Forge World Open Day 2015 - news thread

Atia

Just don't ask silly questions that would lead to " would people here prefer a warlord titan or DA stuff?" Which would only lead us to getting loads of cool stuff before the DA get anything :p:devil:

How about expanding that to stop asking, "When is X coming out?" questions entirely. There's never a meaningful answer and it just wastes everyone's time.

Could you ask, why the playtesting/ balancing of the Legions for Prospero has taken so long and still isn't sorted. Or what the latest/ useless excuse is ths time as to why Prospero is still in the distant future?

Not every Thousand Son is a Psyker, so surely making each unit upgradeable with say a psyker with set powers like grey Knights have hammerhand and banishment as default for example.... Then use specific primaris/psychic  power sets for each discipline to be chosen by Coven units? Maybe drop their initiative and/or weapon skill by 1 to show they are more into the ark arts than gettting their hands dirty in a scrap?

Space Wolves can't be too hard to do. They are grey armured space marines with fangs & totems, with a preference for up close work.

Sisters of Silence, enhance deny the witch, make them small and squishy units so T-Sons can kill thrm off relatively easily by BOLTER fire, but allow them to huddle into other units

Custoodes are just elite Space Marines.

Is the balancng really that hard or are they just going to keep on delaying it because they do not like these legions and therefore have no motivation to work on them?

I.e. not the same lucky few legions which keep seeing more and more units pumped out...

Sorry had a really crap day and feeling a bit bitter about things.

Posted · Hidden by Brother-Chaplain Kage, June 30, 2015 - Answered, went off topic
Hidden by Brother-Chaplain Kage, June 30, 2015 - Answered, went off topic

My questions are:

What percentage of the ultramarines used praetor armor? Was it more common then mk 2 and 4? And was the praetor helm allowed to be used with mk 2 and 3 armor?

My second question is: Is the bolter fully auto, or only semi auto with burst fire.

Could you ask, why the playtesting/ balancing of the Legions for Prospero has taken so long and still isn't sorted. Or what the latest/ useless excuse is ths time as to why Prospero is still in the distant future?

Not every Thousand Son is a Psyker, so surely making each unit upgradeable with say a psyker with set powers like grey Knights have hammerhand and banishment as default for example.... Then use specific primaris/psychic power sets for each discipline to be chosen by Coven units? Maybe drop their initiative and/or weapon skill by 1 to show they are more into the ark arts than gettting their hands dirty in a scrap?

Space Wolves can't be too hard to do. They are grey armured space marines with fangs & totems, with a preference for up close work.

Sisters of Silence, enhance deny the witch, make them small and squishy units so T-Sons can kill thrm off relatively easily by BOLTER fire, but allow them to huddle into other units

Custoodes are just elite Space Marines.

Is the balancng really that hard or are they just going to keep on delaying it because they do not like these legions and therefore have no motivation to work on them?

I.e. not the same lucky few legions which keep seeing more and more units pumped out...

Sorry had a really crap day and feeling a bit bitter about things.

Being in Game Design myself, I can tell you that it is that hard and complex to balance stuff; mainly because you have to account for every possible combination possible (or close to) and make sure that theyre all viable, fair and equal to one another.

They also have the added mandate of representing the fluff for these legions in their rules to a Tee which adds another layer of complexity over it all. Sure, you could just make the SoS all have adamantium will but, in their fluff, theyre Blanks. Adamandtium will or bonuses to DtW dont adequately represent that. You know what does? The Culexus Assassin (in terms of psychic nullification). However, you cant have an army of those running around so howd you balance that? Especially when you have a legion whos biggest deal is that they have tons of Psykers. You cant very well nullify an entire armies bonuses with a single squad of SoS, now can you?

Its never as simple as others (or even yourself) would think it is.

Posted · Hidden by Brother-Chaplain Kage, June 30, 2015 - Answered, went off topic

My questions are:

What percentage of the ultramarines used praetor armor? Was it more common then mk 2 and 4? And was the praetor helm allowed to be used with mk 2 and 3 armor?

My second question is: Is the bolter fully auto, or only semi auto with burst fire.

Uh, we can answer that.

No one will give you a concrete percentage, it is an aesthetic variant of mark 4 armor so it would be categorized with the rest, and all space marine helmets are interchangeable. ADB has posted many times about how mixed armor would've been, even during the heresy, and especially by the time of the siege. 

The bolter has as many fire settings as the author needs. 

I admit that I am not a games designer and maybe I am not qualified to talk about games design. It just grates that they have stuck with a favoured few and not done much for the rest.

It is starting to feel like a FW pet project and they only want to focus on the stuff they like to do.

I know I am not the only one rustrated because their legion hasn't been covered yet, but it rankles to have the proposed book with the legions you really like in it, dangled in front of you and see it get pushed back and pushed back...

Then turn them the Sisters of Sience into small elite units or individual Culexus type models with a small null field around them, restrict the numbers so they aren't all over the board. The SoS were not an army or certainly not on Prospero. There were squads of them who were placed strategically throughout the 6th Legion to protect them

Make them a tactical tool, not an army in and of itself.

