The Fabian's Revenge

Tranc

Despite bearing the colors and heraldry of the Ultramarines 3rd Company, the Fabian's Revenge is actually the dedicated transport of 1st Company Veteran Squad Kallistus.

During the first Tyrannic War, the Tyranid fleet had succeeded in landing xeno-forms upon the Ultramarines homeworld of Macragge. When communication was lost with the Northern Polar Fortress, it became the duty of the 3rd Battle Company, under the command of its new captain, to cleanse the infestation there and discover the fate of its 1st Company defenders.

In the aftermath of the war, it was discovered that the Ultramarines 1st Company had been wiped out to the last man. The need to rebuild the shattered Veteran Company resulted in many of the survivors of the Tyrannid War being granted veteran status. In the case of Squad Kallistus, it was the first time in recent memory that a squad, in its entirety, was inducted.

To honor their former Captain for his victory over the Tyrannid Hive Tyrant in Silo 8, and the cleansing of the Northern Fortress, the squad named their Land Raider Redeemer "Fabian's Revenge".

---

I painted this land raider circa 2012, but was never able to take satisfying photos of it. (I'm still not sure I have, as the details on the top of the hull and gunner are blurry from shallow depth of field. I might have to reshoot with a different lens...) To date, this is the largest model I have ever painted.
gallery_37066_4287_57141.jpg
I cannot help but feel my efforts at freehand painting that Tyranid head were cheapend somewhat by the recently released Ultramarines decal transfer sheet msn-wink.gif

gallery_37066_4287_309683.jpg
The Fabian's Revenge was built using Forge World's reinforced armour kit on the rear hull, but spaced armour on the front hull (because I discovered half way through that the reinforced extra armour was incompatible with the Redeemer's frag assault launchers). Well, at least it will look unique...

Thanks guys!

Please tell me those are decals? My ego can only take so much inferiority laugh.png

The insignias on the hull are decals. The 3rd company heraldry (sword impaling the Tyranid head) on the door is freehand, as is the sword on the other door and the banner to the left of it depicting the Tyrannic War Veterans emblem. The white Ultima in the red circle with the white laurels is Forge World etched brass.

Lovely work. One problem, and one that pops up a lot, the shields on the sponsons are backwards.

Whoops, can't believe I never noticed that! It's looking even more unique msn-wink.gif

Edit: I could have sworn I assembled this Redeemer according to the instructions. It looks like there are some official depictions of the Land Raider Redeemer with the sponson shields mounted the way I have them, however, e.g., Redeemers "Heart of Blood" and "Eurayalis' Bane" of the Executioners and Sons of Medusa Chapter, respectively, in Imperial Armour Volume Two - Second Edition.

I really like this land raider. Indeed I am reluctant to try one because I doubt I'd do the large canvas spaces justice and it would just end up looking boring. This is clearly not the case here. I really like the gem-like red skulls too, I can honestly say I don't think I've seen that done before and it really adds a nice touch. 

Lovely work. One problem, and one that pops up a lot, the shields on the sponsons are backwards.

Whoops, can't believe I never noticed that! It's looking even more unique msn-wink.gif

Edit: I could have sworn I assembled this Redeemer according to the instructions. It looks like there are some official depictions of the Land Raider Redeemer with the sponson shields mounted the way I have them, however, e.g., Redeemers "Heart of Blood" and "Eurayalis' Bane" of the Executioners and Sons of Medusa Chapter, respectively, in Imperial Armour Volume Two - Second Edition.

Yeah, it's a weird thing. If you look at examples on GW's site, and elsewhere, the angled side of the shields are pointed back. It lets them rotate fully outwards, and you can see by the way it fits into the framing that it was intended to be as such. Puting them on in the reverse keeps the sponsons from rotating a full 90 degrees out from the hull. That was actually how I realized I glued mine on backwards when assembling my Crusader :teehee:

But aesthetically, it does arguably look better reversed, and it happens so often (and even in examples like those two) that the orientation of the shields isn't quite so set in stone.

Sooo, shrug. laugh.png

Very nice work, brother. One criticism though, is that the doors have not been given the same weathering as the chassis they are mounted on. They look out of place. unsure.png

Yeah, this is one of the most perfect works I have ever seen. Everything seems "just" right. Granted I am biased as I love Ultras and the 3rd in particular, but everything comes together so well. It has the right amount of weathering and I adore the liberal use of red in the scheme. Makes it stand out and looks phenomenal. The fluff bit is great as well I'd love to see more angles of it.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement!

I really like this land raider. Indeed I am reluctant to try one because I doubt I'd do the large canvas spaces justice and it would just end up looking boring. This is clearly not the case here. I really like the gem-like red skulls too, I can honestly say I don't think I've seen that done before and it really adds a nice touch.

Regarding large canvas areas, you might try painting a color gradient to make them less plain. I think it's most noticeable on my red sponson shields, how they're darker near the top and brighter on the bottom. Apparently that type of countershading is a form of camouflage that often appears in nature (penguins, killer whales, etc.) as well as on military aircraft. It also makes the flat surfaces more interesting.

Regarding the gem skulls, I saw it somewhere so I can't take credit for inventing it. But once I started doing it it was hard to stop biggrin.png I like to use it for my sergeants' Iron Skulls. (I went crazy with them here.)

Yeah, it's a weird thing. If you look at examples on GW's site, and elsewhere, the angled side of the shields are pointed back. It lets them rotate fully outwards, and you can see by the way it fits into the framing that it was intended to be as such. Puting them on in the reverse keeps the sponsons from rotating a full 90 degrees out from the hull. That was actually how I realized I glued mine on backwards when assembling my Crusader teehee.gif

Interesting, the thing keeping my Redeemer's sponsons from rotating 90 degrees is not the sponson shields, but the prometheum tanks attached to the inside of the Flamestorm cannons. If not for them, I think the cannons could rotate regardless of the shield orientation.

Very nice work, brother. One criticism though, is that the doors have not been given the same weathering as the chassis they are mounted on. They look out of place. unsure.png

You're absolutely right. I had airbrushed the dirt onto the lower hull before I attached the doors because I was afraid I'd missfire with the airbrush and cover my precious freehand in Vallejo Air Dark Earth unsure.png

Yeah, this is one of the most perfect works I have ever seen. Everything seems "just" right. Granted I am biased as I love Ultras and the 3rd in particular, but everything comes together so well. It has the right amount of weathering and I adore the liberal use of red in the scheme. Makes it stand out and looks phenomenal. The fluff bit is great as well I'd love to see more angles of it.

I like to experiment with different Ultramarines color schemes, and I think the red, white & blue has a lot of potential for 3rd company. I also want to try 4th company's green against a little bit of red since they're complementary colors.

I like to experiment with different Ultramarines color schemes, and I think the red, white & blue has a lot of potential for 3rd company. I also want to try 4th company's green against a little bit of red since they're complementary colors.

I love an Ultra that is willing to innovate ;). I love your 3rd company scheme and would love to see how you would handle your 4th company idea. I was thinking of painting the sergeants and officers of the 3rd company with red shoulder insets just for that extra splash of color. Awhile back there was a guy in the Ultra sub-forum that had a beautiful 4th company setup. He had a very liberal use of green on his marines and his vehicles. Some of the members didn't like it as there was too much company color present, but I adored it. We see the Ultras scheme used so much as a GW example piece that it can be boring to see. So I love when people change it up a bit while still retaining the Ultra feel. More please, sir.

Archived