The SamStar (DA deathstar unit)

depthcharge12

I feel that that is a bit too specific to counter. There are other ways that do not require you to buy additional units.

One way is to engage in melee, but spread your unit a way that prevents all of your units to participate, meaning that you will stick around for a while. Once the Vindicators have arrived, you HnR out of there and rip them to pieces.

If that is not an option, you can move into close proximity with enemy units to force him to readjust his shot.

You can also use his weapon against him if you are going second and reserve bikes. You are not at the mercy of reserve rolls with the RWSF.

Lastly, if you put your bikes horizontally and spread them out to full coherency, the Blast will hit 3-4 bikes, enough for Sammael to tank them. Even if he dies, the bikes survive.

Outplay him instead of trying to tailor your list.

This is a perfectly sound idea. It's the sort of thing this codex is made to do....  It's not unbeatable but it is very cool, and rare in that if unprepared, another army will have a lot of trouble with this unit.

The RWCS going up to 6 bikes (?) : Has been confirmed? Because I think that makes the Apothecary mandatory, especially with the loss of Fortitude banner. BUT... I would love to add my Libby Biker back into that mix, but I guess there's no resolution  on that confusion yet?

Also, I just want to say what's cool about some of these combo's is that we're talking about many models I already have, and not having to buy a 'special' web bundle to get this sort of stuff is a bonus. (Yes, I'm looking at you Skyhammer.)

I think the best unit to support these guys would be a RW attack squad.

Load up on 3-5 MM attack bikes and take a Land Speeder with a HB and TML. Shoot first with the LS to "mark" a target, then obliterate it with BS5 multi meltas :D

Probably one of the better and cheaper detachments to field with your SamStar to deal with Riptides or Knights. Scout up 12" behind cover, pop out and move another 12", and then unload your MMs for optimal chance of effect. Enjoy an effective first turn 36" MM within melta range, or the regular shot for 48". On top of that, you get the BS5, +1 to jink, and BS2 over watch.

Knock yourself out kid.

Archived