Custodes were also highly limited in number so do the same with them too, save tha actual army of Custodians to the Siege of the Emperors Palace, but make small squads which can be attached to loyalist armies, such as Arcatus and he 30 who went with Corax duting Deliverance Lost etc...

My questions are:

Uh, we can answer that.

No one will give you a concrete percentage, it is an aesthetic variant of mark 4 armor so it would be categorized with the rest, and all space marine helmets are interchangeable. ADB has posted many times about how mixed armor would've been, even during the heresy, and especially by the time of the siege. 

So during 30k, is it the Astartes choice as to what helmet, or even armor he wants to wear?

My questions are:

Uh, we can answer that.

So during 30k, is it the Astartes choice as to what helmet, or even armor he wants to wear?

He would get whatever is issued to him. 

I admit that I am not a games designer and maybe I am not qualified to talk about games design. It just grates that they have stuck with a favoured few and not done much for the rest.

It is starting to feel like a FW pet project and they only want to focus on the stuff they like to do.

I know I am not the only one rustrated because their legion hasn't been covered yet, but it rankles to have the proposed book with the legions you really like in it, dangled in front of you and see it get pushed back and pushed back...

Then turn them the Sisters of Sience into small elite units or individual Culexus type models with a small null field around them, restrict the numbers so they aren't all over the board. The SoS were not an army or certainly not on Prospero. There were squads of them who were placed strategically throughout the 6th Legion to protect them

Make them a tactical tool, not an army in and of itself.

Custodes were also highly limited in number so do the same with them too, save tha actual army of Custodians to the Siege of the Emperors Palace, but make small squads which can be attached to loyalist armies, such as Arcatus and he 30 who went with Corax duting Deliverance Lost etc...

Prospero isn't being held up because of rules, its being held up because of models. There are Iron Havocs, Tyrant Siege Terminators, Dark Furies, Mor Deythan, Headhunters, Laerneaen Terminators, Locutarus Storm Squads, Fulmentarus Terminators, and a whole slew of Mechanicum units left to complete. Not to mention characters from books 1-5 that have yet to be done. Perturbabo, Alpharius, and Corax are all due for release this year as well. The Space Wolves will likely get their two special units, and some upgrade kits, but the Thousand Sons will require more intensive work on the model side. In addition to that, Custodes and Sisters of Silence will need starter ranges like the Solar Auxilia had. 

My questions are:

Uh, we can answer that.

He would get whatever is issued to him. 

But i doubt they would issue a praetor helm with mk 2 armor. This is why i want mr Bligh to expand on this

You want Alan Bligh to use precious minutes in the seminar where he could be explaining future projects for the series, to tell you that how you model your marines is entirely up to you and all of it is acceptable in the background... ?

I get that your excited about the Heresy, and want as accurate an army as possible, I do the same thing. But these are questions that already have answers given to you in the background and art. 

You want Alan Bligh to use precious minutes in the seminar where he could be explaining future projects for the series, to tell you that how you model your marines is entirely up to you and all of it is acceptable in the background... ?

I thought he talked to people after seminars? If he only answers questions in seminars then disregard my question.

If you're concerned about someone with a praetor helm in mark 2 armor, it may not have come with the armor when it was freshly issued, but if the helm is damaged or something and all you have is a praetor head, then you'd end up with what you're talking about. 

If you're concerned about someone with a praetor helm in mark 2 armor, it may not have come with the armor when it was freshly issued, but if the helm is damaged or something and all you have is a praetor head, then you'd end up with what you're talking about. 

Thank you

Fairly sure there won't be a Seminar per-se, people like Alan Bligh will (hopefully, not guaranteed he'l be there, he normally is though) be behind a desk, and people will be able to approach and ask what they want. Plus he's more than happy to sign books too. It gets more tricky in the afternoon as the sales queue will be non-exist any and most people will have filtered into the exhibition area.

Just don't be surprised if some of his answers are non committal. At Weekenders during Q&A's he's notorious for ducking questions with a whimsical answer in a playfull tone. Obviously there will be a list of things he's allowed to talk about, and rather than flat-out say he can't talk about it or he doesn't know, he'll give you a "Maybe..." or a "Or did they.." With a playful glint in his eye.

With regards to Prospero, Alan told me a couple of months ago it was finding the balance in the rules that was causing the issue - if it weren't the case then he isn't the guy to say something like that to provide a 'viable' excuse, he'd just say it. I don't envy the FW designers their job, for these Legions they have one main shot to get it right, as there are a lot of people like us who have high expectations. I personally felt if they just gave units Brotherhood of Psykers and gave HQs the ability to buy Psyker levels, this would be a very dirty and I'll-thought-out solution. I'd rather wait for a Legion knowing they're going to do a great job, they've already broken the back of some of the more 'generic' Legions, and others like the Thiusand Sons will require some work to get them to a point where we are all happy with them. They've recognised this, hence the decision to release upgrade kits when they're ready, and not wait for the corresponding book to arrive.

Fairly sure there won't be a Seminar per-se, people like Alan Bligh will (hopefully, not guaranteed he'l be there, he normally is though) be behind a desk, and people will be able to approach and ask what they want. Plus he's more than happy to sign books too. It gets more tricky in the afternoon as the sales queue will be non-exist any and most people will have filtered into the exhibition area.

