SHAME! When have your sisters failed you?

Well I know Miko's will fail her when they finally face my horde of slightly kinky Slaanesh marines on the field of battle... Then I will stand over her bolter shell riddled yet still twitching carcass and look up to the warp storm ravaged sky and scream.. 

Swiftly moving back on topic, I actually had a sisters army back in second ed when they first came out, the only time I ever rolled high was Ld tests :( 

Though I cant say that was the Sisters failing me, I was in a really bad funk and couldn't get my game head on at that time. I'd love to pick up with the Sisters again, I loved painting them. *Prays for Plastics*

I once did everything right and still got walked through.

The scenario was a bastion in the middle surrounded by terrain and the deployment where the SoB surround the heretics.

My opponent put a single squad of Scout snipers in the bastion and held everything else in Reserves for his standard hammer-and-anvil tactic.

I did not have enough to surround the bastion and still prevent DSing inside my perimeter, so I chose the most defensible end of the table, and went with a modified horns-of-the-bull skirmish line: I had an aegis line/quad cannon anchoring my middle backfield, Retributors and an Exorcist on my flanks covering the only two approach lanes, BSS forming a gun-line in the center, with Dominions and Seraphim in counter-attack position and denying enough area to DS into.

The Exorcist failed to remove the Scouts, the single survivor moving out of LoS.

The Quad Cannon didn't have any effect on the Stormraven that came on.

The Retributors wasted their AoF by missing most of their shots and couldn't slow down the Paladins.

The Exorcist rolled low and missed the few shots it had, missing my last chance to put wounds on the Paladins before the got into assault range.

The BSS shooting might as well have not even happened.

The Seraphim got shot down trying to maneuver into pistol range.

The Dominions got sucked into assault before getting to use their specials to any great effect.

The tight inside lanes of the center and careful positioning of the enemy meant my BSS got fed into assault one by one.

There were three or four moments when good shooting could have put my opponent back on his heels, giving me an opening to retake the initiative. Every single time I either missed or his thrice accursed Apothecary patched the few wounds I did manage to inflict.

During the AAR we were talking and I just couldn't think of a single thing I could have done differently on the table. My list was pure Sisters, and more or less the same Sisters list I play with to this day.

The only difference was the defensive posture, and I normally play aggressively with my Sisters. Given the scenario, terrain, and opposing force, though, I decided my usual aggressive style would just allow the enemy to get inside my deployment area and deny any chance of coordinating weight of fire. I still can't see what could have been done differently. Talking it through with my opponent during AAR he validated my decision to deny DS and force him to come down the firing lanes he ultimately came down. His plan had definitely been to do what I actively prevented. He had been worried about losing his momentum those couple or three times I had a clear chance to do it.

That I didn't allow my formation to be broken and get routed, and instead forced the battle into a grind, is the best thing that can be said about the game.

I remember very clearly how a squad of Dominions infiltrated perfectly to explode an Imperial Knight, rolled a whole bunch of 6's including for the explosion type, which proceeded to wipe out the Dominions and a bunch of other Sisters.

Shame, since what would have been an elementary exercise in sweeping in and wiping out the rest of his army became one of holding out. :P

Well, back in the Witch Hunter codex days, I managed to absolutely trounce my regular gaming buddy (an Eldar player) every game for about 3 months, then all of a sudden the Emperor seemingly abandoned my Sisters, and for 7 games in a row, my 20 Sister blob + Jump Pack Canoness (with the Xerox Book of St Lucius) managed to run off the table in turn 1.  It became a bit of a running (if you'll excuse the pun) joke...

He'd inflict the bare minimum number of casualties required, and then just ignore them, secure in the knowledge that they would fail their Ld test and run away, leaving a 400-odd point hole in my battle line...

On reflection, I now understand that it was the will of the Emperor, and he wished only for my Sisters to learn humility and to demonstrate to them the dangers of hubris and the fallibility of the human spirit.

Melt them down and remake them as more holy dice? It seems to work for the Ordo Malleus :P

Not gaming related, but the one Sister that decided to jump out of my hands mid paint job and elbow drop her squadmates last night, causing monumental chipping...

If she was Jump infantry then you only have yourself to blame

Ahaha! If only she was a Seraphim, then I'd be able to understand how/why this happened! :lol:

(Note to self - hold base FIRMLY whilst painting to avoid Wrestling style incidents with metal models.)

The only failures on the table when I'm playing Sororitas come from the other arms of Imperium.

I should stop running allies.

Two things stick out in my mind:

My Dominions would practically never pass their act of faith until I started putting Laud Hailers on their Immolators. This went on for months.

Once, in my wife's first real game, celesting died to a single long ranged plasma shot, and failed her LD 10 to get up. My wife went on to table me with her plasma cannons that didn;t seem to scatter.

• 4 weeks later...

Just my last game was a Tournament last round for the decider of who gets first.

No FW allowed, no named characters, no Fortificeations, Gargantuan Creatures or Super Heavies allowed.

Taking all this into account I was down Celestine, Ariel Defense without allies, Repressors, etc.

So final game I square up to my foe, I have not slept in 2 days and at this point I'm quite badly ill anyway but still I battle on.

My Sisters with Guard Allies for Vendettas to replace my Missing Avenger fighting an Eldar Jet bike force.

I choose to castle as he is much faster than me but luckily I get first go.

I pur everything into one squad of bikers at the edge of my range, all but 1 die due to some stupid level saves by my foe, 27 wounds caused, 5 got through.

Thats where is all then went down hill, Every turn I was causing bucket loads of Low AP rounds which were getting jinked on 2's and 3's due to going flat out and skilled rider etc.

Even by birds were glanced out of the air with the sheer amount of rerollable strength 6 rounds poured into them.

Everywhere you looked though, where we should of been winning luck was decidedly with my foe, my saves however... Nowhere to be seen, cover, invuns, armour... If I was luckly I made 1 in 4.

Sadly the only time my sisters have ever been tabled (at least it was turn 5).

As a final act of defiance with only 2 models remaining, my cannoness in no mans land on 1 wound and a exorcist on 1 hull point surrounded by his entire army but having to snap fire from behind cover pivotted on the spot and tank shocked his HQ with a 2+ emp grenade to use on my tank which even with rerolls to hit failed and got promptly crushed beneeth the exocist as it sped away from his lines.

The shame of failure was there but killing his HQ last turn still saw it end 23/17 to him and secured me 3rd place alone with a nifty little trophy. ;)

Archived