applications.  During his education he was able to repeatedly make 
direct contact with Eldar and demi human groups to directly research their methods of medical 
services.  Several Inquisitorial agents involved with the Ordo Xenos collaborated directly with Ordo 
Hereticus oversight to ensure that no dangerous programs would be allowed to filter back into 
Imperial programs.  

Dr Brighton worked as a direct person of contact with the Eldar of Trathain Exodite world.  His 
personable nature and advanced research regarding Eldar customs and behavior was of great value 
during this rare collaborative program.  The Eldar, usually reserved and Xenophobic had a need of 
External sources of distraction for the Current Military leadership to retain stability of their 
civilian population.  Dr Brightons visits were widely regarded by the Eldar as an attempt by the Mon 
Key to Seek aid against the growing threat of Tyranid incursion.  In reality the Pretense brought 
forth of Tyranic threat from Hive fleet Behemoth was a diplomatic ice breaker to gather insight into 
the elusive society of the Exodite Eldar.  Dr Brighton would travel back and forth to his homeworld
of Rigant several times while visiting the Exodite Eldarr bringing data samples each time.  During his
most successful trip he was entrusted with a small relic in the shape of a stylized sun with a circular
moon in the middle of it.  Polished steel without any seam and slighty vibrating to the touch.  A rare Eldar
Displacement field generator that could mask the appearance of a small transport so as to disappear
and seem to be several feet away from its true location.

Earning such a rare present from the Eldar brought Dr. Brighton to the attention of the Ordo Xenos 
Inquisitors he was Assigned under.  They quickly secreted the item away and worked to find its source 
of power and how it could be controlled.  Inquisitor Caelumix Aranthos of the Ordo Xenos assigned to 
the Exodite project brought the young doctor into his personal retinue and began careful observation. 
 Suspicion and worry about Xenos tech and corruption of the human spirit always hung in the 
background of their activities.  Dr Brighton continued in his service to Inquisitor Aranthos for 
several more years, developing a more involved understanding of the methods used by the Inquisition 
and how he could use his skills and intellect to advance the cause of humanity.

In 745 M41 Hive fleet Behemoth appeared as an unstopable force moving acros the galaxy.  Inquisitor 
Aranthos was one of several Inquisitorial agents sent to investigate this new threat and to assess 
the realistic danger and threat of these biogenic monsters.  Dr. Albious turned his education toward 
the tasks of understanding the Tyranid weapons and lifeforms brought to him.  His skill at handling 
these dangerous beasts and insight into their alien ways brought him much acclaim.  It was during 
these early experiences with the Tyranid, that he was recalled to a Black warp craft and brought into 
the Inquisition as a full Agent.

He was assigned into the Ordo Xenos with a focus on the Tyranic threat.  A modest starship, the 
Midnight Watching was granted to him  and he took on a full staff of medical personnel and military 
personnel.  Their task was to gather any relevant data about locations, activities physical 
adaptations and genetic weaknesses that could be used by the Imperium.
It was during this time that the good doctor also began using a modified mark IV dreadnought suit to 
assist him with heavy lifting on larger Tyranic lifeforms.  Weapons mounts were added to provide some 
degree of combat readiness after regenerative properties were discovered in several specimens that 
were wrongly thought to be fully dead.

After the Battle of Maccrage, the Tyranic fleets dispersed widely into small manageable hordes and it 
was during this time that Dr. Brighton honed his skills at tracking data and Warp signatures to 
predict sites where Tyranids would appear.  This often brought little succor to the worlds in the way 
of these micro fleets, but with proper preparation, many were spared or made able to evacuate.
Having performed such a singular activity within the Inquisition, the next few decades stretched on 
into centuries of the doctor dissecting the bodies of reported aliens thought to be Tyranids and 
searching for their disappearing trails.  As an aged scholar and warrior of nearly three hundred 
years, the doctors worst fears proved true.  A Tyranic attack appearing in the Eastern Fringe.  

Hive fleet Kraken was announced by the upheaval of Ichar IV and the genestealer infested population 
heralded the arrival of a shocking mass of Tyranid specimens.
Roused from his laboratories deep within the Fortress upon Talasa Prime to research the extent of 
this new Invasion.  Once again, the doctors ability to predict routes and forces of the invading 
organisms was astounding.  When the beasts were found to be headed towards the Eldar craftworld 
Iyaden.  The decision to allow the Xenos threat to handle itself was unanimous among his peers and 
with little effort to keep the monsters from straying from their path of Xenos destruction, the 
Imperial forces restrained themselves from wasting resources.

