Need help coming up with a 1000pt word bearers.

xxoblivionxx33

Hey B&C, 

my friends and I are going to be starting up HH at 1000pts and we've each chosen separate legions. I have chosen the Word Bearers. I want to continue with the league but for the life of me can not come up with a 1000pt list so i can place my order and get cracking on painting it up. Starting a 30k army isn't cheap and if i can't decide on anything i won't order for the sake of ordering. Any help would be appreciated as i feel in over my head with this . 

Thanks

Definitely take advantage of the bundles FW offers, as they actually do save you cash with something like a 10-15% discount on everything included. They have a few that get you 20 marines or so with a standard bearer and commander-style figure. That's a great place to start, as it'll give you two 10-man tactical squads and a Centurion/Praetor for some 4-500 points. 

Up front, I can name some fun and somewhat more competitive units that can fit into a variety of lists. Definitely consider getting some Gal Vorbak, not just because the models are maybe some of the best resin ever to be seen but on the table they can be a devastating close combat unit. After that, for some heavier firepower you might want to grab a Deredeo Dreadnought with Anvilus Autocannons, a Sicaran tank of any flavor, or maybe a Laser Destroyer Vindicator. Any combination of maybe 2-3 of the above should do you reasonably well and get you to around the 1000 point mark. 

EDIT: Oh, don't forget, you need a Centurion or Chaplain due to the Charismatic Leadership rule on top of your standard HQ unit. If you do get one of the bundles that includes a command set, one option would be to assemble the standard bearer as one of those instead. It might be wise to grab a power weapon set so you can kit them out however you want. It's up to you.

how do the ashen circle perform? 

I was thinking that tac marines are the best way to go , i just don't want to flood myself into a situation where i don't have the points to really deal with armour after i flush out the hq and troops. 

how are terminators? i was kind of wanting a terminator praetor and some dudes to go with him

Right off the top make note that you will need at least 2 characters in your 30K proper lists for Word Bearers, so thats a chunk of points right there. I personally think Kor Phaeron and Erebus make great leaders, and the models can stand in until you build others. Erebus actually fills both a Leader role as Master of the Legion and a Chaplain, and is great in my games regardless.

My tables got a Diabolist, a Moritat, and in a pot of simple green, a Jet Bike that will be a Praetor but you can never have enough characters in 30K. :]

After that, at 1000 points I would start with 1 x 20 Marines, your Chaplain and another leader (Praetor is huge bang for the buck but you have tons of character options) and then just look at what you want to build towards.

I totally get you though, as I had many starts and stops, and resets, before falling into my Word Bearers completely.

1. What other Leaders do you want.

2. What would you like to build towards eventually.

I think 20 Bolter Marines + Chaplain is a given. After that you probably want another 10 (so get the 30 Bundle Pack) some conversion sets, Gal Vorbak, and a Spartan. Thats probably 1000 right there. tongue.png

EDIT: If you want to deal with Armour as well, 10 Support Tacticals with Melta's is a very very common choice around here.

I wouldn't recommend Terminators too highly. If you want them assaulting, they often require heavy investment in the form of expensive transports. We have access to better assault units in the form of Gal Vorbak anyway, who at least have the option of Deep Striking if you can't afford a Spartan for them.

Ashen Circle are kind of over-costed, as are pretty much all jump infantry in 30k. They really shine if you run a list with Zardu Layak, who opens up Dark Channeling and the ability to take them as compulsory troops. We should see Zardu's model getting released in the next month or so too, so there's that. Highly highly highly recommend picking him up or converting a Zardu counts-as at some point, as his ability to pick his psychic powers and use Malefic powers without risk as a Daemon will open up some effective and characterful list-building choices for you.

as for the league, we have a restriction, no unit can be above 300 pts and no named characters currently until we up the points. 

If a praetor goes with gal vorbrak, does he get to deep strike as well? 

As for the chaplain, why him over a diabolist? And if i use the word bearers legion, isn't a diabolist mandatory? Also in 30k style, how do you convert chaplains and diabolists?

as for the league, we have a restriction, no unit can be above 300 pts and no named characters currently until we up the points.

If a praetor goes with gal vorbrak, does he get to deep strike as well?

