Ideas for the Lost Legions - Please Close this Thread

I'm Not sure which heresy book I read it in,

But there are two redacted files fairly early on in the crusade, both of which show the legion involved as the space wolves alone.

Looking at it, Id say as russ is the emperors executioner, Russ exterminated the 2 legions before the thousand sons.

There was a big thread about that when the book came out. I don't remember which book it's in.

The idea of Wolves as executioners is a myth. A myth started by the Wolves themselves.

Aaand we're back! Yet more love for the XI legion. Once I get home and have finished orks and begun a new dark eldar army (yes, I am mad) I will start painting those test models that were promised all those years ago. Then I'll probably make two separate threads to clean up this shambolic mess of ideas. Anyway:

The flames crackled in the near dark, doing pitifully little to warm the two men sitting around it.
"I heard they just call him 'the Terran'," one said.
"My friend met him, Jonah," the other piped up. "I never saw him again."
"That's terrible, man," Jonah responded, clutching his lasrifle.
"Sergeant says he saw him shoot a grox in the eye from two hundred paces," the other said.
"Sergeant's an idiot. Don't listen to everything he says, Mike," Jonah said, turning to face the fire. "I ain't scared of him. He's just stories."
A rustle pierced the silence.
"Ya think that was him, Jonah?" Mike said mockingly, "Is he coming to get ya?"
"Stop talking! I ain't scared!"
There was another rustle.
"Do you hear that?" Jonah asked.
"What was it?" he asked again.
"You can talk, Mike."
Mike was gone.

Jonah leapt to his feet, stumbling through the field. He looked behind him. Nothing. He carried on running, dashing towards the only light he could see. It was the camp. Almost there. He turned his head again. With a clang he barged into something metal, perhaps a wall - he struggled to tell what it was in the darkness. He ran his hand over it. Perhaps it would shelter him. He flicked on a torch, knowing he was safe. Everything was silent. He stood, turning the torch onto the wall he had run into. It looked golden brown, and was oddly curved and segmented in places. He shone the light a little further up. The light illuminated something pale. Something... smiling?

A sliver of steel jabbed into his chest. He fell to his knees. Everything went black.

And there you have it; two Imperial Army soldiers' encounter with Jon Lawrence. Now for some rules - super moritat incoming:

WS 5
BS 6
S 4
T 4
W 3
I 5
A 3
Ld 10
Sv 2+

Special Rules:

Legiones Astartes (XI Legion), Chain Fire, Shrouded

Bullseye:
Unless using chain fire, Jon Lawrence may fire two weapons in the shooting phase, and gains Precision Shot.

Wargear:

Artificer Armour, Frag Grenades, Krak grenades, Smoke grenades, Archeotech pistol, 1 phosphex bomb, charnabal sabre / power sword (which should he have?), Jump Pack

And also, the Legiones Astartes (XI) rule:

Cover and going to ground grant an additional +1 cover save (e.g. Ruins are 3+, going to ground is 5+, open ground is still no save). This does not affect Stealth or Shrouded.
Roll a D6 for each non-vehicle unit before the game. On a 6, they gain Infiltrate, Outflank and Deep Strike, but must enter play using one of those methods.
Some undetermined negative feature which I need help deciding on.

I have both backstory and persona for the Primarch, fear not! The Primarch being a blank is fairly central to parts of this story (e.g. The Emperor sending Russ and XI to bring him back into compliance as he fears the psykers of the custodes and even possibly himself would struggle against the blank-heavy II legion. This decision indirectly leads to the deaths of both II and XI.). I could change the fluff, but the main reason for me sticking with him being a blank is that I am stubborn enough for all the mules of the world to worship me as their god.

Maybe rather than a traditional Pariah he could be a kind of 'psychic frequency jammer'? Sort of like how you can jam a radio signal by flooding the frequency with static.

Could be he is a powerful psyker but could never fine tune his powers like Magnus so rather than controlled powers he just generates psychic noise that stops anyone near him being able to connect to the warp - preventing psykers using their powers and cutting normal people off from the warp?

Was an idea I played around with a few years ago when I wanted a legion of psykers that also used blanks.

Maybe rather than a traditional Pariah he could be a kind of 'psychic frequency jammer'? Sort of like how you can jam a radio signal by flooding the frequency with static.

Earlier on in the thread I did change the Primarch to be almost that.  On that note, I have decided to call the second primarch Drekavac, which is like the slavic equivalent to a banshee.  I still have not settled on a good name for the eleventh primarch, or legion names all together.  Suggestions would be more than welcomed!

Now, back to business.  At last I have returned to England, my beloved house and my beloved painting station.  Thus, I have painted up the two test models, the schemes of which are FULLY decided.

II Legion:  rank and file will be all orange, nulls are this colour scheme

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/demarcs/fc5845f8-4a81-4267-a925-0e00e043988b_zpslcxs2vsx.jpg?t=1438352197

XI Legion: rank and file.  (looks slightly less blood raveny IRL)

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/demarcs/7c5f9e73-4ace-42b6-88cf-99747bc2e411_zpseyzzzrbu.jpg

Just test models, mind, so are rough work

Thing is, Drekavac is already the name of an important darkmech Archmagos in FW book IV.

