++From Hatred We Were Born, Creation of a 7.5 Chaos Codex++

Teetengee

GW is not on these forums, and if they were then they couldn't pull any ideas they happened to see due to copyright concerns.

The first is likely false (well assuredly false, if we care about more than just their rules team, although I am not sure we do). The second is a bit mixed, since game rules are not copyrightable in some countries, and since these rules are being presented in a public forum. It is a little different from the "can't look at rules submitted" scenario, as in this case it is a lot harder to prove that gw makes use of any one person's ideas. Plus, gw looking at the types of things we are asking for and incorporating something similar is probably the best we could hope for.

Personally, I am happy my friends let me use the rules I have worked out, so even if GW does nothing, at the least 1 gamer gains a benefit.

Personally, I am happy my friends let me use the rules I have worked out, so even if GW does nothing, at the least 1 gamer gains a benefit.

This is where the focus on house rules should be. Not pipe dreams of canonization, but simply establishing something that you can have fun with and your opponents will let you play.

I like your codexes. I've only played the first one once, but I've read them all. There is obviously a lot of effort put into them, not just the creativity, but the balance as well. Home brew tends to suffer from balance most of all, either it is done with game-breaking power levels, or it is over conservative, often as a reaction to the more common, over powerfulness of most home brews. Balance seems especially hard with chaos marine home brew, because of its similarities with loyalist, and it's current weakness in official rules. The weakness needs to be addressed, but it's wrong to simply mirror the loyalist.

The way I normally balance CSM with loyalist is done with playing on tables crowded with terrain, this helps a lot with one of our main problems, getting our assault oriented units into assault without them getting whittled down by shooting before they get there, but causes other problems, particularly with weakening the effectiveness of tanks and making our scattering deepstrikes more dangerous. Teetengee's codexes are a better solution for a more balanced game, and are also worth a look if you, like me, enjoy the whole army creation process. I've probably made a half dozen actual lists for the one I've played, and entertained myself with dozens of planned lists that I never got the calculator and notepad out for. The codexes are rich with potential.

I think you said earlier that your codexes were made in conjunction with those of other, possibly not B&C armies. Are your friends willing to let you link their codexes? It might make it easier to justify using your codexes again.

-snip-

I think you said earlier that your codexes were made in conjunction with those of other, possibly not B&C armies. Are your friends willing to let you link their codexes? It might make it easier to justify using your codexes again.

I will send a pm.

One of my friend's codices is actually B&C friendly, but isn't written in such a way as to not run afoul of GW/copywrite laws.

The other has separatist squats, amongst other things, but doesn't really qualify for B&C.

I have also done stuff for Crons and Nids, and even though the former is technically at a complete 1st version state, it has only been playtested once. But yeah, you can follow all that on dakka if you would like. I'll keep to the chaos stuff for this thread, and other human stuff (when I get there) will come to B&C when I get to it, though likely in a different thread.

Why is invulnerable saves a tzeentch thing anyway? They're most needed for melee duelists - khorne and slaanesh types. Restricting tolerable invulnerables to tzeentch is one of the fundamental problems with chaos design right now. Find something else for tzeentch to do.

Agree. I take it one step further and question why Nurgle's thing is toughness or shrouding. Sure, Plague Marines/Death Guard should be hard to remove compared to regular marines but I think an AoE buff/debuff system for MoN is infinitely more interesting and appropriate.

Nice job Teetengee.

Teetengee, any chance you could add a Wargear link on the left side shortcut bar for the Killers and Warriors codex?

The left side shortcut bar is automatically generated (as far as I can tell) by google docs. I'll see what I can do. If I remember properly, the Killers and Warriors codex has some broken links in it as well, at least on my end.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived