The SamStar (DA deathstar unit)

depthcharge12

Yeah, check out the 2k Batrep I posted to read a little bit about the Dark Shroud. My personal MVP of the game. The other advantage apart from being a bullet sponge and increase in cover is the denial of Overwatch, which has been massive for me and essentially won me the game.

Irony is I have taken this exact "Star" for most of the last year. Along with 2-3 ImpKnights. WITHOUT being rerollable this is beastly (add a RW Banner for auto Hit+Run too). I'm happy that it's been buffed (I had shelved the DS recently due to its being targeted so often and it's AV10, 2HP isn't all that survivable even with a 2+ cover given the prevelance of ignores cover str 6+.

Still, this is a nasty unit that just got nastier (don't forget Shrouding is a psychic power, also Night Fight, and the Strategic WL trait "Dust of a Thousand Worlds" that gives Stealth Ruins all can be a substitute for a DS or used after a DS is focused down).

Another problem with the Ravenwing rule is that there is a fair amount of Ignores Cover out there.  If you take an all Ravenwing list you will probably overwhelm your opponent, but if you only take a couple of Ravenwing units, then Ignores Cover can negate your advantage.

If you do run a full Ravenwing army, then you need to get into assault.  You can do it while jinking and BKs are deadly in CC.  Even a regular RW unit can do some damage in CC with a properly equipped Vet Sarge. 

In the famous words of the Primarch:

"Flank 'em, and spank 'em"

Congratulations depthcharge, you just sold me on a Darkshroud.

Darkshrouds are the bomb.

I would just bear in mind that as cool as it is to re-roll your jink. It doesn't increase your offensive power, which if you ask me is the prime reason you want Black Knights.

Consider the following:

Assuming we are running the RW detachment with Sammael and our 2 FA being a RWCS and a Darkshroud, we can assume that they are invoking the Speed of the Raven rule and Turbo boosting. This means that on turn 1, sure, you're able to re-roll your jink, but you're forgoing firing completely to shoot in the second turn. That's a pretty situational decision.

Alternatively, if you have 1st turn, you can Scout->Shoot-> Jink if need be in your opponent's shooting phase, and then move/fire/Snapshot in your second turn.

While that unit you mentioned will probably be pretty common, I wouldn't overestimate the Ravenwing ability. It does have its drawbacks.

I'd also note that with clever placement you don't even have to jink.

Sequence:

Move

Shoot

Turbo-Boost Darkshroud IN FRONT of Sammael & CO

At this point you don't even need to jink as you're getting a 5+ cover from the obscuring Darkshroud, and a +1 from the Stealth it's providing. Let them shoot the Darkshroud all they want.

This.  Every shot at a support unit like the Darkshroud is a shot that isn't being fired at a more important unit.  With 3 HP it should soak a bit of damage that would otherwise hit a unit that is far more dangerous to your opponent.  It's a targeting quandry.  Shoot the LSD and you aren't shooting my bikes/speeders.  Shoot the bikes/speeders and you aren't hitting them effectively becasue of the LSD.  In an RWSS that thing is wicked.

Why not add a couple of Land Speeders and make it a support squadron?  Now your Darkshroud has 2+ jinking landspeeders to absorb shots, and they can provide heavy flamer overwatch to anybody who tries to charge the command squad.

In the famous words of the Primarch:

"Flank 'em, and spank 'em"

Congratulations depthcharge, you just sold me on a Darkshroud.

Always a good day to help out Ser Ulfgrim the Unbeliever :P

Not half as cheesy as you can possibly get.

Sammael

RWCS x6

Company Banner 

Apothecary

Darkshroud

Conclave Formation

5x Iron Hands Librarians on Bikes with Meltabombs

Clan Raukaan Detachment 

Iron Hands Chapter Master with Gorgon's Chain, Bike, Artificer, Power Fist, Auspex, Meltabomb

Iron Hands CM tanks any incoming Ignores Cover fire on a 2+, 2++, 3+ FNP and 5+ IWND.   

Unit can power up with Invisibility or other various psychic buffs or split up to hunt MSU.  

Sammael

RWCS x6

Company Banner 

Apothecary

Darkshroud

Conclave Formation

Clan Raukaan Detachment 

Iron Hands Chapter Master with Gorgon's Chain, Bike, Artificer, Power Fist, Auspex, Meltabomb

Iron Hands CM tanks any incoming Ignores Cover fire on a 2+, 2++, 3+ FNP and 5+ IWND.   

Unit can power up with Invisibility or other various psychic buffs or split up to hunt MSU.  

Now, that's my kinda cheese...right along the lines of the 50 man conscript blob from hell.  Give them Zeke for +1A.  Give them Azzy for 4++.  Give them a GKL to make the 4++ a 3++ AND give them S5.  Give them a priest to reroll to hit (on the charge) and wound.  3 point models with 3 S5 attacks rerolling to hit and wound on the charge with a 3++.  And you have 50 of them...

I am still neutral on this incarnation of the Darkshroud relative to its predecessor. 

Pros-

* Deny overwatch if you intend to charge

Cons - 

* Range reduced from 12" bubble to 6" bubble in 7th edition codex. Smaller range, more bunching

* Loss to previous bonus to combat resolution. Nice "unit breaker" assistance if you were planning on getting those BWK into combat.

Probably a wash either way but for similar points I am really missing the old Banner of Fortitude. I would take a always works 5+ FNP additional save on a T5 unit than a bump to cover that requires me to jinx any day. 

Sammael

RWCS x6

Company Banner

Apothecary

Darkshroud

Conclave Formation

Clan Raukaan Detachment

Now, that's my kinda cheese...right along the lines of the 50 man conscript blob from hell. Give them Zeke for +1A. Give them Azzy for 4++. Give them a GKL to make the 4++ a 3++ AND give them S5. Give them a priest to reroll to hit (on the charge) and wound. 3 point models with 3 S5 attacks rerolling to hit and wound on the charge with a 3++. And you have 50 of them...

Zeke's bubble doesn't buff non-Dark Angels btw.

Think bigger, take a libby conclave on bikes and roll on telepathy for invis. If you use regular marines then you can give the libby shield eternal as well. Invisible 2+ reroll cover with 4+ fnp, or with gorgons chain and raukkan you get invisible 2+ cover refillable with 2+ fnp

Was already thinking ofmdustingnoff RWBK boxes and old RW squad box to get them ready. Now may even breakdown and get a DarkShroud. My dealer is gonna love me. Just dropped money on an IK just cause it looked cool and thought I would provide some air over with it. Now codex, IC, data cards, DarkShroud.

My wallet is screaming or is that the wife?????

Never Forget! Never Forgive!

Praise the Sun Emperor, this is a great place for me to start off buying stuff. Haven't seen the main Ravenwing formation though, is this codex?

Good Idea. I will simply add, that by taking Lion Blade + Ravenwing Strike Force you can attach demi-company chaplain on bike to this squad. And I will take one RWGL for additional -1WS -1I for enemies. Now our Ravenwing command squad not only tough and shoots good, but wreck faces in melee, while demi-company provide us with some objective secured units.

Combined arms is so good and beautiful in new codex, I love it.

Praise the Sun Emperor, this is a great place for me to start off buying stuff. Haven't seen the main Ravenwing formation though, is this codex?

This is simply a standard unit you can make in a CaD. The Ravenwing rules are rock solid

Or vakc up the Sammstar with RW Strike Force compsoed of...

Darkshroud, and 3 speeders each with typhoon launcher and multi-melta. Sorta pricey, but that's a lot of heavy firepower, and there is no flier that will not be wary of an Interceptor unit that can put out 6 krak missles and 3 heavy bolter/ 4 assault cannon shots.  Andall members of this supporting Formation have the Strafing Run rule, so...

"When shooting Assault, Heavy, Rapid Fire or Salvo weapons at Artillery, Beasts, Bikes, Cavalry, Infantry, Monstrous Creatures and vehicles without the Flyer or Skimmer type, this vehicle has + 1 Ballistic Skill."

So, Sammstar shoots/assaults something just asking to be killed, while this Formation plays "guardian angel" and hammers the snot out of anything nearby that could counter-assault or otherwise threaten the Sammstar.

This is simply a standard unit you can make in a CaD. The Ravenwing rules are rock solid

Guess I'll be using those formations as a shopping list then.

Watch out for triple Vindicators. No Jink, No FnP, No Armour save, incredibly small chance of scattering off the deathstar, only Sammy gets to live if he's not at the front tanking wounds on his 4++.

I'm loving the cheddar flavour though ;)

Watch out for triple Vindicators. No Jink, No FnP, No Armour save, incredibly small chance of scattering off the deathstar, only Sammy gets to live if he's not at the front tanking wounds on his 4++.

I'm loving the cheddar flavour though ;)

That is the reason you want drop pods with Meltas and a few MM attack bikes ;)

I ALWAYS reserve Vindies, keeps them safe until they unleash the pain on anything out to 30" now more with the HUGE 16" Diameter Apoc blast. I took them for area denial and a bit of mid game killing, now they are simply brutal to anything that uses jink saves. Like them dirty xenos.

Feel free to stay on the other side of the table until the Vindies show up ;)

But this is about the Samstar, add Azreal for 4++ ? ? ?

Edit: Man, I feel like a kill joy now :P

I'm loving the cheddar flavour though msn-wink.gif

That is the reason you want drop pods with Meltas and a few MM attack bikes msn-wink.gif

Or Landspeeders with missiles sitting back and pounding the enemy behind a wall of Ravenwing, and/or suicide landspeeders with MM's moving up in support of Ravenwing melta spam.

Now that's more like it; not just thinking about the deathstar but how to support it properly against credible threats :tu:

Against my proposed one, you'll need some Interceptor because it will wreck the Samstar in one turn from reserves (assuming the Samstar has been doing his job in enemy territory). RWSS will help there, how to arm the normal LS's?

:D

bs

Archived