As for the chaplain, why him over a diabolist? And if i use the word bearers legion, isn't a diabolist mandatory? Also in 30k style, how do you convert chaplains and diabolists?

Can't confer Deep Strike, unfortunately sad.png

It's the Chaplain that's normally mandatory, or a plain Centurion (due to the Charismatic Leadership rule). Diabolists become mandatory only if you use the Word Bearers Rite of War, which not a lot of people do due to its restrictiveness. You can represent a Chaplain pretty easily in 30k, as basically anyone who inspires the troops in an assault. You could grab the Erebus figure and just run him as a regular Chaplain if you wanted to, or just convert a regular dude with some extra scrolls or decals that make him stand out as a Dark Apostle or something.

also, why tac marines over assault marines?

Assault marines are crazy expensive points-wise in 30k. Just 10 plain assault marines is already a quarter of your points, and they don't get the awesome Fury of the Legion rule either. Instead you can have Tacticals replace their bolters with chainswords and load them in a Rhino, kit out their sergeant, and it's still less points. That unit can still Fury of the Legion with its pistols before it charges too....

A Diabolist is not mandatory a Chaplain nearly is as part of your Astartes Rules. See 'Charismatic Leadership'

Tacs over Assault because Assault Marines are EXPENSIVE at 10 bodies, while Tacs at 20 bodies are dirt cheap, in terms of Points.

EDIT: Ninjas...

Fury of the legion is pretty sweet.  The derideo is really neat also. I read that twin kheres mortis dreads are sweet as well. Does anybody have any experience with them? at 1000 pts if foot slogging also an option or should i do 10 man squads in rhinos as opposed to a 20 man and a 10

I would go with:

Centurion (he can be promoted to Praetor in larger ganes)

Chaplain

10 man squad in Rhino

15-20 man foot sloggers

5 Gal Vorbak

A cool vehicle (Contemptors, Deredeos, Vindicator Laser Destroyers and Sicaran tanks are all great - I would pick which ever you like the look of best)

Depending on the vehicle, this comes to the 900-950 points meaning you can spend the remainder on cool gear, possibly combat weapons for the large squad or artificer are our and power weapons for squad leaders, possibly burning lore for the characters. Or even an Apothecary for the large squad!

The Centurion and Chaplain can go with the large squad or be split between that squad and the Gal Vorbak. The mounted Tactical Squad gives some mobility for grabbing objectives whilst your vehicle provides firepower and makes a cool centre piece for the force.

Hol Beloth is a bit of a dark horse. He's only 165 points (his gear alone should see him cost 190) and he has 6 master-crafted power fist attacks on the charge - not too shabby. He also works nicely as a support HQ, as his "Exhortation of Battle" and "Hexaglyphic Ward" rules work regardless of him being the Warlord.

He'll buff ordinary Tactical Marines into decent combatants once per game - pretty powerful at low points levels!

Yeah I think our characters are fairly solid, as mentioned Erebus has been a beast for me. I really like Captain Taelos' list personally, would be advice I would have followed if starting over!

My play style is *extremely* aggressive, so my wargear choices are influenced by that. On the HQ choices I'd give both artificer armour and melta bombs and give the Centurion a boarding shield. Chaplain gets a power axe and the centurion a power fist if you can afford it.

If you're worried about armour 14 *and* flyers (and covering all bases is always sensible), then the Mortis with lascannons or a basic Deredeo with Anvilus Autocannons will both be good. Obviously the lascannons have AP2 for that chance of exploding, but the Deredeo gets extra shots with sunder. Personally I'd go Deredeo as I really like the model, but I know it's not to everyone's taste.

Given you've got a 300 point unit limit, you're not facing any Spartans with flare Shields and any armour 14 vehicles you face should be heading straight for you (if they're not, you can probably ignore them). You can strip a few hull points with your Dreadnought guns and then finish them off with a good dose of melta bombs.

So with all your input, this list comes to 995. 

Praetor, 
- artificer armor

- power weapon

Chaplain

- artificer armour 

- power weapon

10 man marines, 

- rhino

15 man marines

5 gal vorbrak

deredeo

nvm , this won't work, 400 pts of the 1000 has to be troops.  

Archived