IL X - The Fire Keepers

Demus Ragnok

I'm thinking a big orbital. You know the first big battle in Path of Heaven? I'm thinking that sort of scale.

Then they'll pretty much be stuck on its exterior surface or hangar bays.

I may have to leave them out for the sake of plausibility. Niklaas would probably consider them inefficient for the task if he had Dreadnoughts and Cybernetica at his disposal.

Toho can turn up some other time. If I write an exemplary involving Squiggoths and it's feasible for the Scions to be there, so will Toho

I used Toho and Gojira to create an ambush for an Ork fleet in canon 'verse.

Stationed on Asteroids, they waited there until the enemies fleet was in the right stop, unleashing their fury upon them, while ships of my Storm Riders chapter engaged them from all sides.

Just my 2 cents of thought about what role they could potentially play.

• 3 weeks later...

The figure on the throne trembled, aetheric power coursing through his body. Distortion rippled across his visage betraying a wasted mortal form beneath an illusion of vitality.

“I”, said an unspoken voice, “am the god of this world.”

The giant said nothing for a long moment. He looked down at the hammer in his hand.

The otherworldly stone shimmered, glowing with an inward light.

He slacked his grip, letting the haft slide through his hand until he suddenly took hold again and lifted the weapon. Pointing it at the figure on the throne.

Then he spoke. His voice was as soft as a breeze yet filled the entire hall with the pressure of a coming tempest.

“If you’re god.”

“Then god’s dead.”

So I've musing on the Ember Host.

Drowned under command of Hennasohn had fought beside the Fire Keepers at some point in the past. The similarity between the Charonic Seekers and the Stormwall Terminators stems from this time.

Niklaas was not with the legion long before the Ember Host is garrisoned on Untara.

Korah Izhar, Fulcrum Prime of the Ember Host, is initially dutiful and resolute. Over time his primarch's attitude toward psykers, the dissolution of the legion librarius, and time chip away his loyalty. The familiar face of Hennasohn, the lack of a relationship with the Scions, and bitterness make it all to easy for Korah to give his loyalty to Icarion's cause. To restore the imperium that he and those earliest Astartes like him had fought to lay the foundations of.

But, What if there is more to Niklaas assigning some of his legions most experienced psyker to garrison Untara. What if he wasn't simple casting witches from his sight? What if there was more to the Crucible of Embers than just a prison for Korah and his brothers?

What if the depths of Untara Prime hold more than just precious fuel?

And Korah Izhar missed it.

Stop writing in riddles!!!

Tell me more!!!

Could it be that beneath the surface the planet is imploding and Niklaas knew it? That he would kill his sons for beeing psyker in such a ruthless manner?

• 4 weeks later...
Damn, I forgot all about the Exemplary Battle. So, applying Fire Keepers tactics to void warfare, lots of big guns being used to carve out openings, followed by lots of dropships? Rapiers might be pretty useful in that context if Niklaas opts to hold and build up his bridgeheads, before advancing

• 3 weeks later...

Looking back at the Battle of Kalium in Path of Heaven, the Keystone (largest station/main keep of the installation) is large enough that the White Scars are full-on landing tanks - Land Raiders and Sicarans - on the docking plates. So if we just have a station of comparable size, Knights could be justified after all. Even if it's not workable for them to be Toho, Niklaas might deploy some along with Warhound and Reaver Titans.

Question is, who do we want occupying this station? We've probably had enough Orks.

An alien race which venerates the station as the home of their gods.

They themselves were the creation of said gods (Old Ones maybe?). This xenos race is spread across the galaxy but its population is dwindling. That's why no one has ever encountered them previously. Nowadays, they look for a way of replenishing their numbers / trying to restart the giant portal, hoping that their gods might return.

• 1 month later...

Demus, what gun(s?) does Niklaas wield?

A large revolver style hand gun called Peacemaker with a variety of shells including phosphex.

And a thermal weapon system built into his armor that can be either a broad template for clearing infantry or a beam or punching heavy armor.

• 1 month later...

PM'd this to Demus, but thought I might as well raise the issue in the thread itself.

Had an idea about Odyssalas exploring the ship he's travelling to Terra on and meeting a stray girl in the serf/slave/menial (select ethical shade of your choice) an it raises several questions.

- Whose ship should it be? Guessing not Anath's; perhaps Thirgen's or a Chapter Master equivalent

- Would the fleet have been attacked by the Insurrectionists? Plan so far is that the girl would have been orphaned in the ambush

- What sort of society exists in the guts of a X Legion warship? What's the makeup of the personnel, and how much interest do the Fire Keepers take in those below decks?

- Any ideas for what to call the ship? I'm wondering about a name that invokes witch-burning

And a question I originally forgot: what should Anath look like? Obviously with extensive augmetics, but beyond that?

Edited by bluntblade

I like this idea.

Ship was Chief Captain (insert Hebrew-ish name here) flagship. He is now deceased.

This fleet is the remnant of Tribe Barinthus, they were hit hard in the ambush plantside. Their fleet faired better but did suffer casualties.

There would be mostly Obsailans serving on Legion ships. There is a marked gender gap in their culture. Men are tasked with more front line tasks and women fill most support roles. Men are soldiers, doctors, mechanics etc. Women are nurses, cooks, clerks etc.

"Owning" servants is allowed in Obsailan society but there are very strict laws governing such. There are no life long slaves. Children born to a servant are not the property of the "master", but must be provided for until they are of age. At such time they must be given fair wage or passage to another House.

These things will obviously cause problems with crew members from differing backgrounds.

The Legion maintains branches on the grapevine. Listening to the gossip and rumors coming from their human crews. Seldom acting directly but willing to go to great lengths to maintain discipline and order.

Two things get legionaries involved with crew affairs directly, deaths caused by violence wether intentional or not, and any crime against a woman or child.

Killing of kindred is a mortal sin to Obsailans.

Something like stumbling into a pregnant woman causeing her or her unborn child injury will get you stuffed in a sack by a space marine, beaten against a bulkhead and jettisoned out an airlock with the trash.

Reading strange books or anything that even remotely smells like something a witch might think about doing will get you a visit from a legion chaplain.

Im stumped on a ship name. Maybe something with Furnace in it. Or sword something or other. A silver sword is heraldry of Tribe Barinthus.

Anath, I've never pictured him without his helm. Maybe he is like Vader, can't go without it. Maybe not.

He carries a sword (paragon blade) rather than a maul or hammer like many chaplains.

He is a Chaplain Sovereign, which makes him equal to a praetor in rank.

Calm. Quiet. And simply intimidating.

With a skulllish helmet and black-trimmed armour, very Vaderesque. How would he regard Pionus? In the overall structure of the Imperium Pionus outranks him, but any men he currently has will be deep in the Red Dream (having been fished out by the Fire Keepers anyway).

After serious losses, would it be possible for an orphaned child to end up effectively fending for themselves, besides doing whatever work they're set to?