30k stormlord

amazarak

Good day folks,

I have acquired a stormlord for my 30k salamanders, but it really seems expensive for what you get. At 500 points, you are pretty much looking at games vs other super heavies and Primarchs, and the tank doesn't seem to stack up well for it's points. Am I missing something?

Maybe make an AV 14 fortress for a las cannon squad to shoot from? A transport for 20 legionnaires with cc weapons and bolters? Ugh. Struggling to find this tanks place in a 30k field. Anyone have any thoughts?

You could put 6 Graviton Rapier Cannons in it. 36" range on those thing, its a super heavy so they count as not having moved just roll around the table making life hard for anyone trying to move around the table. It has 40 carry capacity so they should all fit. Or put in 6 Laser destroyers or 6 thuddguns, and just throw out shatter shells at all the enemy armor while your mega bolter grinds up enemy tacticals caught out in the open. Attach some forge lords to those guns so they can rep the Stormlord if it takes a hit or two.

That should work right? If its illegal someone let me know. 

Can artillery go in SH? Dont think so but I cannot remember.

Also,,a Stormlord is not available for 30k legally

It think they can they just have the very bulky rule, and they can go inside a drop pod so why not a SH I haven't read anything in the SH entry that says it cannot transport them.

And yeah I don't think SM can take Stormlords, I know Sol Aux can though.

They can be. Page 163 of HH book two states that super heavy vehicles from previous Imperial Armor books can be taken. The upgrade to a space marine crew (bs4) is +15 points. The Stormlord appeared in Imperial Armor: Apocalypse II on page 12. There's several other Baneblade variants available too.

I hadn't considered putting a team of rapiers in it, that seems like quite a leap. Not sure if it's even legal to be honest, and it seems a little, I don't know, uncool? :)

While the caveat is still a contentious issue among a few people (how to interpret it), I Am not sure you can/should include obsolete IA books in the list of books accessible. IA: Apocalypse 2nd Ed was replaced by the latest version of IA: Apocalypse

However I suspect 99% of player groups would not bat an eyelid at allowing someone to use the Stormlord whether it is technically legal or not

With all this can or cant bring going on Im almost 100% sure all you have to do is ask your opponent I really doubt anyone in the heresy scene will tell you that you cant bring your Stormlord.

That said "go hard in the paint" man and just fill it with rapier batteries, unless your salamander honor would conflict with such cheese. msn-wink.gif Use it as a bus for Firedrakes then put a 20 man Tactical squad in it to get dropped off on an objective on the way to the Firedrakes target and they can Fury of the legion out of it if something gets close enough.

Houserules are always skmething you can ask your opponent for. Nobkdy has said otherwise. After all, for eg I run Mantis Warriors woth Ahazra Redth. Per RAW he cannot count towards Librarius Concalve but I Houserule it otherwise. Does not mean iit iss per RAW and assume everyone plays with that HR so it is worth bearing in mind when you are sinking £60 plus the building and painting time into it That some people and tournaments may nit let you play with that model.

jeremy1391,

I believe he's agreeing with you. That you can't take a solar auxilia stormlord for the aforementioned reasons i.e. LACAL and HH II doesn't say you can. I don't think there's any argeument here about that.

I honestly can't imagine there would be any debate about taking a stormlord at all, seems perfectly legal to me. My only concern is 'why' I would. I have one, sure, but it's very expensive for what it is/does. I am really just trying to solicit advice from more experienced gamers as to possible uses I haven't considered.

No, I'm not.

No, Jeremy1391, they cannot for aforementioned reasons.

Which aforementioned reasons? The wording in the LACAL is pretty dang clear.

Of course it's clear. You're just not understanding it.

The Stormlord has been updated in a Horus Heresy publication, and it's not available for a Legiones Astartes. In addition, the Stormlord itself has been updated and had rules released in a different book (Apocalypse) since Imperial Armour Apocalypse 2, and Apocalypse isn't a RAW legal book available to take Lords of War from according to the rules written in the LACAL.

I spent quite a bit of time researching this re my signature.

Also, Rapiers and other artillery are not legal;

"If a Super-heavy vehicle has a Transport Capacity, then it may transport any number of Infantry units (plus any characters that have joined the units), so long as the total number of models in the transported units do not exceed the vehicle’s Transport Capacity."

For shooting, Heavy Weapon Squads biggest weakness is that they are really quite weak defensively, but their damage is pretty incredible. You should only really have 20 Shooters in there, but due to the slow movement speed to allow them to fire, you can't really use them as an overly effective assault transport delivery system; in much larger games, when you can take squads for the fun of it, and not necessarily need them all to do a particular job, having a couple of minimum squads kitted for assault charging out turn 4ish can cause quite a bit of damage to none elite gunline units.

GW play using the most up to date rules. So yes.

I agree with the others, asking your opponents if you may use your Stormlord is fine and above board, but it also worth considering that some may take upset at that fact, especially if not 'asked'. It is polite gaming etiquette after all.

The more I think on it, the more I agree with you. If we aren't going by 'current' FW books, you're really looking at going down a big rabbit hole.

I don't think I'll be fielding this tank. Of course, having said that, I think it's entirely fluffy for an opponent to do so and I wouldn't have a problem with seeing one across the table from me.

Thanks for talking it through with me. Helps to have someone to bounce these things off of!

Archived