Need help coming up with a 1000pt word bearers.

xxoblivionxx33

Missed the post about no Special Characters sorry. Your list is pretty close to what you need! Try this:

Centurion, power fist, AA, melta bombs, boarding shield. 95

Centurion, Chaplain (power axe), AA, melta bombs, refractor field. 110

10 Tactical Marines, Vexilla, melta bombs, Rhino. 200

15 Tactical Marines, Nuncio-vox. 210

5 Gal Vorbak

Deredeo

1000 exactly. This gets you melta bombs everywhere, a nice solid blob of Tacticals (with defensive grenades from the Centurion and Zealot from the Chaplain) and a Rhino full of Tacticals that can move around where you need them (Vexilla is there for piece-of-mind). The Deredeo and Gal Vorbak are just awesome too. Also, I put a Nuncio-vox on the Tactical blob to give the Gak Vorbak an accurate Deep Strike option.

Screening them with Marines won't do a lot as they are Daemons and therefore have a 5+ Invulnerable save, which is the same as the Cover save the Marines will provide.

At 1000 points, you don't have any great options. This is why I suggested Deep Striking them in near your Tactical blob when you are ready for them. Another option is moving the Nuncio-vox to the 10-man Tacticals as they can rush forward in the Rhino, putting the Gal Vorbak where you want them. This will be a Turn 3 Assault at best though.

The list Cailum posted looks very solid to me! I would experiment in games with the Gal Vorbak. I'd be tempted to rush everyone ("what do you mean everyone?" "I mean EVERYONE") forwards at the same time - sure you'll take casualties, but it sounds like your opponents are going the 'elite' route, meaning a smaller number of guns, meaning some of your boys will make it. If either the Gal Vorbak or your unit with the characters gets into combat, most enemy units will have issues.

Definitely give deep striking a go as well, this might be a better option if your board is very sparse terrain wise. Careful of interceptor though!

Although I think a dread or deredeo is a solid choice, also look at maybe a sicaran as a bit or armour. It will come in at about the same points cost but has a better range than a contemptor with kheres, all be it with less shots (however the sicaran is twin linked), has rending and can chuck some lascanons on it too. Also being fast means it can fire and keep up with your advancing troops to offer a higher threat target for your opponents. Sure you loose interceptor and skyfire but I doubt you will see any flyers at 1000points and the contemptor would have to move to get into range anyway so likely not able to intercept first few turns.

I think a sicaran at 1000 gives a little more threat however would come down to personal choice

I tried a game with that list against IF, 

the deredeo got shot off the board. He was running a whirlwind and sicarian, 

Id be curious to try out both of those as they seem pretty awesome 

They are. You'll see them alot. The Deredeo gains majoy points with its Anti-Air and being able to shoot 2 Different Units; one of which can be out of LoS and up to 60" Away.

vorbak seemed to do ok, i really enjoyed the assault phase, i think i may do world eaters to an assault based army, due to bad rolling the vorbak got eaten by a praetors ap2 eventually. they decimated a unit of templars though 

the tac marines got eaten up as well

So i played the game today. The mortis' were the all stars. 

The opponents list was a Night lords list that consisted of assault marines and raptors.  He lost combat against one of my tac blobs and due to the re rolling of ones, had his men run down. 

The Mortis' moved together in a pair and ate up the raptors. 

It was a very enjoyable game and i very much think the mortis' are awesome. 

• 2 weeks later...

You chose possibly one of the cheapest legions. 
Which is cool if you're strapped. 

You can easily build 1-1500pts and then fill out the rest with daemon allies. 

I would suggest something like 

Erebus(my fav until Zandu comes out) 

Chaplin 

5 Gal Vor

20 Marines with bolters

10 Assault Marines (make these the diabolist unit)

Archived