Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Squig's Space Wolves - A Repainting 18/04/16

space wolves 40k wip

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts
  • Chapter Name: II, VI, X & XI Legions

My (almost) first post.  I got started on the hobby with the Stormclaw boxed set last year, but my attentions have been more with the orks as of late.  Enter, this thread.  It will hopefully serve to document the progress with the wolves I make, and also motivate me to keep at it.  To kick it off, here are some pictures.  Please be forgiving of the poor picture quality; I am in the process of constructing a light box and my camera is fairly lackluster.  If and when these issues get rectified I will replace the photos, but for now content yourselves with the fact that the minis look better in real life!

Krom Dragongaze

a3ef8ff2-e9ef-481b-95bb-4ee3f368d8bb_zps

Edited by Big Bad Squig, 19 April 2016 - 05:25 PM.

• Valerian, Rune_Priest_Rhapsody and Amarog like this

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

Here are some wolf guard terminators, painted up a while ago in the scheme of the Drakeslayers.  You may notice there are no transfers or freehanded iconography.  This is because I don't trust myself enough to do it freehand, and transfers are the shiny spawn of satan.  If anyone has any tips on how to do the iconography, do tell.

9af8c53a-ed9f-4b5f-9007-ecead996788a_zps

61806673-d1ef-4f31-a3e1-c778f06650d2_zps

C&C greatly appreciated!

Dantay VI

Dantay VI

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,990 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves

For decals, put down a layer of varnish on the pad, put the decal on and once dry, go over it with matte varnish or ata pinch Lahian medium.

It'll take the shine right off and help blend the decal in.

Nice start on your models and welcome :)

ETL 1v2

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

Thanks! I'll give it a go

Gherrick

Gherrick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,014 posts

I like the look of that axe! How did you get that icy look? I've been trying to figure that out, but most of the videos I've seen don't really have the look I am looking for.

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

I painted the blade with Temple Guard Blue, drybrushed with White Scar, washed with Nuln Oil and dabbed on a bit of 'Ardcoat.  It's the way I do all my frost weapons.  Do you want closeups?

Gherrick

Gherrick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,014 posts

I painted the blade with Temple Guard Blue, drybrushed with White Scar, washed with Nuln Oil and dabbed on a bit of 'Ardcoat.  It's the way I do all my frost weapons.  Do you want closeups?

Yes, please :)

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

9b498f5d-db86-4439-9eb1-f74db1280dfe_zps

• Valerian and Amarog like this

Gherrick

Gherrick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,014 posts

That is...awesome! It looks a bit more like weathered copper than ice, but I love that look! 

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

Thanks!  The pics are still a little off, but I think that's close to how it looks

Valerian

Valerian

++ EQUITES ALATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,236 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves and Grey Knights
Welcome aboard, Brother Squig.

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

3b33b86a-67ea-44d4-8fdd-fa8aa891cc84_zps

"Lo there, do I see my fallen kinsmen, Threads cut by the foe I now seek. In bloody battle I will engage him, And carve my vengeance from his flesh. No ale shall pass my lips, At no feast will I indulge. No foe shall stay my wrath, Until my brothers are avenged. Ever shall I hunt my quarry, Across the Sea of Stars. Whilst I yet breathe, I will not falter, Until Morkai claims his due."

This is my 1st lone wolf, Beowulf Flamebelly.  He is a member of Erik Morkai's Great Company, around which my Space Wolves will be centered.  Again, he was painted some time ago, and my skills have improved since then.  He might see a fresh lick of paint soon.  Below is Njal Stormcaller (obviously) - a more recent paint job.

9de5237b-7e8e-44d9-86f0-c11d83e188d9_zps

Edited by Big Bad Squig, 30 June 2015 - 03:40 PM.

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

Ulrik the Slayer

90678178-9b4b-40f7-aa82-e66933e051cc_zps

Fairly old paint job as well; he will almost certainly be rebooted once I finally get round to buying the SW upgrade sprue.

• Father Mehman likes this

Father Mehman

Father Mehman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,699 posts
  • Chapter Name: Clerics and Aechops

I like that crozius conversion, Brother!

gallery_83709_10451_1401.png
gallery_83709_11112_2220.jpggallery_83709_11472_4542.jpg

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

Thanks!  So simple and yet I think its pretty nice

KiltedMarine

KiltedMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 675 posts
  • Chapter Name: Hounds of Arawn
I second Mehman's statement. That's by FAR the best "home brew" Ulrik I've seen anybody do. Really like the scheme on the Termies.

As for freehand, like with everything else it takes practice. My recommendation is try it out on an old busted model you're not too attached to and work your way up. Also, lighter freehand stuff on a darker background is easier to paint over than the reverse. If you go the transfer route, I highly recommend Testors Micro-Sol and Micro-Set. And Army Painter Anti-Shine is a good brush-on matte.

