Ordo Necros <-> Ordo Thanatos

Ok this topic is driving me crazy for like a year now. What is the purpose of each Ordo? All I can get from Codices and Internet is that they both got something "Death" related in their names and that's it. Somebody HAS to know what's the difference between the two Ordos or which of them is assigned with the subject of death in general. I got an appropriate Inquisitor conversion in the pipeline and really need to know which Ordo he finally will be assigend to.

Hm. I might give it a chance and write GW an email. Sadly the digital version of the Codex Inq doesn't tell anything about who wrote it. Anyone has an idea? Maybe I could adress the author directly...

I'm unaware of anything more, I'm pretty sure they've never been mentioned before or if they had in name only. They may well be one of those things that is never fleshed out confused.gif

Well I'm ok with some Ordos that will never be fleshed out, but the combination of death and the Inquisition really is a thrill to me. For me it's almost impossible that these both Ordos share this area of vigilance. So I really need to know which one is on the case and which one is not. Anyway, I wrote BL an email and hope they're willing to help me with this (unlikely).

It's possible that they do the same or a very similar thing, there's more than enough competition and rivalry within the Inquisition to accommodate some toe stepping in role. Could be more interesting for it if so, like the other different interpretations elements of the Inquisition have. Maybe they're complete opposites and one is trying to stop the other, or perhaps they differ on only a couple of points and are essentially competing for the same goal? Lots of scope as with most Inquisition things smile.png

It's worth a shot trying to find out, worst that can happen is they reply with the expected non-answer. If that is the case, you could always come up with your own ideas thumbsup.gif

It's possible that they do the same or a very similar thing, there's more than enough competition and rivalry within the Inquisition to accommodate some toe stepping in role. Could be more interesting for it if so, like the other different interpretations elements of the Inquisition have. Maybe they're complete opposites and one is trying to stop the other, or perhaps they differ on only a couple of points and are essentially competing for the same goal? Lots of scope as with most Inquisition things smile.png

It's worth a shot trying to find out, worst that can happen is they reply with the expected non-answer. If that is the case, you could always come up with your own ideas thumbsup.gif

Yeah I'm gonna post their answer here anyway. I already had some thoughts on this subject on my own.

I came up with two theories:

1. Ordo Thanatos deals with everything related to the exact phenomenon of death of mortal beings. Ordo Necros is assigned to death in a more general way, meaning the end of all times (e.g. end of the Imperium of Man or end of the milky way galaxy) and factors that evoke this (thanks to 4chan for this inspiration).

2. Ordo Thanatos deals with everything related to the exact phenomenon of death of mortal beings. Ordo Necros is assigned to all kinds of acts contrary to this ("Necromancy") like the foul practice of Anima Mori, vampirism due to possession and such.

I hope for the second theory to be true, though this might contradict the Ordo Sepulturum.

There was a study done a few years ago about whether humans have souls or not. I'm not sure why this study was performed because a "soul" does not fit into the scientific criteria. Anyway, they measured the weight of the patient and all sorts of other things and then tried to figure out what happened when he died. Nothing was conclusive in that study but, then again, nothing would be period. I figure that's what the Ordo Thanatos is about: trying to figure out what information Mankind has lost about the state of being dead. Think about it: this is one of the areas of the life cycle that we know the least about. How much could they have discovered during the Golden Age?

I figure the Ordo Necros is about the study, and use of, Necromancy to divine the future of events/questions. Well, that's what Necromancy is all about anyway, but, eh, still. I would like to believe they are the damned studying damned things. If I was to be an Inquisitor, this would be one of my areas of study. Maybe I'd be in the Ordo Occulata- studying all manner of occult things. It's what I do now so no jump there. Yay for day jobs!

There was a study done a few years ago about whether humans have souls or not. I'm not sure why this study was performed because a "soul" does not fit into the scientific criteria. Anyway, they measured the weight of the patient and all sorts of other things and then tried to figure out what happened when he died. Nothing was conclusive in that study but, then again, nothing would be period. I figure that's what the Ordo Thanatos is about: trying to figure out what information Mankind has lost about the state of being dead. Think about it: this is one of the areas of the life cycle that we know the least about. How much could they have discovered during the Golden Age?

I figure the Ordo Necros is about the study, and use of, Necromancy to divine the future of events/questions. Well, that's what Necromancy is all about anyway, but, eh, still. I would like to believe they are the damned studying damned things. If I was to be an Inquisitor, this would be one of my areas of study. Maybe I'd be in the Ordo Occulata- studying all manner of occult things. It's what I do now so no jump there. Yay for day jobs!

Thanks. Always nice to hear other opinions on topics like that. Also very interesting to hear about that study though it didn't bring anything to light (of course). You sound like a like-minded person. :) I would love some kind of Inquisitor assigned to the study of Necromancy and Occultism though these fields are hard to determine with things like the warp and chaos floating around. Now we only need to know what you do for a living... :D

Sadly, BL replied just like I expected:

Hi Tim,

This is a tricky one as our authors have a certain level of artistic licensing to use in the novels and back story of each work they have influence over.
Essentially you can use either and which ever has caught your eye the most as neither is incorrect and tells a story in its self.

We could send this onto our author but we will likely not get a response as they have a tight schedule to keep and are always in the zone when writing there novels, letting creative juices flow is key to getting the best from them.
We are also unable to give you the contact details of our authors due to confidentiality laws.

I hope this helps.

Isn't the fluff behind the Necrons souls transferred to metal bodies?

Could Necros be a study of this?

It could be. I wouldn't think Mankind would have that information of what happened 65 million years ago.

Could just be study of the Necrons in general.

That said, 'crons have (or at least had in the oldcron days) a habit of decorating their buildings with their histories.

In my mind, the study of the foul, xenos Necrons would fall under the purview of whoever is watching out for Abominable Intelligence and the like. Well, we can rest happy knowing it's under the watchful eye of the Adeptus Mechanicus unsure.png.

But, hey, who knows? My fluff isn't canon. Not yet...msn-wink.gif

Well, we know that at least one Ordo Xenos inquisitor has a friendly rivalry with a particularly devious Necron Overlord.

You know, the sort of thing where they exchange letters thinly disguised as assassination attempts to each other.

Archived