Spit-balling ideas: an Eldar-human hybrid

Welcheren

Seeking advice on a wild idea: I am curious as to how members of the forum would react to this notion as a plot-line.

The Eldar face extinction owing to the spiritual dilemma brought on by their past misdeeds, while humanity has been stagnating since the Emperor has been interred in the Golden Throne.

Somewhere in the galaxy guided by prescience visions, a breeding programme is begun to blend human and Eldar genetic strains, creating souls that are not automatically delivered to Slaanesh upon death, but also setting the stage for a race that will transcend the current stalemate.

Thoughts?

Sounds too.....not grim-dark. If however the some Rogue AdMech were doing it to enhance human DNA/abilities, then it's a different story. The Eldar would not do it, as they consider mankind as we consider monkeys, it would be too inconceivable to them.

There is precedent, however. Back when WH40K was still Rogue Trader, Chief Librarian Tiguras of the Ultramarines was a half-eldar.

Cheers,

Jono

Thanks. 

To suit the setting it would never actually succeed - such a thing would alter the overall story arcs of the different races too much.

One would need a willing Eldar - an outcast that is sufficiently different from the rest of his/her race. I thought that the point of such an idea would be its promise/threat to upset the entire 40k setting. That never happens, but the idea instills passion in those who come to believe that it might be a panacea for all problems, and similarly drives those who wish to exterminate such a heretical endeavour.

Sounds too.....not grim-dark. If however the some Rogue AdMech were doing it to enhance human DNA/abilities, then it's a different story. The Eldar would not do it, as they consider mankind as we consider monkeys, it would be too inconceivable to them.

There is precedent, however. Back when WH40K was still Rogue Trader, Chief Librarian Tiguras of the Ultramarines was a half-eldar.

Cheers,

Jono

Can I please have a source on this? I want to read this.

I think there is precedence for Eldar/Human hybrids, especially in the old fluff.  If I recall, Uriel Ventriss fights against a Half eldar, half human pirate queen-and is getting smacked around before his Company Champion Gloriously Intervenes and takes out the Trash.

There was some super old, archaic stuff (like back when the Crimson Fists were one of the Legions and Ultramarines were successor chapters) where the Ultramarines Chief Astropath/Librarian was a Half Human, Half Eldar hybrid.

From the Path of the Eldar books, eldar, Really, REALLY REALLY look down on humans, we can never be their equal.  Those that don't out right HATE us, dislike us because of our ignorance and we're only barely more tolerable than Orks.

I think it's in the dark eldar fluff, that Human Eldar hybrids aren't all that uncommon in Commorragh, due to all the unspeakable (and heretical) acts that occur there. They tend to be the subjects of Haemonculi experiments and other such horrible fates. 

This has got me curious though. I just thought of this, but if an eldar-exodite (maybe one of those that went primitive) world were settled by humans sometime before the age of strife (thus before all of the grimdark), and the populations mingled, to be almost unrecognizable from baseline humans (save a few exceptions, like uncharacteristic slight, and muscular builds, and pointed ears, and powerful latent psyker abilities), what would the Inquisition do? Especially if such a world were loyal to the Imperium?

Here is an image from the Rogue Trader book that shows the Librarian in question:

Link.

Your idea could be a good one, but as the B+C is Humanity-centric and not Xenos, if you posted said story here, it would have to heavily focus on Humans rather than the Eldar.

Could be an Radical Inquisitor's pet project, make more stable and/or powerful human psykers via careful genetic hybridisation with Eldar DNA, just capture a few Eldar subjects (preferably of the Craftworld or Exodite variety, for genetic purity's sake, Emperor only knows how twisted a Cormorraghite's genome is like with all the insane things they do to themselves), extract a few blood samples, pick & choose the desired genes once you've sequenced the genome and pray whatever abomination you create doesn't telekinetically rip your spine out through your rectum and beat you to death with it.

I like that. Maybe the rouge inquisitor is looking to do more than breed stable psykers. Maybe he's looking to breed stronger soldiers for his private army. After all eldar are stronger than baseline humans, not tougher, but definitely stronger.

I may incorporate this idea into a short story for my guard brigade. 

I like that. Maybe the rouge inquisitor is looking to do more than breed stable psykers. Maybe he's looking to breed stronger soldiers for his private army. After all eldar are stronger than baseline humans, not tougher, but definitely stronger.

Do let me know how when/if you post said story. 

Here is an image from the Rogue Trader book that shows the Librarian in question:

Link.

Your idea could be a good one, but as the B+C is Humanity-centric and not Xenos, if you posted said story here, it would have to heavily focus on Humans rather than the Eldar.

Good point. To me the main promise of such an idea is mainly how frightening and/or attractive and divisive it might be to those few who pick of rumours of the project.

• 4 weeks later...

So I actually have introduced this idea in my story, which is here.  I decided to make three of my Main characters human-eldar hybrids, though they keep it hidden. I decided that their world had traded with eldar during their long silence from the imperium. During that time a small craftworld was willing to cooperate and trade with them for mutual survival, after my world of Nieflheim was attacked by a chaos warband. Of course because eldar rarely do anything out of good will, they were working in their own interest, while the Nieflung managed to benefit. Of course when you get people working together in close proximity attitudes can, and often do, change (English settlers in the Americas, looked down on the natives like animals, but some settlers still did the deed with them). I plan on doing more sinister things involving this line of thinking though.

• 5 weeks later...

Does humanity really need stronger soldiers ? They've already got Space Marines... Why go heretical in breeding Xenos-human hybrids for creating stronger soldiers, when the Marines are already stronger than the Xenos in question ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suppose there could be a precedent in there somewhere.

For myself, I was wondering more along the lines of a desperate band of Eldar who come to believe that it might be way of saving their souls (disgusting though the idea of hybridising with humans might be to them).

As clarification I might add that I have been watching the old Children of Dune films again - so all that breeding got me thinking.

Archived