Vindicare Assassins for guard?

I know that Guard really benefit from having Vindicare assassins. I'm wondering how to employ them best, and given that my philosophy is two is one and one is none, would that be redundant and points inefficient or is it actually helpful to have 2 of them?

You really only need one. The problem with IG though, is that many basic arms do enough damage to guardsman that it doesn't matter as much that you smoked the tactical squad's plasmagun. Now, that being said, killing the occasional flamer or melta might deprive them of a means to best your army or even taking out a sergeant before hitting them with a few rounds of las, further lowering their leadership, might be great.

That's a good point. So his targets should be special and heavy weapons, what about his anti-tank rounds? Is he decent at taking out vehicles? Or would you use that for instagibbing multi-wound characters?

• Shield Breaker really shines against Eldar and Daemons.

Turbo Penetrator I've had a lot of success with (highlight being the killshot on a Reaver Titan), but against vehicles it's usually used to take off the last HP as quite often, there's something better to shoot at it. Against fleshies, you need to find something that has multiple wounds and no Invulnerable saves...

Honestly, I haven't used the Hellfire shell that much.

I use the hellfire shot the most, making it easier to take out the enemies force multipliers. For anti vehicle work, str 10 and ap 2 isn't enough to kill. Ap 2 just mean a kill on a pen roll of 6. It can be nice for stripping off the last hull point though.

Hellfire seems like it could be useful for taking that last wound off of a monstrous creature. The shield breaker, wounds on a 4, and denies inherent saves (armor and invuln) and the Spy mask denies cover, so he's gonna take it out. The Turbo Penetrator seems like it would be good for taking out characters and skimmers.

Am I on track or am I way off base?

Personally I use the Vindicare as an anti special/heavy/sergent weapon.  It excells at this especially as his rules have been clarified in an updae. its also good for hitting bikes (eldar jet bikes lookin at you) and strippin last hull points off of nasty vehicles... also if taken in mutiples they become a larger threat to any unit.

• 2 weeks later...
Yea before there was a problem with the wording of his deadshot rule that caused many to argue that he couldn't select his target. That was updated to a much clearer wording to make sure you could select your target model

That depends on the board, really. He needs line of sight - the range and infiltrate mean that its usually best to find a tall tower to stick him on, preferably with a wall rather than a railing.

• 2 weeks later...

Last I used a Vindicare was with Sisters of Battle against Necrons, and he spent the whole time shooting at my opponent's Doomsday Arks. He nuked one over three turns (Not great rolling on my part, and Quantum Shielding is fething irksome), but then nuked the other in one shot. So that was fun.

You would take a Vindicare Assassin (or any other assassin) in a Guard army not to reduce the amount of casualties your guardsmen take but to have an elite soldier that can apply his talents wherever they are needed on any given turn. I've toyed with assassins in Guard lists in the past and I can say that they make sense when you have some enemy unit that MUST die immediately, or you are outmanoeuvred and need point source power to compensate for it right away.

A good example of this might be sniping a Farseer on a Bike, or taking out a Land Raider that's shrugging off your other attacks.

Yeah, considering my force is focused on airborne tactics, I really want something that can add a lot of value to my shooting. I play Airborne stormtroopers, and it's really vexing to not have big killy guns on the table, and my only real source of artillery is the master of ordnance so that tends to make my CCS a big target. Melta guns are really the only big vehicle killer I have, so having something else that can do it is nice. It's just a matter of figuring out how best to position him for maximum effect.

Archived