Because of the good doctors long ago standing with the Eldar species, he was assigned two young 
Inquisitorial acolytes from the Ordo Hereticus.  Each was assigned the task of observation and also 
military activities in the region.  Acolyte Rogal Harth was a dour man raised from birth aboard 
starships.  He had never known anything but military life and the endless metal passageways of the 
massive craft used by the Empire.  Acolyte Valeria Mane was born planet side in an Echlesiastic world 
in the Ophelia system.  She was devoted fully to the imperial doctrine and possessed a keen mind.  
Her ability to absorb the massive information the doctor could offer endeared her to him despite the 
obvious reporting she would do on his activities.

In 997 M41 hive fleet Leviathan appeared across the galaxy in a bold new attack.  The doctor found himself 
researching new mutations and species that were unknown before.  With the overwhelming force 
presented, confusion reigned as the Tyranids attacked mercilessly.  The doctors home world of Rigant 
was attacked when tendrils of the fleet consuming Tesla Prime discovered the doctors research 
facility there.  

Having long since worked out what parts of the Tyranid mind was responsible for controlling smaller 
specimens, the doctor would remove the required parts, link that to life support and then connect 
pain amplifiers to it.  Using Psykers as living energy boosters, these experimental projects of his 
would lure Tyranids to a specific point then assault them with a intense scream of raw pain that 
overwhelmed their minds for as long as the devices were active.  The cost for human psykers was an 
acceptable way to use their filthy abilities and recieved the full support of the Ordo Herecticus 
during his trials.

Drawn by the macabre experimental specimens, the Tyranids were butchered as they were lead to traps, 
and carefully planned incidents.  Sadly the once luxurious plains of Rigant were destroyed and would 
never bear wholesome fruit again.  During one of these incidents, the doctor was severely wounded and 
required extensive life support to extend his life.  His dreadnought unit was modified to allow him 
to integrate fully into its systems.  However, he was no longer able to be trusted with his own 
safety after being exposed to so many psionics during his experiments.  Truly, his experimental 
devices had enfeebled his mind to a great degree and he became almost oblivious to the world.
But he retained a final spark of brilliance.  The psionic backlash of those devices had amplified his 
ability to predict upcoming events and those that had passed.  Never again could his mind be able to 
act independently, but his mind was far too valuable to waste. 

During those final days, the Assault mentally and physically from the Tyranids had killed one of his 
Ordo Hereticus watchers, but The Acolyte Valeria Mane was promoted for her service to the Inquisition 
and in her holy goodness, took Dr. Brightons crippled body and his battered dreadnought war machine 
and forged a new holy shrine from it that she might face her enemies and have all the faithfulness of 
her wisest teacher alongside her always.  His voice lost to psychic damage, but his words ever spread 
by his holy pen as he scribes the details of all that passes for only her eyes to see.

Notable characters engaged with 

Inquisitor Kryptman often engaged in overlapping operations.  Dr. Brightons resources were always 
focused on laboratory work and only would venture into combat if needed or to collect specimens.

I'm not near a computer, but I acknowledge the above posts for completion and new vows (will update when I get home tonight)

Lord Inquisitor Mikhail Astrov

Mikhail was born to guard officers, who died early in his life in a battle against necrons. He was then sent to the Militarium Tempestus for training. He advanced through the ranks of the tempestus quickly until he was a tempestor at 19. Shortly thereafter he was noticed by an Inquisitor of the Ordo Xenos. He was noticed for his zealous fury against necrons and savant level intelligence. He became this inquisitor’s protégé and upon the aging inquisitor’s death Mikhail assumed his duties as an inquisitor of the Ordo Xenos, at the age of 35. Mikhail began searching for some way to defeat the necrons reliably, roughly four years into his research he came across documents saying that the Templars of Blood’s chapter planet housed the only dead Tomb World ever found. Devoid of all power Mikhail found the ruins relatively safe for the next 30 years he researched the ruins with his body guard of Tempestus, Techpriests, and Deathwatch Techmarines. In this time he created several very impressive achievements like the Xenos Bane, a sword constructed from necron living metal, the Mark XXVIII hotshot lasgun/pistol, Hotshot las weapons enhanced with gauss technology, and many others. At the age of 65 he was promoted to lord inquisitor in charge of the Tolarius sector, the sector in which the Templars of Blood’s chapter planet lies, as this sector has a large known necron threat. Over the course of the next 20 years he trained one of his inquisitorial storm troopers one Louis Javert as his protégé, he died at the age of 85 in a battle with a necron lord, but not before critically wounding the automaton first. He died in the year 969M41.

Archived