"Guilliman is coming - LOOK BUSY!"

-The new warcry of every single non codex-compliant Chapter (Credit to Iron Hands Fanatic)

"Codex, y'say?  Aye, Lordship, it has a place of honor at the very foundation of our brotherhood!" 

::Points to tattered book holding up one corner of a mead bench::

-Llugh Swifthand, High King of the Hounds of Arawn, to Roboute Guilliman, 001M42

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

Rune priest on a bike

49a68620-16c8-4cbc-8187-397a8d6b1209_zps

Unfortunately for me the bike I got was horribly miscast, as you can see by looking at the exhaust pipes.  I had to cover a lot up with the greenstuff cape.

• Amarog likes this

Fytharin

Fytharin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 761 posts

It could be the quality of the camera making your strokes look blocky but I actually like how that looks. Almost looks like an acrylic painting style on your models giving it a nice weathered look.

gallery_24878_5332_16255.jpg

gallery_17224_3068_108.gif

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

It could be the quality of the camera making your strokes look blocky but I actually like how that looks. Almost looks like an acrylic painting style on your models giving it a nice weathered look.

It may well be a bit of both.

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

Bought a tactical squad yesterday: two were sacrificed to my lost legions project, but the other eight are going to join the ranks of the wolves.  So far three and a half have been built, one being converted to have maximus armour.

a1f0639e-91ca-4a17-a2af-bfa35d837110_zps

004ce448-d69b-4b98-84d3-a6526f18894f_zps

What do you think?

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

CLEAR!  CLEAR!  I'm detecting a pulse... yes, we have a pulse... it's - it's opening its eyes... it's alive!

Yep, we're back.  I've been away in Canada for a little, but I'm back now, ready to put some work into my new dark eldar army...  Yeah...  I did a bad thing while I was away.

But anyway, as penance, I finished building up the squad bar the wolf standard, but that will take a little while longer.  They'll get some paint whenever I can tear myself away from my lost legions, dark eldar, orks and daemons... msn-wink.gif

S1360014_zpsprvf0emb.jpg?t=1439307669

S1360015_zpseb3av2yp.jpg?t=1439307686

Thanks for looking!

Squig out

• Rune_Priest_Rhapsody and Amarog like this

Rune_Priest_Rhapsody

Rune_Priest_Rhapsody

++ EXACTOR INFANS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,711 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves, Lamenters

Welcome to the Fang!!

Nice looking wolves, brother!!

Green stuff work is clean too.

End of Line

Edited by Rune_Priest_Rhapsody, 12 August 2015 - 04:11 PM.

[color=#ff0000]Wolf Lord Kieran -"...and please dick-punch your friend. Such gaming practices should be corrected in a memorable manner." [/color]
[color=#ff8c00]NightHowler -[size=2]*Asvard's Drinking Horn: Once per game you can raise your hands, calming the din of battle, and take a drink from Asvard's Drinking Horn. While this has no effect in game, it does make you look extremely badass and will earn you more than one high five from the other Wolf Lords.[/size][/color]
[img=http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/unnamed.jpg][img=http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/Clawpic.gif][img=http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/redgem.gif][img=http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/redrune.gif][img=http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/d27adbc1-becd-4193-9699-52f00315067c.png]

Amarog

Amarog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 643 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vlka Fenryka
excellent stuff brother! even if the bike is slightly miscast you've done a great job on him. and doing a wheelie lets him move an extra 6" for being a badass right? smile.png
  • Big Bad Squig likes this
ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpgbestbanner.gif

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 718 posts

Long time no post!

Well, I had a free morning and nothing to do, so out popped a space wolf.  I have had a rather long period without any thought of wolves, as they were by far my worst looking army and I didn't think my take on the baby-blue scheme worked.  Additionally, the whole blingy aesthetic just really didn't work for me.  Thankfully, this morning I've rejigged my scheme a bit, and I think that the new scheme combined with more painting techniques learned over the past year makes this model look a lot better than those earlier in this thread.  Who knows - we might even see a few more wolves in the weeks to come!

793413_md-.JPG

Spoiler

As the spoilered pictures show, he has not been based yet.  Bearing in mind that I want my new wolves to be darker and grittier than my previous wolves, I don't want anything bright and snowy.  I was thinking either doing Prospero-themed bases (so that when Inferno drops I can have older marks of armour for use in both 40k and 30k) or painting up the base to be volcanic and lava-y like the base of my Red Talon:

Spoiler

What are your thoughts?

• Konnavaer likes this

Dantay VI

Dantay VI

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,990 posts

Its really dark, but I like it. Quite menacing.

Are you ETLing this year?

ETL 1v2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: space wolves, 40k, wip

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users