IL X - The Fire Keepers

Demus Ragnok

I'm now imagining the awkwardness when Niklaas has to remove his helmet and fiddle with his beard.

(Alex and Icarion smoothly twist off helmets)

Niklaas: ah, just give me a moment

(Turns around, hands helmet to equerry, sounds of clearing throat and muted curses)

(Hand snaps out, clicks fingers)

Niklaas: comb.

(Alex and Icarion shuffle awkwardly and take a sudden interest in their own boots)

Niklaas: (turns around, beard resplendent) right, where were we?

While we're on the subject of aesthetic, will the Fire Keepers be using that dwarven, round edge but sharp angles look generally? It's kinda fitting with the Hebrew names thing; it turns out Tolkien intended the Dwarves as very much a "Semitic" people.

And (hopefully) one last thing... does the hammer have a name? If not, I humbly suggest Ebenahum, a jamming together of "stone" and "breaker".

Edited by bluntblade

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s565/nick_buchanan1/image.jpg1_zpszenpgtym.jpg

This was the idea I had for Niks helmet. His armor is rather bland, unadorned and functional, it is simply primarch sized Cataphractii plate. He has heavy flamers build into his vambraces and he carries a revolver called "Peacemaker", that fires phosphex filled heavy bolter rounds.

His hammer is called The Redeemer. It is in the shape of an actual war hammer. With a "toothed" striking face and a large curved spike on the reverse. It is made from material that has the appearance of flint or black glass.

The helmets of Corinthian pattern armor would be similar. I intend to use grey knight helms if I ever convert any. The shoulder plates are also similar to grey knights. The only time I ever really described them was as being " hunched backed and thick limbed" or something like that. Think "up armored" Indomitus terminator plate.

Any dwarfish aesthetic that finds its way into the Fire Keepers has my full support.

Edited by Demus Ragnok

He's a master smith, and Dwarven looking stuff would be good-looking but more utilitarian than what the Bears use (whilst also standing out from the Salamanders and Iron Hands). So not exactly ornate, but clearly the work of a man who takes pride in his craftsmanship.

Maybe you could elements of the Gorgon pattern?

Do we have a Legion warcry?

Edited by bluntblade

I had forgotten about the Gorgons. They just don't get me there for some reason can't put a finger on it really.

I must try to do a sketch of a Corinthian terminator. Not that there are many of them around.

I like the idea of adding the dwarf styling to Mk III helms for the legion.

A war cry. Ash and dust.

Having looked again, they have that hunched look but I agree. What it probably is is that they are the epitome of the Iron Hands look, whereas the Fire Keepers should be their own thing.

I like that warcry.

Hmmm

Everything burns is a formidable warcry. Think of the sight when a squad with heavy flamers is advancing amd they shout "everything burns" i bet there will be alot of wet pants.^^

But "ash and dust" is evil as well. Somehow reminds me of "ashes to ashes, dust to dust"

"...the people of this world have spurned our offer of brotherhood. They have called us thieves and brigands and my father a petty tyrant."

"They do not see the wisdom that is a united humanity standing together against the horrors of the void."

"Those that reject brotherhood with humanity are not worthy to be called human. And those that are not human are not worthy of existence."

"Go forth my sons, where their is flesh on this world leave nought but ash and where any thing built by hands of men stands leave nought but dust."

His legion answered, "ASH AND DUST, ASH AND DUST, ASH AND DUST."

• 3 weeks later...