Well well well, Forgeworld.  You want to play it like that...

EDIT: Isn't it Draykavac?  Anyway, I can find another name if needs be.

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/pictures/homer/homer-doh.png

The Second Primarch has been renamed Koschei Kharkovic, in case anyone was interested. The fall of the second legion will also have undertones of the battle of Stalingrad as you can - if you know your war history - see from Koschei's name. I have also been thinking of making a unit for the second with compromised armour and weapons to be used during the siege as they ran out of supplies. They go a bit like this:

8 or 9 pts a model

WS 4

BS 4

S 4

T 4

W 1

I 4

A 1

Ld 8

Sv 5+

Bolt pistol, ccw

Legiones astartes (STILL NEED HELP WITH A NAME), stubborn, FnP (6+)

May upgrade one model to a sergeant (+1 A, +2 Ld) for 10 pts

Sergeant may take a breaching charge for however many pts they are

Sergeant may take a lascutter for ?5? pts (because of their Cumbersome rule)

One model in every five may take a boltgun for 1 point

One model in every five may take a lascutter for five points

Also, I am not sure whether to wait for plastic heresy models to come out to continue modelling (ForgeWorld is too expensive for a project as experimental as this) or to attempt more conversions and produce faster, sub par results. Opinions?

EDIT: Just been playing around on B&C paint

spacemarine.jpg

spacemarine.jpg

spacemarine.jpg

Soon (maybe tomorrow) I will head to GW to pick up some more marines.  I'm feeling I'm not doing enough models, so this will hopefully remedy that.  One shall be the mysterious apothecary featured below, but I'm not sure what to build the rest as.  As soon as the Heresy plastics come out, you can bet there will be a few more models in this log.  While we're on the topic of this log, I WILL SOON START UP TWO NEW THREADS, ONE FOR EACH LEGION, AS I FEEL THEY HAVE MOVED FROM THE IDEAS PHASE, and I also want to clear up some of the discarded rules that litter this thread.  Despite the fact that I have not posted some of my new ideas, they are there.  I simply didn't want to flood you with a wall of rules (he says, flooding you with a wall of fluff instead... because that's so much better...).  EDIT:  BTW Azus is the new name for XI

Atop the mountain, they continued to talk, the wind blasting away words here and there as the storm continued to rage.

“Do you see, Leman?  Do you understand why this cannot continue?”

“Understand is a little far, brother.  But I will call off the wolves.  Speak to our father; he will see that sending an army to your front door is not the solution.”

Azus announced his presence with a cough, hand hovering over his rifle.  The other two stopped talking, Koschei rising to his feet.  Azus flicked the rifle from its holster.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Leman scoffed.

“You don’t seem yourself,” Koschei said, retreating towards the edge of the mountaintop platform.  Azus cocked the rifle, baring his teeth.

“We needn’t fight any more, brother.  It’s over.”  Koschei opened his arms.  “Put the gun down.”

The sky darkened.  Cracks of lightning lit up the skies as the winds swept over the surface of the world. 

Azus lowered the rifle, the storm ceased for a moment, and he fell into Koschei’s embrace.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean…” he said, stopping as the winds began to swirl again.  They flew closer and closer to the Primarch, diving past his face, and whispering to him inaudibly.  Koschei’s knife glinted in the light.  The winds started to press themselves up against him, their voices growing in volume.  Azus’ grip tightened.  He could hear them now, screaming.  The sound was all around him, the sound of a hundred thousand voices screeching ‘BETRAYER!  BETRAYER!  BETRAYER!  BETRAYER!’.  Azus’s left hand reached down.  He felt his vision blurring and he suddenly became burning hot.  The voices were louder now, the loudest – he realised – was his own, gargling and howling ‘BETRAYER!’ into the wind and rain.

“BETRAYER!”

He clutched the knife.

“BETRAYER!”

He plunged it Koschei’s back.

“BETRAYER!”

And with one swift movement, he planted his foot on the Primarch’s chest, and kicked him over the edge.  Koschei only had time to ask ‘Brother?’ before he teetered over and tumbled through a layer of cloud.

Disengaging his narthecium, a space marine dressed in apothecary colours looked to the sound of screaming coming from above him.  He sidestepped, dodging the falling, bloodied mass of grey and gold.  The great Koschei Kharkovic himself, he thought, So glad to finally meet you.  It would seem things were going to plan.

Squig out

I'm feeling I'm not doing enough models, so this will hopefully remedy that.  

I'm sorry for not being more active (RL has become topsy-turvy here in Ohio as of late), but I just wanted to say this. Banish this feeling. While it's certainly awesome to have the legion growing before your eyes, don't feel like you must buy them. It took me a year to buy my first squad, and there are still other Missing Legions that don't have any models. You're making excellent progress, Squig, don't forget that.

Right!  I have copied all the rules from this thread into a word document, and we're ready to move house.  The lost legions will now get two of their own threads, where I will put models as I make them, along with rules, etc.  It will hopefully be less shambolic than this thread as a bonus.  Thank you all for helping me realize this project.

O almighty mods, please close this thread!

Archived