Just don't be surprised if some of his answers are non committal. At Weekenders during Q&A's he's notorious for ducking questions with a whimsical answer in a playfull tone. Obviously there will be a list of things he's allowed to talk about, and rather than flat-out say he can't talk about it or he doesn't know, he'll give you a "Maybe..." or a "Or did they.." With a playful glint in his eye.

With regards to Prospero, Alan told me a couple of months ago it was finding the balance in the rules that was causing the issue - if it weren't the case then he isn't the guy to say something like that to provide a 'viable' excuse, he'd just say it. I don't envy the FW designers their job, for these Legions they have one main shot to get it right, as there are a lot of people like us who have high expectations. I personally felt if they just gave units Brotherhood of Psykers and gave HQs the ability to buy Psyker levels, this would be a very dirty and I'll-thought-out solution. I'd rather wait for a Legion knowing they're going to do a great job, they've already broken the back of some of the more 'generic' Legions, and others like the Thiusand Sons will require some work to get them to a point where we are all happy with them. They've recognised this, hence the decision to release upgrade kits when they're ready, and not wait for the corresponding book to arrive.

Where can i find an itinerary (if there is one) for the day?

My questions are:

Remus, I wouldn't worry to much about who wears what. These soldiers will have their own preferences. Some will want the latest marks for all its advancements, others will like what they were issued in the beginning, carefully maintaining and artificing the armour, others will wear what they feel is practical for their battlefield role, some won't actually care and will don whatever. New recruits will probably get whatever can be issued, although again there may be consideration for their battlefield role. If you want each model to be striclty uniformed, go for it, if you want to mix it up, go for it. It's compleatly your choice.

My questions are:

Remus, I wouldn't worry to much about who wears what. These soldiers will have their own preferences. Some will want the latest marks for all its advancements, others will like what they were issued in the beginning, carefully maintaining and artificing the armour, others will wear what they feel is practical for their battlefield role, some won't actually care and will don whatever. New recruits will probably get whatever can be issued, although again there may be consideration for their battlefield role. If you want each model to be striclty uniformed, go for it, if you want to mix it up, go for it. It's compleatly your choice.

My slight ocd for lore accuracy can be very annoying.

thank you for this

I think the lore would reflect its variable. I mean MKIII is coming back into favour if you take the WB text for anything, as its got more frontal protection. Do what thou wilt. :p

@Remus; to quote Forge World's description.

Across the thousands of Forge Worlds producing battle plate for the Legiones Astartes, variations from the standard template have been introduced in deference to local customs, views on artifice and the requirements of the Legion being supplied.

Praetorian armour is a variant of Mk IV ‘Maximus’ pattern battle plate, produced in the factories of Ultramar for the most recently raised chapters of the Ultramarines.

This upgrade set comprises ten resin Mk IV Praetorian Armour torsos and ten resin Mk IV Praetorian Armour heads, including a Sergeant’s helm and one unhelmeted head, featuring Ultramarines Legion iconography.

This is a multi-part resin upgrade kit.

Assuming your chapter/company was recently raised then I would imagine the majority of equipment would consist of the Praetorian variant. Obviously this isn't likely to extend to command staff and attaches.

@Remus; to quote Forge World's description.

Across the thousands of Forge Worlds producing battle plate for the Legiones Astartes, variations from the standard template have been introduced in deference to local customs, views on artifice and the requirements of the Legion being supplied.

Praetorian armour is a variant of Mk IV ‘Maximus’ pattern battle plate, produced in the factories of Ultramar for the most recently raised chapters of the Ultramarines.

This upgrade set comprises ten resin Mk IV Praetorian Armour torsos and ten resin Mk IV Praetorian Armour heads, including a Sergeant’s helm and one unhelmeted head, featuring Ultramarines Legion iconography.

This is a multi-part resin upgrade kit.

Assuming your chapter/company was recently raised then I would imagine the majority of equipment would consist of the Praetorian variant. Obviously this isn't likely to extend to command staff and attaches.

Im going to base my army of the 4th, which would is apart of the first chapter, so one of the oldest. I guess this means the 4th still had lots of mk 2? Good think i ordered crusade armor :)

Thanks for this quote mate

I guess it's down to personal preference. iirc, the MkIV outperformed MkII, and the fluff describes the former as having almost completely replaced the latter by the start of the HH. As far as individual companies/chapters in the legions go... eh, we could do with some more fluff/art for them. After the modelling masterclass book is released it'd be a godsend to get a Chapter Compendium for the legions.

I guess it's down to personal preference. iirc, the MkIV outperformed MkII, and the fluff describes the former as having almost completely replaced the latter by the start of the HH. As far as individual companies/chapters in the legions go... eh, we could do with some more fluff/art for them. After the modelling masterclass book is released it'd be a godsend to get a Chapter Compendium for the legions.

This picture is of the underworld war and i believe most of the people are from the 4th.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/poster-mark-of-calth.jpg

A fair amount of mk 2.

I wish FW would give us a number of how common each suit was. sleep.png

Archived